Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It's up!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was built as a prototype crew Dragon including windows and the same floor rails for cargo or seats.  Actual reentry scars smudged my gloves.
View Quote
Do you work with the space pirate?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The slidewire baskets for the shuttle pad escape systems seem like an E ticket ride as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMWdtQYkbc
View Quote
They should have had people in them
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Drilling rigs all have what are referred to as 'Geronimo Lines' for the derrick hand to get out of the derrick in the event of a blow out. When I was a kid, riding it down was a right-of-passage for new rig hands...now you'd probably get run off for riding one if it wasn't a true emergency.

They're an iffy proposition...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWF6n5BbZaE
View Quote
Chinese?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
spacex should do boarding groups.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a long arm right there! It's almost space ship looking by itself.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks to all who are keeping this thread posted and updated.  Very good stuff.

Incorrect:

Every U.S. astronaut since the crew of Gemini 4 has worn the flag on the left shoulder of his or her space suit, with the exception of the crew of Apollo 1, whose flags were worn on the right shoulder. In this case, the canton was on the left.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/5424CA6C-E586-47F8-90B7-D3C0FB0CA2AC-646124.JPG

Cut and paste of a cut and paste (can't currently access the .mil site for some reason):

The FAQ on the Army Institute of Heraldry website says the following about this issue:
View Quote
Cool info...Thanks!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
more pictures of the crew access arm attached to the tower.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/08/20/spacexs-astronaut-walkway-installed-on-florida-launch-pad/

more at link but here's 2.

Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The arm looks too fancy on the side of the tower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
This.

Doesn't exactly match the "1960's strictly utilitarian" ethos of the rest of the pad.

[Still looks cool, though ]
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

Doesn't exactly match the "1960's strictly utilitarian" ethos of the rest of the pad.

[Still looks cool, though ]
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome.

Here's hoping Demo-1 can happen in 2018.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Commercial Crew: The Flight Tests
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Everyday Astronaut does tour of Dragon 2, simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cqJLUB2e2w&
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Commercial Crew: Astronaut Flight Prep
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#19]
BREMEN, Germany  NASA has released new target dates for test flights of commercial crew capsules in development by SpaceX and Boeing, with unpiloted demo missions by SpaceX's Crew Dragon and Boeing's CST-100 Starliner spaceships now scheduled for January and March, followed by crewed orbital missions in mid-2019.

The new schedule for the commercial crew test flights was released Thursday by NASA, which promised more timely updates as the Crew Dragon and CST-100 Starliner near their first space missions.

In early August, when NASA last announced schedule targets for the commercial crew test flights, SpaceX's Crew Dragon was expected to launch as early as November on a test flight to the International Space Station without any crew members on-board. At the same time, Boeing's CST-100 Starliner was to launch on a similar demo mission in January.

more in the link

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/10/06/no-commercial-crew-test-flights-expected-this-year/
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like Space X is ready and not delayed by them not being ready
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Soyuz failure and current concerns with SpaceX and Boeing screwed systems

"ASAP member Don McErlean outlined several issues that SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft needs to overcome, including a lack of a final resolution on the root cause of the failure of a composite overwrapped pressure vessel (COPV) that led to the pad explosion of a Falcon 9 more than two years ago. That is linked, he added, to the use of “load-and-go” fueling of the rocket that would take place, on commercial crew missions, after astronauts have boarded the spacecraft.

“Ultimately, there has to be the acceptance and certification of a configuration which is judged by both parties to be free of the demonstrated characteristics that caused the failure in question,” he said. “This remains an open technical item that the panel believes has to be firmly resolved before we can certainly proceed to crewed launches.”

Much more in the article.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The slidewire baskets for the shuttle pad escape systems seem like an E ticket ride as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do they have an ascent abort test scheduled yet?
There is video of something that may have been a pad abort.  If you mean an actual abort during a launch I have no idea.   Did any of the earlier (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo) systems perform an abort at some point during an actual launch?

Here is that video
Acceleration seems...sporty.  I wonder what kind of G's the passengers would feel.  Still better than blowing up, of course.

There's video out there of Apollo and Mercury abort tests - for some reason I can't find a Gemini one...

I think the Soviets had a launch abort with Soyuz in the 80's...during fueling I believe.

I think if there were ever a need for those by the time the Astronauts got to them to use them the need would no longer be there.

Rocket stuff going badly goes badly real damn quickly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I salute our next generation of midget astronauts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think if there were ever a need for those by the time the Astronauts got to them to use them the need would no longer be there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do they have an ascent abort test scheduled yet?
There is video of something that may have been a pad abort.  If you mean an actual abort during a launch I have no idea.   Did any of the earlier (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo) systems perform an abort at some point during an actual launch?

Here is that video
Acceleration seems...sporty.  I wonder what kind of G's the passengers would feel.  Still better than blowing up, of course.

There's video out there of Apollo and Mercury abort tests - for some reason I can't find a Gemini one...

I think the Soviets had a launch abort with Soyuz in the 80's...during fueling I believe.

I'm guessing they are there mainly as a security blanket.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm guessing they are there mainly as a security blanket.
View Quote
I think it's incremental risk mitigation there is some stuff you really can't defend against so you cover all your other bases and say this one thing is the only thing you can't do anything about.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#28]
It is amazing that it takes all this effort to basically recreate what we did in the 60's.  We have fallen so far

Sure it has new shiny paint and fancy electronics. But it's still a freaking capsule strapped to the tip of a ballistic missile. I mean, we used to have a freaking space plane.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It is amazing that it takes all this effort to basically recreate what we did in the 60's.  We have fallen so far

Sure it has new shiny paint and fancy electronics. But it's still a freaking capsule strapped to the tip of a ballistic missile. I mean, we used to have a freaking space plane.
View Quote
The shuttle was pretty fucking far from a space plane.

