BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The kind of riding I want to do has an easy answer. Half of my desire is just for something fun and laid back for Sunny day commuting/ cruising around town with nowhere to go. the other half is litterally "because I haven't tried it yet"
View Quote
If you are just commuting just about any bike will do, if you want to go long distances, then you have to consider comfort, gear storage and range.  Some bikes look and ride awesome, but leave you stiff and sore if you spend any length of time riding them.  Don’t get your heart set on a bike before you know what fits your body.  Bikes are a lot like a good pair of boots, it takes some research and fitting to get a comfortable fit.

For instance, here in West TN, you have to ride at least 3 hours to get anywhere interesting.  I went with a VStrom, because it has all day comfort with decent performance in the twisties.  Not to mention, I can pack enough supplies to keep me going for a few days on the road.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Nonsense. Not everyone races, most guys just want to cruise on a bagger for 50 miles and go home. Gd makes everything seem worse than it is based on their one in a trillion experience with a big bad black motorcycle.
View Quote
Then you have idiots like me that jump on a 1200 BMW and ride thousands of miles at a time LOL.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you are just commuting just about any bike will do, if you want to go long distances, then you have to consider comfort, gear storage and range.  Some bikes look and ride awesome, but leave you stiff and sore if you spend any length of time riding them.  Don’t get your heart set on a bike before you know what fits your body.  Bikes are a lot like a good pair of boots, it takes some research and fitting to get a comfortable fit.

For instance, here in West TN, you have to ride at least 3 hours to get anywhere interesting.  I went with a VStrom, because it has all day comfort with decent performance in the twisties.  Not to mention, I can pack enough supplies to keep me going for a few days on the road.
View Quote
That VStrom 650 is a great little bike for mile munching, comfortable, reliable and quite capable on dirt roads too.  That is a great recommendation, but I would still go with a little 250 to start out with until he hits his lick.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
TAKE THE MSF CLASS.

If nothing else do it for the insurance discount. If you're a new/novice rider there's a lot to learn. If you have a buddy with a dirtbike ask them if you can practice starts before the class, even if it's just a 100cc bike.

I started riding on dirt when I was 10~11. Had motorcycle temps before driving temps. Rode on temps for a while but finally took the class when I was in my 20's. It was totally worth the money and I learned a bunch in the classroom portion regarding how slides happen and rider awareness. The riding portion was simple (for me) even in the rain. Instructors let me do wheelies, burnouts, and slides once they realized my riding level, and because a lot of people skipped the riding portion because it was cold and rainy.

Passed the class and now have my endorsement for life even tough I don't even have a bike.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not a matter of if but when, assuming you actually ride.

But being crippled does have its advantages as long as you enjoy pain.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh i figured..

What i WANT is an indian scout... what i am looking at is anything on craigs list that isn't a sport bike.
View Quote
Standard bike is what you should start on. You may find the type of riding you are interested in now will change once you have ridden a few miles. SV650 is ideal, IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I ride a 2016 Streetglide everywhere all year round. I commute to work on it and take it on multi-state rides. I cannot imagine a life without riding. DO IT OP. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Take the class.

Buy a used bike.

Learn to ride for a season.

Likely drop it once. (Garage, parking lot, etc)

Decide if riding is for you. (I love it.)
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Take the MSF course.

Buy a used, inexpensive dual purpose bike up to 250cc.  Get comfortable with the clutch, shifting, and braking by riding in the dirt, big vacant parking lots, then backroads.  Don´t rush the process.

Then decide if riding is for you and whether you want to ride on the street, in the dirt, or both.  If you choose to ride and when you are comfortable, get a bike that’s appropriate for your skill level, body size, and where you want to ride.  Always wear a helmet, gloves, and a good quality riding jacket.

I’ve been riding all types of motorcycles for 50 years and can’t imagine a future without riding.  It’s definitely gotten more dangerous on the road with distracted drivers phoning/texting.  At stops, look both ways twice.  Don’t follow vehicles in front of you too closely.  Anticipate as many scenarios as possible and ride like you’ve got eyes in the back of your head.

