Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 160
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Another year of Ham wins and Ferrari disappointment combined with ESPN coverage and halos? Ugggghhhh. I dunno if I'm more disgusted with F1 or the NFL. The two sports that are the reason I bought my giant TV and pay for ridiculous cable packages both made me want to use my TV for target practice in 2017. I'm not hopefull for 2018.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Verstappen will challenge this year.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another year of Ham wins and Ferrari disappointment combined with ESPN coverage and halos? Ugggghhhh. I dunno if I'm more disgusted with F1 or the NFL. The two sports that are the reason I bought my giant TV and pay for ridiculous cable packages both made me want to use my TV for target practice in 2017. I'm not hopefull for 2018.
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m considering canceling cable and no more F1
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hear ya. I've been seriously considering the same. Just tired of the same boring crap and disappointment year after year.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh... and I forgot to add the most boring aspect of all... the farty V6 engines. I don't care if lap times are now lower, the cars still sound like shit and I'll NEVER get used to it. It is so uninspired and stupid. Screw the Euros and their green bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
F1 is starting it's own streaming service like WEC does. No commercials, no bullshit, just pure F1.

That's the reason they are switching from NBC to ESPN, NBC didn't want people to be able to watch F1 in America through another source.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In on 1. My heart is with Ferrari but my head says Hamilton again this year.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do not worry there is still plenty of room for F1 to get even crappier in the future, perhaps we will see 4 cylinder turbos
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do not worry there is still plenty of room for F1 to get even crappier in the future, perhaps we will see 4 cylinder turbos
View Quote
I'm sure. And after that they'll just discontinue combustion engines altogether and just refer everyone to Formula E. I've tried to like Formula E and just can't do it. Just like soccor.

Europe wins again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

F1 is starting it's own streaming service like WEC does. No commercials, no bullshit, just pure F1.

That's the reason they are switching from NBC to ESPN, NBC didn't want people to be able to watch F1 in America through another source.
View Quote
I'm aware, all the more reason to cancel cable, but I still might cancel F1.  I'll probably watch a couple to see the tone of the '18 season.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean like Megatron? I'll 1500 + HP 4cyls all day long
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If F1 starts a streaming service to where I could pay, log in and watch a race, or session whenever I want, I'd be all in for that for a reasonable price.  Now if it's only streaming live, I'm not paying for that, as I can't always be at a computer when F1 is happening, that is why I have DVR...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If F1 starts a streaming service to where I could pay, log in and watch a race, or session whenever I want, I'd be all in for that for a reasonable price.  Now if it's only streaming live, I'm not paying for that, as I can't always be at a computer when F1 is happening, that is why I have DVR...
AFAIK you'll be able to watch replays of previous races whenever you want.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#15]
It would be nice to hear 18,000 RPM NA engines again...

*sigh*

I guess I'll just have to settle for hating Crybaby Hamilton.

The Ol' Crew Chief
F1 Fan since 1987(but maybe not much longer 'cause they sound so crappy)
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea I would like the streaming service if it delivers like you guys are talking about
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As soon as this is available I will look into it.  I want to see just how bad ESPN is first.  Also the cost of the streaming service is a factor too...
View Quote
Has anything been released related to cost/info yet? On the fence about cutting cable... F1, Indy, and IMSA are literally the reason I'm hanging on...
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:09:42 AM EDT
[#19]
im in though i really do think post season + testing and the season should have separate threads.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
im in though i really do think post season + testing and the season should have separate threads.
View Quote
Naaaa we got to run up the post and view count in just one thread
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Where does the line form to bash Hamilton? I’m in...
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Where does the line form to bash Hamilton? I’m in...
View Quote
It must be quite gratifying to be an "anti-fan", someone who cheers *against* someone.....   much easier, and less embarrassing and a lot less public risk than actually choosing someone to cheer "for".

Consider that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#23]
This thread is becoming the line for the toilet.

