Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 8:10:44 PM EDT
Well the 91 Buick Regal is growing long in the tooth, and after 2 1/2 years of aggressively paying down debt and working on improving my credit, my credit union approved me for a new car loan today at a very fair rate.  So I'm looking to buy a new car with the following in mind.  Any advice is appreciated as this will be my first purchase on my own.

I applied for $15,000 which they approved.  Might be able to get more, but $15,000 is all I can actually afford on my current salary without really straining the monthly budget.

I have $3,000 of my own money to put down.  So total budget for everything including tax, title, registration is $18,000.  I would however prefer to put a $1,000 in a savings account for rainy days.

My credit union considers anything 2001 or newer to be a new car.  So I need not buy a new 2003 or 2004.

I am a fairly big guy, so sub-compacts are out.  The cars I am leaning toward are:

Hyundai Sonata or Elantra
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Mitsubishi Galant
Volkswagen Jetta

The only features I insist on having are automatic transmission and AC.

What do you all think of Carsdirect.com?  Seems they have a pretty good idea as to what people on average are paying.  Looks like I can get a 2003 Sonata V6 with automatic for around $15,300 after rebate.  So around $16,500-$16,600 with Tax, Title and Registration.

Anybody know if Hyundai's warranty is fully transferable?  They have a nice 2003 on the lot with 17,000 miles and all options including the sunroof for $14,500 and you could probably get them down to $13,500-$14,000.

Thanks in advance,
Hiram
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go for the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.  If you take proper care of those cars, you can easily take them past 200K miles.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top