BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We don't know that the pickup will have a removable top.

Solid front axles suck.  I own a Wrangler despite the solid front axle, not because of it. Do you see any solid front axles on the most capable off-road vehicles available, like desert racing trucks or SxS ATVs?  Nope.  The only reason Jeeps still have them is to satisfy the traditionalists.  Time to move forward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
so a slighter smaller competitor to an F150?  check
F-150s have removable tops, soft tops, and solid front axles?

Solid front axles suck.  I own a Wrangler despite the solid front axle, not because of it. Do you see any solid front axles on the most capable off-road vehicles available, like desert racing trucks or SxS ATVs?  Nope.  The only reason Jeeps still have them is to satisfy the traditionalists.  Time to move forward.
Forgot one:

Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The super douche driving that will be interesting.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The vast majority of Wrangler owners will never go "rock crawling" with it, and would be far better off with IFS.  For most owners, their off-road activities will consist of driving it out to the dunes or beach on a weekend, or down a two-track to their hunting shack, but they won't intentionally smash it up on rocks every weekend.  Also, "sucks" is a strong word.  A well set up Polaris Razor will kick a Jeep's ass down any rocky trail, even with IFS.
View Quote
The vast majority of Ford Raptor owners don't go jumping dunes at a huckfest. (and if they did they would get their ass handed to them by much cheaper prerunner trucks with twice the suspension travel)
The vast majority of sports car owners don't take their cars to track days, or a drag strip.
The vast majority of Mercedes Gelandewagen (also still have solid axles, so does the Unimog) and Hummer/Humvee owners don't go invading the neighboring country.
The vast majority of Wrangler owners probably shouldn't have bought a Wrangler, but they are buying the image. And that image involves solid axles. It is what makes them so easy to offroad and modify. The newest Wranglers have been purposefully designed to be modified, and fit 33 to 35" (Rubicon) tires stock. The aftermarket is the biggest driver on price and resale with these things. Jeep/Chrysler would have to be brain dead to change the formula. They are selling a 1/4 million a year. This generation is supposed to be the 'best riding', but as far as the SFA goes, they will ignore the soccer moms and yuppies bitching about ride quality for the foreseeable future and continue to print money with these things.

The Polaris can sometimes best a Jeep because it is MUCH SMALLER and MUCH LIGHTER (a 1940s Willys or Jeep CJ2A/CJ3A/CJ3B etc can for the same reason). On some trails they are simply TOO small. You can't climb what you can't fit over or fall in to. Lots of broken stuff like front diffs when they run parts of the Rubicon trial etc. Someone needs to call up pro rock crawlers and tell them they need to start running Polaris Razors
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You bought it, or did your husband buy it for you?
View Quote
I wish ... you know what these fuckers cost?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Jeep pickup is a in-between of a Jeep and a truck.

I can see the appeal of it for some, possibly nice for hunters?
View Quote
Threeper technicals
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You bought it, or did your husband buy it for you?
Just wait until you start modding it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bought a JL Tuesday.

After hearing that Fiat execs comment about pricing for the truck they can shove it.
View Quote
How dare they ask a price they'll easily get and make a profit
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, we do. The JT will have a removable hard top and doors just like the JL. It's been confirmed and verified via spy shots. Everything else you said is dumb.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
they did not sell well the first time.  wonder how it will now. though jeeps are very popular still.

1981-1985
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kind of cool.  Single row with a long bed would be better.   Bringing back the International Harvester Scout would be pretty awesome too.
View Quote
fuck yes

Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He needs to consider the source, as well.  Consumer Reports is notoriously biased against American brands, and their methodology is questionable at best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeep reliability, or to say, non-reliability, concerns me.  Just saw Consumer's Reports reliability ratings, and Jeep, as a whole, does not fare well, at all.  Frankly, in my memory, it hasn't fared well for quite a long time.

I get it about re-sale values of Jeeps, at least some Jeeps.  That tells me that prospective Jeep buyers are not prioritizing reliability.

No insult intended to Jeep owners/fans.  
Jeep unreliability goes back decades.  It's never changed I guess because they keep selling.
He needs to consider the source, as well.  Consumer Reports is notoriously biased against American brands, and their methodology is questionable at best.
It's been getting better, but I can't take anyone seriously who tries to argue that Jeep reliability is awesome.  They are uniquely useful vehicles, a lot of fun, not hard to fix, and the 3.6's have mostly been OK.   But they are not on par with the better imports.

Maybe they actually got the JL hardtops to not leak, finally.   They sure as hell never managed it with the JK's.

Wheelbase on this thing looks silly-long, unless it's some sort of optical illusion.    Not much reason to go for one over a lightly built mid-size pickup if the wheelbase is longer.

They'll probably sell every one they make though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does the whole top come off? Like down to the bed?

If not no care.

Shameless TJ owner here.
View Quote
2 door pickup humvee owner here.  as long as they make sure to have a nice, weatherproof divider between bed and cab....
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To be seen at a mall near you.
View Quote
FPNI. Just like every other Jeep.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Wife wants one bad. Will be trading in her 4Runner for a diesel Rubicon when it comes out. Do to AO will add winch and lights.

Still wont be as cool as my Bog Block powered CJ-5 though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoulders too wide for a Jeep. I’m 6’4”.

Most of the Jeep’s I see around Texas are driven by girls.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm 6'4", 235. Sat in one earlier this week and fit fine. But they are driven mostly by women
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m curious of how these will shake out.
Will it just be a minivan with a Jeep/truck like exterior?
View Quote
Yes, just a mini van... With a frame, solid axles, lockers front and rear, a bed, and a removable top... Mini van.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the looks of it, but I still feel I should say something bad about it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Must be a texas thing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Unlike a lot of other arfcomisms, the mall crawler stereotype is a legitimately accurate stereotype.   Especially for wranglers.

