Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it needs to be raised. I've seen the 18 year olds being churned out by the education system, and they are not ready for adult shit. I also think violent movies & video games should be viewed only by those of the age they are specified for, no letting parents buy them tickets, and take off. No more allowing the parents to buy them a violent video game, only to use it as a babysitter. When a "child" commits a violent crime, the parents should be held responsible. Our moral compass is fucked, it's time to bring back the Richie Cunningham era. Also, make divorce more difficult with children, penalize adulterers. We have to start somewhere. I know I sound like a loon, but why should I give up my rights for other people's fuck ups

I like this, prob is , we'll never get back to there. The same perps that talk about those bad guns, have fucking nothing to say where they fucked up as a parent, and still are.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Age to vote ought to be 21 then also.
View Quote
And join the military then.  Who’s going to tell a US soldier they can’t own a rifle?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think it needs to be raised. I've seen the 18 year olds being churned out by the education system, and they are not ready for adult shit. I also think violent movies & video games should be viewed only by those of the age they are specified for, no letting parents buy them tickets, and take off. No more allowing the parents to buy them a violent video game, only to use it as a babysitter. When a "child" commits a violent crime, the parents should be held responsible. Our moral compass is fucked, it's time to bring back the Richie Cunningham era. Also, make divorce more difficult with children, penalize adulterers. We have to start somewhere. I know I sound like a loon, but why should I give up my rights for other people's fuck ups

I like this, prob is , we'll never get back to there. The same perps that talk about those bad guns, have fucking nothing to say where they fucked up as a parent, and still are.
View Quote
Let's just raise the age to 1 year older than whatever you are.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
We had that. Called the middle ages including purges and debtors prison...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Over 21 to own a semi-automatic - I'm fine with it.

Sorry, but I am.  18 to 21 year olds are far less mature these days.

This is where my statement gets attacked by 18 to 21 year olds.    Single-shot rifle or shottie for 18 to 21 year olds isn't a bad thing.   But then over 300 HP cars and trucks for 16 to 21 year olds is dumb, too - and nobody is trying to limit them.

I'm a believer in freedom, but freedom earned after training periods.  I'm not sure what the motorcycle laws here are anymore, but in Europe many places have new motorcyclists start out on under-some-CC or under-some-horsepower , then graduate.   That 'graduation' event with guns used to be parents, but in the USA with as many parent-less kids as we have, a beginner period for firearms would be fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would almost be okay with 21 to buy, IF we get something major in return. What, I don’t know, but if we give an inch here, we better take a foot somewhere else. I’m sick of playing the damage control game instead of coordinating actual compromise. If anyone can do that, it’s Trump. We’ll see.
View Quote
I'm in the same boat.

I think any restrictions on anything should be traded equally for lessening restrictions on people who aren't "problems".

Low hanging fruit is national reciprocity on weapons carry licenses.  Repeal the hughes amendment and removing silencers from the NFA would be 2 big ones.

I'm sure some in GD would label me a commie pinko leftist for this, but I'm fine with making it 21 to buy any gun WITH the exception to those in military service.

If the left routinely complains about how you don't need any training to buy a gun or carry concealed, then it should be obvious that someone with military training would meet that criteria.

I also don't have any problems with treating most people under the age of 25 as children.  Functioning families with both parents in the home RAISING their children with respect and discipline are few and far between nowadays.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
So what about the 18-21 year olds in the military? They shouldn’t be legally allowed to have guns then.  Keep it at 18 and raise voting age higher to keep these stupid liberal kids that have zero life experience from voting on real life issues.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is where my statement gets attacked by 18 to 21 year olds.    Single-shot rifle or shottie for 18 to 21 year olds isn't a bad thing.   But then over 300 HP cars and trucks for 16 to 21 year olds is dumb, too - and nobody is trying to limit them.  

I'm a believer in freedom, but
freedom earned after training periods.  I'm not sure what the motorcycle laws here are anymore, but in Europe many places have new motorcyclists start out on under-some-CC or under-some-horsepower , then graduate.   That 'graduation' event with guns used to be parents, but in the USA with as many parent-less kids as we have, a beginner period for firearms would be fine.
View Quote
Liberals always talk like this.  I believe in the 2nd amendment, but...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm ok with the age to buy a rifle or shotgun being the same age to buy a handgun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
If history is a guide, they will add an exception for active duty military and law enforcement.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fucking this. If it's 21 to vote and buy guns then it's 21 to Vote.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here’s a thought....I really don’t care about you or your Coc.

