BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 47
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:07:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AAF experts....computer illiterate and need help.

Moved to a great property up on the mountain 3 months ago. Have an ATT cell tower 1/4 mile away and full ATT service. No internet options out here so I bought an ATT WiFi hotspot with 100GB/mo for $100/mo. Problem is the boys are both streaming for school approx 6 hrs day. Burning through data FAST. What are my options. Started reading this thread but seeing as it’s two months old I’m asking. Would appreciate any advice...more than y’all know. Thanks!
View Quote

IF you have T-Mobile nearby, the Calyx plan is about half that cost and unlimited.   The Hardware they supply is sub-par, but that little SIM card works for me.

Calyx Internet

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
AAF experts....computer illiterate and need help.

Moved to a great property up on the mountain 3 months ago. Have an ATT cell tower 1/4 mile away and full ATT service. No internet options out here so I bought an ATT WiFi hotspot with 100GB/mo for $100/mo. Problem is the boys are both streaming for school approx 6 hrs day. Burning through data FAST. What are my options. Started reading this thread but seeing as it’s two months old I’m asking. Would appreciate any advice...more than y’all know. Thanks!
View Quote

Get the $20/month at&t unlimited tablet plan. Sign up with LTE tablet IMEI, then put the sim in a Nighthawk with a repaired IMEI
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Get the $20/month at&t unlimited tablet plan. Sign up with LTE tablet IMEI, then put the sim in a Nighthawk with a repaired IMEI
View Quote

What does this mean in english.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call at&t, there's a number in this thread, ask to sign up for the $20/month post paid unlimited tablet plan. Buy a Nighthawk M1 LTE modem, use a program called DC Unlocker to alter the IMEI# of the modem to that of a tablet, and put the at&t some in the modem. Enjoy low cost unlimited internet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

IF you have T-Mobile nearby, the Calyx plan is about half that cost and unlimited.   The Hardware they supply is sub-par, but that little SIM card works for me.

Calyx Internet

View Quote

Any idea on how they're operating currently? Like if I sign up Monday, will I get a Sprint hotspot and then get a TMO one? Or are they already sending those out? Also, is it location locked? Cause I'd actually like to use it on the road if possible. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Call at&t, there's a number in this thread, ask to sign up for the $20/month post paid unlimited tablet plan. Buy a Nighthawk M1 LTE modem, use a program called DC Unlocker to alter the IMEI# of the modem to that of a tablet, and put the at&t some in the modem. Enjoy low cost unlimited internet.
View Quote

What kind of speeds do you get with something like that?  Do I have to buy an IPAD or tablet to furnish an IMEI number to ATT, or can I just buy a SIM card?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What kind of speeds do you get with something like that?  Do I have to buy an IPAD or tablet to furnish an IMEI number to ATT, or can I just buy a SIM card?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed totally depends on your local tower, congestion, and signal strength. I was getting 30-50Mbps on at&t before getting Tmobile home internet.

You just need a valid imei# from an LTE tablet. There are various ways to obtain this. You do not need an actual tablet.

Edit: this is what I'm getting with Tmobile home

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Any idea on how they're operating currently? Like if I sign up Monday, will I get a Sprint hotspot and then get a TMO one? Or are they already sending those out? Also, is it location locked? Cause I'd actually like to use it on the road if possible. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calyx Internet

Not sure about Sprint, but I connect to TMO now. It is definitely not location locked, I've used it in Oregon CA, ID and HI I think they pushed out an update.

Like I said the hardware stinks but other hardware may be better.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Speed totally depends on your local tower, congestion, and signal strength. I was getting 30-50Mbps on at&t before getting Tmobile home internet.

You just need a valid imei# from an LTE tablet. There are various ways to obtain this. You do not need an actual tablet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177685/SmartSelect_20210101-193643_Speedtest_jp-1759436.JPG
View Quote

Why did you move away from the ATT setup to T-Mobile?  Any issues?  I’d love to hear more.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why did you move away from the ATT setup to T-Mobile?  Any issues?  I’d love to hear more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177685/SmartSelect_20210101-193643_Speedtest_jp-1759436.JPG

Because the tmobile service doesn't require violation of the TOS and is unthrottled and truly unlimited. If you're using the tablet plan in a modem and something stops working, you can't just call at&t and tell them your modem stopped working. With Tmo home, you have access to support. Also, like I said, truly unlimited. I used almost 2TB in December.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
If I may,

Ive been doing the ATT 20 buck tablet plan hack...with a mofi 4500 router and yagi external antennae signal booster setup.

