Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 9:13:16 PM EDT
I'm slightly mislead here, anyone ever been out, :REALLY out: because of one of the most commomly and compex place's on your body injured, your back/spinalcord/spinalcolum? Anyone ever had any fusions, multiple fusions? Laminoplasticy? decomperssion, herniated, bulging discs, you get my drift just plain GONE DISCS? or serious back problems....looking at surgury as a fix in middle age? How long did it take to get better? Did you
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  Two ruptures (same disc, 8 years apart, unrelated injuries) and one herniated.   Both ruptures affected my sciatic nerve in my left leg, the herniation rendered my left leg imobile below the knee.   I've had surgery for all three.   (Laminectomy, I believe.)   Recovery time was 3 weeks each time.   I can get around ok and am pain free.  Only side effects are; the muscles in my lower back get stiff during damp weather and my left leg is a bit shorter than my right.

Why do you ask?   Are you considering surgery?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I had C-3 to C-7, inclusive, "worked on", w/1--> C6-C7 fused, the rest were all CUT'n spaced for decompression. How long does it take to get back to yourself*, if at all? I have to wear a HARD/softinsides cervical collar 24/7 for 4 months ....I'm 55days in
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
L-5 to S-1 laminotomy. Twice within 4 months. That was 14 years ago. It hurts down my leg and in my lower back sometimes. It was well worth it because i was in so much pain that I wanted to die.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
L4/5 removed in 97, I really hurt till it was done. Am 100% recovered, damp weather/cold affects it but two aspirin make it go away. Takes a while to get over it, a full year till you forget it was done. Best move I ever made.
It doesn't get better waiting.

rk
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what my spine looks like, but at two levels:

I have the BAK/Proximity interbody fusion cages(pictured above).

There is no secret to maintaining mobility and staying practically pain free post-surgery.

I had two surgeries, one for the total dual level fusion and a second because a screw was coming out.

You do have to watch your weight.I don't because of an active metabolism.

Excercise and stretching can be very beneficial to your routine post-op.

I was up and walking the ortho unit 8 hrs after surgery and 1 mile daily before the staples were even removed.I can also count on one hand the number of narcotic pain pills I have taken post-op.

You just have to want it, man.The surgery can be very successful.Mine was.I still haul ass.

It's funny, cause the ones who I witnessed to bitch and moan that they were in severe pain post-op(and I witnessed many through Dr. visits, PT, etc) were overweight.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I just had a disco gram, and my disk decompression is coming up in a week or two. The last three years have been very difficult. I'm tired of pain meds. When I need them, I really need em. Then when I don't i detox and stop. It has taken the insurance company 6 weeks to reply on giving this proceedure the go ahead. They still haven't replied. I am a text book case according to my doctor. L4 to L5 just about empty from the herniation, and L5 to S1 is pretty much gone. They are compressing my S1 nerve root. I can't be in the Army anymore(my disability is being evaluated now), and I can't be a paramedic or work in the ER  anymore. I walk my dog several times a week for a few miles usually. Sometimes my pain keeps me in bed. I'm not over weight. I try to do menial jobs sometimes, but can't do them. My doctor has all but promised releif from this disk decompression. I'm determined to make it work. That's what I have to keep me going right now. That and my wife, who happens to be pregnant. I wish you the best. You can come out on top.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
2 surgeries at L4/L5, about 13 and 8 years ago.

I'm much better, but the occasional flare up will literally drop me.

Yep.  L5/L6 for me.   Haven't had any flare ups though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, I had C-3 to C-7, inclusive, "worked on", w/1--> C6-C7 fused, the rest were all CUT'n spaced for decompression. How long does it take to get back to yourself*, if at all? I have to wear a HARD/softinsides cervical collar 24/7 for 4 months ....I'm 55days in

Sounds about right.   One of my co-worker's wife just had a fusion in the lumbar area.   She's up and about, but in a back brace for 6 mos.  Like I said, I had laminectomies in the lumbar area, much less healing time for those.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My father had over 40 surguries in his life.  His comment was if the docs ever said he needed another back surgury, he would would say yes.  "You'll never know how much pain you are in until it is gone."

Good Luck
SRM
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Kev,

Hang in there my friend! I'm sure that after the post-op restrictions (that collar sure looked uncomfortable!), you'll have a lot less pain and be thankful that you went thru the procedure.

My Wife had two back surgeries within 6 weeks in 1987 and she recovered very well and rapidly. They released her from the hospital (5 day stay from the 2nd operation) the day before Thanksgiving and we went to the family Thanksgiving dinner and most were ready to pass out from shock (at seeing her present so soon after surgery), but she was able to walk around, eat, sit and gab like everyone else. Of course her surgeries were very different than yours . . . they were laminectomies in both upper and lower back areas (don't recall exact locations), so everyone is different.

Good luck on the road to recovery!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just had a disco gram, and my disk decompression is coming up in a week or two. The last three years have been very difficult. I don't think I will live another year unless this proceedure gives me some relief. I'm tired of pain meds. When I need them, I really need em. Then when I don't i detox and stop. Detoxing is hell on earth. I've had it. It has taken the insurance company 6 weeks to reply on giving this proceedure the go ahead. They still haven't replied. I am a text book case according to my doctor. L4 to L5 just about empty from the herniation, and L5 to S1 is pretty much gone. They are compressing my S1 nerve root. This pain is too much to live with. I can't be in the Army anymore(my disability is being evaluated now), and I can't be a paramedic or work in the ER  anymore. I walk my dog several times a week for a few miles usually. Sometimes my pain keeps me in bed. I'm not over weight. I try to do menial jobs sometimes, but can't do them. Life is very difficult. My doctor has all but promised releif from this disk decompression. I'm determined to make it work. That's all I have to keep me going right now. That and my wife, who happens to be pregnant. Otherwise I would have jumped off a cliff. I wish you the best.  
View Quote

Prayer sent Doc....

Yer plowin' a hard row bro.....
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I had my L5-S1 disc herniate back when I was 17. Went through the Academy and 4 years in the fleet that way, with the occaisional flareup which would drop me like a shot deer. Between flareups was a never-ending throb.

Well, one day it finally ruptured, and gave me a pain I hope to never feel again. Got so bad I couldn't walk because my left leg would go completely to sleep within five minutes of standing up.

After crawling through the sordid maze which is Naval medicine, I had a discectomy. I was up and walking with a pain-free leg in less than 4 hours, and walked out of the hospital the next day. Full recovery took less than a month.

I still have back pain, but my leg never bothered me again, and I think the reason I still have back pain is due to being overweight and out of shape.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top