User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hello

So, where does a brotha score the vicious bolt/ejector stickers?
View Quote
My twin Amal’s on my triumph are a pain in the ass too! But sometimes I deal with it for the nostalgia

ETA. Not sure what’s going on but that was not the quote I was looking for? Sorry it was a carb thing
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
+1

Ohhh a helmet hot spot SUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKS. I made that mistake once. It was a high dollar helmet but wasn't correct for my head shape. Ironically a cheaper helmet fit perfect although a little heavier.

A good fitting helmet is everything. If it fits you don't even notice it. I prefer full face helmets. On a ride I got hit by a freaking beatle, I swore was mothra when it hit my face shield. It snapped my head back. I am so glad I was wearing a full face helmet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, I have been riding on the street for 38 years, I have ridden all over the US, as well as Japan. I was an instructor for the MSF (CMSP) class and was the site coordinating instructor for a spot in San Diego a few years ago. Please take the class. You WILL learn some valuable life saving skills. Plus it's their bike, so if you drop it, no biggie as long as you are ok. If you decide to get a bike then after a few hundred miles take the experienced riders course. It's taught on YOUR bike and will enhance what you learned initially and will make you more confident of YOUR motorcycle. There has been a lot of good advice posted here. I would add, but good gear, but gear that FITS. Helmets being a prime example. Put it on and walk around the shop for an hour while you are trying it on. I can tell you from experience that a hotspot that goes migraine due to an improper fit is NO fun on a motorcycle trip 2 hours from home. It's dangerous. If the shop won;t let you wear a helmet for an hour then find a shop that will.

Have fun! Learn, and don't let testosterone get you! Groups of riders tend to go bad when it's all men. Know you limits and stay in them!
+1

Ohhh a helmet hot spot SUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKS. I made that mistake once. It was a high dollar helmet but wasn't correct for my head shape. Ironically a cheaper helmet fit perfect although a little heavier.

A good fitting helmet is everything. If it fits you don't even notice it. I prefer full face helmets. On a ride I got hit by a freaking beatle, I swore was mothra when it hit my face shield. It snapped my head back. I am so glad I was wearing a full face helmet.
helmet "hot spot"? never heard of it?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought about this for a bit, and the consensus seemed to be that drivers are highly distracted (this is a fact) and you will eventually have an accident that just might disable you to some extent; luck of the dice.  I was middle aged and healthy, and didn't want to add a limp to my life, ended up buying a fun car instead.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
helmet "hot spot"? never heard of it?
View Quote
It's when the helmet does not match your head type. It's EXTREMELY important that a motorcycle have your correct head shape, and may are not aware they come in different shapes.
Usually, Round (sometimes referred to as "neutral"), oval, long oval, etc.
Some brands offer different shapes in the same model. some brands typically focus all their helmets on one shape, and some brands have different models for different shapes.
Do NOT just order a helmet. You HAVE to go try them on and find out your head shape/size first (then either order it or buy it there).

ETA: a great place to learn about the different shapes (and who makes what) is WebBikeWorld (add the .com). They have an entire helmet section dedicated to it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
10 years old really isn't a big deal and by then pretty much all of them were EFI. You want EFI.....don't fuck around with some jank ass carburetor or even worse 4 of them fuckers.
View Quote
Lol, both of my bikes have been carb'd.  The Keihn CV is stupid simple(as is the S&S supers and Mikuni HSRs) and easy to maintain, plus if you have fuel/tuning issues or want to modify the bike you dont need DTII(dealer tech computers) to fix/flash it.  Dont fear the carb, I've rode 1000+ miles from home on a non computer controlled carburated harley(1995 lowrider) and survived, contrary to popular belief.

