[#1]
Cash for later
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are correct reading is fundamental

this is your words

I clearly stated that Fidelity only follows buy and hold asset allocation. They don't model anything looking forward.

He was on your ass because you filled out the risk tolerance questionnaire and your allocation isn't matching it right now.

Then you went on about how every one sucks with modeling and you strategy is great.
View Quote
Once again, BS.  My strategy is my strategy, never claimed it was "great".  I said "maybe" Fidelity is ACTUALLY SEEING clients leave the market.  If correct, this is an OBSERVATION in real time and has absolutely NOTHING to do with modeling.  Nothing.  Zip.  Nada.

My advisor has never called me before when my asset allocation varies from my target.  He knows I buy and sell RE and that my balance and allocation can vary a lot over a short period of time.  Once again, for your clarification, he's never made a call like that before.  The timing was odd.  Given where we are in the market cycle, it might, or might not, have something to do with Fidelity offering no-cost stock funds.  Time will tell.  Jeez, dude, talk about argumentative.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for Fidelity, they are gathering assets and helping the small investor as well as smart investors. Financial Advisors with $50MM UM don't have the time to service accounts under $500K.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll stay with Vanguard and let them to continue to bet me out of 4 basis points.

Good for Fidelity though.  I am sure others will follow.
View Quote
John Bogle is a genius!

Vangurd was the first with very low fees.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd guess the fee probably doesn't get enough attention from most people.  In your $100 example, sure, who cares?  But what if you make that $100,000?  Assuming your math is right you'd have a difference of $2500 in a single year, and hopefully over time we're all working with a lot bigger numbers than $100k.  I get that you're talking managed funds and not this free S&P index deal, but those fees are still an enormous factor whichever way you go.  Especially when you've got a 45 basis points fee against a 15 basis points fee and the two funds perform pretty much the same over a 30 year period as I think these things tend to do.  I'm not at my work computer to run the math on an example but it's a huge difference over time when you're talking about hundreds of thousands or millions of invested dollars.  Plus you've got to figure up the compounding value of the fee difference beginning year 1, in addition to the straight yearly difference, i.e. that $2500 difference in year 1 is actually worth over $10,000 in 30 years at 5% annual interest.  That kind of difference gets you well into 6-figure territory over the course of a 30-40 year career.

My only point is it's definitely worthwhile to research funds and stay on top of our fees, and make sure we understand exactly the costs, and tradeoffs, we're making with high-fee funds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total noob here, would this just be free free stock trades? Is this worth opening an account?
No, not free stock trades.  Yes, it may be worth having an account.

Stock trades in most cases have a fee on fidelity.  This is a mutual fund (not a stock, a bundle of stocks) you can transfer money in to (for free), and it has no upkeep charge (free).  So in theory all your money stays your money.  It is like having a savings account that is made up of stocks.  It sounds better than having an old fashioned savings account in every way except it could lose value.

I'll have to see if my 401k with them picks that up as an investment option.

EDIT: I do think the management fee gets a bit too much attention.  I have one account with a management fee of .45% that earned 16%, and I have another account that has a .015% management fee that earned 12%.  If I had $100 in each, I'd have 116 and 112 before the fee, and 115.5 and 111.98 after the fee if I'm doing my math right here.  The large issue is that nobody can tell you whether the fund with the higher fee will actually have better results or not: statistically it won't perform any better, so the numerically sensible choice is to pick the one with the lowest fee.  But statistics are one of the three kinds of lies. . .
I'd guess the fee probably doesn't get enough attention from most people.  In your $100 example, sure, who cares?  But what if you make that $100,000?  Assuming your math is right you'd have a difference of $2500 in a single year, and hopefully over time we're all working with a lot bigger numbers than $100k.  I get that you're talking managed funds and not this free S&P index deal, but those fees are still an enormous factor whichever way you go.  Especially when you've got a 45 basis points fee against a 15 basis points fee and the two funds perform pretty much the same over a 30 year period as I think these things tend to do.  I'm not at my work computer to run the math on an example but it's a huge difference over time when you're talking about hundreds of thousands or millions of invested dollars.  Plus you've got to figure up the compounding value of the fee difference beginning year 1, in addition to the straight yearly difference, i.e. that $2500 difference in year 1 is actually worth over $10,000 in 30 years at 5% annual interest.  That kind of difference gets you well into 6-figure territory over the course of a 30-40 year career.

