Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
He was ordained in my grandmothers church in Palatka Fla.  Knew that side of the family real well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
He made it 4 years past my grandfather.

I always liked the Graham ministries.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Godspeed to you sir, RIP.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
RIP
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how the scumbag televangelists will use his name and life to promote themselves?

Rest in Peace, Rev. Graham; while I am not a follower of your beliefs, I do respect what you did and how you did it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My father turned his life around and asked Jesus to save him in 1975 while sitting alone in his apartment and flipping on the TV to see a Billy Graham Crusade. He decided to call and speak to someone....his life was in shambles. Mom had just left him that evening with my sister.

Changed his life, got my mom back after his character change, drinking stopped, and became a real husband. They only had my sister at that point but I came later because they mended their relationship based specifically off that night.

I owe my actual existence to God, but I’m here because of Billy Graham.
View Quote
That is truly awesome...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Really? I'm pretty sure Mr. Graham preached that all mankind was separated from God due to sin and that Jesus was the only way to have a relationship with God. What did I miss?
View Quote
I won't provide a link, however if you google "Robert Schuller interviews Billy Graham", It's a short youtube watch, like 2 or 3 minutes.  Another
was on the old Larry King show also with Schuller and Graham as I recall.

Anyway, it's all out there.

If you do truly honor the one and only Gospel message, BG wasn't your man.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The world was a better place with Billy Graham in it
and is diminished by his loss.
May God watch over the rest of the world
with Billy by his side..........
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Rest in Peace my friend.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
As someone who did not know much about him, I saw this on our local news (Liberal AJC). Thought they were some interesting facts.

1. Graham was the son of a dairy farmer in North Carolina. He grew up dreaming of becoming a professional baseball player but said of himself, "The talent for baseball obviously was not there."

2. At the age of 15, Graham made a personal commitment to Christ at a tent revival meeting featuring traveling evangelist Mordecai Ham.

3. Graham held his first citywide crusade in 1947 in Grand Rapids, Mich. The mass meetings attracted thousands of people in one venue to hear Graham speak. In all, Graham held more than 400 crusades in 185 countries and territories across six continents — reaching 215 million people, according to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

4. Graham received an offer to host a nationwide Christian radio program in 1949 but said he would only do it if he could raise $25,000 in one night to start the process of buying air time. At a crusade in Portland, Ore., the funds came in and the radio program "Hour of Decision" got its start. The program is now aired on 1,200 radio stations, featuring messages from Graham and his son, Franklin.

5. In the summer of 1957, Graham preached nightly for 16 consecutive weeks in New York's Madison Square Garden to a packed audience. He shared the lessons of Sodom and Gomorrah from the Bible, substituting "New York" for the names of the cities of sin, The New York Times reported.

6. Graham was the author of 33 books, including his 1997 best-selling autobiography, “Just As I Am.”

7. The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association started the TV Telephone Ministry in 1980, for people to call in while watching the "Billy Graham Classics" programs on TV and talk to trained volunteers about topics including "drug abuse, depression, and God's will." The call center at BGEA headquarters has grown from a few phones to 200, with other call centers throughout the country.

8. Graham's role as a counselor to American presidents is widely known. But perhaps most extraordinary is just how many presidents he has advised. Graham has met with every occupant of the Oval Office since 1950, starting with Harry Truman, which amounts to 12 of the 43 men who have ever served in the nation's highest office.

9. Shortly after President Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in to office in 1963, he invited Billy Graham to the White House. The pair didn't have bathing suits and reportedly went skinny dipping in the pool.

10. Graham helped George W. Bush stop drinking. The first time the pair met, Bush, who was much younger at the time, was drunk after having several beers and glasses of wine, he told CNN. His father, George H.W. Bush, invited the preacher to the family's compound in Maine. The pair spoke about religion, which helped start a turning point in Bush's life.

11. While at Wheaton College, Graham met future wife Ruth, the daughter of missionaries in China. They were married in 1943, until her death in 2007. After her death at the age of 87, Graham said, "When it comes to spiritual things, my wife has had the greatest influence on my ministry — she was the greatest Christian I ever knew."

12. To eliminate even the suspicion of infidelity, Graham vowed never to meet, travel or eat alone with any woman other than his wife.

13. During the Civil Rights era, Graham integrated his revival meetings, inviting both blacks and whites to attend. He said, "Christianity is not a white man's religion, and don't let anybody ever tell you that it's white or black. Christ belongs to all people. He belongs to the whole world."

14. He became a target of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1960s after planning an integrated  crusade in Birmingham, Alabama in the aftermath of a church bombing that killed several black children. “The Ku Klux Klan went around and knocked out our signs,” Billy Graham recalled. “The State Police had to send policemen with us wherever we wen t— before my car and after my car. The police were also in the rooms around me because they were afraid we would get shot.”