Used bikes are all about condition and how often/how they were ridden.  Lots of bikes have been sitting up for some time, so keep that in mind.  If it looks like the owner didn't care for it well move on to the next bike.  Dont buy something because "it's the model I want" that wasn't cared for and needs lots of fixing/maintenance to get it reliable/right.  That bike will drive you away from motorcycles and leave you with a empty bank account and a bike that isn't worth what you have in it.  I'm a tech so this doesnt bother me but if you're not sure about working on your own bike this is yet another consideration for you.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#7]
hmm.. sorta looking at an 883 now. just because they seem to be the lego's of motorcycles.. and they seem to be available in that 2-3k range

i would rip off all the skull bull shit:
https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2010-harley-883-sportstermiles/6740852556.html
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:40:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hmm.. sorta looking at an 883 now. just because they seem to be the lego's of motorcycles.. and they seem to be available in that 2-3k range

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2010-harley-883-sportstermiles/6740852556.html
https://images.craigslist.org/00s0s_kzG4piRk15c_600x450.jpg
View Quote
Looks like a small tank on that one.  Small tank bikes will annoy anyone you happen to be riding with.  Every 100 to 120 miles you will be stopping for gas.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I rode dirt bikes when I was a kid and got my first street bike at 40. That was a Honda 1000F. I went the past 8 years without a bike and just bought a '03 Harley Night Train last month.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed riding. Take the course and go for it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:39:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to love motorcycles. I have had my endorsement for about 15 years. I have owned six street bikes. I haven’t ridden in about three years. Frankly I am scared. Not scared of crashing or dieing for my own sake but scared of how fucked my wife and kids would be both financially and emotionally if I crashed and burned. Granted I could get ran over checking the mail tomorrow or crash my pickup and die but realistically I came to the realization that riding my motorcycles was orders of magnitude more likely to kill me than anything else I do. Just not worth it to me anymore.

If I was a single guy with no kids I would ride all the time. I love it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The CSC bikes are imported from Zongshen which appears to have good reviews and has been around awhile. CSC seems to try to provide good support for the bikes too. Have you heard of them?

@bikernut
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From my experience (inside the motorcycle manufacturing industry) it will likely stop working altogether before you get a chance to damage it.

The only exceptions would be Kymco or CF Moto. They've actually invested in advanced engineering and quality control, and use a lot of Japanese-designed components.
The CSC bikes are imported from Zongshen which appears to have good reviews and has been around awhile. CSC seems to try to provide good support for the bikes too. Have you heard of them?

@bikernut
@LuckyDuck

We're a supplier to every motorcycle manufacturer in the world outside of China. We just entered the Chinese market about a year ago (got tired of them copying our products) and are supplying components to their biggest brands (Kymco, CF Moto, and a few others). Not doing business with Zong Shen yet. That's up to our Chinese Sales Manager. But they are fairly well established on the west coast.

Probably the main difference is lifespan. Lots of Japanese and Italian bikes will easily make it to 75K miles, Gold Wings and Harley baggers routinely reach 150K+, and BMW's with a quarter-million miles on the clock are common.

Chinese bikes aren't built for that and they're not designed for that. That's not the manufacturers' goal. They're consumable items, like microwave ovens. They have a different outlook on manufactured goods.

That may all change in the future. A lot of Harley accessories are made in China, Kuryakyn aftermarket parts are all Chinese, the Japanese Big Four all subcontract a lot of parts manufacturing to China, and the Ducati Scrambler is made not in Italy but in Taiwan.

China is also heavily committed to the 4-wheel UTV market, and American buyers will demand reliability and dependability under severe use in any kind of weather, like they've come to expect from Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Polaris, Can-Am, etc.

Still... my first microwave oven ($600) was made by Panasonic in Japan and it lasted over a decade. Now I have to replace my Chinese microwave ovens every 12-18 months.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Remember OP, when you get the new bike take it out to the driveway and drop it. Mind as well get it out of the way.

In all sincerity a class might not hurt. When you get the MSF card you might get a discount on your insurance as well. If anything it will give you some confidence if you have never ridden. Good luck and be safe.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:11:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
The used bike market is flooded with Sportsters right now, so they're pretty cheap. Tons of aftermarket parts, plus they are easy to hot-rod to make them go fast (but not Ninja fast). Still, a stock 883 (55 c.i.) will easily outrun my 88 c.i. Super Glide. The XLH was originally designed as a competition-only bike back in 1957 (based on the same four-cam bottom end as the previous KH series).

