Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When he found the girl, the rifle was trussed up in his pack, he had the revolver in a holster, then out.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
So the chick gets everybody deaded because she can’t recognize an ambush unfolding, and thinks people draw down over a jurisdictional dispute?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Good movie.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good movie.
View Quote
agree
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
So the chick gets everybody deaded because she can’t recognize an ambush unfolding, and thinks people draw down over a jurisdictional dispute?
View Quote
She was green and she knew that, other than shoot house experience.

Yeah but the police chief did not recognize it either. Possibly they were reluctant to realize that all 5 or 7 (however many there were)  security guys were in on the rape and murder. My impression was that they were all ex .mil types with 'issues', or so I would want to think. I don't want to believe that 5 (or 7) regular guys decide to beat to death a co-worker and gang rape his gf. The way the security guys surrounded them was a huge tell to me, their body language gave off the ambush vibe. Possibly the good guys were all still thinking that Indian druggies were behind it, until Jermy's character called the chief to tell him that the snow machine tracks led from the body to the instillation.

Does anyone know if that condition is real, where if you breathe in sub zero air rapidly it will freeze the avolvi in your lungs burst them and kill you?

I watched it a couple of times, yeah the blow people off of their feet was a gross exaggeration especially the guy in the trailer, still fun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When he found the girl, the rifle was trussed up in his pack, he had the revolver in a holster, then out.
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/9/96/WindRiver_rifle_2.jpg/600px-WindRiver_rifle_2.jpg
Different rifle too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if that condition is real, where if you breathe in sub zero air rapidly it will freeze the avolvi in your lungs burst them and kill you?
View Quote
I was wondering this as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sure that’s legit
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Different rifle too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/9/96/WindRiver_rifle_2.jpg/600px-WindRiver_rifle_2.jpg
Different rifle too.
Is that the one he smoked the coyote with?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When we did PT in Vermont in sub-zero weather, we were told to wear masks because of this and usually ended up going to a field house or gym to run, do calisthenics, etc.  Was never certain about its veracity, and hadn't heard someone mention it again until I saw it in this movie.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Different rifle too.
I think so.
Bolt action, white or snow camo stock.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I just finished watching it.  Wow great movie but quite sad.  The reloading scene was good to see in a movie.  There was a lot to like for an Arfcommer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just finished watching it.  Wow great movie but quite sad.  The reloading scene was good to see in a movie.  There was a lot to like for an Arfcommer.
View Quote
IIRC, he also made sure that his son remembered to follow the Four Rules.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I watched it again tonight.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
but that would be a hook for a sequel - Out of gratitude for Cory saving her life, Agent Banner could start looking into Cory's daughter's death and turn up a clue.  Cory and Banner reunite to track down the killer(s).  Lots of .45-70 action ensues
View Quote
No. No fucking sequel. Leave the damned movie as it as it ended on the proper note. Stop fucking shit up with sequels.

And I think we need a spoiler tag now. We’ve progressed enough in conversation to ruin a movie.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No. No fucking sequel. Leave the damned movie as it as it ended on the proper note. Stop fucking shit up with sequels.

And I think we need a spoiler tag now. We’ve progressed enough in conversation to ruin a movie.
View Quote
I agree on the sequel. It was a well done movie with a well done, simple story. There's no way to make a sequel to that movie without making it stupid.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One of three great movies written by Taylor Sheridan.  Sicario, Hell or High Water and Wind River were all written by Sheridan and he directed Wind River with a limited budget and without the help of the great cinematography of Roger Deakins.  Sheridan is also an actor who was recently in 12 Strong.
View Quote
GD is going to be conflicted when they find out the champion of the modern western is a Trump hater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNcH6zUn72A  (Good interview if you can make it past the intro which the shitbird interviewer obviously cut to make a point)

Sheridan is a good example of the benefit of ignoring someones politics and just enjoying the work they do.

I would really like to hear his honest opinion on Kurt Sutter from his SOA days. Bet it would be pretty funny.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:27:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#19]
That was horrible. People flying from getting shot, no one hitting each other from 5 feet away for half of it, her unloading like a full mag into a guy's leg before he fell.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I watched the movie a few weeks ago, after watching the last couple seasons of Longmire... the situation with Native Americans on the reservations was pretty fresh in mind... some of the legal shit seemed weird... like if a white man rapes a native woman on a reservation, the Tribal Police can't do shit because it's a white dude, but the FBI can't do shit because it was on the res? That sounds to me like some serious capacity for lawlessness.

