BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sell refurbished safety razors in my shop and stand behind them.  They'll give you a closer shave with less razor burn.  And with some care, a razor will last you a lifetime.  The ones I sell in my shop are anywhere from 50-90 years old are are still going strong.  I highly recommend giving it a try.

https://i.imgur.com/K5IihK5.jpg
View Quote
You sell them online? Give us a link to your shop!  Vintage safety razors are the cat's ass!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my MicroTouch, the dingle berry from pawnstars is on the box ROFL which played zero impact on me buying it, but it was the only safety razor I could find locally which was at the CVS right down the street. Dirt cheap to replace blades for vs that $20 for 4-5 crap. Practically impossible to clog too, just has a bit of a learning curve to it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I like and use This.

Good weight, long handle.

I second proaso. I use white. However, I am about to try a new kind.

I am using Israeli Blues. I like them but will try another kind next purchase.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The 'safety razor' came in many years ago as an alternative to the 'straight razor' and immediately became the standard. All razors today that either have a cartridge or a single blade like the old originals are 'safety razors' because the 'straight razor' still exists. It is much harder to cut yourself with a safety razor, hence the name.
Personally I use an electric shaver then go over it with a disposable, three-blade safety razor, dry. Good shave, no cuts, no lather, no water, no mess.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried safety razor 6 years ago and never went back. Using a 1940's gillette super speed and Astra blades. Feather blades are great too but don't start out with them, extremely sharp. Great shave.

Im not up on the newer ones, when i researched a lot of suggestions were to buy a vintage razor, so I did. Ebay has a ton. I paid less than $15 for a 100 pack of blades shortly after starting to use the razor and Im maybe halfway through them. You'll safe a ton of money over the cartridges. You can start out with a sample pack of blades to determine what you like best.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a vintage adjustable gillette. Be care of people selling slim gilettes as fatboys if you buy one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Safety blades are not safe if you don’t know how to shave with one. Shave slowly, let the blade do the cutting. Do not shave quickly until you learn a system.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Merkur razor with Voskhod blades.

I used to like Feather Blades until I tried Voskhod.

I tried a Feather blade this past week end and hated it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought the cheapest one available on Amazon. Use quality razors like Astra or Feather, and look up the technique on WikiHow.

For me, the shave isn’t any better or faster, but it’s cheaper and I don’t get any razor burn on my neck that all the 3, 4, 5 blade wunderrazors give me. In bulk, quality double edge razors cost under 15 cents each. When I used cartridge razors, a 5 dollar head wouldn’t last 3 shaves. Now I can shave every other day for essentially free.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You sell them online? Give us a link to your shop!  Vintage safety razors are the cat's ass!
View Quote
I don't currently have the razors online, just in my brick and mortar, but am working on it.

Here's my shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Houndstoothkid
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought 4 Gillette razors off ebay. Range from 70 to 100 years old. Didn't pay more than $15 for any of them. 7 o'clock and Silver Blue blades work great and I can get them locally.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread reminded me I need to buy some blades. 300 Astra blades for 25 bucks shipped on Amazon. Under 10 cents each. Probably last me 10 years.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I use van der hagen razor and derby extra blades.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a bunch of different razors I've collected over the years. My favorite are the Merkur 38c Barber pole and a early Gillette Super Speed. I mostly use Red Personna and Shark blades. Blades are a very personal choice. As others have said buy a big sample pack of blades and find one you like.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have this one.
it's better than the Merkur Progress adjustables.

I use Personna blades and Proraso cream in the toothpaste tube.

Parker adjustable

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/128929/parker-variant-adjustable-razor-black_590x_jpg-738929.JPG
View Quote
if I ever upgrade I will probably get that it looks awesome.

I use a merkur with either persona prep or feathers. start with something like gillette 7oclock or astra's and once you get the feel for it try feathers. if you start with the feathers plan on blood. lol.

the thing is you seriously need ZERO pressure and it takes a bit to get used to since you basically drag a mach 3 across your face.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#18]
WWBFSW

What Would BigFoot Shave With?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I don’t think I meet an asshole once a month. Seems Rogueboss meets assholes every day.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#20]
In a word: fetish
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In a word: fetish
View Quote
Cheap, effective grooming. Like anything else, some people make an expensive hobby out of it. The same could be said about gun guys.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Walgreens has a house brand of blades made in Israel that are awesome.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
if I ever upgrade I will probably get that it looks awesome.