A lot of people poo-poo Sportsters. I like them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I rode a bike as my sole form of transportation for years.  Best advice I ever got was from a good friend and riding buddy: ride like you're invisible.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't get too set on the type of bike until you've ridden.  I took the class at 32 (with 3 kids at home) dead set on a Honda cruiser.  After riding different bikes during the class, I realized I hated the feel of my feet in front of me and my lower back hunched forward.  Much preferred the old Nighthawk they had, so I bought an upright seated bike when I got out.  2002 Honda 919 with 12k miles for $3200.  Not a problem with it so far and still love it 5 years later.

It all depends what you're riding for.  I think cruisers look badass and am still envious of those that ride them, but I'm not going to trade style points for the comfort (for me) of the more upright riding position and the exhilaration of taking that bike through the twisty back roads.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't get too set on the type of bike until you've ridden.  I took the class at 32 (with 3 kids at home) dead set on a Honda cruiser.  After riding different bikes during the class, I realized I hated the feel of my feet in front of me and my lower back hunched forward.  Much preferred the old Nighthawk they had, so I bought an upright seated bike when I got out.  2002 Honda 919 with 12k miles for $3200.  Not a problem with it so far and still love it 5 years later.

It all depends what you're riding for.  I think cruisers look badass and am still envious of those that ride them, but I'm not going to trade style points for the comfort (for me) of the more upright riding position and the exhilaration of taking that bike through the twisty back roads.
View Quote
OP would do well to start out on something in the UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) category, a used Honda or as someone mentioned a V-Strom 650
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Just took the MSF class at Black Jack Harley Davidson in Florence, SC. I had a lot of fun and actually learned something. They had HD 500's and 750's for us to ride. We had two females that were brand new riders. I mean, brand new. One had to drop out due to family death. The other passed the test with no problems.

It's fun and it's someone else's bike you're out there dropping.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Edit:
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That class is like sending you into Afghanistan  after a chl class.
If you have dependents...  yeah skip it its fun but not worth dying for..
Most people on bikes never learn to ride. They are statistics waiting to happen.  Ive seen dozens get mangled
or die. 25 years in of riding and racing under my belt. Wife was in a wheelchair for a while and wears diapers for life thanks to a bike.
Learning to control the bike without falling is like 5% of learning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rode tons, raced road, dirt, and ice.

If you're middle aged, then skip it.
If you're young, take the class.
Don't listen to this guy. Take the class. If it's through MSF it's a good class. You'll learn a lot and passing the class will get you a discount on motorcycle insurance.

FYI I didn't know how to ride. Took the class, almost passed with a perfect score. I was 30 when I took it.
That class is like sending you into Afghanistan  after a chl class.
If you have dependents...  yeah skip it its fun but not worth dying for..
Most people on bikes never learn to ride. They are statistics waiting to happen.  Ive seen dozens get mangled
or die. 25 years in of riding and racing under my belt. Wife was in a wheelchair for a while and wears diapers for life thanks to a bike.
Learning to control the bike without falling is like 5% of learning.
What the fuck are you going on about? I guess me and everyone else in this thread that are advocating taking a MSF class are wrong?

Sorry you had a shit class. I took it not knowing how to ride. Learned a ton of stuff I didn't think was possible.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For several years (about a decade ago) my daily rider was a 1956 BMW R50. It never failed to start on the first kick, and never failed to get me back home.

Drum brakes, float bowls, 6-volt electrics, kick starter...

But it helped that, at the time I first learned to ride, that kind of bike was considered "modern".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 years old really isn't a big deal and by then pretty much all of them were EFI. You want EFI.....don't fuck around with some jank ass carburetor or even worse 4 of them fuckers..
For several years (about a decade ago) my daily rider was a 1956 BMW R50. It never failed to start on the first kick, and never failed to get me back home.

Drum brakes, float bowls, 6-volt electrics, kick starter...

But it helped that, at the time I first learned to ride, that kind of bike was considered "modern".
Oh I don't doubt that at all. Of my 9 motorcycles, 4 of them are kick starts with carbs.... they're also dirt bikes lol.

