BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 38
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no 35% bracket. You're either the top 20% or the 80% below average. It's not about reality it's about perception, and they get to decide as the keepers of reproduction, not us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it a lower sex drive, or is it a sex drive that is really only geared to desire the top 20% of men?  Aren't there a lot of stories out there about the frigid women who go years without sex, get divorced, and then act like they're 18 again?
A valid question but I don't know the answer.

It raises other, ugly questions as well.  If a woman acts sexually aggressive with a top 20% man but not with her previous husband who may have been around the top 35% bracket, is it really a manifestation of sincere 'sexual desire' or is it merely a baited hook presented to catch an extraordinarily successful man?  How different is that than a particular man who only wants a woman because she's physically hot and so he pretends to care about her emotionally in order to get her pants off?
There is no 35% bracket. You're either the top 20% or the 80% below average. It's not about reality it's about perception, and they get to decide as the keepers of reproduction, not us.
Lol @ the “top 20%”, incel nonsense...
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

First, the 'incel' label carries no weight with me.  I'm celibate right now by voluntary choice. 

Second, the % examples were for context.  The context being that people make different amounts of money and/or occupy different rungs of the corporate ladder.  Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, socioeconomic status matters in the dating world.  It may matter more for some women than others, but it is a common factor for a lot of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First, the 'incel' label carries no weight with me.  I'm celibate right now by voluntary choice. 

Second, the % examples were for context.  The context being that people make different amounts of money and/or occupy different rungs of the corporate ladder.  Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, socioeconomic status matters in the dating world.  It may matter more for some women than others, but it is a common factor for a lot of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you say has some truth, but the “top 20% get 80%” trope is utter hogwash.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What you say has some truth, but the “top 20% get 80%” trope is utter hogwash.
View Quote

I do agree that it oversimplifies and overgeneralizes real life dynamics.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI, the 80% thing came from a study of O.K. Cupid users.  The article generated so much flak it was deleted, rather than investigated further.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FYI, the 80% thing came from a study of O.K. Cupid users.  The article generated so much flak it was deleted, rather than investigated further.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61337/male-messaging-curve-640428.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61337/female-messaging-curve-640429.JPG
View Quote
And further investigation would have been good. The study was limited in scope and only really focused on one thing, yet has been used to draw all sorts of conclusions that are at best tangentially related and can hardly be reliably drawn from the data provided.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like common sense that everyone wants to get the best piece of ass they can.

So a majority of people (of both sexes) chase a smaller minority of Tier 1 ass.

If you want peer reviewed blind taste tests, you'll find none. Plenty of evidence, anecdotal and otherwise to support this.

Sucks to be in the majority.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
6'5" but it hasn't helped me much in life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've said he before than it you are over 6 feet tall then your entire Bio should be something to the effect of; "I'm 6-2"

No well thought out heartfelt about me paragraph will be as effective as that simple statement of height.
6'5" but it hasn't helped me much in life.
Its not a given, thats for sure.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Girls can hide a lot of shit online, so much that you are regretting even going as far as making a date

You do better seeing her away from the phony fotos

Network, make friends and you avoid rolling 7s
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread...

Incels, come on guys.

Don’t act weird.

Take care of yourself and practice good hygiene.

Practice communication skills, attend toastmasters or something.

Solicit input from friends and family.

Realistically assess your attractivenes and understand where you might fit.

Go talk to people and interact without the priority being sex.

It’s a fairly well established phenomenon that a guy can occasionally punch above their weight class just by being there and acting like a human being.

Or just blame women for being female.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s because attractiveness is a scale measured on several axis, including physical, socioeconomic dAta points.

Attractive and successful females have lots to offer potential mates, and have a wide range of opportunities. Likewise with their male counterparts.

Everyone falls somewhere in the spectrum.

But with near 50/50 gender ratios the good news is that even for you fat depressing slobs their is an equally fat and depressing female out there. You just don’t want to accept that, nor do you want to change any of the data points.