My only point is it's definitely worthwhile to research funds and stay on top of our fees, and make sure we understand exactly the costs, and tradeoffs, we're making with high-fee funds.
You left itemized deductions out of your napkin WACC calc, hoss.

Not that I disagree with you in principle, but using your example of 45 vs 15 basis points. Reduced by 30% tax savings. We’re talking .09% difference. (Assuming you’re already over 2% AGI).

I’m not making major life choices over 9 basis points.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No fees?

What are they trying to get out of this? Simply stealing clients away from other firms?
View Quote
They get rid of bad investments and overbought positions. Just offer them up for sale and guess who comes running.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll stick with my old, water-stained mattress, thanks.
View Quote
Those stains aren't from water
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know about any of this.   The idea here is that you can get 12% return by putting your money here versus the 1-2% the bank gives you?   The downside being there is risk on losing that money?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not that I disagree with you in principle, but using your example of 45 vs 15 basis points. Reduced by 30% tax savings. We're talking .09% difference. (Assuming you're already over 2% AGI).

I'm not making major life choices over 9 basis points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total noob here, would this just be free free stock trades? Is this worth opening an account?

Stock trades in most cases have a fee on fidelity.  This is a mutual fund (not a stock, a bundle of stocks) you can transfer money in to (for free), and it has no upkeep charge (free).  So in theory all your money stays your money.  It is like having a savings account that is made up of stocks.  It sounds better than having an old fashioned savings account in every way except it could lose value.

EDIT: I do think the management fee gets a bit too much attention.  I have one account with a management fee of .45% that earned 16%, and I have another account that has a .015% management fee that earned 12%.  If I had $100 in each, I'd have 116 and 112 before the fee, and 115.5 and 111.98 after the fee if I'm doing my math right here.  The large issue is that nobody can tell you whether the fund with the higher fee will actually have better results or not: statistically it won't perform any better, so the numerically sensible choice is to pick the one with the lowest fee.  But statistics are one of the three kinds of lies. . .

Not that I disagree with you in principle, but using your example of 45 vs 15 basis points. Reduced by 30% tax savings. We're talking .09% difference. (Assuming you're already over 2% AGI).

I wasn't thinking about that, but how many people actually itemize their deductions?  I'm even less an expert on taxes than investments, but I'm guessing outside of arfcom a good number of people take the standard deduction.  I might be totally wrong.

9 basis points..I guess.  I'd actually still think about it depending on a couple factors, but you might be right  I was just using the previous posters 15 and 45 numbers (BTW now I see I actually misunderstood his post), but what about when that spread is 100 basis points right?  15 or whatever on an index fund and 120 points on an actively managed.  The numbers do get yuge over time even if you can deduct part of that fee.

Sounds like you get it, probably more than I do.  I think a lot of people never even consider the fees though, at least that's what I've experienced at work when I talk to younger employees and coworkers about it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The announcement is creating quite a stir over on the bogleheads forum.

Both Vanguard and Fidelity generate additional income by "securities lending" (of the customers stocks held in the funds). Vanguard says they put all additional income from this activity (except for small expenses) back into the funds. Not sure about Fidelity treatment, or differences in risk level due to their own internal rules.

Also, the two Fidelity zero funds will track their own index list of stocks, which have not been revealed yet.

Waiting to see how this plays out. Im sure there will be some Vanguard response.
View Quote
Might want to explain what "securities lending" actually is to the folks here that don't understand the shorting mechanism. Especially the role hedge funds play in that little endeavor.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't know about any of this.   The idea here is that you can get 12% return by putting your money here versus the 1-2% the bank gives you?   The downside being there is risk on losing that money?
View Quote

It's about to be the longest bull market in a while.

What fidelity is doing is putting the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Except in the long run you won’t lose $.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except in the long run you won’t lose $.
that entirely depends on the index...
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Might want to explain what "securities lending" actually is to the folks here that don't understand the shorting mechanism. Especially the role hedge funds play in that little endeavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The announcement is creating quite a stir over on the bogleheads forum.

