Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you being modest about the Coverage area you need to patrol?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you being modest about the Coverage area you need to patrol?
View Quote
That is the size of my district.  We usually only hang out in the populated areas (where there is WiFi!) but we do patrol and respond to calls in all of it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:14:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Do the locals send you on wild goose chases for fun?

Cow out on the other side of the county, etc etc
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:16:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you hunt rabbits or prairie dogs on duty like I did? Isn’t it amazing how you have to learn verbal judo to be a sheriffs deputy in the county? Since you were the only guy responding to a call most times? Or at least that’s how it was in my rural county
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
We do get some calls that Im pretty sure aren't real but our dispatch requires names and phone numbers of RPs for most calls so send someone out.

We did get some city people call in a herd of llamas walking around in the roadway about a year ago, they were concerned their owners might not get them back.  When I arrived I let radio know that these llamas were actually elk and I didn't think I was going to find their pen.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hopefully a good dispatcher/calltaker can keep the number of that kind of crap down...
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you hunt rabbits or prairie dogs on duty like I did? Isn’t it amazing how you have to learn verbal judo to be a sheriffs deputy in the county? Since you were the only guy responding to a call most times? Or at least that’s how it was in my rural county
View Quote
I wish I could hunt them, I see rabbits all night long.

I have found that if I explain what and why is happening (if tactically reasonable) most people tend to go with the flow.  Being able to talk to people is a very necessary skill out here when your backup might be 10-45 minutes away.  I tell all my trainees that "its easier to go from the nice guy to the asshole than from the asshole to the nice guy when you realize you were wrong or misread the situation."  I have found that following the golden rule and treating people how you would like to be treated goes a long ways out here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hopefully a good dispatcher/calltaker can keep the number of that kind of crap down...
View Quote
Nailed it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#9]
What's the most interesting/fun call you've been on in the past ~3 months?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#10]
How many cows have you returned to pasture?

Our sheriff in this podunk county has a column on our little weekly paper listing what the dept has done that week (has for the twenty years I've been here) and one of the things he lists is "cows returned to pasture". After hundreds of these columns once he listed it as "bovines returned to pasture".
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#11]
when you run a licence plate number do you get informed if the owner has a ccw??

if so dose your pucker factor go up?? or dose that put you at ease ??

ps....thank you for the work you do!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#12]
are you suspicious when one of us lowly civilians tries to befriend you when he knows you are a leo??
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Shifts almost over, hopefully everyone awake

Thx again to ALL the fuzz / fire-folk / dispatchers, Ambulance folk, etc out there protecting us folk, God Bless you all and Merry Christmas!

Dr.'s / nurses / hospitals / PREACHERS / uh, and SO MANY others i failed to mention, here's a *fist bump* fer you too
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's the most interesting/fun call you've been on in the past ~3 months?
View Quote
I tend to remember the funny ones, or ones that are atleast funny to me.  When we get calls with descriptors they are usually grossly overestimated or wildly specific when there is no way that someone could know..like caller reports gunshots from a .45LC and a .375 H&H magnum specific.  So I tend to laugh when I respond to calls that are dispatched like that.  Got a call of 400 goats in the roadway...yeah, sure 400 of them.  When we arrived sure enough there was 400 goats running wild in the roadway.  Apparently there was a slaughterhouse I didn't know about and every single goat they had there had escaped.  We got ahold of someone who worked there and they said they weren't going to send anyone out so we cleared.  I have honestly never seen so many goats in my entire life before.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Our sheriff in this podunk county has a column on our little weekly paper listing what the dept has done that week (has for the twenty years I've been here) and one of the things he lists is "cows returned to pasture". After hundreds of these columns once he listed it as "bovines returned to pasture".
View Quote
Its been a long time since we have had a cows call, horses on the other hand are more frequent.  Horses scare me, I wont lie, and I have had my life flash before my eyes a couple of times picturing my death as I tried to get them back into the pasture.  Not exactly how I imagined dying on duty, not sure how that LODD funeral would play out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
when you run a licence plate number do you get informed if the owner has a ccw??

if so dose your pucker factor go up?? or dose that put you at ease ??

ps....thank you for the work you do!!
View Quote
No we aren't told and my state has no duty to notify.  13 years and I have never given a citation to anyone who has been a legal CCW holder and told me they were armed.  I just say "don't show me yours and you wont see mine" and then we usually talk about guns for a minute and off they go.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
are you suspicious when one of us lowly civilians tries to befriend you when he knows you are a leo??
View Quote
Unless someone is a friend of a friend we likely aren't going to be friends.  If I just meet someone and they immediately want to be my friend I would be suspicious regardless of if they know what I do for a living or not.  My grandpa once told me that people who want to be your friend before they get to know you are usually people you don't want as friends.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shifts almost over, hopefully everyone awake

Thx again to ALL the fuzz / fire-folk / dispatchers, Ambulance folk, etc out there protecting us folk, God Bless you all and Merry Christmas!