We haven't even SEEN a 2018 car and not a single lap has been turned yet.

Can we cool it down with all the hate in all directions?

This isn't directed at anyone or any post in particular but if we want new people to participate or for others to come back can we just tone down the negativity until Australia? Please?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This thread is becoming the line for the toilet.

We haven't even SEEN a 2018 car and not a single lap has been turned yet.

Can we cool it down with all the hate in all directions?

This isn't directed at anyone or any post in particular but if we want new people to participate or for others to come back can we just tone down the negativity until Australia? Please?
View Quote
Are we all supposed to just "coexist" and be cheerleaders? Some of us have been following F1 for many years and watched things go downhill. We can all choose to ignore the elephants in the room, but that won't make them go away. We're just being realistic about the direction that the sport continues to take. Hopefully the Liberty group can fix it. At least there's that little bit of hope.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#25]
The official Arfcom 2018 F1 mascot:

Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Are we all supposed to just "coexist" and be cheerleaders? Some of us have been following F1 for many years and watched things go downhill. We can all choose to ignore the elephants in the room, but that won't make them go away. We're just being realistic about the direction that the sport continues to take. Hopefully the Liberty group can fix it. At least there's that little bit of hope.
View Quote
We're not supposed to be cheerleaders for each other but guess what, the sky isn't falling either. Hamilton and Merc haven't won a single race or pole position in 2018. Ferrari hasn't had one bad pit strategy this season. Hulkenberg hasn't blown a great qualifying position yet sucking all hope away from his first podium.

Yes, the off-season is the silly-season but let's talk about rumors for 2018 or F1 history and not just talk about how shitty 2018 is going to be.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I try to remain pessimistic all the time, that way I’m pleasantly surprised more often.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I try to remain pessimistic all the time, that way I’m pleasantly surprised more often.
View Quote
That is...something I might need to try.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't forget there's a new Formula 1 logo.

https://i.imgur.com/FDJkhCk.jpg
View Quote
I never liked the F1 logo.  There's a couple aspects about it that don't work for the graphic designer in me.

The new one is better, though still not perfect.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As soon as this is available I will look into it.  I want to see just how bad ESPN is first.  Also the cost of the streaming service is a factor too...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can always use ace stream to watch SKY F1 like I do
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Fuck the HALO
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fuck the HALO
View Quote
Okay, I think we're ALL in agreement on this.

Do we have any non-devil's-advocate halo supporters??

Come out and face your beating.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
You just described my outlook perfectly. Because reality is often pessimistic in nature. So whenever things turn out to be better than expected, it's usually a big surprise.

Also, past trends are often a good predictor of future trends.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Zactly! Like I said... Halos suck. V6s suck. The FIA sucks. Ferrari blows races. Merc's dominance is far beyond old.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Zactly! Like I said... Halos suck. V6s suck. The FIA sucks. Ferrari blows races. Merc's dominance is far beyond old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Mercedes dominance issue is a tough one.

It does suck to see one team dominate to this degree.  However, it's certainly not a new phenomenon.  We've seen eras of dominance from Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, and Red Bull.  To a smaller degree, Renault as well.

Mercedes dominance is most similar to the Red Bull/Vettel era, though to a higher degree, and for a longer period, I think.  I'd have to research the results and lap times.

What I don't want to see is the FIA stick it to Mercedes specifically.  I'd rather see a solution where they allow all teams to improve between, and throughout the seasons.  Maybe allow more changes and testing.  If Mercedes takes better advantage of this, then so be it.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the FIA made rules changes that were specifically aimed at breaking RBR's dominance.

I don't want the FIA to pick favorites, even if it would benefit my favorite teams and drivers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck Hamilton, I hope he crashes out every race and continues being such a crybaby. How Mercedes has been allowed to get away with their performance while the heads of F1 look the other way is interesting. Always been a Kimi fan regardless of what team he drives for.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do this whenever I can watch a race live. Much better coverage than listing to senile old Hobbo fuck up everything and Matchett drone on about "when I was at Benetton, blah, blah, blah"

I have high hopes for the streaming service from F1. The one saving grace of the ugly ass halo may be the ability to fill it with cameras. Being able to switch from car to car with multiple angles would be miles better than relying on the world feed.