Go for it!
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Take the class.  You need it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, do it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Most definitely take the class. Motorcycling is good for the soul.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#13]
take the class first, you'll learn the basic skills from the get go and the basic rider course does a good job of establishing good habits from the get go. and if do the riders course and decide you don't like riding you're only out the cost of the course and helmet.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rode for over 30 years. Got hit 3 times. Last time I ended up underneath a Buick driven by an old lady.

Had 7 bikes in the garage at one time. Last one was a BMR R100S take you could ride all day over 100mph and it would idle back to normal idle when you stopped.

I miss it, but I can still walk and after the last time I was hit wife asked me to quit.
View Quote
Ah, a fellow airhead.
Sorry to hear about your experiences... Sadly the roads are only getting worse.

My wife knows that asking me to give up riding is equivalent to asking for divorce.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#15]
do it, ride for a bit and for some additional training do a track day
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm 47, learned to ride when I was 9. I ride street now, but IMHO, it's boring as hell. I'm a dirt bike guy through and through (how I learned).
Don't be stingy with safety equipment. Expect to spend a solid $1k on gear (boots, jacket, pants, helmet, gloves) MINIMUM (if you're like me, and really get into things, you'll wind up with WAY more gear).
DO take the MSF course (I did, at 35, even after decades of riding). You can never "too much" training/practice/critique.

Bikes, themselves...
If you want to be the "cool kid" (in other words, more about show than go), just buy a sport bike.
IF you want to hang out at local bars more than ride... get a cruiser.
IF you want a "raw" riding experience and not trying to impress the ladies (and generally like street riding), get a naked ("street fighter" style). I'm in this category but bore quickly of the street.
If you want total "fun" factor, get a dual sport.
If you want total challenge/fun (of beating said challenge) get a true dirt bike. I'm also in this category. I'm happiest with challenging terrain.

And lastly, don't get obsessed with gear brands. DO get obsessed with having complete coverage/protection (head to toe).
Also make sure that gear FITS right (it should be TIGHT as possible, NOT fit relaxed like "street clothes"). If you're long/lean (as I am), you'll (unfortunately) be looking at Euro brands (I say "unfortunately" because they are EXPENSIVE). If you're squat/bulky... you'll be looking at American brands (which are far cheaper and more choices... here anyway).

All that said.. I say DO IT! There's nothing like the sense of freedom of straddling a 2 wheeled rocket ship. You'll feel like your in Star Wars riding one of those sit on fighters in the Ewok scene!
Ride respectfully, stay out of trouble (YOU are the most fragile thing on the road), keep your ego in check, and ride at YOUR pace (I will not do "group" rides for this reason).

Good luck! And welcome to the 2 wheeled world!

ETA: Oh... and being GD...

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:38:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't listen to this guy. Take the class. If it's through MSF it's a good class. You'll learn a lot and passing the class will get you a discount on motorcycle insurance.

FYI I didn't know how to ride. Took the class, almost passed with a perfect score. I was 30 when I took it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rode tons, raced road, dirt, and ice.

If you're middle aged, then skip it.
If you're young, take the class.
Don't listen to this guy. Take the class. If it's through MSF it's a good class. You'll learn a lot and passing the class will get you a discount on motorcycle insurance.

FYI I didn't know how to ride. Took the class, almost passed with a perfect score. I was 30 when I took it.
That class is like sending you into Afghanistan  after a chl class.
If you have dependents...  yeah skip it its fun but not worth dying for..
Most people on bikes never learn to ride. They are statistics waiting to happen.  Ive seen dozens get mangled
or die. 25 years in of riding and racing under my belt. Wife was in a wheelchair for a while and wears diapers for life thanks to a bike.
Learning to control the bike without falling is like 5% of learning.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Take the class.  Even if you never ride a bike on the street, you will be a better car driver.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That class is like sending you into Afghanistan  after a chl class.
If you have dependents...  yeah skip it its fun but not worth dying for..
Most people on bikes never learn to ride. They are statistics waiting to happen.  Ive seen dozens get mangled
or die. 25 years in of riding and racing under my belt. Wife was in a wheelchair for a while and wears diapers for life thanks to a bike.
Learning to control the bike without falling is like 5% of learning.
View Quote
And as someone with 38 years of riding (yes, also MX racing when I was younger) I TOTALLY disagree with you.
You NEVER stop learning when riding. So any amount of decent training you can get (the MSF specifically targets low speed control, which many riders NEVER learn) is a good thing.
I'd add that dirt riding forces one to learn the characteristics of riding/control/balance/traction MUCH faster than street riding will. Most great street riders/racers started on dirt.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Go for it. Use your head when riding.
Head on a swivel. Assume noone can see you, and every driver is going to do something stupid every moment.
Oddly enough, it becomes second nature and you can still enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:08:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Wear a helmet. Not those half-lid dork helmets, but a full face helmet.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I started when I turned 50.  Can't afford a Corvette.
Take the class.  Every year after that take the advanced class.
Go to ADVrider.com and read.  Learn from the faceplant forum.

