Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 10:58:10 PM EDT
We've reached a point in America where freedom for all no longer applies.  Political Correctness (Liberal Communism) has crushed everything our Founding Fathers envisioned.  What a shame!

November 23, 2003

Albany, Georgia -- A Confederate re-enactor troupe has participated in the Albany Holiday parade for the last dozen years, but this year, their application was thrown out.

Organizers had to choose between the Confederate group and the Albany State band and chose the band, saying the Confederate group does not belong in a Christmas Parade. The re-enactors say it's pure racism.

Members of the Second Confederate War Between the States re-enactment group show students at Twin Oaks Elementary school what a soldier's life was like in the 1860's. For the last 12 years about 20 members of the group have marched in the Celebration of Lights Holiday Parade, but this year they're not allowed.

President of the Confederate Group, Harry Robertson said "It's out of ignorance. We are not racist. We are not the Klan. We are a heritage preservation organization."

Turns out, Albany State's band never even applied to march in the parade, but Parade Coordinator Lorie Farkas wanted them to. So she called band director Michael DeQuire Friday. His said the only way they would be in the parade is if the Confederate re-enactors weren't. Farkas said, "They did, they said it was offensive to them."

"How in the world could we cause someone else not to take part in a parade?" Albany State Director of Public Information Marsha Aaron reminds people they are not in charge of this parade."We had absolutely nothing to do with anyone being excluded. That was not our call, and not something we would want to do."

Farkas says "You know we're at the very end, the parade is a week away. And there is not time to sit down and have big discussions. Bands make a parade."

Parade rules require all entrants to wear holiday apparel. Farkas said "They have been in a long time. It's just slipped under the radar. I'm sorry that we did not address it sooner."

So why has the Confederate group been allowed to participate for the last 12 years without the rule being enforced?

They were told they could march, if they did not wear their uniforms. "They said we could put on our overalls and march in the parade," said Robertson. "We're not hillbillies. We're not going to break out our hound dogs and be Billy Bob and the Dukes of Hazard."

The Celebration of Lights Holiday Parade is paid for by taxpayers, who the Confederate group says are footing the bill for organized racism.

So the Second Georgia re-enactment group will not participate in Albany's parade, but will march in Moultrie's Christmas Parade, the same night as Albany's parade.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Having spent most my time growing up in “Yankee” schools I bought the whole revisionist history about why the Civil War happened, why the South was wrong, what a hero Lincoln was and that the Confederacy was misguided and fighting for the wrong causes.

Slavery was a blight on humanity that needed to be obliterated but I understand now the real reasons that the South told its brothers and sisters to the north to FOAD.

There is much to be learned from the study of history AS IT HAPPENED, not AS THE REVISIONISTS WITH AN AGENDA want to you believe.

It is a sad day indeed when a large piece of important history can’t be honored.  It further hastens our demise.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:12:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Will the Last True Son of the South kindly bring the Last Confederate Flag out of Georgia with him, when he leaves?

Eric The(Unreconstructed)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

We were hunting a boy's land Tuesday evening and stopped by to talk with him when we were done.  After a while, he invited us into his barn to show us the rack he had taken last year.  There, on the wall, in a place of honor, was the "Stars and Bars".  The government may have driven it underground but they have destroyed neither it nor the spirit it represents.  

Flame away, Yankees, we remain whether y'all like it or not.  Y'all have a nice day now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Being from Virginia I certainly support State's Rights. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:23:50 AM EDT
[#5]
And in Elbert County Colorado, the "Winter" Paegant is being sued by the ACLU for permitting Christmas songs like "Jingle Bells" and "Frosty The Snowman".
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:28:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Up here in the "NORTH", there are some rather large "Stars & Bars" hanging proudly from porches in my neighborhood.They have been there for years, so the "Spirit" is alive and well here in the DAMN YANKEES territory.[8D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Flame away, Yankees, we remain whether y'all like it or not. Y'all have a nice day now.
View Quote

Well, here is one Yankee who is firmly behind the South, their motives, and States Rights.