15. Graham was consistently listed on Gallup's poll of the "10 Most Admired Men in the World." Although he's never been No. 1, Graham has made the list 56 times since 1955.

16. Graham received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1989.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#11]
This is truly a sad day.

We lost R.C. Sproul not too long ago as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I won't provide a link, however if you google "Robert Schuller interviews Billy Graham", It's a short youtube watch, like 2 or 3 minutes.  Another

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really? I'm pretty sure Mr. Graham preached that all mankind was separated from God due to sin and that Jesus was the only way to have a relationship with God. What did I miss?

I'm gonna go with Billy Graham. You sir, have a nice day.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#14]
You know, I'm into my 60's and I can't remember a time (until recently) that Billy Graham wasn't preaching on the radio or later on the TV. He was as much an 'American Institution' as anyone I can think of.

RIP, ol' son. Enjoy the rewards of your ministry.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Godspeed, Rev. Graham.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]
When the non believers post positive things about you that speaks volumes.

RIP
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When the non believers post positive things about you that speaks volumes.

RIP
View Quote
I was just thinking the same...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dead at 99...
View Quote
Meh!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Reunited in Glory with his beloved Ruth, in the presence of our Lord.

As a teenager in the 70s l would often stop on one of his televised revivals if l were channel surfing.  All three channels.

Most televangelists came across as hucksters.  Dr. Graham spoke the Truth.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As someone who did not know much about him, I saw this on our local news (Liberal AJC). Thought they were some interesting facts.

1. Graham was the son of a dairy farmer in North Carolina. He grew up dreaming of becoming a professional baseball player but said of himself, "The talent for baseball obviously was not there."

2. At the age of 15, Graham made a personal commitment to Christ at a tent revival meeting featuring traveling evangelist Mordecai Ham.

3. Graham held his first citywide crusade in 1947 in Grand Rapids, Mich. The mass meetings attracted thousands of people in one venue to hear Graham speak. In all, Graham held more than 400 crusades in 185 countries and territories across six continents — reaching 215 million people, according to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

4. Graham received an offer to host a nationwide Christian radio program in 1949 but said he would only do it if he could raise $25,000 in one night to start the process of buying air time. At a crusade in Portland, Ore., the funds came in and the radio program "Hour of Decision" got its start. The program is now aired on 1,200 radio stations, featuring messages from Graham and his son, Franklin.

5. In the summer of 1957, Graham preached nightly for 16 consecutive weeks in New York's Madison Square Garden to a packed audience. He shared the lessons of Sodom and Gomorrah from the Bible, substituting "New York" for the names of the cities of sin, The New York Times reported.

6. Graham was the author of 33 books, including his 1997 best-selling autobiography, “Just As I Am.”

7. The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association started the TV Telephone Ministry in 1980, for people to call in while watching the "Billy Graham Classics" programs on TV and talk to trained volunteers about topics including "drug abuse, depression, and God's will." The call center at BGEA headquarters has grown from a few phones to 200, with other call centers throughout the country.

8. Graham's role as a counselor to American presidents is widely known. But perhaps most extraordinary is just how many presidents he has advised. Graham has met with every occupant of the Oval Office since 1950, starting with Harry Truman, which amounts to 12 of the 43 men who have ever served in the nation's highest office.

9. Shortly after President Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in to office in 1963, he invited Billy Graham to the White House. The pair didn't have bathing suits and reportedly went skinny dipping in the pool.

10. Graham helped George W. Bush stop drinking. The first time the pair met, Bush, who was much younger at the time, was drunk after having several beers and glasses of wine, he told CNN. His father, George H.W. Bush, invited the preacher to the family's compound in Maine. The pair spoke about religion, which helped start a turning point in Bush's life.

11. While at Wheaton College, Graham met future wife Ruth, the daughter of missionaries in China. They were married in 1943, until her death in 2007. After her death at the age of 87, Graham said, "When it comes to spiritual things, my wife has had the greatest influence on my ministry — she was the greatest Christian I ever knew."

12. To eliminate even the suspicion of infidelity, Graham vowed never to meet, travel or eat alone with any woman other than his wife.

13. During the Civil Rights era, Graham integrated his revival meetings, inviting both blacks and whites to attend. He said, "Christianity is not a white man's religion, and don't let anybody ever tell you that it's white or black. Christ belongs to all people. He belongs to the whole world."

14. He became a target of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1960s after planning an integrated  crusade in Birmingham, Alabama in the aftermath of a church bombing that killed several black children. “The Ku Klux Klan went around and knocked out our signs,” Billy Graham recalled. “The State Police had to send policemen with us wherever we wen t— before my car and after my car. The police were also in the rooms around me because they were afraid we would get shot.”

