Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2003 3:06:26 PM EDT
Excellent flick. Highly recommended. The thinking man's action movie.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads-up!

I was starting to wonder, 'cause all the critics were giving it 4 stars.  Usually, their opinions suck!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
thats no shit.................if anything wins awards its usually a good sign to stay far, far away from it
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The whole movie just oozes manliness. (And not in a gay way, either.) Crowe plays the Tory naval captain to perfection. The liberal character is portrayed as intelligent and competent, but petulant and completely misguided on some issues. There's swordplay, cannons, duty, drinking, leadership, and bad jokes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Another one who liked it, (include the wife if you will).   I enjoyed this more than any Star Wars or Star Trek.  It's in the vein of the Hornblower stories.  Sorry, no chickies in the movie, although there were a few in the book.

Crowe does not have to carry this movie although if it were less than excellent he could have.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Good movie, and it's hard to have gun screwups with muzzleloaders...

Although I have a hard time believing that Doc could have survived a hit from a soft lead ball at the range he did (scene where the Marine tries to skeet shoot with a musket)...

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife and I saw it this afternoon.  We both enjoyed it very much.  It's Hollywoods' switch to historical dramas (more to come).

It's very well done.  I think you will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I saw it this afternoon. It was excellent, visually stunning and totally drew you into what was going on. Crowe and Bettany played off each other like Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin do in the books, and Peter Weir did a fantastic job of bringing the spirit of the books to the screen.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Although I have a hard time believing that Doc could have survived a hit from a soft lead ball at the range he did (scene where the Marine tries to skeet shoot with a musket)...

I thought the ball looked a little small for a musket of that vintage.  Yeah, still shouldn't have survived, taking it in the gut like that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw it tonight loved it. Russel does a Great job on this one. Wonderfully done.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got back about an hour ago from it.

Great movie, the part about the French captain/doctor was a good twist.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad you posted this. The previews don't look too impressive. I was going to pass on this one.

Guess I'd better dust off my Theater togs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I disagree, I think it was an OK movie, nothing that will win a best picture Oscar.  There was a lack of development of the enemy and even the good guys.  I would be interested in why he is so preoccupied with the French Captain.  Not to mention it left a huge opening for what smells like a sequel.  The problem is that this story was adapted from several books in a series and thus is unable to fully develop the characters.  I think the Hornblower movies were better.  Although you could not compare the special effects.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm going tonight, one critic said the conflict btw Crowe's character and his friend, the doctor, over whether Crowe is getting his men in over their heads in unbelieveable because you can't imagine Crowe's character losing a battle, lol.

You should see the French ship they were fighting against, then you'd understand.  I saw it this afternoon, one of the best movies I have seen in a long while.  And I think it's a shoo-in for Best Picture, except maybe they wont vote for it because Crowe starred in the Best Picture movie last year.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw this film today. It is excellent. It could have used more character development with the main actors.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#17]
CMC?

Wait..Nevermind talked about this earlier today.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I disagree, I think it was an OK movie, nothing that will win a best picture Oscar.  There was a lack of development of the enemy and even the good guys.  I would be interested in why he is so preoccupied with the French Captain.  Not to mention it left a huge opening for what smells like a sequel.  The problem is that this story was adapted from several books in a series and thus is unable to fully develop the characters.  I think the Hornblower movies were better.  Although you could not compare the special effects.

Try 19 books...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup 19.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Haven't seen it, but I plan to. It looks good and sounds good, according to this excellent review, Master and Commander: A Valuable Fable by Michael A. Hoffman.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I would not say thinking was needed. The movie was good, I did not like the unresolved ending. I would rather have preferred it went on untill thier was a clear cut winner.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Guys, for those of you who liked this movie and are readers, please read these books! Patrick O'Brian was probably the best writer of historical fiction ever. There is depth and character development rare in this type of novel. Highly literate, full of action and adventure. The 19th century sailing jargon can be a little hard to decipher at times, but stick with it. For any reader with an interest in quality adventure fiction, a must, and a fun way to learn about Napoleonic- era naval warfare.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
saw this one today

worth the five bucks
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the ball looked a little small for a musket of that vintage.  Yeah, still shouldn't have survived, taking it in the gut like that.

him digging it out from underneath his own rib was a little far out there too
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw it yesterday, good movie. I like the part where the doctor cuts off that little boys arm, cool stuff. I think he would have passed out from the pain though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#26]
well, i was loving the movie, and it was nearing the end when it was really getting good, and sadly, had to get up and leave to get somewhere in a hurry..

so i missed the end:(

someome IM me and tell me how it ended...

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
well, i was loving the movie, and it was nearing the end when it was really getting good, and sadly, had to get up and leave to get somewhere in a hurry..

a giant squid comes out of the ocean and sinks both ships
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a giant squid comes out of the ocean and sinks both ships

Too Jules Vern.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#29]
The ship in the book was an American ship, harassing whalers and taking them as prizes.  The doctor never gets shot in the book.  What's close to it is a seaman is given grapeshot to stick in his mouth because he is too talkative, (called it gobstopping).  He swallows one and the doc has to make him upchuck it before it clogs his vitals.  In the book they catch up to the American ship after it runs aground in the South Pacific but there is an interesting ending that leaves things a little up in the air.

The scenes around the Galapagos are in there and one speech is taken verbatim where Aubrey tells doc he can't go ashore.  

Aubrey and Maturin fall overboard and end up getting picked out of the water by some native chicks (kinda NOW types) who nearly decide a negative fate for them before letting them off on Tom Hank's coconut island.  The Surprise's crew look for them, catch sight of the outrigger with the Amazon types but can't catch up to them.  By then they sight the island and the distress signal of Aubrey and doc, who were wondering if they'd ever be found.

Far Side of the World was about no. 11 in a series of 20 or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top