Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 5:07:02 PM EDT
I would hurl.

www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,484153,00.html

Flatus Odor Judge:

Odor judges are common in the research labs of mouthwash companies, where the halitosis-inflicted blow great gusts of breath in their faces to test product efficacy. But Minneapolis gastroenterologist Michael Levitt recently took the job to another level—or, rather, to the other end. Levitt paid two brave souls to indulge repeatedly in the odors of other people's farts. (Levitt refuses to divulge the remuneration, but it would seem safe to characterize it thusly: Not enough.) Sixteen healthy subjects volunteered to eat pinto beans and insert small plastic collection tubes into their anuses (worst-job runners-up, to be sure). After each "episode of flatulence," Levitt syringed the gas into a discrete container, rigorously maintaining fart integrity. The odor judges then sat down with at least 100 samples, opened the caps one at a time, and inhaled robustly. As their faces writhed in agony, they rated just how noxious the smell was. The samples were also chemically analyzed, and—eureka!—Levitt determined definitively the most malodorous component of the human flatus: hydrogen sulfide.

Levitt defends his work against the reflexively dismissive by noting that doctors have never studied flatulence and that smell is a potentially critical medical symptom: "The odors of feces and intestinal gas and breath could all be important markers of gastrointestinal health," he says. Hydrogen sulfide, for instance, is an extremely toxic gas to mammals, potentially playing a role in ulcerative colitis, among other diseases. And so Levitt has dedicated his career to the study of the myriad fragrances produced by the human gut and imprudently ignored by the medical establishment.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
i would do it for enough money
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i would do it for enough money

Do you not have any pride at all?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was a kid, we thought the all-time worst job had to be beibg a SCUBA diver for Roto- Rooter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I nominate David Hineline to go and apply.... He is so close to the subject at hand being what he is...

Put that weapon down Hiney..I'm joking.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
This topic has been posted before.

But it's still funny!

As I read this, I passed a nice one...and guess what I've been eating?

Yep...a nice big bowl of freshly made Pinto beans, with hot sauce and onions!  

Here's another one now!  

Oh, man, these beans are GREAT!

You never know how good a batch of Pintos is until you've checked them out at both ends.

CJ

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Nurses aid in retirement homes..  except you get to get your hands in it.. and it on you..  and patients throw it at you, and lets not get started with all the hep c etc.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Those are pretty gross jobs, i give you that for some of them I would probably hurl. Although, I think the worst job would have to be not one that was gross but one that confined you, such as Clintons Secret Service Detail, got the gun right there and your 6inches from the guy (or girl) and you can't shoot him. That would be the worst job.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
And the number one worst job still is.......
Assistant Crack Whore!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,484153,00.html

The really sad part is that we taxpayers are probably paying for this "research."
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#12]
"And so Levitt has dedicated his career to the study of the myriad fragrances produced by the human gut and imprudently ignored by the medical establishment."

GOOD GOD!!  What a statement for your tombstone.  "He Smelled Farts for a Living."

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top