Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Briggs engines are so shitty that you don't have to worry about them lasting beyond the oil life.

Over 40 years...I have never gotten a good Briggs engine.  All crapped out within 5 years of real hard use.  Hondas...you can't kill them.

It's my main complaint with the surface drive motor industry.  I want a Gator Tail motor badly...but FML, I'm not paying 8K for a glorified Briggs boat motor.  Even the owners throw out the "Well, after you replace this plastic bearing and the gaskets, and this shaft, and this valve, and these hoses, it is good go go"...No....no way...no how.

Somebody please build a 40HP sufrace drive on a Honda motor.  Seriously...and get rid of the belt drive.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My Dad is 70 years old and he'd kick my ass if he found out that I wasn't changing the oil in my mower.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad was a mechanic, he’s the one that told me you don’t have to change the oil in a lawnmower just top it off.

I’ve got a 10 yr old Craftsman that’s barely hanging on. When it goes I want something with a bigger deck and better pulling capablilities.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think I've ever changed the oil on a vertical crank engine.  Just top up as necessary.   The engines have all long outlasted the rest of the mowers.
View Quote
This.

I don't think we have even added oil in the 10 years we have had our mower. It came with a bottle, we poured it in and good to go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I lucked out on a 2 stroke lawn boy with the aluminum deck for aboit $60. I love it.

Just make sure you run ethanol free in small engines
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just can't  wrap my head around never changing the oil, it's so cheap and easy and lubrication so critical to the engines lifespan.
View Quote
not as much as you have been led to believe, your oil typically does not wear out, additives go away and oil gets dirty which is why filtration is more important than the oil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
@ryandushku

My buddy is an R&D engine guy at the plant in Milwaukee.... I'm sure he'll come in and give the lowdown
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Over 40 years...I have never gotten a good Briggs engine.  All crapped out within 5 years of real hard use.  Hondas...you can't kill them.
View Quote
The Honda GX engines use a pair of metal gears to drive the camshaft - which lasts a long time.

The Honda GC engines use a rubber belt to drive a plastic pulley on the camshaft - which doesn't last a long time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
My self propelled Honda Harmony is now 18 years old. Just mowed the grass with it today.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Never change is a marketing gimmick.

Get the kit that changes it back and change the oil.

The Neva change is a new filter and about 1/3 new oil.

I

It's LOL stupid from a serious longevity standpoint.

Dumb for the dumbed down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The average consumer doesn't use a push mower enough to require changing oil.  They maybe get 20 hours of use a year.   Most people will throw out a mower when the carb or gasket fails due to ethanol or age.

It's a disposable society and the marketing is pushing ease of use over longevity.

I made engines for briggs years ago.  They were  going to shit 15 years ago and started up making engine castings in china.  The engine castings were pure junk.  Not one out of 300 was in spec before machining.

I change oil because it does break down, if not from heat and run time but from moisture, oxygen,  and metal reactions.  I've never had any small engine from any manufacturer die due to oil problems in 20 plus years.

The cheap $110 briggs powered push mower I have right now gets a bit of two stroke oil in the gas and it seams to smooth out the automatic throttle and no longer pulses.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Read the owners manual. Its not just check and add. You either suck it out through check and fill hole or turn it completely over and pour it out.
View Quote
Coworker just replaced his this past week.  Most, if not all, were like that.  Crazy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The average consumer doesn't use a push mower enough to require changing oil.  They maybe get 20 hours of use a year.   Most people will throw out a mower when the carb or gasket fails due to ethanol or age.

It's a disposable society and the marketing is pushing ease of use over longevity.

I made engines for briggs years ago.  They were  going to shit 15 years ago and started up making engine castings in china.  The engine castings were pure junk.  Not one out of 300 was in spec before machining.

I change oil because it does break down, if not from heat and run time but from moisture, oxygen,  and metal reactions.  I've never had any small engine from any manufacturer die due to oil problems in 20 plus years.

The cheap $110 briggs powered push mower I have right now gets a bit of two stroke oil in the gas and it seams to smooth out the automatic throttle and no longer pulses.
View Quote
Yep.  They figure the average consumer will:

1. Kill the carb with ethanol and trash it
2. Move and leave the old, dirty mower behind
3. Become a lazy fatass and hire a lawn service

Also doesn't help that replacement parts are obnoxiously priced.  IE, an OEM carb costs more than an OEM motor, and a new OEM motor costs more than a complete new mower.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I never knew so many people didn't change oil on their mowers. No wonder there are so many on the curbs waiting for garbage trucks every week. It's just 15 minutes a year to do it.

