BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There isn't a single thing Zach Snyder has done that isn't absolutely atrocious.  Anyone handing that man money hasn't a brain cell in their body.
View Quote
Not quite. I think 300 was an awesome movie.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There isn't a single thing Zach Snyder has done that isn't absolutely atrocious.  Anyone handing that man money hasn't a brain cell in their body.
View Quote
300 was awesome.

His other super hero movies sucked.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're nuts if you don't think DTOD 04 wasn't a fun movie!
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it just me or does Rorschach look like Scut Farkus from A Christmas Story?
View Quote
Looks a lot more like that Kelly kid from Bad News Bears.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I suppose so.  I often forget that was a Snyder movie because it was good, therefor it can't possibly be Snyder because he never does anything good.  Everything else he's ever done is garbage, though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Writing out the fake psionic space squid was a huge leap, given how faithful the rest of the movie was, and a very good decision.  Doctor Manhattan framed for the attack makes vastly more sense and streamlines the story wonderfully.  The squid would have totally muddled the whole thing just as the finale was peaking.

Great movie on every level.
View Quote
This!   You should be a movie critic!  Well Said!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was he the sidekick in The Human Target?
View Quote
Yes. Guerrero. Liked that show. So, of course they canceled it after 2 seasons.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I was gay (or a chick), I suppose it would have been a pretty decent movie.

Otherwise, I am not sure why i'd want to watch a bunch of oiled-up dudes show off their six-packs for two hours.

View Quote
get the fuck out of here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I really loved The Watchmen. Great movie.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's a great movie, but it's a cynical and kind of leftist story where "the real story" is that the super heroes were often rapists or mass killers. It's a very "late twentieth century" story were heroes turn out to be extremely flawed and end up causing evil, it reminds me of how Christopher Columbus was a hero when I was a boy and now is a no good oppressor of Indians and other powerless folk. Watchmen reminds me of all the attempts to rewrite history in the 80s and after in a cynical and anti american manner. I don't mean it's a bad movie, it's a great movie.

But Captain America Winter Soldier and Civil War are better super hero movies. Captain America is a life long .gov/company man, but when an elevator full of soldiers (well shield agents but whatever) tell him to surrender, he does what is right regardless of consequences, he fights everyone to save his friend and refuses to fight his friend even when it means his life. Sure they're a couple of Marvel blockbusters, but it's also a man protecting his innocent friend against the government.
View Quote
Before we get started, does anyone want to get off? ...

Classic Line!
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Before we get started, does anyone want to get off? ...

Classic Line!
View Quote
That's my favorite part of the movie!
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a great movie, but it's a cynical and kind of leftist story where "the real story" is that the super heroes were often rapists or mass killers. It's a very "late twentieth century" story were heroes turn out to be extremely flawed and end up causing evil, it reminds me of how Christopher Columbus was a hero when I was a boy and now is a no good oppressor of Indians and other powerless folk. Watchmen reminds me of all the attempts to rewrite history in the 80s and after in a cynical and anti american manner. I don't mean it's a bad movie, it's a great movie.

But Captain America Winter Soldier and Civil War are better super hero movies. Captain America is a life long .gov/company man, but when an elevator full of soldiers (well shield agents but whatever) tell him to surrender, he does what is right regardless of consequences, he fights everyone to save his friend and refuses to fight his friend even when it means his life. Sure they're a couple of Marvel blockbusters, but it's also a man protecting his innocent friend against the government.
View Quote
Rorschach is right.

When I was younger I thought it was the greatest comic. As I aged and had kids I realized that good can win and it’s important.

More of a Cap fan myself, “No, you move.”
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The opening showing the timeline is excellent.
View Quote
They did a great job with the Kennedy assassination. It almost exactly matches the original video.

I think it's a great movie.

And the songs they picked are perfect.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, the whole "even good guys are bad guys" shtick didn't sit well with me. Sure, there are times when there are only shitty choices but you don't have to go all Dr. Evil because you think its best for humanity. That usually has exactly the opposite effect.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
The affluent couple being saved from a robbery is supposed to be the Waynes, ie batmans parents. No dead Waynes= No Batman.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, the whole "even good guys are bad guys" shtick didn't sit well with me. Sure, there are times when there are only shitty choices but you don't have to go all Dr. Evil because you think its best for humanity. That usually has exactly the opposite effect.
View Quote
It's not that they're the bad guys; it's that they're flawed just like every else
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Come gather round people...

The music makes the movie.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I absolutely love the soundtrack for this film.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Winter Soldier actually is "innocent" as he was forced to commit his crimes because of "mind control." While he committed crimes he had no free will or intent to commit the crimes. Remember at the end of Winter Soldier "Bucky" overcomes his "programming" when his friend Steve is going to die and saves him. The Winter Soldier is a horribly unlikeable character who even cut down Tony Stark's parents, and Steve Rogers is the only one who is willing to go to bat for him. That's why I think they are such great films, they are epitome of fighting against all odds and even in defense of what appears to be an evil man, when it's the right thing to do.