[size=1]Where is that damn confederate flag icon when you need it[/size=1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#8]
You know.  This is sad.  Those people weren't infringing upon anybody elses rights.  They have every right in the world to march in that parade, as they have done for a dozen years.  This PC nanny bullshit is way out of control.  I don't recall anywhere in the US Constitution where it guarantees the right not to be offended.  I'm sorry, but if a Confederate re-enactment group offends you, maybe you should stick the pacifier back in your mouth and go crying home to mommy.

The flags of The Confederate States, in all their variants, are still American flags.  They represent a significant part of the history of our country.  So what if it's not our national flag, neither is the flag of the 13 Colonies, does that mean you shouldn't be allowed to fly it?  The Civil War (and if that term offends you, fuck off) affected the entire nation, and to try and pass any part of it off as offensive is to ignore where we came from, and what our forebears went through.

As for the generalizations about Yankees, bite me.  We're not all how you make us out to be.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Flame away, Yankees, we remain whether y'all like it or not. Y'all have a nice day now.
View Quote

Well, here is one Yankee who is firmly behind the South, their motives, and States Rights.

View Quote

Thanks for proving my point, btw [:)]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#10]
This is just more proof that our beloved country is going to hell in a handbasket. I was born in Tennessee but, because of adoption, grew up in Michigan. When I was in grade school we'd play "war" and I, along with a kid that was from Ky. would always be on the Rebel side. I love the South, it's in my blood and I'll be damn if anyone tells me that I can't fly my Rebel Flag.  I'm not a raisest, heck my wife is Hispanic so I'm far from being raisest but if any Yankee thinks he can tell me not to display the colors that represent the history of the part of the country where I was born then he can kill my Rebel dick.  Has everyone forgotten that over half the people that died in the Civil War were from the South AND American too.  I've seen Mexicans flying the Mexican flag and that's fine with me, everyone should take pride in their country of origin but time about is fair play and we(Southerners) have just as much a right to fly our flag as anyone else.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
States don't have rights.  States have powers.  Only individual people have rights.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Pretty reressive and it smacks of communism!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

After the next revolution, "Live Free or Die" should be the National motto....

-HS
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Thanks for proving my point, btw [:)]
View Quote

Son, with that kind of spirit, y'all belong down here with us.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#15]
When I was in public elementary school (starting in 1966), every year the teachers would start reminding us a week ahead of time to bring flowers with us on Confederate Memorial Day. Ladies from the UDC would pick them up to decorate Confederate graves on that day. Times change, don't they?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 The Civil War .....
View Quote

That would be "The War of Northern Aggression".

[:D] (TSSRA)
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 The Civil War .....
View Quote

That would be "The War of Northern Aggression".

[:D] (TSSRA)
View Quote

Indeed, Old Painless.
There wasn't anything "Civil" about it.

Also referred to down here, as "The Recent Unpleasantness".
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I hate parades!

Anyways, people here where I live are so misinformed about what the Confederate Flag means.  Three of my good friends where born in Pensacola and raised in Atlanta.  They wear confederate stuff all the time and proudly display their southern heritage.  You wouldn't believe how many people see the stuff and think raceism.  

I like it however, I practically embrace it now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#20]
something is wrong here!

we have a SOUTHERN THREAD and no one has called us "BIGOTS and HICKS" yet.

mike
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
States don't have rights.  States have powers.  Only individual people have rights.
View Quote

Individual people will have power as soon as they start taking matters into their own hands, and stop letting the guv'mint run their lives for them.

I'm with you guys. I might be a Yankee but the south was right.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#23]
They should have said they were marching as Yankee spies dressed as Confederates.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I was going to up hold the honor of the North and rip someone, but then I had a thought -
southern women, never mind [:)]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess "respect [B]my[/B] diversity" is a one way street. Sad

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[V]

View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Bottom line is the democratic party is anti Bill of Rights and is influencing the nation.

