Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2001 10:04:52 PM EDT
I was listening to NPR on the highway today.  I like he news coverage but hate the liberal propaganda.  Anyway, they ran a story about the Serbs vs Albanians in Macedionia.  The jist of it is that all sides have committed terrible atrocities and hatred runs so deep that if the massive international force were to leave the whole place would explode in a matter of minutes.  Millions of dollars are being spent with no end to the conflict in sight. Seems to me everyone should just resign themselves to the fact that a multiethnic democracy will never work in this part of the world.

Problem is, of course, that the UN would lose face.  They'd have to admit that they failed.  They've been preaching the mantra of integrated societies for so long that they can't possible admit that it won't work everywhere.  So the citizens of the region will continue to live in a police state.  Societies will not be rebuilt, people will live in constant fear, all so the UN won't look bad.

Flame away...

(Damn dislexia)
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 1:40:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The first rule to Peacekeeping Operations that I was taught (back when we first started to get into it) was, "In order to do peacekeeping, there has to be a peace to keep."  It seems we've strayed from that several times, and each time we have gotten caught-up in some sort of quagmire.  I hate to be isolationist, because I happen to believe that with super-power comes the responsiblilty.  Still, we aren't thw world's policeman.  Once Europe figures out what they want to do, then we can help out.  Until they get it together over there though, there's nothing we should do.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top