BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That guy might be reselling them for $200.

But they're only $48 direct from the source.  You can get them with Microtech logos, or without logos like the "$200" ones in that Instagram video

https://m.dhgate.com/product/special-offer-halo-vi-tactical-knife-4-4/416229390.html#s1-2-1;searl|0914661969
https://www.dhresource.com/600x600/f2/albu/g7/M00/0E/25/rBVaSVs8fjKATQraAAUP9SMOu9g558.jpg
View Quote
That's super cool, but I don't know if I really believe that's d2 steel.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

link for $30? all closest i see is 58

ETA after a short search, item was located
View Quote
oh, well shit in that case... how do I pick one with the lettering?  @hardhit77
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's super cool, but I don't know if I really believe that's d2 steel.
View Quote
If you don't want d2, they have them with elmax too
https://m.dhgate.com/product/microtech-automatic-knives-halo-v-halo-vi/419544524.html#s1-22-1;searl|3636165808

And Halo Vs with elmax for as low as $34
https://m.dhgate.com/product/special-offer-microtech-black-classic-halo/417430050.html#s1-1-1;searl|1049609328

These look pretty cool if you like more of an Infidel style
https://m.dhgate.com/product/high-end-andy-manufacture-paladin-auto-tactical/418838261.html#s1-5-1;searl|0945806464
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well y’all sold me for a lightning for $35. Will see if it’s worth a shit
View Quote
Go to the lightning website and sign up for their email list.  Be patient, and you will get a coupon code for lightning knives for 25 bucks shipped.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the most expensive website I've ever been a member of.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow,that DH place also has a "LaRue" QD for cheap money !

https://www.dhgate.com/product/new-larue-tactical-30mm-double-ring-quickly/132080281.html#s1-0-1b;searl

How bad can it be ?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Two knives bought and i wasn't even in the market for one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've bought a Shirogorov knockoff, and a "CH3515" original design off dhgate, and I'm happy with both. I would stick to reputable sellers like Dicoria and chinahighendedc though.

From what I've seen in reviews, the cheap microtech clones are mostly junk, but the $150+ Vespas seem to rival if not beat the quality of real microtechs.  I've avoided clones of US made knives, but I don't know if microtech is worthy of such restraint.

Be careful, and do research on the seller and exact model knife you are interested before purchasing. Counterfeiting is so bad in China they even have knockoff clones of knockoff clones.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/new-larue-tactical-30mm-double-ring-quickly/132080281.html#s1-0-1b;searl

How bad can it be ?
View Quote
You mean "Rarue".
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

oh, well shit in that case... how do I pick one with the lettering?  @hardhit77
View Quote
no idea m8
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@Jalap-inya that Vespa knife looks cool, but it's $200! seems like if you're gonna hit triple digits, may as well go a bit further and get the real thing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These Chinese knock-offs look very solid.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Blkbiu6H0py/?taken-by=chinahigh_endedc

Heretic Knives seem to be a high quality alternative to Microtech.
http://www.hereticknives.com/manticore-x--da-otf.html
@Jalap-inya that Vespa knife looks cool, but it's $200! seems like if you're gonna hit triple digits, may as well go a bit further and get the real thing?
I have no firsthand experience with either Microtech or the Vespa, but from the decent amount of research I've done the Vespa is supposed to be every bit as good as the real deal, maybe even slightly better.

ETA: Here's the link to the Vespa https://www.dhgate.com/product/high-quality-vespa-version-halo-vi-folding/418500476.html?recinfo=8,null,2#vhpd-2-5|null:null:r0395381554#dt1501-viewed-2

Here's the link to the 'Miker' Halo V that I actually just received today https://www.dhgate.com/product/microtech-halo-v-150-10-t-e-outdoor-tools/253080031.html.

The grinds on the blade are nice and symmetrical and the edge is pretty sharp. The blade fires out hard and the action is smooth.

There's a slight amount of lateral blade play, but other than that, it seems soild. The quality is impressive for $50.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here's the link to the 'Miker' Halo V that I actually just received today https://www.dhgate.com/product/microtech-halo-v-150-10-t-e-outdoor-tools/253080031.html.

The grinds on the blade are nice and symmetrical and the edge is pretty sharp. The blade fires out hard and the action is smooth.

There's a slight amount of lateral blade play, but other than that, it seems soild. The quality is impressive for $50.
View Quote
@Jalap-inya any way to get some pics of the one you actually got? you can pm or text if you want. seems like a good way for me to see if I want a single action. I'm on the hunt for a combat troodon for EDC.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How bad can it be ?
View Quote
30, 31mm, whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@Jalap-inya any way to get some pics of the one you actually got? you can pm or text if you want. seems like a good way for me to see if I want a single action. I'm on the hunt for a combat troodon for EDC.
View Quote
Sure. I'll post some up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
The Herretic Manticore-X looks really nice:

Cool enough to be worth the Felony
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#16]
You just crossed off the best one available. Microtech. You're asking for mediocrity. Can't help you.

" />
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Lightning sent out an email yesterday with Buck model 110 auto knives on sale, with coupon code.  Yeah, I know they are not OTF, but they still are cool.

How many here have a Buck auto?

That's what I thought.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#18]
JMHO but I think OTF knives are largely overrated and just a bit flashy.  I’ve owned a few from the $35 cheap-o chicom knock off, to the Benchmade Infidel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#19]
For you guys buying the cheapo lightning OTFs do yourself a favor and take them apart and polish up the sear surfaces.  I bought one for my brother and another for my BIL this Christmas and the action on both felt like ass.  10 minutes of work with some small stones and the actions were like butter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#20]
The Vespa's from dhgate are pretty decent build quality, and they come with a bit which is nice as I needed a bit for my MT Cypher and couldn't find the correct one to order from BHQ. So I look at it as buying an overpriced bit that I received a free knife and case with.