Dr.'s / nurses / hospitals / PREACHERS / uh, and SO MANY others i failed to mention, here's a *fist bump* fer you too
View Quote
Speak for yourself, I just hit the half way mark!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Speak for yourself, I just hit the half way mark!
View Quote
Halftime? Wow! Youz better find a dark quite alley and get you a cat nap in

Kiddin...i feel fer you Sir, take care & God bless you. Thanks Sir, from many of us......... (step out and do a few jumping jacks!)
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Last time I tried to figure it out my district is between 450-500 square miles with two of us covering it.  Lots of it are National and State forests.  Hundreds of miles of forest and DNR roads and only about 4 neighborhoods and one business that is open at night.
View Quote
Lmao
Sounds like my area.
Go to the BP at 11pm on a friday...its entertainment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We do get some calls that Im pretty sure aren't real but our dispatch requires names and phone numbers of RPs for most calls so send someone out.

We did get some city people call in a herd of llamas walking around in the roadway about a year ago, they were concerned their owners might not get them back.  When I arrived I let radio know that these llamas were actually elk and I didn't think I was going to find their pen.
View Quote
there are Elk in Zimbabwe?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Guess whose shift partner finds two suspicious vehicles full of stolen items and drugs an hour before end of shift?

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

there are Elk in Zimbabwe?
View Quote
Perhaps on one of those high fence game farms they have.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Guess whose shift partner finds two suspicious vehicles full of stolen items and drugs an hour before end of shift?

View Quote
That's a dick move if Ive ever seen one!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#25]
are you antifa ??

sorry i could not resist ......be safe tonight
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#26]
As a early riser and at work @ 0400 I enjoy reading. How would you respond if you had a car go by doing 68 in a 45. Once pulled over they rolled down all the windows, turned on interior lights. Tag comes back as FF tag, CCW. When you approach vehicle you see 2- AR15 in the back seat, plate carrier, and driver has a pistol in front seat. Driver has hospital ID and had been called in due to power failure at hospital.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As a early riser and at work @ 0400 I enjoy reading. How would you respond if you had a car go by doing 68 in a 45. Once pulled over they rolled down all the windows, turned on interior lights. Tag comes back as FF tag, CCW. When you approach vehicle you see 2- AR15 in the back seat, plate carrier, and driver has a pistol in front seat. Driver has hospital ID and had been called in due to power failure at hospital.
View Quote
I tend to be a little more lenient on FF, EMS, .mil, and other LE...pretty much anyone who might be in a position to save my life someday.  I guess I would be curious where you were planning on storing all that stuff at the hospital, Im not a huge fan of taking reports of car prowls where guns and ammo were in the trunk.  If speed was the only violation they would likely, as would anyone (22 over is definitely worth a stop but not always a cite), get a warning.  If the manner of driving was reckless or negligent in any way that changes things.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This has already happened and it cost me three days off without pay and a disciplinary transfer from a desirable job site with a set 4/10 schedule to where I am now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a bill/law passed in your jurisdiction, and your Chief ordered you to, would you go house to house confiscating legal owners guns?
Knowing, of course that it violates your oath?
Serious question.
This has already happened and it cost me three days off without pay and a disciplinary transfer from a desirable job site with a set 4/10 schedule to where I am now.
Good on you sir.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#29]
What's your stance on a group of young men that have set up a temporary 1/4mile race strip out somewhere on a seldom used rural road away from buildings and such ( to keep general public safe from their shenanigans)?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#30]
How did you go from US .mil to deputy in ZWE?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Equipment wise I am given and required to carry more than I want...or ever use.  I could do without a taser.

