Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen this movie. (Obviously I've heard of it and know it's famous.)

Maybe I'll crack a few beers tonight and check it out.

Just missed it, I guess.  Haven't seen one negative comment in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Never seen that, thank you for posting, and not guilty.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

One of the few movies that I own.  I don't know one woman that likes it.  
View Quote
My wife loves it. . .
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Amazon has digital copy if you have amazon prime.
View Quote
I've looked, but they keep changing things, I'll look again and if it's available I'll be watching it sooner than I thought.  Thanks  
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The movie helped fuel my FRD

Flintlock Rifle Disease.....Honestly until you have and master a Flintlock Long Rifle or Smooth Bore you have no concept of what it took to found this country and fight for independence with the MSR of the day.

DDL worked for weeks and throughout the move with Mark Baker, learning to master the time period clothing ,weapons, etc.

Yes it is a great movie!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to emulate Magua's speech in French class and drive my teachers up the damn wall.

One of my favorite movies of all time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
For the old farts, that movie is now 25 years old

I think Michael Mann has a special place in his heart for that movie considering when he was asked to make a commercial from the NFL...

NFL NIKE Commercial - Live Nothing
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live close to where the fort was. I remember a lot of extras around here in town as well (indians). Also remember at the time of an ad in the paper ( movie was made before Internet lol) needing extras for filming some of the night time action scenes... $50 a day to dress in a French/ British soldier uniform and run around in NC Summer heat? Not No, but Hell No....lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Filmed that at Chimney Rock not 10 miles from my old house.The fort scene was filmed at Lake James

I remember when they were filming it,Indians everywhere in Asheville for awhile.Lots of extras

You can go up to the water fall and the rock face where they shot the final scenes,pretty cool
I live close to where the fort was. I remember a lot of extras around here in town as well (indians). Also remember at the time of an ad in the paper ( movie was made before Internet lol) needing extras for filming some of the night time action scenes... $50 a day to dress in a French/ British soldier uniform and run around in NC Summer heat? Not No, but Hell No....lol
$50,yeah no thanks.

Anyone who is in the area to visit i recommend visiting Chimney Rock Park and walk the upper trail to where the fight scene was filmed.

The view is one of a kind,along with being in the same spot as the movie.The lower falls trail is highly recommended as well.Great day for the family.

The Opera box really cool too.Lots of walking so be in shape to see it all.

https://www.chimneyrockpark.com/
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of my favourite movies. Now someone post a vid of the hot skinny violin chick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbu8bh7SWk
Well, now I'm in love
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
One of my favorite movies.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think Chingachgook got injured filming that scene. He was limping a little, probably from a wounded knee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, not when you put it like that.

Someone else did his murderin' ass in, not me.
I think Chingachgook got injured filming that scene. He was limping a little, probably from a wounded knee.
Dude, that was sooo bad.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An epic picture I thought.  It's funny that the Indian wars in the west are so celebrated.

The battles in the East were much larger, longer, and more casualties on both sides.
View Quote
The landscape is much more open out west, less places to set up ambushes.
Think about forest and mountains, a 100 ways and places to set up an ambush, hence more dead
As the brits are marching out they come under attack from the indians who are under 50 yards away but are still not seen?

The American indians weren't called savages for noting back then, they did things which are war crimes now
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oddly, back in the 90's, my then pre-teenage stepdaughter was obsessed with the movie. She couldn't get enough of it.
View Quote
My wife very rarely speaks about how good looking various men are, but bring up Last of the Mohicans and she will get all dreamy eyed and you will hear how much of a hunk she thought Daniel Day Lewis was in the movie.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Magua was a tragic character, and you could almost see what pushed him over the edge.

Or maybe it was just me..
View Quote
One of the best movie villains of all time. Wes Studi is a Hell of an actor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Think about forest and mountains, a 100 ways and places to set up an ambush, hence more dead
As the brits are marching out they come under attack from the indians who are under 50 yards away but are still not seen?