I almost never see a stock wrangler anymore.  Its got about 20k worth of bolt on accessories, and never leaves the black top.  ALWAYS seen pristine with nary a smudge.

I don't hate, but jealous they have the money to spend so frivolously on unused accessories.  One could have a lot of fun taking mall crawlers out for what they're supposed to be doing.

It's a shame they will never use em to their capacity.

ETA:  i really like that truck's design.  The only thing that keeps me from buying jeeps is their subaverage reliability and resale.  Oh, and I'm too poor haha
View Quote
My Jeep was clean to the T when at the mall, and I guarantee it went more places on trails then you would probably ever drive a vehicle on.  YOU will always see these Jeeps at the mall, because YOU are at the mall. ??

Let's see your junk on Upper H. ????
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm 6'4", 235. Sat in one earlier this week and fit fine. But they are driven mostly by women
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I fit but it’s def not roomy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I love the ride of solid front axles on trucks.

It’s not a sports car, and shouldn’t ride like one.

So tired of Chevy’s made from  butter front ends.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Its not a fucking pickup...  For fuck sake!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Solid axles are simpler and more durable.  They have less moving parts and are less inclined to squeak over time.  You asking for Jeep, or even Ford and RAM, to get rid of solid front axles is like asking for America to be more like Europe.  You have your IFS options.  Stop trying to force your preferences on everyone else.

You're dead to me.

My ranch truck back when we lived in the city:

Attachment Attached File

Once upon a time crawler.  Should have bought a Toyota when I was 16.  I passed up one on the same lot as the first Mazda I saw and it was probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life.  I would still have it had I bought the Toyota...  The Mazda had a slip yoke front output on the transfer case so I had to rig all this up.  I ended up unbolting everything of value and scraping the rest.  Poorly set up divorced t-case kept stripping out every bolt hole in the trans from vibration.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
We have owned 2 CJs, a TJ, 2JKs, a Hemi Grand and now this ... wife said "you can have it but no mods 'till payoff"
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We have owned 2 CJs, a TJ, 2JKs, a Hemi Grand and now this ... wife said "you can have it but no mods 'till payoff"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If thats the case, she should know better than that
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its not a fucking pickup...  For fuck sake!
View Quote
Why not? Body on frame, separate cab and bed, solid axles...it's more traditional pickup than most pickups these days.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Unlike a lot of other arfcomisms, the mall crawler stereotype is a legitimately accurate stereotype.   Especially for wranglers.

I almost never see a stock wrangler anymore.  Its got about 20k worth of bolt on accessories, and never leaves the black top.  ALWAYS seen pristine with nary a smudge.

I don't hate, but jealous they have the money to spend so frivolously on unused accessories.  One could have a lot of fun taking mall crawlers out for what they're supposed to be doing.

ETA:  i really like that truck's design.  The only thing that keeps me from buying jeeps is their subaverage reliability and resale.  Oh, and I'm too poor haha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be seen at a mall near you.
Jealous?

You lost all credibility with that last statement.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks good, probably the best application for the JK chassis.
View Quote
This is on the JL chassis, no?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
JT Chassis. Similar to JL, but a completely unique frame. Ram 1500 rear suspension.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm 6'6" and I would almost put money that my shoulders are wider than you're (probably my stomach too ). Just got a jk and I love it. No problems fitting at all.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
JT Chassis. Similar to JL, but a completely unique frame. Ram 1500 rear suspension.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems odd that they would create a while new chassis when they could just reuse the JL.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It’s a JL châssis.
View Quote
groan
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Hopefully it’s decent and comes with a 5.7 or 6.4 option like most jeeps should.  Still thinking I’d like the AEV brute better.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Seems odd that they would create a while new chassis when they could just reuse the JL.
View Quote
JL frame is too short for this truck, and the suspension setup is different. JT frame is 18% longer. This is a legit mid size truck, not just a JL with a bed slapped on.

Older leaked CAD image of a JK frame vs the JT frame.

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ish....
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks like this.

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You would be wrong.  The manufacturers have to pay penalties for not meeting the standards, and every .1 mpg matters to them.  1 or 2 mpg might not seem like much to you, but it's huge to them.  It's also based on EPA tests, not real-world driving.
View Quote
Deleted.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#41]
It is on the short list to replace my Tahoe.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I want one. I can afford one. But I refuse to spend the amount they will want for one.

Fuck this new car market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want one. I can afford one. It may be what I replace my truck and my smaller car with to simplify. Body style looks nice. Easy to change things as I want to.

I want to see some asshole buy one and shove the Hellephant motor into it.
I want one. I can afford one. But I refuse to spend the amount they will want for one.

Fuck this new car market.
My sentiment exactly.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They're going to charge out the wazoo for this truck:
View Quote
So they are out to check it up out if the gate - nice

Rec
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Just leaked. It's gonna be called the Gladiator, not the Scrambler. Going old school.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
FUCKING LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite. It's longer than a JLU, unique frame, 6500ish towing. It's a true midsize truck...just convertible and solid axles, like God intended.
Like a better but less reliable Tacoma.
FUCKING LOL
QFT
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#47]
This picture look interesting

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#48]
That's the Gladiator concept from years ago. This is a much closer representation from last year. Although the Scrambler name is now dead again, apparently.

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Id drive it to the mall.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I want a full-length hardtop Troopy version.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top