Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2003 3:35:34 AM EDT
I have a friend living in Okinawa that I want to visit in the summer. My wife, who is from Okinawa, tells me I would fool to go there in the summer because it is too hot to do anything. My friend that lives there says it's hot but not too bad. Any of you guys that have been stationed there shed any light on how hot it is in the summer?
            Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I was stationed there in 1970. I bought a window a/c for my small apt. I don't remember it being as hot and humid as Houston for example. John
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
'80-'85. First summer I lived on the economy w/o A/C.  It's hot, but no worse than Florida.  I ran almost daily, year round, often in the middle of the day.  As I recall, it's considered sub-tropical.

You gotta check out the water. Either dive or snorkel; it's absolutely beautiful.  Try to visit Shuri castle and as many of the historical sites as possible.  Okuma Falls up north is great.

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Was stationed at Camp Schwab several times, remember the weather was hot and the humidity was brutal in the summer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I was stationed there three times, twice at Camp Schwab and once at Camp Foster.  It will be hot and humid, but I've been in worse places.  Take a shower in the morning and evening.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
It can't be worse than Hawaii.  Like Hawaii, it'll probably be more tolerable on the windward side of the island, hot and dry on the lee side.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I was there for a year and a half, and I didn't find it all that hot, just very humid.

By comparison to the rest of the year, summer is of course the hottest time there, but not that bad compared to Yuma!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you're in A/C, you'll sweat like a virgin in a strip club. As soon as you trun off the shower, you start sweating. You cannot sleep at night unless you have A/C or a large fan blowing on you.

If you go during summer prime time, you'd be a fool, IMO. Go in the spring.

My .o2
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive never been to Okinawa but I doubt it gets much hotter than it is in Florida? because it
is not even in the "tropical zone"? you would need to go much further south until you hit the
tropical zone, like near Hong Kong and down to
southeast asia.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

.......you'll sweat like a virgin in a strip club.

My .o2
View Quote

[:D]

(I don't believe she was working when I was there.)

5sub
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies. I can't go any time but the summer. I have about 3 months off in the summer (teacher). My wife says I will have to take our 5 year old daughter with me. I think she is trying to weigh me down to keep me out of trouble. :)
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh you are asking about the weather, not kinville. I was at Schwab also, but in fall time thru spring, the weather is nice at those times.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

(I don't believe she was working when I was there.)
5sub
View Quote

As a customer, NOT as a dancer. I don't think there's a female virgin on that entire island.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top