Super hero stories were the Greek mythology of the 20th century, they told stories of archetypes of heroism that Americans aspired to, even if they were unrealistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bucky is innocent but the Winter Soldier definitely is not innocent. To me that's what makes those movies good. Everyone is both right and wrong. It all comes down to the individuals perspective and judgment. Those moves built the MCU because there was so much character development.
The Winter Soldier actually is "innocent" as he was forced to commit his crimes because of "mind control." While he committed crimes he had no free will or intent to commit the crimes. Remember at the end of Winter Soldier "Bucky" overcomes his "programming" when his friend Steve is going to die and saves him. The Winter Soldier is a horribly unlikeable character who even cut down Tony Stark's parents, and Steve Rogers is the only one who is willing to go to bat for him. That's why I think they are such great films, they are epitome of fighting against all odds and even in defense of what appears to be an evil man, when it's the right thing to do.

Super hero stories were the Greek mythology of the 20th century, they told stories of archetypes of heroism that Americans aspired to, even if they were unrealistic.
And thanks to subsequent derivative post modern schlock like Watchmen, now basically ALL hero fiction is derived in subverting these forms, making the audience question the hero's motives and the morality of heroism, and sympathize with the villain and his motivations.  And all because we got tired of John Wayne telling the same old predictable (positive) storyline.

At this point the anti-hero stuff is boring to me, all dripping with teenager angst & immature self loathing.  Ironically, as an adult I see the need for clear-cut "boring" hero stories and can enjoy them for their moving portrayal of positive messages, rather than for sheer novelty in defying as many tropes as possible.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]
nvm
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's not that they're the bad guys; it's that they're flawed just like every else
View Quote
Yeah, Hitler, Mao, and Stalin weren't bad guys.. They were just flawed like everyone else. Right?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#27]
The whole movie is a leftist post modern deconstruction of the American superhero.  The movie is despicable.  Rescuing children from a fire makes you horny?  Everybody with the possible exception of Rorschach is a piece of shit.  Fuck that movie.  It's one of the most sickening, disgusting movies I've seen in years.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
HBO is picking it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree. Wish they would have made a mini series out of it.
HBO is picking it up.
There will be so much blue penis added! It wil be epic! Penii everywhere and in every scene!
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Was he the sidekick in The Human Target?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#30]
One of my favorites
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I didn't much care for it. But, I do agree that Rorshach was the best super hero in that movie. In fact, I thought that he was the only decent super hero in that entire movie. The majority of the movie sucked, with the exception of the scenes with Rorshach. All of the other super heroes were losers, especially the blue giant idiot that had the most power which he squandered and stupidly assisted the villain super hero character that was murdering all of the other super heroes. Again, Rorshach came through as the only real super hero  when he refused to accept and perpetuate the lie that the villain super hero was conducting to scare the world, and he stood his ground even with the idiot blue giant icehole murdering him at the end. The pathetic Owl guy was totally worthless. And the premise of the entire movie was based on the "Outer Limits" episode "The Architects of Fear" as evidenced by their showing part of that episode on the TV at the end. Now, if they were to do a prequel movie and made it only about Rorshach and leave out all of those loser (not so) super, heroes, that is one movie that I would look forward to viewing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]
meh
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#33]
It was alright. Definitely not the best, imo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I disagree, an overwhelming common enemy has frequently unified bitter enemies throughout history.  There's a huge number of examples in the 20th century alone.  ETA: temporarily
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah. The villain's motivations were particularly dumb. I could never take it seriously.
Unify the world against a common enemy to prevent WWIII and spark a technological race that will colonize space, spread the race out enough that one foolish war can't wipe us all out?  That was an awesome motivation (that had a lot more meaning when it was written, during the Cold War).

"Peace based on a lie!"
"But peace nonetheless."

"I've made myself feel every death... see every innocent face I've murdered to save humanity."
Neither the villain nor the viewer have any reason to believe that the action he takes will accomplish that goal.
I disagree, an overwhelming common enemy has frequently unified bitter enemies throughout history.  There's a huge number of examples in the 20th century alone.  ETA: temporarily
The whole premise of that movie was taken from the Outer Limits" episode "The Architects of Fear." But, at the end, they failed, and the moral of the story was stated by the narrator, The Control Voice, who stated:

"Scarecrows and magic and other fatal fears do not bring people closer together. There is no magic substitute for soft caring and hard work, for self-respect and mutual love. If we can learn this from the mistake these frightened men made, then their mistake will not have been merely grotesque, it would at least have been a lesson. A lesson, at last, to be learned."
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Otherwise, I am not sure why i’d want to watch a bunch of oiled-up dudes show off their six-packs for two hours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise, I am not sure why i’d want to watch a bunch of oiled-up dudes show off their six-packs for two hours.