The Hondas are highly recommended if you have the money. Self propelled systems are durable as long you don't but the cheapest of cheap.
View Quote
Kind of surprising to me too.

I don't own a lawnmower (no lawn) but I have a bunch of things with small engines (generators, pressure washer etc). They get annual oil changes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have a fuel tank ...2 quart for a Pulsa Jet carb....for my '69 3hp horizontal shaft motor ?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Had the same decision today. Bought a self propelled Honda to replace a husqvarna that didn't have a bagger and left behind too much grass clumps. Self propelled is worth the small amount extra.  Never had one fail in the 25 years or so I have mowed lawns. Motor will go out maybe, or just starts rusting apart.  I was unsure on the no oil change Briggs as well, and spent the extra 50 or so for the Honda.

Also said the hell with gas powered weed eater and bought a 20volt black and decker. Should be enough for my sized lawn and fence.  The gas ones weigh twice as much and are a constant pain.  I wanted the dewalt fo match the pile of batteries I have but the reviews are beyond terrible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Had the same decision today. Bought a self propelled Honda to replace a husqvarna that didn't have a bagger and left behind too much grass clumps. Self propelled is worth the small amount extra.  Never had one fail in the 25 years or so I have mowed lawns. Motor will go out maybe, or just starts rusting apart.  I was unsure on the no oil change Briggs as well, and spent the extra 50 or so for the Honda.

Also said the hell with gas powered weed eater and bought a 20volt black and decker. Should be enough for my sized lawn and fence.  The gas ones weigh twice as much and are a constant pain.  I wanted the dewalt fo match the pile of batteries I have but the reviews are beyond terrible.
I've got a 20V B+D string trimmer.  It's been working great for many years on the original battery.  Have the pole saw also.  Both work great.

I'm sure you'll like the B+D.

Quoted:

I read the big sticker on the engine.  It says never change oil, just check and add.   No small print  disclaimer
My brother had a truck like that.  Ford F350 with 460.  It leaked oil so fast you never had to change it.  Just check and add!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The average consumer doesn't use a push mower enough to require changing oil.  They maybe get 20 hours of use a year.
View Quote
Yep.

At that rate, 10 years of use would be just 200 hours.

Typical recommended oil change interval for a small engine is 50-100 hours - So getting 200 hours out of these engines without an oil change probably isn't all that much of a stretch.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:23:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmmph, am I the only one who actually changes the mower oil? I mean I can't say I'm very good about it, but I've at least done it a couple times over the last few years. It's not particularly hard, my mower is a boring cheap push mower mtd with a b&s engine probably going on 10 years old now. The deck is starting to look like shit, but the engine still works ok. Swapped the carb, air filter, and spark plug for a $12 set off amazon last year which woke it up a little. I think mostly due to the air filter...
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I change my riding  mowers oil and fuel filter every year.  It costs 20 bucks and fakes 15 minutes.  That no change shit is for women.
View Quote
Do you wax it and ArmorAll the tires too?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Briggs engines are so shitty that you don't have to worry about them lasting beyond the oil life.

It's my main complaint with the surface drive motor industry.  I want a Gator Tail motor badly...but FML, I'm not paying 8K for a glorified Briggs boat motor.  Even the owners throw out the "Well, after you replace this plastic bearing and the gaskets, and this shaft, and this valve, and these hoses, it is good go go"...No....no way...no how.

Somebody please build a 40HP sufrace drive on a Honda motor.  Seriously...and get rid of the belt drive.
View Quote
Plenty of kits out there. Just add a HF Predator.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I paid $50 for one about 5 or so years ago, had been used at most a couple of years, couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. Garage sales are great. Check oil, fill gas and go.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#22]
My gas moweres had a threaded drain plug underneath by the blade.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#23]
For what it takes, including a simple and easy oil change at the start of every season, it's worth it.....even if Arfcom says it's not needed.

I've got 35 minutes to sharpen blades and change a little 30 weight oil to keep that mower running smooth every year. It beats buying one every three years because I ran it and never checked or maintained anything.

And.....I'm another Honda mower owner.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I just sold a Toro RWD that had a B&S engine, 11 years old, always started on the second pull, never had a single issue, changed the oil 3 times.

Pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I read the big sticker on the engine.  It says never change oil, just check and add.   No small print  disclaimer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read the owners manual. Its not just check and add. You either suck it out through check and fill hole or turn it completely over and pour it out.
Yep, I bought a new pressure washer a few months ago and the Briggs engine says that on it. I remember laughing saying to myself that they read my mind and I wasn’t going to change it anyway.