You just want to bitch about the injustices of chad.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This thread...

Incels, come on guys.

Don’t act weird.

It’s a fairly well established phenomenon that a guy can occasionally punch above their weight class just by being there and acting like a human being.

View Quote
BURN THE HERETIC!
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to lose weight hook up with a Land Whale

Fat shame the shit out of her

If you are a fat fuck, you win

She will diet and lose weight and so will you

Some of those Land Whales give tremendous head
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's probably because our sex impulses are pretty much the same our entire lives. There is a reason for this.

But, anecdotally, a large selection of female posters here get all in an uproar when you start talking biology.

View Quote
Do we now?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Generally speaking society values 20 YO women above 70 YO women. Are we going to dance around and pretend that their reproductive potential isn't a very large portion of that calculation?

A similar trend is evident in regards to men as well.  BUT men are reproductively viable well into the 50's and 60's with modern medicine etc. So it's a less hard wall than for many women.
View Quote
“Society”? “Society” doesn’t know if a woman is reproductively viable or not. The woman’s boss wants work out of her, and prefers lack of children. Her church wants churchy stuff from her, her friends want friendship and her man wants what a man wants that may or may not include children. Are fertility indicators sexy? Like boobs and lack of wrinkles? Sure. But it’s one hell of a stretch to say “society” values women for reproduction. Youth and vitality, sure, but not reproduction to such a dominating degree.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#16]
[DKProf] LOL! [/DKProf]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The choice is to fire live ammo or not, women are having children later and later, some put it off entirely.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m not as sure about that, but that’s just a personal opinion.

No disagreeing that appearance does factor in heavily, but not to the point where a large number of men get the idea that as long as they’re handsome, education, skills, talents, hobbies, and personality are just secondary attributes that don’t really matter. Men don’t often rely on their looks to let them skate through life, which says that appearance gets much less consideration for men.

OTOH, men quite often remark that education, hobbies, skills, and talents don’t really factor in when considering a woman. Personality matters a bit, but a lot of flaws will be glossed over if she’s pretty enough, suggesting that appearance matters more than personality, even though the former is temporary and the latter matters much more in a long term situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only partially related to the discussion, but I do think that people understate the importance of appearance to women. They don't care as much about it as men do, but it's still pretty much the most important thing to them.

I get a little frustrated when talking with my female friends about this stuff, because they'll talk about all the non-physical qualities they want in a guy, but when you watch what they do, they are extremely heavily influenced by appearance. They don't like to admit it, or feel like they aren't supposed to, but it's there. They really didn't appreciate it when I told them the way they talk about guys' height is a lot like how some guys talk about bra sizes... that didn't go over well. :-D

No disagreeing that appearance does factor in heavily, but not to the point where a large number of men get the idea that as long as they’re handsome, education, skills, talents, hobbies, and personality are just secondary attributes that don’t really matter. Men don’t often rely on their looks to let them skate through life, which says that appearance gets much less consideration for men.

OTOH, men quite often remark that education, hobbies, skills, and talents don’t really factor in when considering a woman. Personality matters a bit, but a lot of flaws will be glossed over if she’s pretty enough, suggesting that appearance matters more than personality, even though the former is temporary and the latter matters much more in a long term situation.
I'll put it this way. If you're not pretty, you could like all the same shit as me and I won't want to date you. You're just another guy at this point. I'm looking for someone with a lot of the shared interests, goals, dreams, etc. that I want to FUCK and hang out with. Guys will judge based on looks first because it is similar to the height thing. If she doesn't meet my criteria of, "I could have sex with her", she is not getting much of a second chance. Now, if you get to know them through a non-dating stance first, something different might result, but more than likely, I'm not going to want to date someone I don't find at least alluring right off the bat. Its why you message the girls who are attractive and leave the ham-beasts to other guys. I'm not a model or anything, I am just able to be more selective in my pursuits given my career, assets, and "I'm not ugly" appearance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I saw lots of profiles that indicated there was a hard floor for height "I'm 5-7 and LOVE to wear heels" is female for better be 6'

I do remember one woman i was texting for a couple of days, was going good, we had mutual acquaintances and similar interests. Then she asked how tall i was. I answered honesty. I did not counter with my go to follow up of "how much do you weight?"