Both Vanguard and Fidelity generate additional income by "securities lending" (of the customers stocks held in the funds). Vanguard says they put all additional income from this activity (except for small expenses) back into the funds. Not sure about Fidelity treatment, or differences in risk level due to their own internal rules.

Also, the two Fidelity zero funds will track their own index list of stocks, which have not been revealed yet.

Waiting to see how this plays out. Im sure there will be some Vanguard response.
He should....it will tie in nicely to how I said ETFs will have their hand in the next down turn.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#21]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
SO, if you had put your money in this fund in 2000 it would have taken until 2015 for you break even?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#23]
What is the symbol for the EFT?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SO, if you had put your money in this fund in 2000 it would have taken until 2015 for you break even?
View Quote

That's why you dollar cost average so you're buying shares at a low price to offset shares purchased before the downturn.

Timing the market is hard to do. Very few people can consistently time the market. I started my investing career in 2004 all throughout the run, burst, crash, and recovery. I kept putting money in every month. I wish was sitting on a bunch of extra cash to buy into the 2008 crash but only hindsight lets me say that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what is GD's thoughts on index funds right now? I have money in one and it's done OK but wondering if I should get out before it crashes next year or two.
View Quote
You are uniquely qualified to market time, just like everyone else.  I say go for it!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No fees?

What are they trying to get out of this? Simply stealing clients away from other firms?
View Quote
They are trying to get people to buy as much of it as possible.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No.  The stocks that make up this index pay dividends, not big ones, but they exist nonetheless.  That would be on top of whatever is shown on that chart unless the index is inclusive of dividends, which presume the one in the chart is not.

As a second point, just about nobody invests their entire life in one big lump sum at a singular point in time.  If some one has been investing in a fund which mirrored this index for the past 18 years, they'd more likely have new money invested at numerous points between 2000 and 2015.  Their first dollar invested in would have performed terribly but their dollars invested in 2001...20002...20003...2004...ect would have had a much better go at it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
adjusted for inflation actually 18 years...

Nikkei 225 is still not back up.

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
@madmathew

I know far less about this than I’d like, but I’ve always found securities trading fascinating so I think I can give you a good enough definition.

1. The hell are you getting 2% on a bank account? Best money market I know of (Barclays btw) is 1.75% interest. Brick and mortar savings account is more like 0.02%. That’s not even matching inflation, so you’re losing purchasing power in a savings account every year.

2. The stock market as a whole returns around 15% over time. Well above inflation.

An ETF is a package put together by a brokerage firm. A brokerage firm is who buys and sells stocks on your behalf and charges you a fee on the transaction. What you’re buying with an ETF is a piece of a portfolio, consisting of any number of stocks, bonds, commodities etc.
They set them up to try and mirror the performance of certain indexes well known examples being the S&P 500 or Dow Jones Industrial Average.

Could you do this yourself? Yes. You could purchase a share of every stock on the S&P 500. However, it’d be thousands of dollars to do so and around $5 for each trade.

That’s the value they provide, the brokerage house bought a huge chunk of all of them and let’s you buy a piece of each for a small fee of whatever you’re able to invest. Whether that be $100 or $100,000.

It gets infinitely more complex when you get into the details but they’re designed in general for the lay investor. You tell them how much risk you’re willing to take and what your timeline for needing your money back and they’ll recommend you options. That’ll in general be more diversified (lower risk) perform better and be vastly cheaper than you could do unless this is your full time job.

And even if it is your full time job there’s no reason to not have at least some of your money in these types of funds.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No.  The stocks that make up this index pay dividends, not big ones, but they exist nonetheless.  That would be on top of whatever is shown on that chart unless the index is inclusive of dividends, which presume the one in the chart is not.

As a second point, just about nobody invests their entire life in one big lump sum at a singular point in time.  If some one has been investing in a fund which mirrored this index for the past 18 years, they'd more likely have new money invested at numerous points between 2000 and 2015.  Their first dollar invested in would have performed terribly but their dollars invested in 2001...20002...20003...2004...ect would have had a much better go at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DCA is why 401ks end up working so well over the long term. But when someone retires, they are basically putting a lump sum to work at that one point in time as the cash flow into the account has stopped. It still sucks that you loose 30-40% of your money. Really no reason for that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
DCA is why 401ks end up working so well over the long term. But when someone retires, they are basically putting a lump sum to work at that one point in time as the cash flow into the account has stopped. It still sucks that you loose 30-40% of your money. Really no reason for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sorta agree but there at least a few mitigating factors.