It isn't an equipment item but I wish we had more training (for the entire department) when it comes to DT.  When I was helping out with our DT program it was amazing how many people hadn't done any training since the academy or freaked out at the smallest amount of physical resistance.
View Quote
Something like that needs to be repetitively trained on an ongoing basis. Agencies won't spend the money, and many will be so afraid of injured officers that they'll avoid the topic during inservice training. You'll be on your own and have to do it on your own time
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

or 2 or 5...get out of here with your longer than 8 hour shifts!
View Quote
We'd love to work 4 10s.
The extra day off and the overlapping  shift manpower at peak hours would be wonderful
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What's your stance on a group of young men that have set up a temporary 1/4mile race strip out somewhere on a seldom used rural road away from buildings and such ( to keep general public safe from their shenanigans)?
View Quote
It’s all about the liability.  I remember when I was in high school and Fast and Furious came out.  Kids were doing this all over the place...and crashing into parked cars, buildings, semi trucks, and people.  There are places for racing and it’s the track for no other reason than if someone gets hurt they either signed a release or they are covered under some insurance.  I’ve seen enough crashes from speed to know that most drivers don’t drive as well as they think they do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have family from SA but I don’t live there and I’m not going to get arocked here.  Someone already posted a quote from me onto a local news site about a local issue  a couple years ago and it started an investigation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Something like that needs to be repetitively trained on an ongoing basis. Agencies won't spend the money, and many will be so afraid of injured officers that they'll avoid the topic during inservice training. You'll be on your own and have to do it on your own time
View Quote
We did an inservice with DT training a couple years ago and twenty or so people claimed that they were injured.  I think most malingerer their way into an OTJ injury for something pre existing...but that’s none of my business.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We'd love to work 4 10s.
The extra day off and the overlapping  shift manpower at peak hours would be wonderful
View Quote
Exactly, in my old assignment it was awesome.  They claim we don’t have the staffing to do it here but it seems that with the shift overlap there would be less need for full shift OT coverage if we even needed backfill at all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the Q&A, these are always an entertaining read.

Hope you and Vanilla Gorilla stay safe.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#38]
During a shift, how much time is spent on the road vs at the station?

When you are out, how do you determine where to patrol? For example, is it vague, like you are given a certain area and can do whatever you want?  Or specific, like drive roads x, y, z then sit at “this spot” and watch for speeders and drunks?

In my rural county the sheriffs tend to spend most of the night at the station. Every once in a while I’ll see a trooper sitting on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
During a shift, how much time is spent on the road vs at the station?

When you are out, how do you determine where to patrol? For example, is it vague, like you are given a certain area and can do whatever you want?  Or specific, like drive roads x, y, z then sit at “this spot” and watch for speeders and drunks?

In my rural county the sheriffs tend to spend most of the night at the station. Every once in a while I’ll see a trooper sitting on the side of the road.
View Quote
I got to the precinct once a week for roll call and ideally that is the only time I step foot there until next rollcall.  My precinct is about 30-45 minutes from my patrol district.  I am senior enough that I work the same district every night so that doesn't change.  Unless there is a patrol directive asking for additional area checks or a specific problem area I get to choose where and when I go around my district.  There are only a few roads where I can run traffic so I usually hit those early in the shift before everyone goes to bed and then I drive around checking parks, parking lots, and other areas where people who don't want to be found hide out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#40]
OST
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
snip... If I just meet someone and they immediately want to be my friend I would be suspicious regardless of if they know what I do for a living or not.  My grandpa once told me that people who want to be your friend before they get to know you are usually people you don't want as friends.
View Quote
Your grandfather was a wise man.  I am going to take that nugget of wisdom and pass it on to my children.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have family from SA but I don’t live there and I’m not going to get arocked here.  Someone already posted a quote from me onto a local news site about a local issue  a couple years ago and it started an investigation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh crap, sorry to hear that happened.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:21:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Your grandfather was a wise man.  I am going to take that nugget of wisdom and pass it on to my children.
View Quote
He was an admin clerk in WWII and after keeping it real (for lack of better terms) with a new Lt in England became a tail gunner on a B17 to get a transfer.  I don't know how many missions he flew but got alopetia aerota from the stress while there and lost all his hair.  This was advice he gave me before shipping to boot camp for the USMC.  He never talked about the war with my dad and only once when I got home from Iraq with me.  Truly part of the greatest generation.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I hate that song...both versions.
View Quote
Toto - Africa (metal cover by Leo Moracchioli feat. Rabea & Hannah)
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Made it 38 seconds.  I dislike all three versions that I know of.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#46]
It's my Monday.

Don't ask me anything.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Only cows? No goats, sheep, horses? We deal with all kinds of loose livestock.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Its been a long time since we have had a cows call, horses on the other hand are more frequent.  Horses scare me, I wont lie, and I have had my life flash before my eyes a couple of times picturing my death as I tried to get them back into the pasture.  Not exactly how I imagined dying on duty, not sure how that LODD funeral would play out.
View Quote
Meh, I carry sugar cubes for the horses and have a lead in my patrol bag.
Of course, I grew up with horses.
What about them scares you? Their size? Just a thing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember that. GD gonna GD.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#50]
I was a DT instructor at a prison. Amazed at how many people had zero ability, and didn't want to learn
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top