As for Honda engines, the pressure washer I was replacing had one. It was a big piece of shit from day one. It was a Troy Bilt washer so it may have been a lower grade Honda or just a dud. It was the only Honda engine I have ever had problems with.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't lawn mowers already have no oil change engines
Ive never changed the oil in a lawn mower. Never even checked it
View Quote
I have never had a self propelled that lasted more than two seasons and Its not the motors that give out its the wheels, deck or you hit something and total the motor.  We just add now and that's all it takes.

They are consumable.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I have one of the no oil change engines on my mower, last fall I changed the oil. Small price to pay for peace of mind.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Honda GX engines use a pair of metal gears to drive the camshaft - which lasts a long time.

The Honda GC engines use a rubber belt to drive a plastic pulley on the camshaft - which doesn't last a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just bought a Husqvarna 700f with a GC Honda.  Wished I'd know about the plastic pulley.  Sounds like a high wear part where failure would trash the engine in short order.

Problem is, I don't trust small Briggs engines since they moved mfg to China.  They used to be bullet proof.

ETA: There isn't a push mower sold that includes the GX series engine apparently.  Even Hondas $800 premium mower has a GC engine.  Oh well, the engine has a 3 yr warranty.  Hopefully I won't need it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The body will probably rust or fall apart before the motor fails.

Honda motors on lawn mowers are harder to kill than Steven Segal.
View Quote
THIS, MIL gave me one, (literally stored full of fuel( with some ethanol added)  for 2 YEARS outside), said i could have it if i could get it to run otherwise haul to the dump... SO YEP, stripped carb, carb cleaner, and fired right up. something was sticking in the float so i to tear down again but was a 500 dollar self propelled mower. for my 1/8th acre... lol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#30]
This reminds me, buddy bought a forclosed house for a song and had to clean the back yard, midway through cleaning we found a mower buried in a pile of leaves, half the push handle was missing and the deck had a tree growing through it(in from bottom, out through grass shoot. I bet my buddy a beer i could get it to start. He took the bet. chopped off the tree with a sawz all, filled with gas, shot WD40 nto the cylinder via spark plug, pumped prime 4 times, and got it to cough. realized i had the engine brake on because the handle was missing, so i vice gripped that in place like it had a safety stop. More WD40, then pulled. Fired right up. I couldn't stop laughing...  It was I think a 4.5 B&S, but it was OLD the tree had 15 rings in it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't lawn mowers already have no oil change engines
Ive never changed the oil in a lawn mower. Never even checked it
View Quote
We have a briggs and stratton powered push mower that sat unused but dirty as hell for the better part of 10 years.  I had undergone normal use for several years.  No maintenance, nada, just gas and go.  After changing out the 10 year old residual gas in the tank it started on the first pull.  I checked and topped up the oil (still in the low-normal range) and it's been going strong for the last 2 years.  Stored in an outside shed the whole time.

The body will rust before the engine quits.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I change my riding  mowers oil and fuel filter every year.  It costs 20 bucks and fakes 15 minutes.  That no change shit is for women.
I change mine every 40-50 hours.  Fuel filter too.

I've changed the hydraulic oil twice in 350 hours.

It's also a Deere 2305.

40-50 hours equals out to once a year. I typically need to change the fuel filter... Well, 3.6 quarts of oil and a filter is cheap.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#33]
My dad has an old “Pennycraft” (JCPennys) lawn mower with a B&S 3.5 hp engine on it. I’ve nicknamed that particular mower “beast mode” because you can run over anything with it and it just laughs. I use it as a bush hog.

It just goes to show if you take care of something, especially older, better made stuff, it will last a long time. New stuff just isn’t built as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't think I've ever changed the oil on a vertical crank engine.  Just top up as necessary.   The engines have all long outlasted the rest of the mowers.
View Quote
I had an old Montgomery Ward el cheapo 23" with a B&S engine.  I wanted it to die so I could justify getting a new one.  But it started on the first or second pull, and ran great.  I didn't even bother to top up the oil.  The little dipstick was black with the residue of old oil, but none showed on it.  The engine still ran great until I finally just threw it away.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#35]
When my Honda powered mower rusts apart, I’ll buy another mower and put my Honda motor in it.