Fucking with carbs gets old quick, especially since the newest ones are mostly 15 years old now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol, both of my bikes have been carb'd.  The Keihn CV is stupid simple(as is the S&S supers and Mikuni HSRs) and easy to maintain, plus if you have fuel/tuning issues or want to modify the bike you dont need DTII(dealer tech computers) to fix/flash it.  Dont fear the carb, I've rode 1000+ miles from home on a non computer controlled carburated harley(1995 lowrider) and survived, contrary to popular belief.

Used bikes are all about condition and how often/how they were ridden.  Lots of bikes have been sitting up for some time, so keep that in mind.  If it looks like the owner didn't care for it well move on to the next bike.  Dont buy something because "it's the model I want" that wasn't cared for and needs lots of fixing/maintenance to get it reliable/right.  That bike will drive you away from motorcycles and leave you with a empty bank account and a bike that isn't worth what you have in it.  I'm a tech so this doesnt bother me but if you're not sure about working on your own bike this is yet another consideration for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 years old really isn't a big deal and by then pretty much all of them were EFI. You want EFI.....don't fuck around with some jank ass carburetor or even worse 4 of them fuckers.

Well over a dozen of my bikes have been carb'd

And every single one of them requires attention that I would rather spend riding.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I would recommend a late model Japanese or European made standard or a sporty standard for your first street bike.

Then get the cruiser/chopper after you’ve become a good rider on the standard or sporty standard.

Make sure you have enough garage room for at least two preferably three or more different kinds of bikes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's probably a good choice.

Just look for any obvious oil leaks then check the oil often if you buy it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Best advice I ever got was from a good friend and riding buddy: ride like you're invisible.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
what is the oldest bike you guys would recommend..

i am seeing some that are about 10 years old for 3-4k
View Quote
My '99 seems okay...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I kind of miss riding but then I quickly see how bad people drive now compared to even a few years ago when I had my bike and immediately change my mind. If I was closer to Barbers Motorsports i'd pick up a bike to track. I've gotten pretty cynical and risk averse as I've gotten older.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I kind of miss riding but then I quickly see how bad people drive now compared to even a few years ago when I had my bike and immediately change my mind. If I was closer to Barbers Motorsports i'd pick up a bike to track. I've gotten pretty cynical and risk averse as I've gotten older.
View Quote
I find this an odd statement and I hear it from lots of folks. I have had one real road wreck in the last 22 years. Most folks are in the same boat and many never even have a wreck contrary to the popular saying. If you race on the track how many wrecks and injuries is one likely to have over several decades of regular racing? I honestly don't know and maybe one of the racers in here can chime in but I just have a gut feeling it is actually more than on the road.

Now don't get me wrong, I recognize that shit happens and we prepare for it. I also recognize that tracks tend to be designed in a manner to reduce the potential for fatal accidents. But really if you ride defensively, you don't drink, and you don't speed your chances for a serious accident are drastically reduced while on the road. I like to remind folks that those terrible statistics include the 18 year old asshole in flip-flops doing a wheelie at 80 miles an hour in town. Its not a clear-cut crossover to a careful middle aged rider obeying the traffic laws and wearing protective gear.

Though having said all of that I did wreck and break my shoulder 2 years ago But hey, that could have happened in a car as well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My advice?
Don't ride w a passenger on back

My wife is kinda BIG and everytime she rode with me I couldn't keep front wheel on the ground..
Hit a bump in the road one tima and bottomed it out and then bounced so hard the front tire didn't come down for a block and half..
View Quote
WTF?! lol
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you want, you can start on dirt... it will make you a better rider. Then take the class.

I did it backwards:
I bought my first big bike at 30, and then took the class.  About 4 years later I bought a dirt bike, even after street riding for four years I became technically much better after a year on the dirt.
View Quote
This^

Not everything translates from dirt to street, but the basics sure do and it will make you a much more confident rider
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This^

Not everything translates from dirt to street, but the basics sure do and it will make you a much more confident rider
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want, you can start on dirt... it will make you a better rider. Then take the class.

I did it backwards:
I bought my first big bike at 30, and then took the class.  About 4 years later I bought a dirt bike, even after street riding for four years I became technically much better after a year on the dirt.
This^

Then you can make your own post like this...