She replied with "sorry, it matters" and that was that.

About a year later she started following me on instagram and snap, liking all my pics, your basic social media female indications of interest. I'll be polite because of our mutual acquaintances but ill never ask her out again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my experience with online dating.  As an official manlet, at 5'8", I lost count of how many times I was told I was too short to date, or "I'm only interested in guys 5'11" or taller".  The thing that kills me, is all the women who thought that was ok, but if a guy said he only dated skinny women, he was some kind of giant asshole who deserved to be drawn and quartered.
I saw lots of profiles that indicated there was a hard floor for height "I'm 5-7 and LOVE to wear heels" is female for better be 6'

I do remember one woman i was texting for a couple of days, was going good, we had mutual acquaintances and similar interests. Then she asked how tall i was. I answered honesty. I did not counter with my go to follow up of "how much do you weight?"

About a year later she started following me on instagram and snap, liking all my pics, your basic social media female indications of interest. I'll be polite because of our mutual acquaintances but ill never ask her out again.
Sometimes you need to be savage. If a woman told me that, and I was being conceding and that was a bridge I wasn't afraid to burn, I'd say, "Its OK, I was giving you a shot, but fitness/prettiness/personality etc matter to me, too. I was hoping I could overlook XYZ." My ex is following me on instagram, liking all the photos AND EVEN COMMENTING, but I ignore it. I am not following her profile. It is very strange indeed. Not sure what to make of it, really.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sometimes you need to be savage. If a woman told me that, and I was being conceding and that was a bridge I wasn't afraid to burn, I'd say, "Its OK, I was giving you a shot, but fitness/prettiness/personality etc matter to me, too. I was hoping I could overlook XYZ." My ex is following me on instagram, liking all the photos AND EVEN COMMENTING, but I ignore it. I am not following her profile. It is very strange indeed. Not sure what to make of it, really.
View Quote
If you want to throw XYZ quality of theirs in their faces then just open by qualifying them that way.

Otherwise it comes across as trying to one up her rejection and it makes you look like an angry short guy. Next her ass and keep it movin.

As for your ex, she's testing the waters to see if you'll bite back or trying to muddy things with a potential current girl. Or both. Keep ignoring her.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my experience with online dating.  As an official manlet, at 5'8", I lost count of how many times I was told I was too short to date, or "I'm only interested in guys 5'11" or taller".  The thing that kills me, is all the women who thought that was ok, but if a guy said he only dated skinny women, he was some kind of giant asshole who deserved to be drawn and quartered.

She thinks you are a revolving door
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll put it this way. If you're not pretty, you could like all the same shit as me and I won't want to date you. You're just another guy at this point. I'm looking for someone with a lot of the shared interests, goals, dreams, etc. that I want to FUCK and hang out with. Guys will judge based on looks first because it is similar to the height thing. If she doesn't meet my criteria of, "I could have sex with her", she is not getting much of a second chance. Now, if you get to know them through a non-dating stance first, something different might result, but more than likely, I'm not going to want to date someone I don't find at least alluring right off the bat. Its why you message the girls who are attractive and leave the ham-beasts to other guys. I'm not a model or anything, I am just able to be more selective in my pursuits given my career, assets, and "I'm not ugly" appearance.
View Quote

Men are looking to marry a lover.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
It seems to me that Naamah is talking about selecting a partner based only on looks, and you’re talking about making sure the partner has at least acceptable looks and then selecting her based on other stuff. That’s a completely different thing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It seems to me that Naamah is talking about selecting a partner based only on looks, and you’re talking about making sure the partner has at least acceptable looks and then selecting her based on other stuff. That’s a completely different thing.
View Quote
Naamah is talking about the extremes.  It's an unproductive approach similar to a man requiring you somehow explain or justify women who only use men for access to money.

sizzlin_bacon is presenting a more realistic, productive context representing the larger group on the margin instead of the extremes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread...