I’m not sure what terrifies you about an age restriction to keep an AR15 out of the hands of the age group most likely to shoot up a school with it.  Not to mention that each time one of these idiots shoot up a school, it gives the other side more ammunition to outright ban AR15’s.  But then again, I really don’t care what you think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really don’t have a problem with a 21 year old ownership law.  It would maybe stop some of these shooters from getting their hands off n guns OR make them try to find them illegally which might ‘out’ them.

But I also think there needs to be a law holding the gun owners responsible for the fact that they leave their guns laying around so these minors can kill people with them.  If a kid breaks into a safe or takes some extraordinary effort to get the guns, no charges for the owner that secured them.  Too many times we find these retard kid’s parents buying them guns and then not securing them.  They give the kids carte Blanche access and when the kid snaps it’s as easy to grab the gun as it is a backpack.
the way you think terrifies me and gives me little hope  that our fellow gun owners  will fight more unconstitutional laws

I wish the COC didnt keep me from telling you what I really want to say about what you "think"

I’m not sure what terrifies you about an age restriction to keep an AR15 out of the hands of the age group most likely to shoot up a school with it.  Not to mention that each time one of these idiots shoot up a school, it gives the other side more ammunition to outright ban AR15’s.  But then again, I really don’t care what you think.
You foolishly think that will keep guns out of these monster's hands and stop school killings.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fucking this. If it's 21 to vote and buy guns then it's 21 to Vote.
View Quote
Heck, I'm fine with the requirement to vote being only men who own land
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You foolishly think that will keep guns out of these monster's hands and stop school killings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really don’t have a problem with a 21 year old ownership law.  It would maybe stop some of these shooters from getting their hands off n guns OR make them try to find them illegally which might ‘out’ them.

But I also think there needs to be a law holding the gun owners responsible for the fact that they leave their guns laying around so these minors can kill people with them.  If a kid breaks into a safe or takes some extraordinary effort to get the guns, no charges for the owner that secured them.  Too many times we find these retard kid’s parents buying them guns and then not securing them.  They give the kids carte Blanche access and when the kid snaps it’s as easy to grab the gun as it is a backpack.
the way you think terrifies me and gives me little hope  that our fellow gun owners  will fight more unconstitutional laws

I wish the COC didnt keep me from telling you what I really want to say about what you "think"

No.  A motivated individual will find a way to kill you if they are sufficiently motivated.  I told this to a coworker that “we’re in the office, which is a gun free / weapon free zone, but if I wanted you dead, you would be dead.”  I picked up about eight items in my cubicle that could be used to kill him to make my point.  He knew I wasn’t threatening him.

What raising the minimum age would do would have made the Florida shooter get his weapon elsewhere other than a legal way.  As it stands now, we could have any number of copycats buying an AR15 right now so that the news media and politicians can hammer away at the fact it was all legal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m stunned at how easily people are folding this time around.

An 18-20 year old shouldn’t be denied a basic right, period.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
First response and all that...^^^^
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its just more of I'm safe so IDGAF about anyone else, many would probably accept a ban on future transfers of firearms if it meant they were immune to future confiscation. Its not so much the raising the age so much that is worrisome, its the fact that many see its the right thing to do, since the group they picked is seen as mentally unstable and should not be eligible for firearm ownership, so what do you think the antis see all gun owners and even all conservatives as? Probably unstable, racist, uneducated, mentally deficient Nazis which should not own firearms since they are more likely to kill someone in their eyes. Once they know they can get away with one thing, why would they stop there? They could just keep pushing new bills to restrict ownership down to a increasingly small group similar to most European states where gun ownership is a defacto rich mans right since they can be trusted more than us commoners.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
At least you're self aware.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No.  A motivated individual will find a way to kill you if they are sufficiently motivated.  I told this to a coworker that “we’re in the office, which is a gun free / weapon free zone, but if I wanted you dead, you would be dead.”  I picked up about eight items in my cubicle that could be used to kill him to make my point.  He knew I wasn’t threatening him.

What raising the minimum age would do would have made the Florida shooter get his weapon elsewhere other than a legal way.  As it stands now, we could have any number of copycats buying an AR15 right now so that the news media and politicians can hammer away at the fact it was all legal.
View Quote
Then what you propose is worthless and doesn't save lives.

It wasn't. The kid should've had a criminal record, or been Baker Acted. Law enforcement failed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#21]
It always pissed me off (when I was in the Army) that I couldn't buy a damn 1911, that I couldn't buy ammo for a pistol and that I had to sign a book/ledger stating .22 rim fire ammo was going to be used in a rifle and yet I could still get sent off somewhere to kill other people, or get killed, fighting a damn war.