Fellow ARFcom rider
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I find this an odd statement and I hear it from lots of folks. I have had one real road wreck in the last 22 years. Most folks are in the same boat and many never even have a wreck contrary to the popular saying. If you race on the track how many wrecks and injuries is one likely to have over several decades of regular racing? I honestly don't know and maybe one of the racers in here can chime in but I just have a gut feeling it is actually more than on the road.

Now don't get me wrong, I recognize that shit happens and we prepare for it. I also recognize that tracks tend to be designed in a manner to reduce the potential for fatal accidents. But really if you ride defensively, you don't drink, and you don't speed your chances for a serious accident are drastically reduced while on the road. I like to remind folks that those terrible statistics include the 18 year old asshole in flip-flops doing a wheelie at 80 miles an hour in town. Its not a clear-cut crossover to a careful middle aged rider obeying the traffic laws and wearing protective gear.

Though having said all of that I did wreck and break my shoulder 2 years ago But hey, that could have happened in a car as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I've been hearing how bad people drive " nowadays " for 25 years.
There's usually 5-10 crashes on any given track day....tons more than on road. They usually don't end up to bad though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would recommend a late model Japanese or European made standard or a sporty standard for your first street bike.

Then get the cruiser/chopper after you’ve become a good rider on the standard or sporty standard.

Make sure you have enough garage room for at least two preferably three or more different kinds of bikes.  
View Quote
That's no joke!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Fellow ARFcom rider
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did it backwards:
This^

Fellow ARFcom rider
Ouch!
Whether dirt or street, don't ride beyond your skill level.
And the older you are, the less you bounce back from a spill like a rubber ball.

The first time I ever felt old, was when I had a minor spill (laid dirt bike down in a sweeping turn on a MX track at age 31.
It was a total nothing burger of slide out. I laughed and got back on. But the next day I felt like someone beat me with a 2x4!)
In my youth racing AMA motocross I was made of rubber, that day I decided I needed to slow down a little bit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ouch!
Whether dirt or street, don't ride beyond your skill level.
And the older you are, the less you bounce back from a spill like a rubber ball.

The first time I ever felt old, was when I had a minor spill (laid dirt bike down in a sweeping turn on a MX track at age 31.
It was a total nothing burger of slide out. I laughed and got back on. But the next day I felt like someone beat me with a 2x4!)
In my youth racing AMA motocross I was made of rubber, that day I decided I needed to slow down a little bit.
View Quote
I am not a dirt rider. I have a DRZ 400 to get better at riding off road. But even so it will be very easy stuff compared to what some of you guys do.

I have a very high tolerance for pain and I don’t get spooked about injuries themselves. Blood and gore don’t phase me, mine or anyone else’s. I have had eight or nine broken bones, stitches, staples, compressed discs, subluxations, and nerve damage. But it is all catching up to me.

Now at 42 I find it is the recovery I am starting to fear and not the injuries per se. I won’t say it slows me down a whole lot but it does sit in the back of your mind. Getting old sucks.

...but I would rather be 42 than 20 and that is the truth!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP would do well to start out on something in the UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) category, a used Honda or as someone mentioned a V-Strom 650
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been looking upright sitting bikes. I like them. I think the class has rebels/Harley's (notsure) so when I take it. I think I'll know if I'll like cruisers for feel
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have been looking upright sitting bikes. I like them. I think the class has rebels/Harley's (notsure) so when I take it. I think I'll know if I'll like cruisers for feel
View Quote
keep in mind most "cruisers" will have forward controls. That means your feet will be extended out in front of your body. This makes controlling the bike more difficult for a few reasons.