Incels, come on guys.

Don’t act weird.

View Quote
Common sense! OH NOES< RUN GD< RUN LIKE THE WIND!

On a side note, a lot of my recent red pill reading is focused on self improvement.

http://archive.puerarchy.com/Red%20Pill%20Theory/1400838002_26a8r8.html
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]
She was or is being used as a clown car.

Quality goes even further down.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Naamah is talking about the extremes.  It's an unproductive approach similar to a man requiring you somehow explain or justify women who only use men for access to money.

sizzlin_bacon is presenting a more realistic, productive context representing the larger group on the margin instead of the extremes.
View Quote
Except...i’m not talking about extremes. I’m talking about studies that show men don’t particularly care about career choices or education level, as have been mentioned here on Arf before. I’m talking about men who can’t name a single hobby their wife has, or lament the fact that she doesn’t have any. I’m talking about guys that regularly talk about how hot their woman is and then turn around and fuss about atrocious behavior, or excuse a woman’s atrocious behavior because she’s pretty.

Just observations made over time watching threads and members here, as well as seeing the behavior of guys around me IRL. Appearance before all else is a regular theme, and it’s not in any way limited to extremes. I understand that a level of physical attraction is important in a relationship. It’s just foolish to place it above all else, i. e. picking the hottest one of the pack regardless of all the other details. Maybe the one who’s a little more drab would be a better match, but the guy dismissed her because the hotter one who had little else going for her glances his way. They become “alpha widowers” of a sort, picking hot train wrecks over plainer, more stable women with staying power.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To a point.

Many men - here and elsewhere - will plainly state that they will overlook X Y and Z just because a woman is hot. That's very different than just having a minimum attractiveness requirement. The former is actually prioritizing looks, despite other faults. The latter viewpoint, meanwhile, isn't afraid to admit that looks certainly matter, but asserts there is simply a minimum requirement in that department, and the other qualities matter more once the initial barrier is met.

And of course, attractiveness is extremely subjective, and can be influenced by factors other than just pure looks (such as mannerism, voice, etc.).

ETA - Just as Naamah herself elaborates on above.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

On a side note, a lot of my recent red pill reading is focused on self improvement.

View Quote
Self improvement should always be #1.

Too many guys think that getting girls will make them a better person. Not so.

But if you're the best person you can be, you get more of everything good in life.

The trouble is, being the best you is harder than getting girls.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But if you're the best person you can be, you get more of everything good in life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Relying on others for happiness will also lead to nothing but misery.

Goes for both genders. The mask wears away after awhile.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The truth is somewhere in the middle.

If the man isn't feeling chemistry towards a woman, he's not very likely to develop a serious relationship with her.  Now, a wise man will want to find a woman who has good character, is responsible, is smart, talented, etc... but if he finds a woman with those traits and he doesn't feel physical chemistry towards her then the probability that he will seek a long term relationship with her is low.

In summary, chemistry matters a lot.  It isn't everything.  It isn't necessarily the most important trait over the long run, but it ranks pretty high as an essential thing for inspiring a man to commit to a long term relationship at all.

Yes, it is a priority.  That doesn't make it wrong.  Without it, exceedingly few men would commit to long term relationships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some, no doubt.

For many others, they seem to be afterthoughts if considered at all. Men who ignore blatantly obvious personality flaws, men who know nothing of their woman’s hobbies or interests, and of course study after study that show education/career accomplishments aren’t given positive weight in selection.

