Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/20/2003 9:33:52 AM EDT
Did the right to peaceably assemble turn into the right to peaceably assemble BUT ONLY IF YOU GET A PERMIT FIRST?

How did we sink so low that you now have to have a PERMIT to protest something?

This thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=216093

kinda set me off when someone replied "did they have a permit?"

[/rant]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:41:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:42:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2003 9:43:33 AM EDT by FLAL1A]

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:
Did the right to peaceably assemble turn into the right to peaceably assemble BUT ONLY IF YOU GET A PERMIT FIRST?

How did we sink so low that you now have to have a PERMIT to protest something?

This thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=216093

kinda set me off when someone replied "did they have a permit?"

[/rant]

It's based on the body of law that says speech can be regulated as to place, time, and manner of expression. For example, you can't protest the gay Episcopalian bishop by standing on the sidewalk outside an Episcopal church during mass chanting through a bullhorn loudly enough to disrupt the service. You can't protest federal logging policy by burning the Sec'y of the Interior in effigy in a national forest during a drought. Thus, a permit can be required to ensure that the time, place, and manner are lawful.

The one thing I have serious problems with (though it seems the courts don't) is these "free speech zones" they set up at political conventions and the like - usually a half mile from whatever it is people are protesting and whomever it is they want to communicate with.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:10:39 AM EDT

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably* to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

If they are not being "peaceable", then deal with them, but until then, their right to assemble is protected. (or is SUPPOSED to be).

IMNSHO, the requirement to get a "permit" is unjust/unlawful.

Main Entry: peace·able
Pronunciation: 'pE-s&-b&l
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a : disposed to peace : not contentious or quarrelsome b : quietly behaved
2 : marked by freedom from strife or disorder

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:14:11 AM EDT
Thanks Red.....that's pretty much the point I was trying to make, but I think you said it better.

If they're not being peaceable, then by all means, deal with 'em.
Top Top