How in the hell is "right" to send a kid off to kill/get killed in combat and then tell him he can't buy a gun of his own?  That shit sucked in 1975/76/77 and it still sucks now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
99.9999% of us lawful gun owners follow/obey the rules and then this .0001% psycho kid goes on a rampage that should have been caught by the current system. Now the rest of the 99.9999% need to give up something because of that. How is that not fucked up?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Those of you willing to raise the rifle purchase age should be ashamed of yourselves.  But while we're at it, let's raise the age to drive & give consent to 21 as well.  That will create a whole new class of felons and force you to tote your 'kids' around for an extra five years.  LOL
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Page 6 and I still don't see any audio, video, or anything written by Trump saying this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
so they're old enough for comfortable old men like most of us on this site (including myself) to send them to go die in some globalist war but not old enough to own a gun at home.
ridiculous.

to those who agree with raising the age, your kid might not be mature enough to own a firearm at 18 but both of mine were extremely reasonable, intelligent young men by 18 and both demonstrated then and still do today a respect for firearms and firearm safety.

i hope there are any house or senate republicans worth a damn willing to fight the President on this. that is, assuming this is something that requires legislation.

if this ends up becoming a reality i will be extremely disappointed in the President.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Try to remember that posses, own and purchase are not the same thing.

There can be different ages for each.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Hope it doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because the fold is decades old now?  Pistols have been this way for as long as I can recall.  Why have we been complacent and accepting of this?  It’s more feel-good bullshit and frankly if you say people are too young to handle rights then the age of majority ought be moved not just this and that thing.

That said, the sky doesn’t fall if that comes to pass but god damnit we should get something else out of the bargain.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a believer in freedom, but
freedom earned after training periods.  I'm not sure what the motorcycle laws here are anymore, but in Europe many places have new motorcyclists start out on under-some-CC or under-some-horsepower , then graduate.   That 'graduation' event with guns used to be parents, but in the USA with as many parent-less kids as we have, a beginner period for firearms would be fine.
It truly is remarkable with these dumbass Underscore user names.
How about raising kids who are complete shit heads instead of infringing on freedoms?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
21 to join the military too!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Trump will drop out any day now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#32]
"Most" 18-20 year olds seem to be immature idiots these days. I'll be 43 this summber, thinking back to that age I can't believe the stupid shit we did. At least we weren't eating detergent...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#33]
yep.. 21 ... and move the voting age also..

because the constitution and rights either apply or dont...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm a believer in freedom, but freedom earned after training periods.  I'm not sure what the motorcycle laws here are anymore, but in Europe many places have new motorcyclists start out on under-some-CC or under-some-horsepower , then graduate.   That 'graduation' event with guns used to be parents, but in the USA with as many parent-less kids as we have, a beginner period for firearms would be fine.
View Quote
Here's your statement being attacked by a long time gun owner. It's idiotic. Rights for you, but not for others. Rights don't have to be earned, but they frequently have to be defended from people like you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Actually, if we let illegal aliens buy guns, Dems would probably immediately begin to defend the right bear arms. Hell, they'd probably torpedo Hughes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The age to legally purchase ANY firearm should be lowered to 16.

I am completely serious.  If you are allowed to pilot a 4000 lb vehicle down the road at highway speeds, you are CLEARLY responsible enough to own a firearm.  Driving a car is far more dangerous and deadly than owning a firearm.

All of you old grampa's that seem to think that "kids today" are soooo stupid and immature have clearly not been paying attention to the world outside.  If anything, kids today are more mature, better educated and more wise to the world than they were decades ago.
View Quote
You can solo in an plane also at 16.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The age to legally purchase ANY firearm should be lowered to 16.

I am completely serious.  If you are allowed to pilot a 4000 lb vehicle down the road at highway speeds, you are CLEARLY responsible enough to own a firearm.  Driving a car is far more dangerous and deadly than owning a firearm.

All of you old grampa's that seem to think that "kids today" are soooo stupid and immature have clearly not been paying attention to the world outside. If anything, kids today are more mature, better educated and more wise to the world than they were decades ago.
View Quote
I think 16 is too young to drive for many kids. More mature today? I disagree on that, kids are kids. Maturity comes with age, well for most
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It wasn't. The kid should've had a criminal record, or been Baker Acted. Law enforcement failed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, this was a complete failure by all of the agencies involved from the school district to the courts to the FBI and local law enforcement.

The point is that he was able to buy it legally and that fact will be hammered on by the media.  The fact that he should not have been able to keep it due to the mental health and law problems is a different story.