I am stupid caveman....so maybe my stuff isnt set up perfectly somehow....

We have been pretty disappointed with it. Right now im getting 3mbps dl .07 ul. Constant drops of the signal etc etc. I could go on and on.

That said, it is $20 unlimited internet....I am only able to have horrible satellite internet devil where im at in the sticks.  Its all pretty "cheap" and worth a shot.....especially when its basically my only choice.

It does work, but it has never been great. Hopefully its better for you (and im sure there are 100 different things that factor in to that)

Dear Elon Musk please help
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because the tmobile service doesn't require violation of the TOS and is unthrottled and truly unlimited. If you're using the tablet plan in a modem and something stops working, you can't just call at&t and tell them your modem stopped working. With Tmo home, you have access to support. Also, like I said, truly unlimited. I used almost 2TB in December.
View Quote

Whose cell towers does T-Mobile use?  Or do they have their own?  I have an ATT tower 1/4 mile from my house and have a very strong signal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I may,

Ive been doing the ATT 20 buck tablet plan hack...with a mofi 4500 router and yagi external antennae signal booster setup.

I am stupid caveman....so maybe my stuff isnt set up perfectly somehow....

We have been pretty disappointed with it. Right now im getting 3mbps dl .07 ul. Constant drops of the signal etc etc. I could go on and on.

That said, it is $20 unlimited internet....I am only able to have horrible satellite internet devil where im at in the sticks.  Its all pretty "cheap" and worth a shot.....especially when its basically my only choice.

It does work, but it has never been great. Hopefully its better for you (and im sure there are 100 different things that factor in to that)

Dear Elon Musk please help
View Quote

What signal do you have at your place on a phone without the booster?  Just so I can get some perspective.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Calyx Internet

View Quote

Another vote for Calyx. I get as good as 200+ down and 15 or so up. Below is pretty typical.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Location is not locked, we use oursin our motorhome often.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Whose cell towers does T-Mobile use?  Or do they have their own?  I have an ATT tower 1/4 mile from my house and have a very strong signal.
View Quote

T-Mobile uses their own towers, leased space on shared towers and also has use of Sprint's towers now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Wish I knew someone with T-Mobile so I could see how good the service is at my place.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Last question in those with Calyx before I pull the trigger, what modem are y’all using? I’m assuming you can swap the SIM into another modem...
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:48:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I just bought this a few months ago from ATT.  Can I just get a SIM card only in the Calyx deal, save a bit of money, and use my existing WiFi router? At this point I’d recoup the cost in a few months even if I trash the ATt router, but if I can keep using it I’d like to.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wish I knew someone with T-Mobile so I could see how good the service is at my place.
View Quote

They do a thing where you can test it. They give you basically a captive cell.modem that you connect you your phone and try it for a week.

They call it a Test Drive

Quoted:
Last question in those with Calyx before I pull the trigger, what modem are y’all using? I’m assuming you can swap the SIM into another modem...
View Quote

Plausible.  The modem that comes with it is very basic and has zero external antenna ports. I know of people who have switched the sim cards. I believe you have to use software to change the modem imei.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm so relieved my Tmobile Home internet purchased for use in Corpus Christi, TX works for me at my new place in BFE AZ.

I avg around 30dn 15up, plenty for all of my needs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#22]
The link above for Calyx is saying the service is through Sprint, not T-Mobile. What’s up with the discrepancy there. It looks a bit “fly by night”. How do they get this deal?

ETA: I see Sprint and T-Mobile have merged. Has the merger placed the Calyx deal at risk?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They do a thing where you can test it. They give you basically a captive cell.modem that you connect you your phone and try it for a week.

Plausible.  The modem that comes with it is very basic and has zero external antenna ports. I know of people who have switched the sim cards. I believe you have to use software to change the modem imei.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is NOT correct. The better of the two offered , the MIFI 8000, has external antenna ports. The sims are not transferable, or at least they aren't supposed to be.
I use a usb cable to connect it to my ASUS AC1900 Dual band home router for additional range.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is NOT correct. The better of the two offered , the MIFI 8000, has external antenna ports. The sims are not transferable, or at least they aren't supposed to be.
I use a usb cable to connect it to my ASUS AC1900 Dual band home router for additional range.
View Quote

Correct, the Calyx sims are not easily swappable.

The Mifi8000, which is no longer offered, was a FAR superior device to the alcatel link zone 2. I purchased the link zone and it would be around 3-4 mbps most of the time. I bought a mifi off Ebay for $50 hoping I could get the sims swapped. Even without an antenna the mifi would pull 35-40 down. HOWEVER, it would "lock" after about 30 seconds of operation with the linkzone's sim card and no longer function. Various "unlockers" on Facebook were unable to swap it and started that they could not do so without a device that was already provisioned on sprint to take its place. Calyx will also not offer to swap the services.