And even though it was not a racist group, I ask you this...so what if it was?

You have "Brown Pride" stickers, "La Raza" stickers, "Black Power" and it is defended by people, even white people!#@#*&^*&%

But if you have so much of an hint that someone is into white pride they are treated like the devil. Makes no sense to me...
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]
The Confederate States of America, a sovereign nation established after certain northern states violated the constitution (a contract between the states) making it null and void.  Upon establishment of the CSA, those that decided to remain in the no longer valid USA realized that they would lose the majority of their agriculture and influence they held over the southern states.  Then, the USA, invaded the CSA.  The only reason that the USA won the northern war of agression was purely numbers.  They had more bodies to throw away.  (and they did.  More yankee soldiers were killed in the war than southern)  Any current american that believes in the constitution should also believe in the CSA.  Those of us that fly the stars and bars or the dixie blue, due so out of respect for the men that gave their lives for their country.  It is not racism, but pride of heritage and respect for those that gave.  

My whole hearted support goes to the re-enactors and I pray that this parade is observed by no one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#29]
The South will rise again.....

And if it comes to fighting, I will be there alongside them.....  All y'all

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#30]
And how many of you whiners are going to go to Albany, Georgia to attend that parade with your flag raised high to give them a piece of your Southern mind?

*crickets*

Thought so.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The South will rise again.....

And if it comes to fighting, I will be there alongside them.....  All y'all

[:D]
View Quote

Being that your a canuk you may need to hire a translator and bring your own beer .
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#33]
As a Yankee that has lived in the South and has Family in the South.........I think excluding them form the parade was a slap in the face to all Americans..........Weather you like it or not the Southerners that fought in the war were  honourable,couragouse Men and deserve to be honoured!!..They are and for ever will be part of American heritage!!..........at least in my house.......just my .02 worth
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sorry, [b]Kar98[/b] that you seem to think that our failure to do so in some manner lessens this insult to our region and our heritage.
View Quote

Sorry, [b]EricTheHun[/b], you still seem to have that problem of not understanding written matter. How the hell did you come up with your interpretation above? I /do/ think, nay, know! that they can only push you if you let them.

I just suppose that you haven't lived in the South long enough to understand.
View Quote

Long enough to see that the "I'm a victim of oppression!" attitude prevalent in one part of the population seems to be spreading to the other part as well.

By the way, here in Texas, we hold the Alamo pretty special, as well.
View Quote

The what now? [img]http://www.generaldiscussion.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif[/img]

Eric The(MaybeYouCanAttendNightClassesToCatchUp)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Right. As soon as I can find somebody who can spell his name without copying it from his driver's license.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, here in Kanada (next to maine) there's a reb flag draped over my cabinet which has all my battle gear in it. Like me, my old man was raised open minded, and he/I always tried to see through the propoganda. The south was attacked, they defended, period. Too bad they lost, there wouldn't be as many libs if they didn't I bet, and no AWB, and common sense would be more common!

Legalize freedom
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I resemble that remark.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Confederate States of America, a sovereign nation established after certain northern states violated the constitution (a contract between the states) making it null and void.  Upon establishment of the CSA, those that decided to remain in the no longer valid USA realized that they would lose the majority of their agriculture and influence they held over the southern states.  Then, the USA, invaded the CSA.  The only reason that the USA won the northern war of agression was purely numbers.  They had more bodies to throw away.  (and they did.  More yankee soldiers were killed in the war than southern)  Any current american that believes in the constitution should also believe in the CSA.  Those of us that fly the stars and bars or the dixie blue, due so out of respect for the men that gave their lives for their country.  It is not racism, but pride of heritage and respect for those that gave.  

My whole hearted support goes to the re-enactors and I pray that this parade is observed by no one.
View Quote

First of all, the reason the CSA were established was not because of Constitutional violation by the north, but by fear of political domination by Abraham Lincoln and the Republican Party after the election of 1860.