Well, it also has that whole "killing barbarians to preserve Western Civ" thing, so I can ignore the homoerotic beefcake overtones

If you cannot, well, then you're denying something.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Writing out the fake psionic space squid was a huge leap, given how faithful the rest of the movie was, and a very good decision.  Doctor Manhattan framed for the attack makes vastly more sense and streamlines the story wonderfully.  The squid would have totally muddled the whole thing just as the finale was peaking.

Great movie on every level.
View Quote
Agreed. Really glad they fixed that. Only issue I had with the comic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Unify the world against a common enemy to prevent WWIII and spark a technological race that will colonize space, spread the race out enough that one foolish war can't wipe us all out?  That was an awesome motivation (that had a lot more meaning when it was written, during the Cold War).

"Peace based on a lie!"
"But peace nonetheless."

"I've made myself feel every death... see every innocent face I've murdered to save humanity."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah. The villain's motivations were particularly dumb. I could never take it seriously.

"Peace based on a lie!"
"But peace nonetheless."

Agreed. The motivations of Ozymandius were actually pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The whole movie is a leftist post modern deconstruction of the American superhero.  The movie is despicable.  Rescuing children from a fire makes you horny?  Everybody with the possible exception of Rorschach is a piece of shit.  Fuck that movie.  It's one of the most sickening, disgusting movies I've seen in years.
View Quote

Okay, grandpa.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The whole movie is a leftist post modern deconstruction of the American superhero.

Everybody with the possible exception of Rorschach is a piece of shit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The whole movie is a leftist post modern deconstruction of the American superhero.

Everybody with the possible exception of Rorschach is a piece of shit.  
I mostly agree with your post, the parts I left in especially.

I would have also added that I thought the acting and editing was bad for everyone aside Rorschach

So I view it kind of like The Last Jedi.

Seems its purpose was one thing but the outcome was the other.

All of the other heroes were debased and it showed when they all gave up their posts without much fight. Rorschach is the only one unwilling to leave his principles behind and believes truth trumps all. Moore hated right-wing politics and this was his right wing character and the only one who is worthy of being called a hero.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Peace based on a lie!"
"But peace nonetheless."

Agreed. The motivations of Ozymandius were actually pretty damn good.
He just had to kill millions of people to make the plan work. Like Stalin.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#40]
No way that story is told the same way today. The Ozzy gay dude was a diddler, and you can just imagine the SJW screaming over that plot point. If Hblow is doing a version, they will turn him into a noble peace activist or something.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Watchmen was almost a great movie.  There is some stuff in there that I really like.  There's also a lot of derp.  A lot of liberal idiocy.  Dumb plot.  Unsatisfying ending.  Looked very cool.

It was almost the best super hero movie ever.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
What if they were giant oiled up Robots?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I didn't care for it, nor did I read the comic books
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm right there with ya Bird....Cpt America has always appealed to my super hero guidelines.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ultimate Cut is leaps and bounds better than the theatrical release. I got no sense of urgency or alarm while watching in the theater. The UC stresses the nuclear apocalypse potential much better and makes the ending and villain motivation seem relevant.  Missed that on the shorter cut.

Off on the 2nd best tangent, I like Unbreakable and have seen trailers for a sequel, Glass. Split with James McAvoy is part of the series too.   Granted, it's M. Night... but I thought it was a well done take on the genre.
View Quote
Unbreakable was gritty and excellent. I'm not sure people consider it a 'superhero' movie due to the absence of CGI, capes and tights. But they would be wrong
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He just had to kill millions of people to make the plan work. Like Stalin.
View Quote
That's what made him believable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I didn't much care for it. But, I do agree that Rorshach was the best super hero in that movie. In fact, I thought that he was the only decent super hero in that entire movie. The majority of the movie sucked, with the exception of the scenes with Rorshach. All of the other super heroes were losers, especially the blue giant idiot that had the most power which he squandered and stupidly assisted the villain super hero character that was murdering all of the other super heroes. Again, Rorshach came through as the only real super hero  when he refused to accept and perpetuate the lie that the villain super hero was conducting to scare the world, and he stood his ground even with the idiot blue giant icehole murdering him at the end. The pathetic Owl guy was totally worthless. And the premise of the entire movie was based on the "Outer Limits" episode "The Architects of Fear" as evidenced by their showing part of that episode on the TV at the end. Now, if they were to do a prequel movie and made it only about Rorshach and leave out all of those loser (not so) super, heroes, that is one movie that I would look forward to viewing.
View Quote
His backstory says he got started on the vigilante thing from the Kitty Genovese story. Most of that story was fabricated by the media.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Unbreakable was gritty and excellent. I'm not sure people consider it a 'superhero' movie due to the absence of CGI, capes and tights. But they would be wrong
View Quote
AKSHUALLY, a poncho is a front-cape and a back-cape, with hood....

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with it.
View Quote
Yes he was in Human Target. He was good in it too.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top