But my point still stands that not all 18-20 year olds will shoot up a school BUT enough 18-20 year olds will shoot up a school and become the poster child for gun control.  Not to mention the lives lost and their impact.

I really don’t get excited if a person has to wait until 21 to buy a weapon, rifle or pistol.  By then, they are mature so that normal teen bs—girlfriends and high school drama is over.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I agree with what Rush said yesterday

And, remember, Trump’s like anybody, he would love to do something that gets praised from the Drive-By Media. He’d love it. But that just becomes a starting point. Then if we agree, Trump agrees, age limit to buying a gun, what about age limit on any other constitutional rights? What about an age limit on free speech? What about an age limit on the right to assembly? What about an age limit on guaranteed protection against illegal searches? Like they can search you until you’re 25. Up until 25 you got nothing worth hiding, but after 25...

That’s the slippery slope to me. The slippery slope is that these things are never solutions. It never ends. They always begin a new objective or agenda of further restrictions on additional constitutional rights.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Let's just raise the age to 1 year older than whatever you are.
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi mom,his neighbors,his classmates,his therapist,his teachers,principals and law enforcement had a huge heads up on this killer and had that heads up for
many years.

He was a cutter, filled with self hatred, hatred and cruelty to pets and small animals, the cutting is a sign of self hatred and disassociated state...numbness no feelings
for others, no remorse, no pity, no empathy devoid of normal human affection he could cut himself and not feel anything...naturally he could hurt living things including
other kids and not feel anything.

He stepped outside himself and was disassociated from his actions like viewing himself through someone elses eyes...his therapist certainly knew this.

Why else prescribe the cocktail of psych drugs he was on.

He actually seemed to do better on the psych meds as a lot of people do...but then the contraindications kicked in the violent side effects not uncommon with
such drugs...

This is what should have been on a whole bunch of professional's radar and was not...why is that?

He should have been committed long before the shooting probably after the first couple of police contacts.

The gun did not do this the type of gun is irrelevant to this.

The pscyh meds and their side effects is something people need to have a serious conversation about but are not.

The media as per usual is ignoring this component instead focusing on the kind of weapon used...that is pretty freaking bizarre to my thinking.

And out of touch with reality.

But then the advertising dollars from trillion dollars companies on national television must be substantial
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Did the NRA make a statement yet?
View Quote
No they’d are still busy spending are yearly dues on crap mail via the usps
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#44]
CNN townhall tonight will be the NRA's statement.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#45]
You should not be  allowed to operate a motorcycle over 200cc unless you are over 21. They are dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see very few people agreeing with simply raising the age. I see a lot of "if it's gonna be 21 to buy a gun it needs to be 21 to x (mainly vote). Which I agree with. If liberals are going to play that a19 year old is too immature them I'm sure going to hold their feet to the fire on it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If true, I'm really not against this. The adult age needs to be raised for everything. I've been saying it for years.
View Quote
The longer you treat people like children, the longer they will act like children.

As usual, Thomas Sowell nails it: Abolish Adolescence

ETA excerpt from the linked article:  "It is only relatively recently, as history is measured, that teenagers have had the luxury of being adolescent. Today we are appalled at the thought of teenage mothers but, for most of history, most mothers were teenagers when they had their first child. But they were not adolescents.

It was understood that girls would get married in their teens and that they would need both maturity and numerous skills to cope with the demands of creating a home and raising a family. Boys likewise had to be prepared to take on a man's responsibilities, which included not only work in factories and farms, but also the protection of his home and family, especially in frontier areas.

There was little time for all the irresponsible self-indulgences that we today associate with adolescence. Was life grim? Sometimes. But there was also a sense of personal fulfillment at having met life's challenges and mastered them.

It is today's over-indulged teenagers who are committing suicide in record numbers or seeking escape into drugs, cults and other self-destructive behavior. Life's inherent challenges that helped create maturity in the past have now been largely removed by our dumbed-down schools, rigid child labor laws and indulgent parents."
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
What used to be "training period" for adulthood is now occupied by prolonged adolescence in too many cases.  Constantly extending the period in which we treat people like children isn't going to help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't trust anyone over 30.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
ought not to be able to join the military/be drafted

not considered an adult

can't drink

can't enter into contracts

etc

I am 100% against piecemeal rights based on an arbitrary number.  I don't care what the age of majority is, but you should get your entire suite of rights when that age occurs, whatever it is.
View Quote
Don’t forget - should not get married and have kids because you could not own a gun to protect your family with.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top