I use a merkur with either persona prep or feathers. start with something like gillette 7oclock or astra's and once you get the feel for it try feathers. if you start with the feathers plan on blood. lol.

the thing is you seriously need ZERO pressure and it takes a bit to get used to since you basically drag a mach 3 across your face.
View Quote
I've been using the Parker for about a year and really like it.
I broke two of the Merkur Progress razors ( they just fell apart). I prefer the Parker to my 1964 NOS Gillette Slim Adjustable.

the best blades ever for me are the Personna Med Preps, which are twice the price of regular Personnas.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Walgreens has a house brand of blades made in Israel that are awesome.
View Quote
probably repackaged Personnas.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I love new tech.

But I have to wonder why, if new razors are so good why do they always tear my neck up and cost so much?

This is one of those rare cases where the old way actually is better. Cheaper, closer, less irritation. Just takes a little more prep time and technique though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technology has improved since the dark ages when they were commonplace.

Schick Xtreme 3 FTW.
I love new tech.

But I have to wonder why, if new razors are so good why do they always tear my neck up and cost so much?

This is one of those rare cases where the old way actually is better. Cheaper, closer, less irritation. Just takes a little more prep time and technique though.
nonsense.
You can't compare spending 15 minutes shaving every single pore of your damn face from 6 different directions to 2 minutes easy peasy with a Mach 3.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Another for Feather Blades.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
nonsense.
You can't compare spending 15 minutes shaving every single pore of your damn face from 6 different directions to 2 minutes easy peasy with a Mach 3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Schick Xtreme 3 FTW.
I love new tech.

nonsense.
That is a false dichotomy.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Once you go To a double edged safety razor you won't go back. Amazing shave quality, cheap, less irritation, what's not to like?

I use a Merkur long handle with Astra superior platinum blades. Omega brush and Colonel Conk's shave soap. I have used cream and still do sometimes but the soap is just as good and much faster to build a lather.

Get a cup, a puck of soap, a decent brush, a decent razor and a trial pack of blades. Initial investment may seem steep but it pays off quickly. Been working on a 100 pack of blades for three years and probably have five more years before I need to buy more. A few months worth of the fancy blades will pay for years of shaving with a DE.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
nonsense.
View Quote
Calm your tits. Nobody says that. I shave with my DE no differently than when I used a Mach 3.  Only instead of spending $45/m on blades, now I spend $2/m.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll still occasionally grad the wife's razor for a quick knock-down but the effort of using the Merkur is worth it.  A better shave than any cartridge razor I've ever used.

I use a Merkur 34C with Feather blades, Taylor of Old Bond Street Peppermint soap.  It smells great.  I'm planning to pick up a sample pack just to see what's out there.  Kinda want to try the Lavender.

Recently grabbed a pre-shave oil.  Jury is still out on that as far as cost vs benefit.  Smells nice though.

OP, just get a shaving set from Amazon and try it.  I think mine was $35 or so with razor, mug, brush and holder.

You WILL cut yourself in the beginning but that will get better in a hurry.  Once you figure out the angle and pressure, you're golden.  And hooked.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Schick Xtreme 3 FTW.
I love new tech.

nonsense.
Yes I can, because the time difference is not that much, the quality is better, and the irritation less with safety razor.

So no, it's not nonsense.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Calm your tits. Nobody says that. I shave with my DE no differently than when I used a Mach 3.  Only instead of spending $45/m on blades, now I spend $2/m.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nonsense.
I've used the Mach 3, and his statement is wrong on all accounts. Pretty much the same prep, and method. The Mach 3 never gave me as good of a shave as my DE.

I'm a morning person. I like to take my sweet time. My shave time, going over my face twice, still takes less than 10 minutes. Nothing about switching messed up my routine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Grow a beard, hippy.

If you want to shave use the mach 3.

Fucking safety razors suck.
View Quote
Pretty sure hippies are a subset of beard growers
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just FYI, there is an arfcom shaving subforum.