Anyway, the movie was decent. Seeing the Olsen chick's ass was the nicest part of the movie.

Overall a sad story. The shootout was pretty harrowing. I think I yelled "GET DOWN!" the moment that guy said "The FBI is right in front of the door!"
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I watched the movie a few weeks ago, after watching the last couple seasons of Longmire... the situation with Native Americans on the reservations was pretty fresh in mind... some of the legal shit seemed weird... like if a white man rapes a native woman on a reservation, the Tribal Police can't do shit because it's a white dude, but the FBI can't do shit because it was on the res? That sounds to me like some serious capacity for lawlessness.

Anyway, the movie was decent. Seeing the Olsen chick's ass was the nicest part of the movie.

Overall a sad story. The shootout was pretty harrowing. I think I yelled "GET DOWN!" the moment that guy said "The FBI is right in front of the door!"
View Quote
No, race is not part of the law nor did this happen in the movie.  You need to watch the movie again, you missed a lot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shame that the FBI chick dies at the end
View Quote
You must be thinking of a different movie...
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL, who ever told you that is Wrong.  You will get arrested by Tribal Police, who will then turn you over to the FBI.  FBI will do the investigation and you will catch a Federal Felony.

BikerScout
Sunny AZ
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Lol @ the bodies flying back 12 feet....seriously Hollywood???
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Personally I'd prefer the 6" exit wound with flying bone and lung & heart meat.
But I expect that's more difficult to get right from an effects stand point.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was the coyote in the 2nd scene.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The shootout was fine minus a few impacts that threw guys backwards.

The real story is the coyote actually shot on film in the 2nd scene.

If the PETA types knew they really shot a coyote the wailing and knashing of teeth would be epic.
View Quote
I wondered about that because it looked so real. I thought, damn that is some good CGI.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, it was great to see that in a film like this. Something in both those two scenes really set the tone for the type of character Renner played. I don't know if he's a gun guy in real life, but it would be cool if he was an alright dude you could drink a beer with.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That was the coyote in the 2nd scene.
View Quote
I know - but 450 Marlin goodness!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah, it was great to see that in a film like this. Something in both those two scenes really set the tone for the type of character Renner played. I don't know if he's a gun guy in real life, but it would be cool if he was an alright dude you could drink a beer with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m sure he’s not what Arfcom would consider a gun guy but I know he shoots some because a jackass acquaintance of mine filmed him in the local sportsman’s and then sold the film to tmz. He was so happy when he told me the story and I just wanted to slap the shit out of him for bothering the man.

My money is with yours that he’s be a cool guy to share a drink with. Maybe one day I’ll run into him in the local area.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What an absolutely fantastic and depressing movie that was.
View Quote
Just watched it last night with the $.99 rental and that is an incredibly accurate description.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's a fantastic movie.

You should watch it, despite the couple gun/shooting Hollywood goofs.

The gunfight got much, very, very well done.

...pistol fight with armor
....rifle rounds -soft armor....what armor?
...staying in the fight after being wounded
....reloads under stress
....running out of reloads!
....Good guys answering bad guys question about if they were ok....paying for it.

The only flying backwards, is really the shotgun blast at the door, into armor, coming off the platform.  The .45-70 impacts don't really do that. ...minor movement in the trailer, from the shot through the window.

The reloading table scene is also well done.

The two guys outside the trailer just go down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the scene at 2:00 in the OPs clip makes me never want to watch that movie.  what a terrible effect
It's a fantastic movie.

You should watch it, despite the couple gun/shooting Hollywood goofs.

The gunfight got much, very, very well done.

...pistol fight with armor
....rifle rounds -soft armor....what armor?
...staying in the fight after being wounded
....reloads under stress
....running out of reloads!
....Good guys answering bad guys question about if they were ok....paying for it.

The only flying backwards, is really the shotgun blast at the door, into armor, coming off the platform.  The .45-70 impacts don't really do that. ...minor movement in the trailer, from the shot through the window.

The reloading table scene is also well done.

The two guys outside the trailer just go down.
This.

Two things, one it's a movie.

Two, Renner's rifle represented righteous wrath, it's going to be powerful. Think metaphorically here and realize that the director was painting a picture, not making a tactics AAR for the one tenth of one percent that know how people react to being shot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#33]
FYI, looks like Wind River is available for streaming on Netflix right now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Fell asleep about half way into it this afternoon. I'll watch the second half later tonight.