Anecdotal, but i’ve observed that often men differ very little in the way they seek out short term partners and long term partners. It seems more a case of they decide it’s time to settle down and do so with whoever they happen to be currently dating. And if they’ve always prioritized looks over everything else, they just keep on with that prioritization.
The truth is somewhere in the middle.

If the man isn't feeling chemistry towards a woman, he's not very likely to develop a serious relationship with her.  Now, a wise man will want to find a woman who has good character, is responsible, is smart, talented, etc... but if he finds a woman with those traits and he doesn't feel physical chemistry towards her then the probability that he will seek a long term relationship with her is low.

In summary, chemistry matters a lot.  It isn't everything.  It isn't necessarily the most important trait over the long run, but it ranks pretty high as an essential thing for inspiring a man to commit to a long term relationship at all.

Yes, it is a priority.  That doesn't make it wrong.  Without it, exceedingly few men would commit to long term relationships.
This is very true, and I will continue to use my anecdotal experience from past relationships.

My most recent girlfriend was 5'4", 130# and successful in her career, we shared similar economic standings, and she had a very pretty face, nice ass, but small boobs (I'm a boob guy but finding ones to replace the ex before her is near impossible-34DDs). At first everything was great, but then little things popped up and they became bigger things, and eventually I was concerned if I was going to have sickly children, or ones with weakened bodies. I didn't want that risk, nor did I like how liberal she had been becoming, but kept hoping the relationship would right itself as I had put more effort back into it after a while. Needless to say, I never felt the chemistry between us again, and we broke up shortly after the 1 year mark.

Without chemistry, you're not going to have the glue that draws and binds the two together. They could check off many of the boxes on your list, but if they don't make your dick tingle, none of the other boxes matter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m short,  ugly and fat. When she was single, my wife dated gym rats and tall dudes. I had impressive skills on a motorcycle, made good money, had bought my first house by 21. I think she realized fast that her “list” did not necessarily make you a winner.

Or maybe it was my penis
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So fuck trophies are the measure of usefulness?
View Quote
It's been said many times. Mens primary interest in women is sexual.
The other shared interests they may have is Icing on the cake for longer term relationships that help cement the interest in keeping the relationship an ongoing thing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Relying on others for happiness will also lead to nothing but misery.

Goes for both genders. The mask wears away after awhile.
View Quote
Also true if your single or married.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only partially related to the discussion, but I do think that people understate the importance of appearance to women. They don't care as much about it as men do, but it's still pretty much the most important thing to them.

I get a little frustrated when talking with my female friends about this stuff, because they'll talk about all the non-physical qualities they want in a guy, but when you watch what they do, they are extremely heavily influenced by appearance. They don't like to admit it, or feel like they aren't supposed to, but it's there. They really didn't appreciate it when I told them the way they talk about guys' height is a lot like how some guys talk about bra sizes... that didn't go over well. :-D

Yep
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Except...i’m not talking about extremes. I’m talking about studies that show men don’t particularly care about career choices or education level, as have been mentioned here on Arf before. I’m talking about men who can’t name a single hobby their wife has, or lament the fact that she doesn’t have any. I’m talking about guys that regularly talk about how hot their woman is and then turn around and fuss about atrocious behavior, or excuse a woman’s atrocious behavior because she’s pretty.

Just observations made over time watching threads and members here, as well as seeing the behavior of guys around me IRL. Appearance before all else is a regular theme, and it’s not in any way limited to extremes. I understand that a level of physical attraction is important in a relationship. It’s just foolish to place it above all else, i. e. picking the hottest one of the pack regardless of all the other details. Maybe the one who’s a little more drab would be a better match, but the guy dismissed her because the hotter one who had little else going for her glances his way. They become “alpha widowers” of a sort, picking hot train wrecks over plainer, more stable women with staying power.
View Quote

Just this last Monday I had a woman who was socializing with me drag up the fact that I have child support and alimony obligations.  It was our first time meeting and I had never even mentioned those topics.

