Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
beautiful
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Nope, it is completely factory stock. Original air-pump and all.

Garage kept in the south, single owner (my grandfather before he passed), and 42k miles.

I just wish I had more time and money to invest in it, as right now it is physically perfect in almost every way except for the fact that it runs like hot garbage.

I've looked into some of those options using the GM TBI, an I really like the AFI setup since it looks so clean and turn-key, but those TBI's are getting old too, and I worry about parts and long term compatibility with E10.

The Fitech is pretty new to the scene, so nobody has a turnkey yet for it.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Do it right now if your rig is stock and in good shape. Especially if it's weeping. They can go at any moment and your engine is wrecked.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/160767/DSC01067-643914.JPG

Do it right now if your rig is stock and in good shape. Especially if it's weeping. They can go at any moment and your engine is wrecked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, it is completely factory stock. Original air-pump and all.

Garage kept in the south, single owner (my grandfather before he passed), and 42k miles.

I just wish I had more time and money to invest in it, as right now it is physically perfect in almost every way except for the fact that it runs like hot garbage.

I've looked into some of those options using the GM TBI, an I really like the AFI setup since it looks so clean and turn-key, but those TBI's are getting old too, and I worry about parts and long term compatibility with E10.

The Fitech is pretty new to the scene, so nobody has a turnkey yet for it.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/160767/DSC01067-643914.JPG

What is it? A freeze/knock-out plug that comes out?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/265591/cruiser-643916.JPG
View Quote
Yeah, galley plug on the passenger side. It's really the only weak link in the 4.2. Tons of threads on 'mud.

Mine was an '83, same color as yours.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
@PFran42 what front bar is that? Looks like a lower profile than an ARB, but it could just be the angle.

I'll be getting a slee rear for mine soon.

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, galley plug on the passenger side. It's really the only weak link in the 4.2. Tons of threads on 'mud.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/265591/cruiser-643916.JPG

This is an 83, same model as me. I grew up in it learning to hunt and fish with my grandfather. It was his farm truck that lived in the barn and never went much farther than the gas station in town.

I've done a fair bit of reading on 'mud, and I think I recall seeing something about a bad galley plug. I'm guessing you can get a plug kit from somewhere?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@PFran42 what front bar is that? Looks like a lower profile than an ARB, but it could just be the angle.

I'll be getting a slee rear for mine soon.
View Quote
That was a TJM. I have a Slee on it now.

Another pic with the TJM.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is an 83, same model as me. I grew up in it learning to hunt and fish with my grandfather. It was his farm truck that lived in the barn and never went much farther than the gas station in town.

I've done a fair bit of reading on 'mud, and I think I recall seeing something about a bad galley plug. I'm guessing you can get a plug kit from somewhere?
View Quote
No kit that I know of. You just pull the plug, tap the hole and thread in set screws with thread locker. Angle drill, taps and patience are all you need.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Do it. 200 series owner here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sure, yeah, like one of the best SUVs ever designed is dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fat, dumb, and slow isn’t any way to go through life.
Sure, yeah, like one of the best SUVs ever designed is dumb.
It’s a trap
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21931/CEAB6674-3655-4B7A-863F-582E4D3B8F8F-636859.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21931/0F992FAC-6348-4685-95A0-09A58141D5A6-636860.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21931/530046E7-594E-4472-B06A-560F961ADB24-636861.JPG

Bought this used in 2008 (bone stock) for around $6k.  All told with all the gear I’m still in very low 30s.  The drawers, rack, and gear is relatively new as the kids are easier to get out camping now.
View Quote
You can partly blame me for this!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That was a TJM. I have a Slee on it now.

Another pic wi5h the TJM.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/37E9657A-5A56-480B-8FDB-547BE30CF512-643943.JPG
View Quote
What's the details on this truck?

Looks nice. If I could find one with reasonable miles and cold AC I'd buy one instead of a 4runner TRD when I finally retire the old FJ.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks nice. If I could find one with reasonable miles and cold AC I'd buy one instead of a 4runner TRD when I finally retire the old FJ.
View Quote
Go to IH8MUD.com and read all you can in the 100 series section.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mine would run 75 all day long. It was spinning about 3200rpm if I remember right. That was with 32s. If I had an unlimited budget, I would have Slee build me a 60 on an 80 chassis, with 100 Series engine/transmission. The 60s are the perfect size in my opinion.
View Quote
While the 4.7 is bulletproof I wish I had more power in my old tundra and gx
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#15]
You’re probably looking for a 100 series then if you’re looking at 25 ready to overland.  I have 2018 200, and I can tell you there’s a huge jump up in everything even since 2015. Ih8mud is probably the best place to gather info.  LC does not equal GX no matter how you slice it.  A good deal on a LX may be worth considering, though I’ve always been a LC purist.  If it’s a just for fun vehicle, find you a nice 100 with around 80-100k miles in the 15-17k range and make it yours.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bought it, joined IH8MUD the next day and started ordering mods for it shortly after. I did everything myself except air lockers, diff and new gearing. You can put 500k miles on these things. They are that good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