Is it just me or is the volume on Netflix for this flick really low?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Just saw it yesterday. Not bad.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fell asleep about half way into it this afternoon. I'll watch the second half later tonight.

Is it just me or is the volume on Netflix for this flick really low?
View Quote
Agreed on the volume. It was very apparent when it ended and I started something else. I had it cranked up pretty high.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Wife and I just finished watching it. . . .meh. .

1-yeah, sound was terrible. . . very muddy audio
2-I really don't like it when characters give speeches instead of realistic dialog. . every time "Cory" opens his mouth, he makes a speech. . . cracker, please. . .
3-Graham Greene got old and fat. . . . .but so have I!
4-I knew the security guys were the bad guys because they were white and not a friend to the red man (or woman). . modern stand-in for the jerky frat-boys. . aka universal bad guys: white, hetero-sexual, male.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Just saw it.

Same Netflix volume bug.

If you're easily triggered by your insecurities of white guys being the bad guy...give it a pass. I didn't read into that at all

The rape and shootout scene had me on the edge more than any movie or show I've seen in a long while.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is this on Netflix, Hulu etc?
View Quote
It is on Netflix.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#40]
lol DOE shootout

good movie but I was lol'ing during that entire scene
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Watched it the other night as well. Best movie I've watched in quite a while.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#42]
I thought the shootout was the worst part of the movie. It was like "OK,we haven't had enough action for Michael Bay fans so let's do something absurd".

The funniest part was not being able to get an Indian actress so they got a half-Chinese one,I guess Elizabeth Warren was busy
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:07:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wife and I just finished watching it. . . .meh. .

1-yeah, sound was terrible. . . very muddy audio
2-I really don't like it when characters give speeches instead of realistic dialog. . every time "Cory" opens his mouth, he makes a speech. . . cracker, please. . .
3-Graham Greene got old and fat. . . . .but so have I!
4-I knew the security guys were the bad guys because they were white and not a friend to the red man (or woman). . modern stand-in for the jerky frat-boys. . aka universal bad guys: white, hetero-sexual, male.
View Quote
What, you were expecting black hipster cross dressers working security in fucking Wyoming? That state is white as fuck, if they weren't white I'd be raising eye brows.

Geeze, some of the shit people try to get offended over.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

WORD for word!
ETA: I forgot how ridiculous the bodies flying back from rifle rounds were
View Quote
He was shooting a 45-70. Hitting armor may have a tendency to move one back a bit. Not like they did but nonetheless.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:03:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Wind River is a better movie than those nominated for the Oscar.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:10:47 AM EDT
[#46]
You Olsen fans would like the Oldboy remake.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:25:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is this on Netflix, Hulu etc?
View Quote
Netflix. And it's a good movie.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Kinda this.  The guns are almost a "character" in this film.  Pistols are for fucking around and playing with your friends.  Especially when you are all wearing soft body armor.  Rifles get shit done.  Not like blow people off their feet Get Shit Done.  But still the whole dynamics of a gunfight change when there is some guy out of pistol range with a scoped rifle.  Most of the viewing audience doesn't get the difference so it has to be played up in the movie.  It bothered me a bit but I get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. My thoughts on the "physics" aspect is that it sort of illustrates each character. FBI shoots at Ol' rapin Pete, he gets winged, and scampers away with some weird crab run.
She's definitely a survivor and quite tough, but not wildly competent at her job, at least in that environment.

Dude who's on a mission to kill the rapists, the same kind of guys who may have led to the death of his daughter, brings the fucking pain and has bodies flying.

Scene could have ended with her laying there and the rapist being tracked down, but it didn't.
Kinda this.  The guns are almost a "character" in this film.  Pistols are for fucking around and playing with your friends.  Especially when you are all wearing soft body armor.  Rifles get shit done.  Not like blow people off their feet Get Shit Done.  But still the whole dynamics of a gunfight change when there is some guy out of pistol range with a scoped rifle.  Most of the viewing audience doesn't get the difference so it has to be played up in the movie.  It bothered me a bit but I get it.
Yup.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

He was shooting a 45-70. Hitting armor may have a tendency to move one back a bit. Not like they did but nonetheless.
View Quote
Not even enough to knock you over besides unless they are wearing hard armor which would be pretty unlikely that 45-70 would probably go through those vests like shit through a goose. Just poke a hole right through.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top