I was introduced to another woman via phone call and inside of 6 minutes of meeting me she had already rapid fire grilled me about my employment (estimate my salary potential) how long I had been married (estimate duration of alimony), how many children I have and interrupted me to demand the age of the youngest (calculate duration of child support).  In fact, those questions were all asked within a two minute span.  When I say 'rapid fire' I'm not exaggerating.

These weren't extreme examples.  I've found them to be quite common occurrences, actually.

Now, if I were to make assumptions in a similar manner as you've just expressed, I would be judging women in general as being shallow gold diggers who only value men as biological ATM machines.  I would hurl that at you as an accusation and demand that you accept such judgment as a given.  I could site studies to back it up.

-or-

I could take a sensible approach to reconciling what I personally witnessed, have learned from studies, and have been told by women themselves.

At a core, instinctual level women generally seek a spouse that will be a responsible provider and protector (per those studies that you mentioned).  If a woman doesn't think a man will be responsible as a provider, she probably isn't going to be terribly interested in him as a potential spouse or as a potential father to her children.  OK, I get that.

Now, the mature part of me is going to assume that women aren't all shallow, binary-decision-making creatures who ONLY value men for their ability to provide cash or status.  Chances are that once that basic core requirement is met, all but the most shallow women will want to spend some time courting the man to see if he has other valued traits as part of a vetting process.  Oh, on occasion I will encounter or hear of truly shallow, manipulative, money-grubbing, or self-pimping women.  I just have to remind myself that some people really are shallow and they don't represent all women.

A sensible woman will likewise understand how this relates to men and their core instinctual process for vetting women as potential spouses.  Is there chemistry?  Do I find her hot?  If not, the man will probably move on.  If the answer is 'yes', then chances are that once that core requirement is met, all but the most shallow men will want to spend some time courting the woman to see if she has other valued traits as well as part of a vetting process....
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Shane, I think you’re thinking i’m buying into the ‘All Men Are Like That’ attitude, and I assure you i’m not. I know they aren’t. It’s just a common attitude, and one to be wary of, and wary of falling into. I’m not saying anyone should fall on his sword and take up with someone he finds utterly unattractive. I’m simply saying that the “hotter is better regardless of anything else” attitude is common, is used to excuse or overlook a lot of problems, and can leave one with a pretty lousy individual.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Shane, I think you’re thinking i’m buying into the ‘All Men Are Like That’ attitude, and I assure you i’m not. I know they aren’t. It’s just a common attitude, and one to be wary of, and wary of falling into. I’m not saying anyone should fall on his sword and take up with someone he finds utterly unattractive. I’m simply saying that the “hotter is better regardless of anything else” attitude is common, is used to excuse or overlook a lot of problems, and can leave one with a pretty lousy individual.
View Quote
Ceteris paribus of other attributes, a man will probably show interest in a prettier woman first.  Same as a woman showing interest in a taller, more wealthy man first, all else being equal.

Also, overlooking other important traits bites both shallow men and shallow women in the butt.  Shallow is as shallow does. [shrugs]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ceteris paribus of other attributes, a man will probably show interest in a prettier woman first.  Same as a woman showing interest in a taller, more wealthy man first, all else being equal.

Also, overlooking other important traits bites both shallow men and shallow women in the butt.  Shallow is as shallow does. [shrugs]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See? Ultimately, we agree.

Apropos of nothing else, how’s your dog?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Why is everyone trying to pare the entire emotional and socioeconomic wants and desires of each 3.5 trillion strong gender down to a couple of descriptive sentences on a gun forum?

In all things biology, there is a bell curve. Sometimes the curve isn’t easy to see or understand (likely because you haven’t entered the correct data or don’t understand the connections) but they are there.

There are outliers on both ends, and progressively units more the closer you get to the median. I could go into standard deviation and normal distributions, etc... but it boils down to this:

People are different. This transcends all of the arbitrary classifications and delineators we use to try to separate them.