First, cash flow in has stopped but the outflow is likewise going to be periodic rather than all at once.  You aren't going to withdraw everything on Day 1 of retirement.

Second, I presume that anyone who was REALLY counting on that money in retirement would be shifting their asset allocation to a more conservative mix as they approached retirement so that they wouldn't get stuck with the full misfortune of a 2008 event when they retired in 2007.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Regarding the whole managed fund fees and beating the indexes and the like.

I have a friend who has developed and run an investment club site for a "long time" (Internet perspective).  But he has quite a lot of data and has been able to study the results of different approaches.

His own money is pretty much all in Berkshire Hathaway.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
30 years ago some professor said investing in the index works better than attempting to be more savvy.

that works as long as central banks keep pushing entire markets ever higher with fake currency printing, which they have been able to do since then, every time the market attempts to correct.

past performance is not indicative of future results.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

First, cash flow in has stopped but the outflow is likewise going to be periodic rather than all at once.  You aren't going to withdraw everything on Day 1 of retirement.

Second, I presume that anyone who was REALLY counting on that money in retirement would be shifting their asset allocation to a more conservative mix as they approached retirement so that they wouldn't get stuck with the full misfortune of a 2008 event when they retired in 2007.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct, you are essential reverse dollar cost averaging. Let's say you have a -20% year, now you are at -25% due to withdrawal. Even the most venerable funds from the big guys aren't immune to this.

The biggest thing that has lulled a sense of security into retirees is how the recovery unfolded from 2008, it was a pronounced V shape recovery.

That was not the case at all in 2000-2002....the next one probably won't have the savior of rates dropping 800 basis points to bolster bonds either....matter of fact most of the bond funds are keeping their duration low due to rising rates and in turn will lose the effectiveness of a large duration number if rates were to fall.

Then despite all the technical quirks in navigating all of this you then have to consider a persons emotions in all of this mix.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@madmathew

I know far less about this than I'd like, but I've always found securities trading fascinating so I think I can give you a good enough definition.

1. The hell are you getting 2% on a bank account? Best money market I know of (Barclays btw) is 1.75% interest. Brick and mortar savings account is more like 0.02%. That's not even matching inflation, so you're losing purchasing power in a savings account every year.
View Quote
@clausewitz8

I just picked 2% randomly.

Thanks for the explanation!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I guess late 1989 was a good time to sell.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I guess late 1989 was a good time to sell.
View All Quotes
yeah that was a disaster over there in Japan.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I see responses from folks on here that admit they don't know anything about fund investing (ex above). And I see responses from folks that think they know how to beat the markets consistently, saying things like "....get out of stocks"!. No wonder there are myriad articles on people not having enough to retire!

For the former: Take some time to learn the fundamentals about fund or ETF investing for the long term. It ain't rocket science if you can figure out how to ignore the charlatans. Ive already suggested a good, free place to start (bogleheads.org). And/Or just copy one of the "lazy portfolio"s (google it), add money religiously, and rebalance to a decreasing % ratio of stock/bond funds based on your age once a year. (Following that last sentence is the essence that will give you a comfortable retirement). The most important things are saving $$$ and saving early. Secondarily are low fee index funds. You can do it in tax sheltered (401K, IRA, Roth IRA) and/or taxable funds (might take a bit more strategy for tax management). Whatever you have access to.

For the latter: Thanks. Keep doing what you are doing. 20% of you might beat the market in some years, and lose out in others (especially after they subtract trading fees). Us index investors need some suckers to set the market prices!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#39]
@midcap
It's always bugged the shit out of me that Dave Ramsey claims that it's very easy to find mutual funds that average a 12% annual return or better over time, but he NEVER mentions specifically the funds he's talking about. Are these returns common in mutual funds that require huge minimum investments? Or is he full of shit?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

yeah that was a disaster over there in Japan.
View Quote
I remember when the the Japanese were coming over here with cases of cash to buy things.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wasn't thinking about that, but how many people actually itemize their deductions?  I'm even less an expert on taxes than investments, but I'm guessing outside of arfcom a good number of people take the standard deduction.  I might be totally wrong.