So if you get the linkzone... you're stuck with it.

If you can alter the IMEI on whatever device you have, that might work.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The link above for Calyx is saying the service is through Sprint, not T-Mobile. What’s up with the discrepancy there. It looks a bit “fly by night”. How do they get this deal?

ETA: I see Sprint and T-Mobile have merged. Has the merger placed the Calyx deal at risk?
View Quote

"In 2013, Sprint acquired a competitor called Clearwire in order to gain control of the company's wireless spectrum in order to launch Sprint's LTE/4G business. Now, that spectrum was originally allocated for educational purposes before being sublicensed to Clear, and it came with the requirement that non-profits get unlimited access at very low prices."

Calyx is a nonprofit.

The legal obligation is attached to the spectrum, regardless of who it is owned by.  Could that change at some future date? Possible but unlikely any time soon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#26]
So you’re stuck with lousy router options now with no other recourse or options?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So you’re stuck with lousy router options now with no other recourse or options?
View Quote

Yes, there is no easy way to swap the Calyx router, unless someone wants to try the IMEI swap to something else. My Calyx account is no longer active as Tmobile came to me.

Don't expect much out of the linkzone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Correct, the Calyx sims are not easily swappable.

The Mifi8000, which is no longer offered, was a FAR superior device to the alcatel link zone 2. I purchased the link zone and it would be around 3-4 mbps most of the time. I bought a mifi off Ebay for $50 hoping I could get the sims swapped. Even without an antenna the mifi would pull 35-40 down. HOWEVER, it would "lock" after about 30 seconds of operation with the linkzone's sim card and no longer function. Various "unlockers" on Facebook were unable to swap it and started that they could not do so without a device that was already provisioned on sprint to take its place. Calyx will also not offer to swap the services.

So if you get the linkzone... you're stuck with it.

If you can alter the IMEI on whatever device you have, that might work.
View Quote

That is a bummer about the MIFI 8000! It gets me over 200 mbps down at times, without an external antenna  and attaches relatively  easily to my ASUS router.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Another similar option to Calyx is Family Motorcoach Association. FMCA WIFI  You don't have to have an RV but you have to be a member to get the Unlimited internet for $50 deal.

This is a month-to-month plan - you are free to cancel this plan at any time. includes use of a Sprint MiFi, will be billed on a monthly basis at the rate of $49.99.  a one-time rental fee of $39.99 for the mobile hotspot device. when you cancel service you have to return it or pay $200
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Another similar option to Calyx is Family Motorcoach Association. FMCA WIFI  You don't have to have an RV but you have to be a member to get the Unlimited internet for $50 deal.

This is a month-to-month plan - you are free to cancel this plan at any time. includes use of a Sprint MiFi, will be billed on a monthly basis at the rate of $49.99.  a one-time rental fee of $39.99 for the mobile hotspot device. when you cancel service you have to return it or pay $200
View Quote

Says they throttle video streaming though.  Not sure if that means to the point you can't watch videos or not...
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, there is no easy way to swap the Calyx router, unless someone wants to try the IMEI swap to something else. My Calyx account is no longer active as Tmobile came to me.

Don't expect much out of the linkzone.
View Quote

What did T-Mobile offer?  Still unthrottled/no cap internet?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I was about to sign up for CalyX tomorrow but then read about the modem. I have no internet at the house outside of my work phone.

I’ve limited myself to only here and some FB.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's only.one option now. Its subpar.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Says they throttle video streaming though.  Not sure if that means to the point you can't watch videos or not...
View Quote

I don't see that. I saw that they can throttleat times of high usage. I have not heard of it being done to anyone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There's only.one option now. Its subpar.
View Quote

The web sight still says Mifi 8000 but then doesn't offer it. Maybe temporarily out of them? Yeah, is still shows it as an option but says       " Currently out of stock"

"Members who join at the Contributor Plus level will receive the Inseego MiFi 8000, a mobile hotspot with improved performance and better build quality, as well as unlimited Wi-Fi service for the entirety of their membership."   https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/internet
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Just wanted to ask for any input on my internet situation, I've sort of been keeping up with this thread for the past year.  