The only person you can control is yourself. So do that, and try to find someone that fits what you are looking for. Hint:realistic expectations are important.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

See? Ultimately, we agree.

Apropos of nothing else, how’s your dog?
View Quote
Very old and beginning to lose weight, but still fairly active and happy.  He was a little heavy to begin with.  He must be 12-13 years old now.

I barely ever see Tucker anymore.  Technically he belongs to my ex's family and she kept him in the divorce.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"Society"? "Society" doesn't know if a woman is reproductively viable or not. The woman's boss wants work out of her, and prefers lack of children. Her church wants churchy stuff from her, her friends want friendship and her man wants what a man wants that may or may not include children. Are fertility indicators sexy? Like boobs and lack of wrinkles? Sure. But it's one hell of a stretch to say "society" values women for reproduction. Youth and vitality, sure, but not reproduction to such a dominating degree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Generally speaking society values 20 YO women above 70 YO women. Are we going to dance around and pretend that their reproductive potential isn't a very large portion of that calculation?

A similar trend is evident in regards to men as well.  BUT men are reproductively viable well into the 50's and 60's with modern medicine etc. So it's a less hard wall than for many women.
"Society"? "Society" doesn't know if a woman is reproductively viable or not. The woman's boss wants work out of her, and prefers lack of children. Her church wants churchy stuff from her, her friends want friendship and her man wants what a man wants that may or may not include children. Are fertility indicators sexy? Like boobs and lack of wrinkles? Sure. But it's one hell of a stretch to say "society" values women for reproduction. Youth and vitality, sure, but not reproduction to such a dominating degree.
What does society mean? Why does anyone care about a woman's vigor beyond what it brings to society? Does anyone care about a mans vigor? If you're trying to separate sexuality and child bearing then you can mince words. But often times the two remain intertwined even though their interchangeability has weakened over time. Why has incest always been taboo? Is it still? Should it be re-evaluated in the context of sexuality =|= reproduction?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ceteris paribus of other attributes, a man will probably show interest in a prettier woman first.  Same as a woman showing interest in a taller, more wealthy man first, all else being equal.

Also, overlooking other important traits bites both shallow men and shallow women in the butt.  Shallow is as shallow does. [shrugs]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shane, I think you're thinking i'm buying into the 'All Men Are Like That' attitude, and I assure you i'm not. I know they aren't. It's just a common attitude, and one to be wary of, and wary of falling into. I'm not saying anyone should fall on his sword and take up with someone he finds utterly unattractive. I'm simply saying that the "hotter is better regardless of anything else" attitude is common, is used to excuse or overlook a lot of problems, and can leave one with a pretty lousy individual.
Ceteris paribus of other attributes, a man will probably show interest in a prettier woman first.  Same as a woman showing interest in a taller, more wealthy man first, all else being equal.

Also, overlooking other important traits bites both shallow men and shallow women in the butt.  Shallow is as shallow does. [shrugs]
The most common icebreaker I've ever experienced on a first date is so what do you do? Is it sinister or just a safe first bet with which to establish rapport? I guess everyone will have to decide for themselves.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t prescribe to any “red pill” extremism. I had friends in college that did, and they turned in to massive assholes, angry at the world and women and anyone more successful than themselves. Not all are like that, but it’s my experience that if once you get to that point it takes a lot of effort to normalize. Just like any other radical ideology.

Here’s the thing: self improvement goes hand in hand with self worth. Inflated and deflated senses of self worth will cause problems. That’s why it’s important to get honest feedback from family and friends. It seems like emotional intelligence is something to be ridiculed on this site, but so many issues like this could be rectified if people understood the why behind their actions and reactions.

Above all, take care of yourself, both emotionally and physically. It’s only then that you can expect to find and develop real, successful relationships with the opposite sex and that aren’t reliant on one partner being a crutch for the other, or a salve for previous or current wounds.

There are a lot of jaded men AND women on this site (it is the internet afterall). Lots of bruised egos, broken hearts, and vindictive assholes.