While the 4.7 is bulletproof I wish I had more power in my old tundra and gx
View Quote
It would be plenty in a 60 and I really enjoy the way it feels in my 100. There's always times a little extra would be nice, but day to day it's fine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bought it, joined IH8MUD he next day and started ordering mods for it shortly after. I did everything myself except air lockers, diff and new gearing. You can put 500k miles on these things. They are that good.
View Quote
Most new owners will get familiar with your products as well, lol.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Most new owners will get familiar with your products as well, lol.
View Quote
Shhhh.... I honestly don’t like shilling. In this thread, I am just a happy Land Cruiser owner.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Lots of familiar usernames and owner pics in this thread from IH8MUD.  I've owned 40/45/80/100/200-570.

I have a built 100, but end up camping and offroading my wife's 570 more just because of the kids.  Turns out the mistake in my offroad design (kids werent born yet and now the 3rd is on the way) was not accounting for the family's explosion.  They do take up a lot of cargo space :)
Never accounted for 2X Minnie Mouse suitcases when mentally planning my trips.  But at least they all enjoy camping....typing this from the 10 person tent that I didnt account for either...hahah

Now I need to plan for a HUMVEE  camping trailer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lots of familiar usernames and owner pics in this thread from IH8MUD.  I've owned 40/45/80/100/200-570.  
View Quote
The cross pollination between the two sites amazes me. Especially considering how liberal Cruiser owners tend to be. I joined 'mud on recommendation of arfcommer about 8 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Shhhh.... I honestly don’t like shilling. In this thread, I am just a happy Land Cruiser owner.
View Quote
I hear ya.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#23]
hello experts, I think I found one (not a LC, but a GX 460).  Went and test drove tonight, 77K miles, $27K, immaculate service record/carfax, in awesome shape, barely even surface rust underneath it.  I am taking it to my local mechanic tomorrow (hopefully) to do a once over.  Paint in great shape, interior in 95%+ shape (a few dings here and there) no evidence of rust or anything underneath it or in the engine compartment anywhere (was garage kept).

Any last warnings before I move forward?  Things I need to look for?  Look at?  Test further?  Am I setting myself up for a service nightmare in terms of cost?  Or can I take it to my local guy to service?  I have a 2004 Tundra that I've done the oil changes, etc, but does have have all the fancy stuff on it.  I am hoping to keep this for another 100K miles or more, so I will make sure to do proper maintenance.

I have a Toyota certified mechanic that does work from his home garage right up the street also.  I think everything is basically Toyota parts, right?

Thanks all
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#24]
You didnt post the year, but 2nd air injection pump can be a problem on pre 14's. Warranty expanded on that part to 10/150k.

Look around the water pump to make sure it's not leaking. You'll see a pinkish film around the pump area.

Also make sure it's not leaning to the right.

Even its level, you will want your mechanic to check the kdss relief valves. Dont open them but make sure they are not rusted shut. They are located under a cover on the frame rail.  If they turn a bit great, slap some grease on them and move on.  If not and they are rusted  - pass, even if its sitting level. Very expensive to replace and the system has to be repressurized and not all dealers have the special equipment to do the job.  Last I checked its $3000 in parts and fluid + 10 hours of labor. It's a rare fail but something to look at. The valve being rusted would be my only big concern.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#25]
08 Sequoia 5.7L here.  165k miles.  No problems, minus replacing a starter.  I tried to do some Googling and I haven't really found at what mileage they die. Dealership told me that they're coming in with 300 and 400K miles and still going.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's mine..
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
08 Sequoia 5.7L here.  165k miles.  No problems, minus replacing a starter.  I tried to do some Googling and I haven't really found at what mileage they die. Dealership told me that they're coming in with 300 and 400K miles and still going.
View Quote
I’ve always wondered about these. Yeah, they’re “not built to the same level as an LC,” but are they really that bad?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't beat me up too bad here.... My primary winter ride is a 1991 4Runner. She goes everywhere, but......

For the money people are getting for high mileage LC's you can bet a low mileage Land Rover LR3. Ford power plant, air suspension, factory skid plates on everything, available locker, etc....