I can almost guarantee ESPN will butcher it. I remember when they took over the US Open and let Chris Berman announce. My god was it aweful. He didn't know the difference between "hitting 3" and "lying 3" so he couldn't keep score and kept calling hybrids "high-birds"
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks like Kubica won't be making a return to F1.

Formula 1: Williams finalising Sergey Sirotkin 2018 drive

A 19 year old and a 22 year old, what could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's too bad. I was hoping he would get the job. I'm sure Sergey is bringing a lot of money to the team.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck the HALO

Not gonna happen, even if there were.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am depressed. I was really holding out for his return. I have Williams merch in my amazon cart waiting to be purchased.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck the HALO

Line the entire thing with cameras and allow me to switch from car to car and I'll be a fan.  Add virtual reality viewing and dub over sounds from the early 2000's era V10 engines and I'll forget what the open cockpit cars ever looked like.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Line the entire thing with cameras and allow me to switch from car to car and I'll be a fan.  Add virtual reality viewing and dub over sounds from the early 2000's era V10 engines and I'll forget what the open cockpit cars ever looked like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck the HALO

Touche!
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Mercedes dominance issue is a tough one.

It does suck to see one team dominate to this degree.  However, it's certainly not a new phenomenon.  We've seen eras of dominance from Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, and Red Bull.  To a smaller degree, Renault as well.

Mercedes dominance is most similar to the Red Bull/Vettel era, though to a higher degree, and for a longer period, I think.  I'd have to research the results and lap times.

What I don't want to see is the FIA stick it to Mercedes specifically.  I'd rather see a solution where they allow all teams to improve between, and throughout the seasons.  Maybe allow more changes and testing.  If Mercedes takes better advantage of this, then so be it.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the FIA made rules changes that were specifically aimed at breaking RBR's dominance.

I don't want the FIA to pick favorites, even if it would benefit my favorite teams and drivers.
View Quote
I totally agree. I don't want rules aimed at anyone in particular. I want winners to be legit winners. Even if the winner is your team/driver, it's hollow if they were carried by an organization. I was a Seb guy even when he was at RBR, so I was mostly happy then. But part of that happiness was badass sounding V8s. Between that being history and Merc's dominance... the past four years have been a beat-down for me and honestly, I get more excited about WEC racing than F1 any more. I used to have all of this anticipation leading up to F1 season (same with the NFL). But the past few years, I almost dread putting myself through another season (in both sports). I'm pretty much done with the NFL, and don't think that I'll last much longer in F1 if things don't get jumbled a bit. The boring predictability of it all is brutal.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
that is a shame
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
that is a shame
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is a shame
It is a shame but at the same time I appreciate new blood getting into F1. Seeing Kubica race again would have been amazing, but I'd be so disappointed if he did it in a car fighting for single-digit points and then have people questioning whether he was fit to return.

I also imagine there is quite the financial incentive to bring in a Russian driver, and it sounds like money Williams needs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It is a shame but at the same time I appreciate new blood getting into F1. Seeing Kubica race again would have been amazing, but I'd be so disappointed if he did it in a car fighting for single-digit points and then have people questioning whether he was fit to return.

I also imagine there is quite the financial incentive to bring in a Russian driver, and it sounds like money Williams needs.
View Quote
Much as I like Kubica, he's 33 and hasn't raced an F1 car in 7 years. Can't say I'm surprised the team has a different plan.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Negative....   on this we fully agree.  Open cockpit cars are for real men.  Closed cockpit pussies need not apply and the Halo is an attempt to emasculate the purity of the Open Cockpit/Open Wheel Perfection that began 72 years ago, known as Formula One.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top