All lack real emotional intelligence. Or they’ve chosen to ignore it and have purposely allowed themselves to devolve into thisprimal ooze of hate and loathing that’s been vommited into this thread.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#47]
If she can deliver everything she demands, then her list is not unreasonable.  One way relationships don't work.  I suspect that is why she is a divorced mom looking for a man with impossible standards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just this last Monday I had a woman who was socializing with me drag up the fact that I have child support and alimony obligations.  It was our first time meeting and I had never even mentioned those topics.

I was introduced to another woman via phone call and inside of 6 minutes of meeting me she had already rapid fire grilled me about my employment (estimate my salary potential) how long I had been married (estimate duration of alimony), how many children I have and interrupted me to demand the age of the youngest (calculate duration of child support).  In fact, those questions were all asked within a two minute span.  When I say 'rapid fire' I'm not exaggerating.

These weren't extreme examples.  I've found them to be quite common occurrences, actually.

Now, if I were to make assumptions in a similar manner as you've just expressed, I would be judging women in general as being shallow gold diggers who only value men as biological ATM machines.  I would hurl that at you as an accusation and demand that you accept such judgment as a given.  I could site studies to back it up.

-or-

I could take a sensible approach to reconciling what I personally witnessed, have learned from studies, and have been told by women themselves.

At a core, instinctual level women generally seek a spouse that will be a responsible provider and protector (per those studies that you mentioned).  If a woman doesn't think a man will be responsible as a provider, she probably isn't going to be terribly interested in him as a potential spouse or as a potential father to her children.  OK, I get that.

Now, the mature part of me is going to assume that women aren't all shallow, binary-decision-making creatures who ONLY value men for their ability to provide cash or status.  Chances are that once that basic core requirement is met, all but the most shallow women will want to spend some time courting the man to see if he has other valued traits as part of a vetting process.  Oh, on occasion I will encounter or hear of truly shallow, manipulative, money-grubbing, or self-pimping women.  I just have to remind myself that some people really are shallow and they don't represent all women.

A sensible woman will likewise understand how this relates to men and their core instinctual process for vetting women as potential spouses.  Is there chemistry?  Do I find her hot?  If not, the man will probably move on.  If the answer is 'yes', then chances are that once that core requirement is met, all but the most shallow men will want to spend some time courting the woman to see if she has other valued traits as well as part of a vetting process....
View Quote
"ATM machine" is redundant.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When I was coaching college cheerleading, I was driving some of the girls on my team to some kind of event or something.

One girl, Heather, was talking about what she wanted in a husband.  I had many good looking girls on the team that had nice figures.

Heather was not one of them.

At one point, she says "I'm not marrying a guy unless he's at least 6 feet tall, has an 8 inch dick, and makes at least 100 grand a year."

I turned around, looked her up and down, and said "That's a tall order."

She shut up and didn't say a word for the rest of the drive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I regularly see women indicate expectations regarding a man's height on a local dating app.  Not all of the women, but it isn't uncommon to see a profile that overtly does.

"Ariely found that a 5'4" man would need to make $229,000 more than a 6' man to have equal appeal; a 5'6" man would need $183,000 more; a 5'10" man would need $32,000 more." Lori Gottlieb (2010). Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough.
When I was coaching college cheerleading, I was driving some of the girls on my team to some kind of event or something.

One girl, Heather, was talking about what she wanted in a husband.  I had many good looking girls on the team that had nice figures.

At one point, she says "I'm not marrying a guy unless he's at least 6 feet tall, has an 8 inch dick, and makes at least 100 grand a year."

I turned around, looked her up and down, and said "That's a tall order."

She shut up and didn't say a word for the rest of the drive.
Wonder how many people told her to never settle.. reach for what you want...

Not, look in the mirror before deciding on what you want.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
She can find 2 out of 3 pretty easy. Going three for three is unlikely.
Page / 38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top