Don't have to spend lots of $ either to have a cool bike.  This one is $4k ready to go to Alaska.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Classes are for pussies,so are license endorsements and helmets. Get a Harley,a Sons of Anarchy vest, a way-past-her-prime leather-skinned pear-shaped blonde for the rear seat, and become a road captain.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:06:55 AM EDT
[#28]
what would you guys consider an appropriate size/ price for a starter bike?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
What kind of riding?

Street, adventure (normally bigger bikes that are good on the road, but can go off-road too), dual-sport (normally a bit smaller and more off-road oriented)...?

Budget?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What kind of riding?

Street, adventure (normally bigger bikes that are good on the road, but can go off-road too), dual-sport (normally a bit smaller and more off-road oriented)...?

Budget?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of riding?

Budget?
Commuting/ fun bike. Visually I love cruisers, but a standard is fine as well. as long as it's not a sport bike, I'm not too picky. Eventually I want to get into a nice Indian or other cruiser. But right now. All I am looking for is a relaible bike (think beater thats not a lemon)that won't make me cry when I lay her down (because, I have a feeling that I will, because everyone tells me they did).

I would like it to be able to do at least highway speeds with an emergency reserve to get out of people's way.

Been looking at rebel 300s, 500s. And craigslist adds. But I don't know the market or what to look for. I need to know what prices to look at in the "what's wrong with this bike" eye, and what prices may be more correct?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
not as a first bike... i will wipe out.. everyone does.. if so, I want to wreck a $1000 bike.. not a $9000 one
View Quote
I agree with the other guy. If you want a scout, buy a scout.   Buy a used one, but get what you want.. it will make riding that much more enjoyable to you.  I bought  the bike I wanted, 2011 sportster 48.  Dropped it once.  It will happen. So Fix it IF you break anything and keep going.   Every drop isnt a total out on the bike.   I started riding 2 years ago at 36.  Taking the class was a huge eye opener for me after street riding for 3 months without a license. People WILL try to kill you.

Give everyone plenty of room. Speed up to get away from them, or slow down to let them all get ahead.

I used on onramp and ended up behind a dump truck.   I couldnt safely get around him due to traffic, so I just backed off.   Within a couple of minutes,  the wind caught a bunch of construction signage and plywood and blew it out of the back of his truck, right into my lane ahead of me.   When I saw this happening, I just slowly applied the bakes and pulled off the side of the road. No problems if you give yourself time to react.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
not as a first bike... i will wipe out.. everyone does.. if so, I want to wreck a $1000 bike.. not a $9000 one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Class is the best way to start out, a good low-investment way to try it out and see if you'd like to pursue it.

The usual pointers if you decide to continue:
Budget more than you think youll need for gear
Don't buy the bike you really want for your first bike, because you'll likely fuck it up
Everyone on the road will try to kill you and won't even care

You have to accept that fact that every time you get on the bike, there's a very real chance you won't be coming home.

Been riding for over 10 years, wouldn't give it up for the world.
Oh i figured..

What i WANT is an indian scout... what i am looking at is anything on craigs list that isn't a sport bike.
If you want a scout, buy a scout.
No. Everyone doesn't. It's a scout, a mid sized cruiser. Fine for a starter bike.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#33]
OP, here is the MSF website: https://www.msf-usa.org/

Plug in your zip code to find an MSF class near you. It may be that your LA SP class is MSF. I cannot speak to the class you mentioned, but I was an MSF instructor for a few years until life got too busy.