9 basis points..I guess.  I'd actually still think about it depending on a couple factors, but you might be right  I was just using the previous posters 15 and 45 numbers (BTW now I see I actually misunderstood his post), but what about when that spread is 100 basis points right?  15 or whatever on an index fund and 120 points on an actively managed.  The numbers do get yuge over time even if you can deduct part of that fee.

Sounds like you get it, probably more than I do.  I think a lot of people never even consider the fees though, at least that's what I've experienced at work when I talk to younger employees and coworkers about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't know what percentage itemize vs don't, but I'd say it's probably more people than you think. Most people with a CPA preparing their return probably are.

That's not really the point I was making though, all I was trying to say and not doing a good job of it is A) I 100% agree in principle. Understanding WACC/IRR/RRR etc and using them are fundamental to making sound financial decisions. Costs stack up, and interest be like it is and it do. B) on the other hand forward projections are inherently limited / theoretical, when you start getting into making 30 year decisions using single digit basis points, you're well inside the margin for error and overvaluing their utility.

The tax deductibility was an illustrative point, that the totality of circumstances need to be considered.

Again though, to your point, I've seen some heinous fees numbers on brokerage statements on retirement age folks with largish portfolios back when I was still assisting with returns. And from what I remember they varied wildly by broker on similar portfolio setups.

I'm really liking what I've seen on the fee numbers vs returns on the computer directed portfolios. That and I trust the quants that designed the software vs random jackoff in regional bank wealth management office.

ETA: forgot to add. When you get into 100+ basis points, then yeah you've got my attention and efforts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@midcap
It's always bugged the shit out of me that Dave Ramsey claims that it's very easy to find mutual funds that average a 12% annual return or better over time, but he NEVER mentions specifically the funds he's talking about. Are these returns common in mutual funds that require huge minimum investments? Or is he full of shit?
View Quote
I know he is buying active management funds, not index funds.  When you account for the fund fees, I would be surprised if he is faring much better than passive funds, if at all, over the long-term.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Regarding the whole managed fund fees and beating the indexes and the like.

I have a friend who has developed and run an investment club site for a "long time" (Internet perspective).  But he has quite a lot of data and has been able to study the results of different approaches.

His own money is pretty much all in Berkshire Hathaway.
View Quote
Well he's not wrong, bit pricey though

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Im certainly not an expert on that stuff. But here is a Vanguard paper describing what they do, for those that care to educate themselves.
https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGSL.pdf
As for hedge funds, I did research them years ago and decided I wouldn't touch them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Time to move some money.
View Quote
This, I may move my Vanguard IRA over and employers 401k when I am separated at the end of the month. Perfect timing it seems.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know he is buying active management funds, not index funds.  When you account for the fund fees, I would be surprised if he is faring much better than passive funds, if at all, over the long-term.
View Quote
Are you actually that much better off investing in actively managed funds, especially when accounting for the huge fees? I think that's the big question.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Are you actually that much better off investing in actively managed funds, especially when accounting for the huge fees? I think that's the big question.
View Quote
It is possible, but not probable over the long-term.  That is why passive index funds are so popular.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Easy to say no-fee when the ticket charges are $18.95 or so.

They ain't doin' it for free.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dollar cost averaging IS timing the market.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you dollar cost average so you're buying shares at a low price to offset shares purchased before the downturn.

Timing the market is hard to do. Very few people can consistently time the market. I started my investing career in 2004 all throughout the run, burst, crash, and recovery. I kept putting money in every month. I wish was sitting on a bunch of extra cash to buy into the 2008 crash but only hindsight lets me say that.
Dollar cost averaging IS timing the market.

I'm confused here, it was my understanding DCA is a way to ameliorate market swings over the long term for investors by continuously increasing your position by a fixed dollar amount.

Timing the market, in my understanding involves both buying & selling (or shorting) through high level market analysis. As in, you've predicted the 08 crash and deliberately played it by selling/shorting at peak and buying back in the trough.

What's your interpretation?

I only know enough to know I don't know half of what I should So I'm always looking to learn.

#IHeartMidCapthreads
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top