That said I do question if they really use the steel they say they do, or if its been hardened correctly...

-pd
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are these OTF knives combat worthy?
View Quote
Lol. no.

They are an expensive novelty that can "Possibly" hurt someone.

Just like one of these.

Sure, it may work. Are you willing to bet your life on it?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For you guys buying the cheapo lightning OTFs do yourself a favor and take them apart and polish up the sear surfaces.  I bought one for my brother and another for my BIL this Christmas and the action on both felt like ass.  10 minutes of work with some small stones and the actions were like butter.
View Quote
Or you can just watch TV and go clickCLACKclickCLACKclickCLACK for an hour or two like a normal person.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
No.

Microtech is probably the "best" OTF blade but their CS is such a shit-show that I won't touch them even if they are "the best."

Benchmade makes a decent one but it's massive in comparison to the folding versions.

OTF blades are cool, I'll agree.....but the cons vastly outweigh the pros, IMHO.

I have lots of "user blades" that I carry/use regularly that are worth substantially more $ than the knives in this thread.  Both folding and fixed.

OTF knives are cool, but I won't have one due to the number of "issues" I've noted people having with them and how much of a PITA (nearly fucking impossible) it is to get the companies to stand behind the OTF knives on the market.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Microtech Ultratech: Field Test
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]
@Jalap-inya looks great! how's it feel and fire?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#29]
@steviesterno16

ETA: It feels solid and the blade fires fairly strong, I can't compare it to the real thing though, having never handled one.

That's a Large Sebenza 21 Insingo for size reference.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Alright, you got me. I bet it's more like 440 than elmax, but it will be fun to play with that Halo. Er, "halo".

What's the normal time to arrive from something like that?

I am a little terrified of carrying it in my pocket, though. I know how safe a double action is, but a single action made of chinesium is scary.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#31]
trying to buy it through the DH gate link, but as I put in the card number it keeps saying "This transaction was declined.please choose a different card." but the number is right. any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lightning
View Quote
Great value, and fun.

Microtechs are higher quality but pricey.

I have both. The lightning is fine for every day needs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#33]
shit's illegal in MN for some retarded reason.

I can legally carry a fucking loaded gun around, but not one of these scary knives.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
shit's illegal in MN for some retarded reason.

I can legally carry a fucking loaded gun around, but not one of these scary knives.
View Quote
I said the same thing when they were illegal in WI and MI.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I said the same thing when they were illegal in WI and MI.
View Quote
Carried it anyway like most people with these in ban states?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
trying to buy it through the DH gate link, but as I put in the card number it keeps saying "This transaction was declined.please choose a different card." but the number is right. any ideas?
View Quote
You running a vpn?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You running a vpn?
View Quote
what's a VPN?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Alright, you got me. I bet it's more like 440 than elmax, but it will be fun to play with that Halo. Er, "halo".

What's the normal time to arrive from something like that?

I am a little terrified of carrying it in my pocket, though. I know how safe a double action is, but a single action made of chinesium is scary.
View Quote
Usually 2-4 weeks, but sometimes it arrives in 1 week

"Haro"
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#39]
it's saying I'm declined even before I get the date and code in. Tried my wife's card. hesitant to try a debit card.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was just sitting here rechecking this thread since yesterday.

I'm going to have to go be poor somewhere else.  Everytime  I visit here it cost me moneu
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Whelp, in for a lightning OTF Tanto.  Will be a good box opener.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I have an "Andy Manufacture" 9046 that does NOT say Microtech on it, a sample from DHGate.

The bang for the buck is shockingly high, AND it has a working safety...something the Halo III-V does not.

I have $40 for a novelty letter opener. I'm too poor to afford a $700+ Microtech Halo. If you can afford the real thing, I'm glad and good for you.

Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How bad can it be ?
View Quote
Interesting.

I wonder how many of those have been sold on the EE as genuine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How bad can it be ?
A few wraps of black electrical tape and it’ll fit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is it really D2? Hard to believe even coming from China
View Quote
D2 is pretty prevalent in China seeing as they mak alot of industrial cutters like planer blades etc...
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I used to be a fan of Microtech until I tried to get one of their knives serviced and their customer service was completely useless, will never buy another Microtech. On the other hand, have always had good service from Benchmade.
View Quote
I see alot of broken Microtechs at pawn shops, probably because they won’t service their knives...
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
how does one do Aliexpress? I'm interested in a single action for shits and giggles but don't want to spend a fortune. Also not interested in having my card info stolen or whatever.

part of me feels bad buying a fake or copy. the other part of me thinks it would be cool.
View Quote
Use a CC with international fraud protection. I called my card company to confirm coverage before I order anything overseas.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, how does this happen? I guess I have poor impulse control .
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Just dropped in for the obligatory “fuck microtech”

Now have two knives of theirs they refuse to fix or sell me parts for.  They were nice enough to pay for shipping back to me though after refusing to do anything.

Will never buy another one of their products. Worst service I have ever encountered with any company, period.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just dropped in for the obligatory “fuck microtech”

Now have two knives of theirs they refuse to fix or sell me parts for.  They were nice enough to pay for shipping back to me though after refusing to do anything.

Will never buy another one of their products. Worst service I have ever encountered with any company, period.
View Quote

I've been collecting Microtech since 1997, and I've never had an issue with their customer service. They even throw in free stuff.

Unless the knives you have are long out of production and they just don't have parts for them anymore, I have a real hard time believing you.

But relevant to the thread:
Here is a shitty video comparison/review I did of a fake Cypher vs. a genuine. My first & only youtube video, so forgive my  lack of skills & crap narration.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top