The MSF class will teach you the physical skills of controlling the motorcycle in a fairly comprehensive way. And, just as importantly if not more so, provide you with mental strategies to use to minimize risk and stay safe on the street.

When I was teaching in the 1980s, the class was 20 hours and a full 8 hours of it were spent on motorcycles on a specially marked range (typically a big parking lot closed off from traffic during course hours). I don't know if riding time is still the same, but I am sure that there is still enough seat time for you to decide if you wish to continue with the sport. For some people, they take the class and are raring to go. Others take the class and realize that it is not for them.

Don't rush into getting a bike. Wait until after you have taken the class and spent time on a bike. One bike that they made for a million years, so there are many used ones around in all price ranges is the Suzuki GS500E. Vertical twin, "standard" riding position. Excellent brakes and chassis. Good first bike, but entertaining enough for someone with experience.

Note how the rider's feet  are directly below his butt. This is good for control and weighting pegs and going over obstacles (the class explains). Also note how his back is basically straight up and down and his arms level from the elbows. This is an extremely comfortable riding position and is called "standard". When people suggest a "standard" bike, it is one with this kind of riding position. It is a "neutral" position that one can ride all day. By contrast, a "cruiser" will often have the controls forward, no longer below the seat, making it difficult to weight a peg or raise up for obstacles. Also, a cruiser rider's posture tends to lean back, putting stress on the lower back. I cannot ride a cruiser for more than 10 miles without back pain. A sport bike leans you forward, and for many this means wrist pain (even though you are supposed to support yourself with trunk muscles and not your arms) and the pegs will be "rear set". So, if you start off with a Standard style bike and build up your skills, you can move to a different style later if you want to (like the Scout). What people sometimes discover as they build up their skills and gain experience, is that something they wanted before they knew how to ride may not be exactly what they want after they have gained knowledge. Only your own time and experience will tell.

There has been a lot of good advice so far in the thread. I wear ATGATT (all the gear all the time) and a full face helmet and recommend the same.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Take the class

Wear your gear, all of it. I've crashed a fuck ton in the dirt and twice on asphalt. I've been lucky and not missed a days work because of it.

Check out the upright "standard" bikes.....they are much more capable than a cruiser. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Some encouragement pics
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll +87 the ride course.  Rider Techniques, lane position, learning to read traffic, avoiding high traffic areas, riding as if other vehicles dont see you, not looking at your fender/bars and looking way down the road, etc are all life safety skills you need to possess if you want to not patronize my primary occupation(see avatar).

I'm also a Harley Davidson Technician(p/t).  If you have any HD technical questions I'll answer them best I can(PM if you want).

In the meantime, here's some free youtube training I partake in every now and then.  Watch several of these videos and see what you think.  The second guy(MotorMan) is a former Motor Officer(what PD calls bike cops). They're some of the best riders on the road and are highly trained, I ride with a bunch of current and former Motors.  The first guy is a respected safety instructor, check out his chsnnel.

5 Motorcycle Skills EVERY Rider Needs to Develop

Avoiding obstacles on your motorcycle
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wasn't telling him to skip training if he's middle aged, I was telling him to pass on the entire idea of riding.
View Quote
that's it, double down on the stupid
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm going to go slightly against the grain here.  If you have the $$$$ buy what makes you happy within reason.  I bought a new FZ-07 after my class and never put a scratch on it in the two years that I owned it.  I went into it with the mindset that I wasn't going to crash or drop it.  Assuming that you are going to wreck or bail in a parking lot is self defeating.  The older starter bikes can be problematic if you aren't mechanically inclined.   If you buy at the end of the season you can get a new bike for close to the price of a used unit.  I was able to get a screaming deal on a popular model because it was 35 degrees outside and end of the month.  CycleTrader is a good place to check regional pricing.

Quoted:
Oh i figured..