8yrs and it starts first pull, every time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Tipping mowers is for amateurs.

http://pelaproducts.com/index.htm

One of the best tools I bought. Makes the cars, with filters on top, oil changes easy too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#37]
My 6.5 HP Briggs has ran since 2002 with no oil changes, no air filter cleaning or spark plug change and still starts first pull.  City lot.  I’ve added oil a couple of times.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Ugh, my last Briggs push mower went out with a bang after 3 years.  Literally blew the side of the case out and left a pile of broken pieces and oil on my lawn.  That was with yearly oil changes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can't speak for now, but forty years ago my father purchased a self propelled "Push Mower"  I remember we got tired of putting the chain back on the spocket so many times that we ended up disconnecting it altogether.  I am rocking a "Weed Eater" brand push mower I bought at Walmart for $60 a few years ago.  I would recommend that you stick with a conventional push mower.
View Quote
I just donated two self propelled mowers with busted gearboxes to a local repair guy.  Picked up a $200 Lowe's push mower with a Honda motor. 1/4 acre suburb lot, no need for another expensive to repair mower.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ugh, my last Briggs push mower went out with a bang after 3 years.  Literally blew the side of the case out and left a pile of broken pieces and oil on my lawn.  That was with yearly oil changes.
View Quote
Back when I was working at Briggs the plant manager was pushing out engine blocks with too much cylinder porosity.   We had a batch of 300+ engines come from die casting that had horrible porosity so for 2 hours we put every engine in the scrap bins.

The manager had decided to stop buying certified feed stock for the casting line, and then to remelt bad parts all to save money.  The plant metallurgist quit because it got so bad.  He tried telling management that melting dirty metal that's already out of spec wouldn't make any good engines.

The plant manager came back and told us to push the bad engines through to assembly because we were making mower engines, not swiss watches.  I told him he'd be luck to be making anything if he kept pushing out of spec crap out the door.  Plant closed 2 years later.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never change the oil? What kind of madness is that?

I got a self propelled few years back, worth every penny.
View Quote
Some semi trucks never change oil.  They have a tank that you fill that tops off the crankcase when the engine is stopped.  The system pumps a tiny bit of motor oil into the fuel tank to be burned up as fuel. You just changed the filters as specified.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a Briggs that burned oil and then seized one day while it had plenty of it. I used it as a brush mower so I didn't have to leave the yard with my nicer Honda, so no loss.

It was actually kind of fun having it seize. I could hear it start to slow down and saw it starting to smoke. Said screw it and kept running it. Pretty sure it snapped the wrist pin or broke the whole piston skirt off. The crank would still turn but with no resistance and it sounded like a can of marbles when you pulled the cord.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Some semi trucks never change oil.  They have a tank that you fill that tops off the crankcase when the engine is stopped.  The system pumps a tiny bit of motor oil into the fuel tank to be burned up as fuel. You just changed the filters as specified.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never change the oil? What kind of madness is that?

I got a self propelled few years back, worth every penny.
I've literally never heard of that.

And it certainly wouldn't be done with emissions trucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I have always run my mowers on the same oil change schedule as my cars.

Every 3000 to 5000 miles whether they need it or not!

Serious confession here:  I have never changed the oil in the engine operating any lawn equipment I've ever had.

I've never had an engine fail.  But chassis/frames/bodies have certainly rusted out and at the time it went to scrap, the engine still ran fine.  Every time.

If I were running a professional lawn service, that'd be a different story.   But for home use?   Frankly, WHY BOTHER?

I make sure the oil's in the right fill level range.  But change it?  Don't see the need.  Product performance history supports my decision.

I know, it's not "by the book" but then again...neither am I.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm not sold on the everlasting oil bullshit in anything. You certainly don't need to change it every three thousand miles and twice on Sunday in modern cars with modern oil. But it seems like it could breakdown and dilute over time. Plus sitting in the off season, the smallest engines not having a filter, being air cooled they run hotter than you think. A lot of variables breaking down oil in there
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
My last Briggs used "Polymer Bushings and Bearings" for the shaft that connected to the blades on the mower.

Guess how well those poly parts lasted in the high dust and friction environment of a mower deck...

Yet, it wasn't a bug...it was a feature...it is a "lifetime part" that "Never needs to be greased"...

Yeah...because the life of the mower is crap.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm going for a battery operated next time. I've got an electric start Toro, self pace thingamajig and something happened recently. It kinda locked up, didn't have any oil so I poured seafoam everywhere, added Mobile One and got one of those split prong spark plugs and now it runs. Weird how it stopped though. Battery operated weed eater is the bomb diggity. Come to think of it, are those Roomba mowers any good?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I have a Honda engine B&S push mower with the ACT featuer (auto choke).

It’s a reliable starter even after a winter I’d being in the garage.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just seems creepy to me. I'll keep tipping my mower yearly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would never not change oil in any engine. That seems asinine to me.
Just seems creepy to me. I'll keep tipping my mower yearly.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top