Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 5:43:28 PM EDT
Sometimes when I burn a CD it will fail, usually in the 50 to 60 percent range. Is it because the CD has a scratch or is it an operator problem. I'm really stoopid about these things. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to use an incinerator.  If you try to burn them in the open, they will just curl up and smoke really bad.  Also, the smoke is really poisonous.

Now, on a more serious note.  When is the last time you cleaned your burner.  Use a CD cleaner to make sure lens is clean and that it is tracking properly.  Also check to see that you are using the right settings as to size of the disk (600 meg, 750 meg)  I also recommend searching the manufacturers web site for an updated driver.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Try using CD's that haven't been lit on fire.  

Really, it usually is one of three things.
1) The CD is crappy (bad vendor). Use brand name CD's.
2) The CD is scratched or dirty. Look for scratches and/or crud on the write surface. If dirty, clean it with a soft cloth. Otherwise use it for plinking.
3) The CD burner is trying to shove the data onto the CD at a higher rate than the computer can supply. Try changing the burn rate to something slower (i.e if you are burning at 8x, try burning at 4x).

I'm sure others on this forum can give you more detailed advice, just my $0.02.

Good Luck,

CW

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The burner is new. I've only burned maybe 8 CDs since I've had it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Still clean it and check for updated driver.  Always do that with any burner.  I also agree with Cold Warrior.  Make sure you are using quality disks and check the burn rate.  Also, do not touch anything on the comp while it is burning.  Wait for it to eject.  Sometimes attempting to multi task will cause problems.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
OK. Thanks guys. Time to call my guru.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
rainman you cant here,I SAID RAINMAN U CANT HERE! y r u burn in cds?

your brother
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
When I first got my CD burner I made two coasters because of the dreaded buffer under run error.

I slowed the write speed down and presto!  No more coasters.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a note...To those of you with older burners...get a new one, the new ones have 'burn-proof', they are much faster, and a brand name good burner is in the $50 range. I agonized when I used to burn cd's. I had a good brand 8X. My new(er) 48X SCREAMS!!! No more coasters.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top