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Just remember that a bike doesn’t recover from a loss of traction as easily as a car so be smooth and relaxed with your inputs so you don’t lose traction.  In a car, you can just cut off the throttle when the rear end begins to slide out but if you do that on a bike it will throw you off.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
It will seem that way, although some people will care to the point of crying... after they hit you when it's too late.

I have a theory that most people don't understand the concept of "defensive driving" until they have spent some time on a bike.  And those who still don't understand it after that will likely suffer for it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My advice?
Don't ride w a passenger on back

My wife is kinda BIG and everytime she rode with me I couldn't keep front wheel on the ground..
Hit a bump in the road one tima and bottomed it out and then bounced so hard the front tire didn't come down for a block and half..
View Quote
All right, this fish is on the hook.  May as well tell some more stories because the mental image that is in my mind right now has me LOL.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#42]
My first bike after the MSF basic class was a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and shortly after, CBR1000RR.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My advice?
Don't ride w a passenger on back

My wife is kinda BIG and everytime she rode with me I couldn't keep front wheel on the ground..
Hit a bump in the road one tima and bottomed it out and then bounced so hard the front tire didn't come down for a block and half..
View Quote
All right, this fish is on the hook.  May as well tell some more stories because the mental image that is in my mind right now has me LOL.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#44]
ATGATT
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#45]
pre-owned 1999 FLHR Road King stk#615186

I agree with the ‘If you want a Scout, buy a Scout’ crowd. I was looking at KLRs and adventure-bikes in general, but something about my Road King just spoke to me. It’s older and affordable, has very low miles for its age, has been mildly customized by a previous owner who was close to my size, and the bike just fits. It has more chrome than I like, mainly because I’d rather ride than polish, but it came with the bike, so it stays.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Riding a motorcycle is one of the greatest things in the world, right up there with sex. Seriously.
Having said that I have broken enough bones over the years that I am done with it. Take the class, learn everything you can, and good luck.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Class is the best way to start out, a good low-investment way to try it out and see if you'd like to pursue it.

The usual pointers if you decide to continue:
Budget more than you think youll need for gear
Don't buy the bike you really want for your first bike, because you'll likely fuck it up

You have to accept that fact that every time you get on the bike, there's a very real chance you won't be coming home.

Been riding for over 10 years, wouldn't give it up for the world.
Oh i figured..

If you want a scout, buy a scout.
On first bikes... You may want to consider something like a Honda Rebel. Seriously. There are a lot of them out there used, and they're pretty much in demand for beginner bikes. Buy now, ride it a few months to learn the ropes, then sell it in the summer or the following spring. You should have no problem getting at least your purchase price out of it.

Regarding the class... Just do it. It's the best bike-related investment you'll ever make. And I'm saying that as a fifty-year rider with 800,000+ miles under my butt. I've spent a LOT of money on bike stuff in those decades. I think training is at least as important as gear.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Hello, Diesel_Maximus_2992

I've been riding for about 45 years, currently (3) duc's and an old boxer Beemer.
I fall off about every 8-10 years, on average. Haven't gotten hurt yet, I wear the gear. Mesh is a beautiful thing in S. TX.

Take the beginner's class, it's a blast 'cause you're on someone else's machine. Get the license, gear, and after you bust the cherry on your own motorbike, take the MSF "Expert" class. That's on your bike, so I would wait until you've dropped it before going expert on it. That's mostly slow-speed and crash avoidance stuff. Anybody can ride in a straight line fast, slowly, not so much.

Learn about proper braking (mostly done w/ your hand) and counter-steering. Counter-steering is also counter-intuitive, but like many survival skills, the muscle memory from constant practice will make it intuitive. Both of the above, with proper riding gear, will save yer' ass. Being able to stop quickly and almost instantly move laterally to avoid shit is invaluable.
The term "I had to lay 'er down" can be loosely interpreted as "I stomped on the brake pedal as hard as I could, next thing I knew I was on my ass.."

Choose your riding areas well. Until you get fairly comfortable with stopping, avoidance, and things like bike placement, I would not recommend commuting in heavy traffic. Cell phones have added a sobering new dimension to urban riding.

I think nearly everybody who begins riding are addicted to it quickly, as long as nothing catastrophic occurs early on.

Enjoy!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top