Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2001 5:50:51 AM EDT
Seriously... I've pondered this for years but I haven't just gone and done it.  I have so much going on in my life that housework either falls further down on the list or I have to miss out on other things to clean the house... neither option is satisfactory.[V]  

There are some conveniences in life that are just worth paying for and I think, in my case, a housekeeper might be one of them.

What do y'all spend way too much time doing that you'd rather hire someone else to do?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Cleaning Guns.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Working.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I do 20 minuta day max.  Women spend too much time on small details. Efficiency is more emportant than details.  Eat over the sink and eat out of the pot you cook in, you know just small time savers.

I don't want some stranger messing with my stuff, so I don't think I would consider a house keeper.

JWM
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm filling in the next month or so for one of our drivers that had a quadruple bypass .  It's night shift, but it's only the Richmond shuttle and it's about $1000 more a month. I'm begining to like it so much I might grab the next one to come open (at least I'm begining to like the money[:D]).

Anyway, I've noticed that even though I'm spending the same amount of time at work, being reverse cycle allows me to get all sorts of stuff done.  I still have weekends off, so no problem seeing my kids.  

Now I've been doing laundry, cleaning house, doing yard work, working on my truck, all sorts of things are getting done.  Between that and the money, I'm really beinging to like this.  I spend the same amount of time doing the chores, but I've spread them out more.  I used to just put off a task until I needed to, then I'd have to weigh in and go after it.  Now I'm just doing a couple minutes of each task and it's working out great.  Of course it means stuff like my truck will be dead for a couple days instead of just one, but it's so much easier.

I guess it's just more productive use of my time.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I hear some people, after getting a house cleaner, clean up before they arrive.  One of those "visitor" arriving issues.

I don't know how people afford these monthly expences:
1) Gardener
2) House cleaner
3) Car washing service

I do everything myself...and of course ONLY for you Miss Magnum[:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
As tired as I am, I still do everything myself. I clean, I cook, I mow the lawn, water the plant, go to work, play with the kid and keep the lady happy.  You guys can laugh at me all you want but that's what I am doing. I mean the house is sparkling clean the way I like it. That is what "The Man of the House", been a father and been a husband should.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had a housekeeper for three years now. I love it!

I even have the lawn mowed. I figure my time is best spent either making money or having fun. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife has had a housekeeper for 17 years.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had a housekeeper for 3 years now and it's great. She comes in at 2pm and does it all. Laundry, house cleaning, ironing, geez she even irons my bed sheets, shopping, and she cooks for me twice a week ! Not too bad for $150.00 a week.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife says "why do I need to hire a housekeepe & gardener? When I got you!"
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#13]
We've been through three housekeepers in the past year. No matter how much we pay, they all flake out and fail to show up or call with some excuse why they can't make it at least twice a month. Maybe as the economy cools things will be different.

As far as security, everything valuable is locked in the "gun room/Matt's home office/no womenz allowed room" before she comes over. I clean that room myself.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#14]
No housekeeper, not married yet [}:D], but what you do is play with black powder and end up with a new house [X]
I spend to much time making dumb comments.
Ice
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I would not mind being a live in housekeeper/chef.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was living in Kali, my roommate and I had a house keeper. She came in every other week and cleaned the house top to bottom(vacuum/dust/bathrooms/dishes/including 2 loads of laundry). This was a 2bdrm/2bath single story condo about 1500sq.ft.

we paid $100 per month. That's $50 a piece. Don't know how big your house is, but it should but a lot more inexpensive compared to CA.

This is well worth it. After all time is money. Instead of spending a Sat trying to get caught up, and wondering what happened to the weekend, you can actually enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
I would not mind being a live in housekeeper/chef.
View Quote

How come I knew this was coming?  :)

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey Sarah, I need a house keeper too. About 5'5" dark hair, dark eyes. Next month I will be moving back into my 2 story 4 bedroom house, all alone. Might have to rent out a couple of rooms. Women only. (this story is developing).
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Two words: Leaf Blower
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do [i]not[/i] think I haven't considered this... [:D]

I tried opening all the doors and windows and turning every one of the room fans on high.  I managed to create a mini tornado but nothing migrated outside.  ::sigh::
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:
Seriously... I've pondered this for years but I haven't just gone and done it.  I have so much going on in my life that housework either falls further down on the list or I have to miss out on other things to clean the house... neither option is satisfactory.[V]  

There are some conveniences in life that are just worth paying for and I think, in my case, a housekeeper might be one of them.

What do y'all spend way too much time doing that you'd rather hire someone else to do?
View Quote
                                              Two things i utterly despise........that is, i will cut trees, split wood, do any house repairs, (not my favorite) r&r and overhaul engines or transmissions (mt 654`s if needed) prep and paint complete vehicles, do any mechanical items necessary, replace plumbing, heating, whatever....but two things i utterly dispise in life.....cutting grass, and washing dishes......strictly WOMEN`S WORK.....[pyro]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I pay $50 every two weeks. It is the best money I have ever spent. I hate cleaning.
We have done it for (5) years.
(My wife does pick up before they come)
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Remember Bill Murry in caddy shack? LMAO[%|]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top