15. Graham was consistently listed on Gallup's poll of the "10 Most Admired Men in the World." Although he's never been No. 1, Graham has made the list 56 times since 1955.

16. Graham received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1989.
View Quote
He had a series of interesting letters with John Lennon, before Ono completely rotted his brain, as well as meeting with and counseling other rock/country/other music/TV and movies stars too.  I saw him once when I was younger, he was a powerful speaker.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
RIP Billy. He was a real man of God.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes indeed.  I loved RC.

R.C. Sproul was once asked, "Do you believe you will see Billy Graham in Heaven?"  This was because they had some differences in doctrine.

R.C. replied, "No, I don't think I will."

The audience gasped.

He continued, "I believe Billy will be so close to the Throne of God and I will be so far away, that I will be lucky to catch a glimpse of him at all."
View Quote
R.C. is one of my foremost hero's of Reformed Theology, however he did have a bit of a politician in him.

R.C. was not so shallow as to embrace BG's, um, "Theology".
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Truly a man ahead of his time!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Truly a man ahead of his time!
View Quote
No question about that.

A very moral man indeed.

The "Me Tooers" are in a quandry.  Do I hate him????  Do I like him????   I'm so confused.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#26]
He part of Americana. We remember him as some one we could trust. He was part of the American experience for decades.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#27]
RIP
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
to a Christian entering God's presence is a time to Rejoice

Well done good and faithful servant enter into your rest
View Quote
Amen brother. RIP sir.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes indeed.  I loved RC.

R.C. Sproul was once asked, "Do you believe you will see Billy Graham in Heaven?"  This was because they had some differences in doctrine.

The audience gasped.

He continued, "I believe Billy will be so close to the Throne of God and I will be so far away, that I will be lucky to catch a glimpse of him at all."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is truly a sad day.

We lost R.C. Sproul not too long ago as well.
Yes indeed.  I loved RC.

The audience gasped.

That is probably the best anecdote I've heard a long time, and brought a smile to me in the midst of depressing news.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Billy Graham was truly a Man of God. Heaven is a happier place,today.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Amen.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
RIP Billy. He was a real man of God.
View Quote
Very well respected.............he will be missed
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#33]
A servant of the Lord.....my Mother is the same way.  She is now in hospice care with Alzheimer's.  Will praise the Lord when he takes her!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wouldn’t get caught up in all the “extras”. Every denomination has them. Most can’t see their own issues but oh-boy can they see the next guys. I probably am believing something “wrong” right now.

Jesus and only Jesus is the way to heaven. He died to save you. He is God’s only begotten son. You must accept him as your personal savior and that’s it.

That’s all you need to know. No matter how screwed up the rest of you or your neighbor’s doctrine is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#35]
RIP

I wet to one of his crusades back in the 80's in the Tacoma Dome, Tacoma Washington..
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#36]
This made my day hearing it earlier...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#37]
The really great thing about serving Jesus is all who give their life to him will have the same welcome Billy had. We are not loved any more or less by our good works. It is the blood of Christ that makes us justified. Praise God for that.

If God told you to preach to only one person in your whole life and you did it you would be just as obiedent as Billy Graham was to obediently preach to the masses.

BG was a great man of God. If he could post in this thread he would say,Give your life to Jesus Christ and walk with him.

Praise God.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#38]
He was a great man. RIP
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Psalm 116:15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

Happy Promotion day, Billy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That quote hit me right in the feels too.

My wife's grandmother was from a completely unchurched background until she watched a Billy Graham crusade on TV, accepted Christ, and got plugged in to a good church. She then had a daughter, who became a Christian & was raised in church. She had my wife, who became a Christian and was raised in church.

Two thirds of our kids are Christians, all are being raised in church, and our oldest (11) has already started preaching & feels called to the ministry.

It's funny how legacies often start so seemingly small.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A servant of the Lord.....my Mother is the same way.  She is now in hospice care with Alzheimer's.  Will praise the Lord when he takes her!
View Quote
Prayers are on the way...
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I'll never forget that voice.   RIP Rev Graham
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I just heard on the news that the funeral will be in Charlotte Saturday, March 3rd.

There should be a ton of followers, press and dignitary's from around the world in attendance.

On that same weekend Charlotte will host the CIAA mens/womens basketball tournament.

That should be an interesting mix.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
to a Christian entering God's presence is a time to Rejoice

Well done good and faithful servant enter into your rest
View Quote

I hope and think Heaven is more like a Trans Siberian Orchersta concert than anything else. What a blessing it was to be here on earth with him.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top