Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 1:57:22 PM EDT

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/21/world/main584940.shtml

Pan Am Bomber Enjoys 4-Star Jail

WASHINGTON, Nov. 21, 2003

(AP) Families of Pan Am flight 103 victims are expressing outrage over reports that a former Libyan intelligence officer who was convicted in the 1988 Pan Am bombing is serving his prison sentence in luxury.

State Department spokesman Adam Ereli acknowledged Thursday that the department has been contacted about the circumstances of the Libyan's incarceration.

"We have passed along these concerns to the appropriate officials in the United Kingdom for a response," he said.

A Scottish court convicted Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi of the bombing in 2001 and sentenced him to life imprisonment. A second Libyan was acquitted.

Pictures of Megrahi's surroundings at the Glasgow prison have appeared in the British media.

News of the World said the facilities rival those of a four-star hotel.

"They include his own kitchen and shower room, a sitting room and bedroom with en-suite toilet," the newspaper said.

The Daily Mail wrote that the conditions are in contrast to those experienced by the rest of the prisoners.

"Obviously, this is not justice or punishment, this is just part of a deal," said Dan Cohen, of Cape May Courthouse, N.J. Cohen is the father of Theodora Cohen, one of the 270 persons who died in the Dec. 21, 1988, explosion over Lockerbie, Scotland.

Meanwhile, the State Department renewed a warning to Americans not to travel or live there, saying the security situation in the North African country remains unstable.

There is no U.S. Embassy in Libya and "there has been evidence of hostility to the United States in some segments of the population and some elements of the Libyan government," the department said in a statement.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It might be a 4 star jail, but it's still a jail. My 2 star house is a million times better then his 4 star jail. I can leave when I want to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It might be a 4 star jail, but it's still a jail. My 2 star house is a million times better then his 4 star jail. I can leave when I want to.

Part of the problem.

For decades, the thought was that isolating a man from his family, etc. was enough. Clearly, that doesnt work(for many inmates), and "harsher" jails are sought, especially for those that cant or wont be rehab'ed.

Cold concrete and bars are too good for this Mf'er. That sumbitch should never be allowed to see the sun rise.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't own a coffee table.

I can't fathom why he's even still breathing, let alone has better furniture than me, excepting my kick ass futon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what happens when we rely on "international" justice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top