That’s why it was a colossally shitty idea, we spent the build cost rebuilding them between missions. At that rate a 737 flight on southwest would be $400,000 and only fly once a month.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:03:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That’s why it was a colossally shitty idea, we spent the build cost rebuilding them between missions. At that rate a 737 flight on southwest would be $400,000 and only fly once a month.
View Quote
What you say is true. But for a first ever working concept.. it was pretty damn successful. First iPhone sucked compared to what we have now, first missile sucked, first airplane sucked.. you get the idea. I am sure if we developed the idea from the shitload of money/research/lessons we learned from the shuttle program, we could build something truly amazing. Now that we are rewinding back to the 60's, all that knowledge and experience is trashed and memory holed. But I am not a rocket scientist so I have no idea if that whole concept was fubared or we are just lazy and wen't with the easiest thing possible.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:57:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What you say is true. But for a first ever working concept.. it was pretty damn successful. First iPhone sucked compared to what we have now, first missile sucked, first airplane sucked.. you get the idea. I am sure if we developed the idea from the shitload of money/research/lessons we learned from the shuttle program, we could build something truly amazing. Now that we are rewinding back to the 60's, all that knowledge and experience is trashed and memory holed. But I am not a rocket scientist so I have no idea if that whole concept was fubared or we are just lazy and wen't with the easiest thing possible.
View Quote
This is what the shuttle should have been.

NASA's Big Mistake - The X-33 VentureStar Replacement Shuttle

The shuttle was a design by committee failure.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeNytM7JdYY

View Quote
Good video. I learned something. The related video on aero spike engines was good too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeNytM7JdYY

View Quote
Eh... What the shuttle should have been is pretty much turning into the BFR.

SSTO isn't that great in Earth's gravity well, with reusable boosters and a reusable upper stage, you can do far more work with the same amount of equipment/fuel. X-33 is a cool engineering exercise that should have flown though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrP17gVWkAIuOSz.jpg
View Quote
Interesting.  I recall US Navy ships for pre-Shuttle ocean recoveries.   Is that over?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I recall US Navy ships for pre-Shuttle ocean recoveries.   Is that over?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SLS will be using US Navy ships for recovery, so no, not really over. Don't know about Boeing or Space X
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm guessing that bar across the back is for hoisting the capsule from the water and onto the deck.
Cool photos Chokey and Pavelow16478, thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not so much that the knowledge from 60's is trashed or memory holed, specifically. The engineers didn't document nearly enough of the iterative changes they made(to make it work) on the fly while putting everything together.

We don't have the notes scribbled on the margins, recordings of conversations over a beer, etc.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"ASAP member Don McErlean outlined several issues that SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft needs to overcome, including a lack of a final resolution on the root cause of the failure of a composite overwrapped pressure vessel (COPV) that led to the pad explosion of a Falcon 9 more than two years ago. That is linked, he added, to the use of “load-and-go” fueling of the rocket that would take place, on commercial crew missions, after astronauts have boarded the spacecraft.

“Ultimately, there has to be the acceptance and certification of a configuration which is judged by both parties to be free of the demonstrated characteristics that caused the failure in question,” he said. “This remains an open technical item that the panel believes has to be firmly resolved before we can certainly proceed to crewed launches.”

View Quote
Wouldn't the Dragon 2 be capable of escaping from a failure like that?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that is SpaceX's contention.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure I'd call it successful. It cost a HUGE amount of money, didn't really accomplish anything and stood a 1:67.5 chance of being blown up per mission. A 1 in 3  chance of being blown up if you go by vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Meanwhile NASA is still years away from flying their SLS, which is still billions from its first test flight.  Oh, and it's just a collection of parts that our nazis designed.  Sigh.
View Quote
You know how I know you don't know what your talking about... Oh... N/m you don't use facts.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
which is backed up by evidence.

We've seen a mishap on the pad.
We've seen a pad abort test.

Here's an overlay of the two.  Mute it. The music put on this video is loud and sucks...  You have been warned.

here's the videos just side be side if you don't trust the above edit.  (no need to mute this one.  But the action starts at 35 seconds)

Compare SpaceX Launch Test Anomaly VS Abort Escape System
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Here's an overlay of the two.  Mute it. The music put on this video is loud and sucks...  You have been warned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9kovJ5SyjM

here's the videos just side be side if you don't trust the above edit.  (no need to mute this one.  But the action starts at 35 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf-UOVOYRxE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9kovJ5SyjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf-UOVOYRxE
No disagreement; it's just that sometimes convincing NASA's safety people isn't as easy as convincing you and me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/162/images-522173.jpg

<== DU is that way.

The Shuttle saved the Hubble (and upgraded it many times), that alone made it worth while for science.   Not to mention the many experiments done with spacelab then construction with the ISS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
didn't really accomplish anything .
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/162/images-522173.jpg

<== DU is that way.

The Shuttle saved the Hubble (and upgraded it many times), that alone made it worth while for science.   Not to mention the many experiments done with spacelab then construction with the ISS.
Wrong.   It was not only a failure, but it played a part in stagnating our Space program for our entire lifetime.

Anything accomplished by the shuttle, could have been done by a cheaper and better design.   Pains me to say it, but aviation culture doesn’t shy away from honest critique.

Admitting it was a failed program, goes a long way to identifying the specific points of failure and building a better system.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Wait til the big boy with Raptor motors comes out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You know how I know you don't know what your talking about... Oh... N/m you don't use facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meanwhile NASA is still years away from flying their SLS, which is still billions from its first test flight.  Oh, and it's just a collection of parts that our nazis designed.  Sigh.
When is the SLS going to fly?

How much has it cost?

What are the core designs of the boosters and motors?
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top