I'm gonna be honest, I owned a Euro repair shop and never had an LR3 towed in.  The closest was a failed water pump and another with a water intrusion problem, but both drove in. LR4's are a different story with the direct injected motors.....

I had an LR3 for 100k miles. It was my "overland" vehicle. My dirt bike hauler went in the hitch receiver, EZ-up, folding table and camping gear went inside. Seats fold completely flat so I could sleep inside (6' tall). I also towed a bunch of heavy boats with it and eventually a hard side folding camper.

Last year when my wife's 2012 X5 Diesel was totalled I went on the hunt for a first gen Range Rover Sport (basically the same truck, but a different body). We found a '08 with 100k for $13k. I spent about $4k completely servicing and going through it. Super nice vehicle. I've hauled my boat all over with it this summer. 6k lbs boat and we live at 7k feet. Just, let that 4.4 spin...
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You didnt post the year, but 2nd air injection pump can be a problem on pre 14's. Warranty expanded on that part to 10/150k.

Look around the water pump to make sure it's not leaking. You'll see a pinkish film around the pump area.

Even its level, you will want your mechanic to check the kdss relief valves. Dont open them but make sure they are not rusted shut. They are located under a cover on the frame rail.  If they turn a bit great, slap some grease on them and move on.  If not and they are rusted  - pass, even if its sitting level. Very expensive to replace and the system has to be repressurized and not all dealers have the special equipment to do the job.  Last I checked its $3000 in parts and fluid + 10 hours of labor. It's a rare fail but something to look at. The valve being rusted would be my only big concern.
View Quote
It is a 2013, thanks, will pass along to my local mechanic dude.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’ve always wondered about these. Yeah, they’re “not built to the same level as an LC,” but are they really that bad?
View Quote
My brother has a first gen (they look better than the second gen imo) and it’s falling apart and the interior is ugly as sin. Little things are breaking on it and it has 25k less miles than my LC. lol

When I was looking at a new 4Runner the sales guy was trying to get me to buy a Sequoia. He couldn’t believe I told him hell no and I would take it if it was free. For what they ask for those of take a slightly used LC over one any day. Hell, I’d rather drive my 18 yo LC with 171k miles on it than a newer Sequoia.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't beat me up too bad here.... My primary winter ride is a 1991 4Runner. She goes everywhere, but......

For the money people are getting for high mileage LC's you can bet a low mileage Land Rover LR3. Ford power plant, air suspension, factory skid plates on everything, available locker, etc....

I'm gonna be honest, I owned a Euro repair shop and never had an LR3 towed in.  The closest was a failed water pump and another with a water intrusion problem, but both drove in. LR4's are a different story with the direct injected motors.....

I had an LR3 for 100k miles. It was my "overland" vehicle. My dirt bike hauler went in the hitch receiver, EZ-up, folding table and camping gear went inside. Seats fold completely flat so I could sleep inside (6' tall). I also towed a bunch of heavy boats with it and eventually a hard side folding camper.

Last year when my wife's 2012 X5 Diesel was totalled I went on the hunt for a first gen Range Rover Sport (basically the same truck, but a different body). We found a '08 with 100k for $13k. I spent about $4k completely servicing and going through it. Super nice vehicle. I've hauled my boat all over with it this summer. 6k lbs boat and we live at 7k feet. Just, let that 4.4 spin...
View Quote
LOL... That is all.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LOL... That is all.
View Quote
Yea lol
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It is a 2013, thanks, will pass along to my local mechanic dude.  Thanks!
View Quote
There is a bypass kit for the air injection system. I don't know anything about kdss. If it's like replacing AHC with conventional coils, then no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the kdss fails you don’t have to replace it though correct?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I would want one too but then I remember if I’m gonna pay luxury prices then I would get a new Range Rover Sport and not some plastic piece of junk pieced together with Camry and Corolla parts.

Haters flame on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm betting its wrapped out

My FJ60 is completely factory bone stock, tip to tail, and she feels like she is about to come apart at 75
View Quote
We were actually surprised it ran so well at that speed. But yea, she didn’t want much more than that.
Suspension has been gone through completely to include bushings so it rides pretty nicely for what it is. Smog pump has been gutted but no other engine mods.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Easy to fix too. Won’t take long at all to do.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There is a bypass kit for the air injection system. I don't know anything about kdss. If it's like replacing AHC with conventional coils, then no big deal.
View Quote
KDSS is a hydraulic swaybar system.  Here is a pic of the front hydraulic articulation solenoid connected to the front swaybar.  (Rear is similar)

Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If the kdss fails you don’t have to replace it though correct?
View Quote
Yes, you can strip it out and replace with standard sway bars, but if it fails (rare) it usually fails at 1 corner so it has a bad list.  May require some additional parts, but not 100% sure.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

KDSS is a hydraulic swaybar system.  Here is a pic of the front hydraulic articulation solenoid connected to the front swaybar.  (Rear is similar)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58012/DSC00100-646378.jpg
View Quote
Neat. I've heard it's a great setup.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yea lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... That is all.
Yea lol
All I'm saying is... you guys don't know what you don't know. LC's are cool, but not at $25k for a 200k vehicle. I looked a bit when we bought the last Rover. Rover's have basically all the same after market support.