sit on as many bikes as you can. remember that handlebars can be moved quite easily, even brought up, back, forward, etc.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Cruisers don’t brake and handle as well as standards on up in the sporty continuum.  As a beginning rider on the street, you’ll want that nimble handling to provide more forgiveness as you learn.  Then you’ll develop good riding hanits that will transfer over to cruiser riding.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Cruisers don't brake and handle as well as standards on up in the sporty continuum.  As a beginning rider on the street, you'll want that nimble handling to provide more forgiveness as you learn.  Then you'll develop good riding hanits that will transfer over to cruiser riding.
View Quote
I'm beginning to think that way to. I'm just not seeing many standards in the 300-600cc range in my area, in my projected price range.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Unless something has changed, and I doubt it has, the class will be full of 250s.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm beginning to think that way to. I'm just not seeing many standards in the 300-600cc range in my area, in my projected price range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cruisers don't brake and handle as well as standards on up in the sporty continuum.  As a beginning rider on the street, you'll want that nimble handling to provide more forgiveness as you learn.  Then you'll develop good riding hanits that will transfer over to cruiser riding.
SV650 or ninja 650
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cruisers are a whole different breed of bike, "laid back" heavier and less responsive.  It's all a matter of personal preference.  I grew up on dirt bikes and motocross bikes, I just hate a clunky shift and a lazy turn.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You will not save money by riding your bike to work. I spend .12- .16 cents per mile just on tires.
View Quote
Depends a lot on the tires, the bike, and how you ride. I ride pretty hard, on an 800-pound bike. This last set of tires cost me about $220.00. That was two seasons ago, roughly 17k miles so far. And I'll get at least another season out of them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Depends a lot on the tires, the bike, and how you ride. I ride pretty hard, on an 800-pound bike. This last set of tires cost me about $220.00. That was two seasons ago, roughly 17k miles so far. And I'll get at least another season out of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will not save money by riding your bike to work. I spend .12- .16 cents per mile just on tires.
The money is not about saving on commute. I just have limited funds to get into the hobby. If I had 10k to burn I would have never looked past Indian. They do get expensive when you "build your own"
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would also recommend a standard.

Now this is me being biased because i don't like forward controls in general.  Cruisers, while looking good, just don't feel good sitting on them.  Oh, they are plenty comfortable, but it feels more natural, and easier to control your body and the bike from a normal foot pegs, upright riding position.

Practice slow speed control and maneuvering.  Riding a bike at speed is much easier than slowly.  Much, much easier.

When you take the test, don't be afraid of the box.  People get afraid of the box so they go too slow... going too slow makes it difficult/impossible to balance the bike... and this means you have to put a foot down.  Don't go crazy fast, but speed is your friend, it makes those tight turns easier.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd really like to know what kind of tires you can "ride pretty hard' with and get that kind of mileage out if.
I have ran many different brands and they are typically pretty much bald at 4K rear, and 7K front, and I don't consider myself a hard rider.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Now this is me being biased because i don't like forward controls in general.  Cruisers, while looking good, just don't feel good sitting on them.  Oh, they are plenty comfortable, but it feels more natural, and easier to control your body and the bike from a normal foot pegs, upright riding position.

Practice slow speed control and maneuvering.  Riding a bike at speed is much easier than slowly.  Much, much easier.

When you take the test, don't be afraid of the box.  People get afraid of the box so they go too slow... going too slow makes it difficult/impossible to balance the bike... and this means you have to put a foot down.  Don't go crazy fast, but speed is your friend, it makes those tight turns easier.
View Quote
The hardest part of the MC license road skills test when I took it in VA was doing a right-handed U-turn within the space of two parking spots without putting a foot down.  After two tries and putting my foot down, I decided to drag the rear brake and stand up off the seat, and that did the trick.  After that I began dragging the rear brake a little to increase control when needed during very low speed tight turns.

Left handed Ueys are easy, but there is something about the right-hand u-turn that makes it more difficult.  Perhaps because you don't do it as much and/or because the throttle is tucked in up against the tank, putting it at an awkward angle for fine motor control.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I sat on the scout (what started this whole thing) the sales guy wedged the front tire and told me to put my feet on it. They didn't feel bad at all, but from what I am seeing/researching, the scout is almost a hybrid cruiser/standard. It's got the cruiser body and sitting position , but almost more of a standards rake and foot position. I didn't sit on it for more than a couple of min, but it felt pretty comfortable.

edit: but when I look at pictures they are most definately forward. No I am confuzzled
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve been riding and racing in one form or another for almost forty years now.

I think that in terms of miles ridden, the race track is significantly less safe than the street.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think that in terms of miles ridden, the race track is significantly less safe than the street.
View Quote
I would disagree.
The track is a controlled environment.
The street is not.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Scratch that itch.

If you wanna do it then do it. It's not some scary ass dangerous thing. It's fun.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top