Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 4:23:38 PM EDT

www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s999697.htm

Santa's knee off limits in NZ town

A small town in New Zealand has banned children from sitting on Santa's knee because organisers fear liability if anything goes wrong.

Instead, children in the South Island village of Mosgiel will be asked to sit next to Santa, on specially decorated "elf chairs", as they discuss their Christmas wish list.

Organiser Gail Thompson, secretary of the Mosgiel Business Association that is organising the event, says the precaution is "ridiculous" but necessary.

She fears children could come back in at a later date with allegations about Santa's behaviour.

"None of us really want the risk of someone saying in 15 years' time 'When we sat on Santa's knee at market day... so they are sitting on elves' chairs."

Graham Glass, who will be Santa, was less than impressed.

"It's bloody ridiculous - I can't believe we have become so politically correct."

The town has also declared that vying for lollipops in a free-for-all would be too dangerous for the children.

They will instead be handed sweets from a basket.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Santa, is that an elf in your pocket, or are you just excited to see me?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That's stupid.  I'm only 19 and I remember when people weren't worried about all this PC shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top