Anywho..... that's the response I expected.

ETA, wait till your air injection fails and you go into limp mode miles from anywhere. Limp mode for air injection failure..... retarded.  I just recovered one last week because it couldn't pull a pop up camper out of It's campsite. (There's a work around, but you shouldn't have to).
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My brother has a first gen (they look better than the second gen imo) and it’s falling apart and the interior is ugly as sin. Little things are breaking on it and it has 25k less miles than my LC. lol

When I was looking at a new 4Runner the sales guy was trying to get me to buy a Sequoia. He couldn’t believe I told him hell no and I would take it if it was free. For what they ask for those of take a slightly used LC over one any day. Hell, I’d rather drive my 18 yo LC with 171k miles on it than a newer Sequoia.
View Quote
The first gen sequoias did have some bugs, especially with fit and finish, but the 4.7 will last a long, long time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All I'm saying is... you guys don't know what you don't know. LC's are cool, but not at $25k for a 200k vehicle. I looked a bit when we bought the last Rover. Rover's have basically all the same after market support.

ETA, wait till your air injection fails and you go into limp mode miles from anywhere. Limp mode for air injection failure..... retarded.  I just recovered one last week because it couldn't pull a pop up camper out of It's campsite. (There's a work around, but you shouldn't have to).
View Quote
Land Cruisers are designed around a 30 year, minimal maintenance, industrial use cycle. The leather, DVD players and Nav? That's just for the soccer moms. Under the smell of cowhide is a machine designed to run for decades in African diamond mines, conduct UN missions in areas with limited infrastructure, etc.

When you pick up that $10-15K LC with 150K on the clock, you are good to go for another 350k and 20 years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve seen four sequoias on wreckers with broken spindles or ball joints.  Never got close enough to see what exactly broke.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is a 100 Series diff (top) vs. one from an FJ. Keep in mind that the FJ is a very robust vehicle.

Which one is build for 30 years of life in harsh environments?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... That is all.
Yea lol

Wait you are serious.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Here is a 100 Series diff (top) vs. one from an FJ. Keep in mind that the FJ is a very robust vehicle.

Which one is build for 30 years of life in harsh environments?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/100_Series_Diff-647016.JPG
View Quote
Thats a great pic.  Also considering the FJ has more similar HP and both vehicles have close to the same weight, yet the 100's 8" rear is much beefier.

The 200 series went to an even larger 9.5" rear. (9" front)
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thats a great pic.  Also considering the FJ has more similar HP and both vehicles have close to the same weight, yet the 100's 8" rear is much beefier.

The 200 series went to an even larger 9.5" rear. (9" front)
View Quote
When will people get it through their heads that Land Cruisers were built to make it through anything (like 30 years worth of jungles). The Land Cruiser is what made Toyota into what it is today. It was their original flagship vehicle. They figured if they could prove the LC out in industrial applications, the brand would be well shored for global expansion and the introduction of new consumer oriented models.

People who say “muh Tahoe” truly have no idea about the differences under the sheet metal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Please welcome me to the "clone" club for Land Cruisers.  we like clones at arfcom, right?

Going to sign paperwork on 2013 GX460 (Prado "clone").  local mechanic checked it out and said it was pretty much pristine (claim was it was owned by a pastor and garage kept and he said he agreed to that claim based on condition).

It is bone stock, 77K miles on it.  What is the first modification I should do to it????

Thanks for the input on this thread thus far and helping me spend money.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Please welcome me to the "clone" club for Land Cruisers.  we like clones at arfcom, right?

Going to sign paperwork on 2013 GX460 (Prado "clone").  local mechanic checked it out and said it was pretty much pristine (claim was it was owned by a pastor and garage kept and he said he agreed to that claim based on condition).

It is bone stock, 77K miles on it.  What is the first modification I should do to it????

Thanks for the input on this thread thus far and helping me spend money.
View Quote
Bumpers and sliders, getting rid of all the plastic cladding. Improves ground clearance, approach angles and shows you mean business when you pull into Starbucks.

Metal tech
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top