I currently have a pre paid $35 att tablet plan and using a netgear lb1120.  I've been trying to stay under 20 - 25 gig per month since I heard they were cutting off these plans for excessive use.  It has been working okay but it would be nice to have unlimited data again, but I'm just trying to keep that plan active until something else is available.  thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#37]
My HomeFiHome went deded today (ATT).
Thinking about doing th3 ATT fixed rural wireless plan. It appears my internet connects to the lowest cell tower....im just outside the boundaries, but the other ATT towers im right in the middle according to cellmapper.

The only TMobile tower seems would give me great service according to cellmapper.
I was considering Calyx, but it says its only good for Tmobile towers that have completed the merge with Sprint, and according to Cellmapper, theres no Sprint towers near me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tmobile advertises unthrottled / no cap. I am overall very happy with the service but I suspect they are throttling to 50 mbps for a good part of the day as my speeds will sit almost exactly at 50mbps except during late night hours. I have seen as high as 120+, but only after midnight.

They also absolutely are throttling ESPN+, which I discovered when my mother wanted to borrow my home theater for sportsball games. 720p was enforced and it would buffer repeatedly whenever it attempted to go to 1080, leading to an overall unsatisfactory experience. This was bypassed by using a VPN.

So while tmobile is overall a great service compared to all the other options, they aren't completely perfect.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Tmobile advertises unthrottled / no cap. I am overall very happy with the service but I suspect they are throttling to 50 mbps for a good part of the day as my speeds will sit almost exactly at 50mbps except during late night hours. I have seen as high as 120+, but only after midnight.

They also absolutely are throttling ESPN+, which I discovered when my mother wanted to borrow my home theater for sportsball games. 720p was enforced and it would buffer repeatedly whenever it attempted to go to 1080, leading to an overall unsatisfactory experience. This was bypassed by using a VPN.

So while tmobile is overall a great service compared to all the other options, they aren't completely perfect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be congestion on your tower. I never see below 100Mbps at any time, and as high as 150Mbps in off hours. Haven't found a streaming app yet that they throttle either.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thinking about doing th3 ATT fixed rural wireless plan. It appears my internet connects to the lowest cell tower....im just outside the boundaries, but the other ATT towers im right in the middle according to cellmapper.

The only TMobile tower seems would give me great service according to cellmapper.
I was considering Calyx, but it says its only good for Tmobile towers that have completed the merge with Sprint, and according to Cellmapper, theres no Sprint towers near me.
View Quote

You sure the (previously) Tmobile tower isn't being administered by Sprint still?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You sure the (previously) Tmobile tower isn't being administered by Sprint still?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know. I just know that the t-mobile tower is listed as t-mobile in cellmapper.
On the other hand, It seems I can get T-mobile rural wireless internet direct from t-mobile as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do I get an IMEI?  I have read every post, and can't find the answer.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's on your hotspot device
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant how do I get a IPAD LTE IMEI to use for a data plan that I can "repair" my router's IMEI

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I meant how do I get a IPAD LTE IMEI to use for a data plan that I can "repair" my router's IMEI

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/c33yd7/ipad_lte_imei_question_how_to_obtain/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm going to try the t-mobile internet
www.t-mobile.com/isp/

$55 /mo, or $50 /mo with auto pay
Free shipping
No equipment cost
DIY installation
No contract

Now to find out what to do with my Nighthawk since I won't be needing it.

Only thing sucks is that I'll have to re-do my network and passwords to everything and reset my MESH extender because hell if I remember that password, and hope it is compatible with the T-mobile gateway
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm going to try the t-mobile internet
www.t-mobile.com/isp/

$55 /mo, or $50 /mo with auto pay
Free shipping
No equipment cost
DIY installation
No contract

Now to find out what to do with my Nighthawk since I won't be needing it.

Only thing sucks is that I'll have to re-do my network and passwords to everything and reset my MESH extender because hell if I remember that password, and hope it is compatible with the T-mobile gateway
View Quote

Tmobile home is tits. If you're on Facebook there's a mobile internet sales group, people buy nighthawks as soon as they're listed.

My usage on Tmo last month

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tmobile home is tits. If you're on Facebook there's a mobile internet sales group, people buy nighthawks as soon as they're listed.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177685/SmartSelect_20201230-194252_Home_Interne-1765692.JPG
View Quote

@Keymaster4225

Mind IMing me the group?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@Keymaster4225

Mind IMing me the group?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177685/SmartSelect_20201230-194252_Home_Interne-1765692.JPG

@Keymaster4225

Mind IMing me the group?

@dangerdan

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wireless.Joint/?ref=share
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#50]
It appears that Tmobile is sending me the new Nokia 5G21 gateway.
Are they good units?

Supposedly Tmobile has up to 5G in my rural area according to their personal coverage check.
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top