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor with Astra Superior Platinum blades (box of 100 for $10 on amazon).  If you decide to get a double edge safety razor then do yourself a favor and get a sample pack of blades as not all work the same on all faces.
View Quote
This except feather blades.

I switched from Mach 3 to a DE89 6 years back and immediately took care of the razor burn and ingrown hairs I would get on my neck.

It could have been the new razor, but it also could have been the fact that it forced me to slow down and pay more attention to the way I shaved.  Either way, I’ve never gone back to a newer style razor.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I use a straight razor, but I always liked the vintage Gillettes when I used a safety.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, do it! About 5 years ago or so I got into the safety razors. Day to day I still use my Braun electric because it's fast and I get very little irritation. Disposable razors made me break out really bad with lots of ingrown hairs. I switched to safety razors and it mostly went away. I still get some irritation on my neck, right along the collar line. If I let my beard grow for more than a 2 days I'll use my safety razor though. Feather blades are great, but definitely start with a sample pack to figure out what your beard/skin like.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh , this is the thread where all the pussys show up and tell you how a safety razor is the devil and you'll cut off your head.

Hahaha bwahahaahahah

The real crime is using those super 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever they have now. What a freaking gimmick! !

Get a nice handle, some blades, a brush and some soap in an old mug.

Lather that shit and go to work at it.

I've used a safety razor for the past 5 years and have currently myself maybe 3 times.

Expensive gimmick razors are just gimmicks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Meh. I used safety razors for a while and loudly proclaimed their perfection and how I was never going back.

Then I realized I was wasting a stupid amount of time doing it and went back to my Gillettes.

I have no issues with sensitivity or ingrown hairs or anything like that so YMMV, but my brief time as a hipster artisan shavemaster was pointless aside from the personal experience.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a Merkur (23c I believe) & a vintage Gillette butterfly opener with a plastic handle.
Feather or Blue Bird razors.
Van Der Hagen used to sell a kit that came with a brush, stand, & a bowl. Found mine at target for around $25-30.
Pretty sure the brush is boars hair. It's served me well enough.
I buy the soap pucks from Walgreen's. They are like 2/$5 & I found them sufficient.
My current job doesn't require that I shave so I have a beard now, electric trimmer to keep it squared away.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I switched from disposable to a merkur safety about a year ago. Great change. I typically shave once a week and it was a pain in the ass to clear the hair from the disposable every pass. With the safety razor they hair just falls right out.

I got the razor and a 100 bulk variety pack off amazon. Blades were like 10 bucks for the pack. Would suggest getting some kind of box to store the used blades in. I just got a little plastic blade disposal box for $5 or so.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Meh. I used safety razors for a while and loudly proclaimed their perfection and how I was never going back.

Then I realized I was wasting a stupid amount of time doing it and went back to my Gillettes.

I have no issues with sensitivity or ingrown hairs or anything like that so YMMV, but my brief time as a hipster artisan shavemaster was pointless aside from the personal experience.
View Quote
Yes because anyone who does something that's cheaper and works better for them must be a hipster.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#43]
I have used one for close to 40 years, there are a lot better razors out there that give better shaves. There is a learning curve to using them and you can cut the shit out of yourself if you aren't careful. I guess I am just to set in my ways to change to something else.
Give it a try and see if you like it and remember you get what you pay for in the blades.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#44]
If you are going to try it OP you really need to a sample pack with a variety of different
blade types. Which type you like the best will depend upon your face.....
Lots of people here like Feather brand blades, I can't use them...
Once you find the brand you like, just buy them in bulk and enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yes because anyone who does something that's cheaper and works better for them must be a hipster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cuz that's exactly what I said
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
He gets it.   Just buy a straight razor and be done with it
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#47]
You're in luck OP.  You've stumbled into one of GD's sub-fetishes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh... Yeah. Pretty much

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:19:48 AM EDT
[#49]
fuck this noise, 5 blade or bust.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Uh... Yeah. Pretty much

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh... Yeah. Pretty much

I said YMMV. Hence, it might work for someone else. For me it's a waste of time, and I was pretty much a dumbass hipster because I was only doing it because other people claimed it was amazing and I was following the derp crowd.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top