Secondly, you imply that the USA attacked the CSA because they were economically dependant. a) they attacked because the south seceded b) the Union was not dependant: the South produced only 4 percent of all locomotives and only 3 percent of all firearms manufactured in the United States in 1860. The North produced almost all of the country's cloth, pig iron, boots, and shoes. You also say that the North won only because they had more men, which is partially true. They did have more men, but the South would have more if they would've had the equipment for the 200,000 enlistees it turned down in 1861. The South lost because they had Navy, no foreign aid, and internal political problems.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I know very little about the recent unpleasantness but I just got back from visiting the sites of the battles in and around Fredricksburg.
From visiting the sites and reading a little I have to think the South was tacticly superior with better leadership.
The North was hampered by idiots like Burnside.
The death of Jackson surely played a big part in the South's loss.
Last week I watched Gods and Generals and I dont think the movie was as accurate as it could have been. They left out the battle at the "Bloody Angle" where the Army of the North again threw troops needlessly into a meat grinder.
Seems to me the South had better defensive positions and chose their fights better. I think they could have won if Jackson hadnt died and they were better supplied.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Forget it Buffalo- Soldier, the factss that the South was unable to build RR engines, roll RR rails, build real ships, adequately supply it's troops, split it's vote in the election, seceded (I heard it was the Jewish lawyers and bankers that forced all those fellas at all the conventions to vote the way they did), PGT Beuregard had a gun held to his head and he held a gun to Ruffins head in Charleston.  All them Damn Yankees forced them to do it.  The Yankees forced the GA gummint to hold on to supplies and not send them to Lee when his troops were starving.  

You got some of the fireeaters advocating expanding slavery into the Caribbean and Mexico, at the same time Mexico is being subjugated by England and France, so they want to expand their economic into the Spanish held islands, putative French and English zones (Caribbean Islands and Mexico) and think England and France are going to come to their rescue at the same time?  Yeah that was good thinking and timing.  Yeah we have all this good cotton that Europe can't live without (oops), we want to convince the English gummint to support us when most of the leaders in England are anti-slavery, etc

Depending on foreign powers to come to your rescue when all the economic incentives for them  are for them to let you stew in your own juices is not good planning.

Yeah it's all the Yankees fault.

Most Northerners were not abolitionists, the North didn't need the South for it's economy, the Northern labor class sure didn't want to free the slaves to be competitive with them.  The North was willing able to expand into the northern plains, build the Union and Central Pacific RRs, continue the industrial build up and fight the war.  If they hadn't fired on Sumter, Lincoln would not have had the political oomph to call for troops.  There was no political will to fight until Sumter.  The South could have bumbled along and maintained the status quo.

We had spirit yes we did, we had spirit how bout you?

hmm the North had more men, more guns, bigger Navy, bigger mercantile fleet, better rail transportation system, ability to build RRs and all kinds of RR equipment.  And they allowed education to almost all of their citizens, they allowed almost all men to learn and practice skilled trades, oh yeah and after Sumter the had the spirit too.

I've yet to see any Southern Revisionist come up with any kind of reasonable argument on why it made sense for the South to start the war.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't really want to post what I feel like telling Farkas but it rhymes with the name.

Just one more example of tradition going to the wayside in favor of liberal political agenda's which getting your black rifle is one.

Tj
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks to all for replying to my post.  Kinda got an 'ol Southern Boy choked up seeing all the Yanks, and Canadians too, coming to the defense of the South.  

What a lot of people don't understand is being a "Rebel" is not geographical.  Being a "Rebel" is what it means to be an American.  Those who will stand up against tyranny, rather than run like sheep.

Political Correctness is a death sentence for this county.  Regardless of how you side on the Civil War.  This same type people who would ban a reenactment group from a parade, would take your gun in the blink of an eye!

And it won't just stop with things "Confederate."  Keep this in mind... There never was a slave ship flying a Confederate flag.  Trust me, the American flag is the next one on the liberal’s chopping block.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top