The American indians weren't called savages for noting back then, they did things which are war crimes now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An epic picture I thought.  It's funny that the Indian wars in the west are so celebrated.

The battles in the East were much larger, longer, and more casualties on both sides.

EVERYBODY did things back then which are war crimes now.

You couldn't take a shit without committing a war crime.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#16]
One of my favorite movies. One of the few movies that was BETTER than the book it was adapted from -IMHO.

To me, the story and cinematography are a peek into America's heritage of individualism and endurance. People (colonists and the indigenous) survived, lived and thrived by reaping the fruits of their own labor and by learning to make more good decisions than bad. No guarantees, no insurance, no social safety net, no welfare, no EPA, OSHA, FDA, Consumer Protection Agency, FDIC.

It was a hard life, it wasn't fair, it was a life you lived on your own terms in a primeval wilderness where each sunset was a personal celebration for surviving the day and of the satisfaction in what you had built for yourself and your own.

21st century America has lost that
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, now I'm in love
View Quote
Last of the Mohicans Theme Livingroom

She has some rather nice legs as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Trevor Jones, composer of the music, conducting Last of the Mohicans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGxdBzjuGw

Yulia Iglinova at 2:48 - you're welcome

By most accounts, there were on average at least 20 takes for each set-up. Such lengthy shootings (and the ensuing costs) would account for 20th Century Fox sending a Rep to do nothing except stand behind Michael Mann, the director,  and say, "That's enough Michael, move on." Many long nights were spent filming the siege scenes. Due to the expansive area involved, loudspeakers were installed around the battlefield and fort so directions could be easily given to the hundreds of cast and crew. One night after many long hours  Mann was heard to shout over the speakers, "What's that orange light? Turn out that orange light!" After a pause an assistant director came over the speakers stating, "That's the SUN, Michael."
View Quote
When someone earlier in the thread mentioned a hot violinist, I assumed he had been talking about Yulia Iglinova
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$50,yeah no thanks.

Anyone who is in the area to visit i recommend visiting Chimney Rock Park and walk the upper trail to where the fight scene was filmed.

The view is one of a kind,along with being in the same spot as the movie.The lower falls trail is highly recommended as well.Great day for the family.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Filmed that at Chimney Rock not 10 miles from my old house.The fort scene was filmed at Lake James

I remember when they were filming it,Indians everywhere in Asheville for awhile.Lots of extras

You can go up to the water fall and the rock face where they shot the final scenes,pretty cool
$50,yeah no thanks.

It is a PERFECT movie filmed in a breathtaking area less than an hour from my home.

Mann knocked it out of the park with this film.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The book was pretty good too...

Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
From my neighbor's (private) property there's a hiking trail up to Lookout Rock and Edge of the World. They've talked about building a trail into CR state park from there, which would be freakin' awesome.

Howdy neighbor
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
From my neighbor's (private) property there's a hiking trail up to Lookout Rock and Edge of the World. They've talked about building a trail into CR state park from there, which would be freakin' awesome.

Howdy neighbor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howdy neighbor
That would be cool and well worth the work

Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One of my favorite movies. One of the few movies that was BETTER than the book it was adapted from -IMHO.

To me, the story and cinematography are a peek into America's heritage of individualism and endurance. People (colonists and the indigenous) survived, lived and thrived by reaping the fruits of their own labor and by learning to make more good decisions than bad. No guarantees, no insurance, no social safety net, no welfare, no EPA, OSHA, FDA, Consumer Protection Agency, FDIC.

It was a hard life, it wasn't fair, it was a life you lived on your own terms in a primeval wilderness where each sunset was a personal celebration for surviving the day and of the satisfaction in what you had built for yourself and your own.

21st century America has lost that
View Quote
Then again, average life expectancy during that period was around 36 years old so odds are that DDL's character have been dead from something horrible like smallpox or gangrene by the time the story started.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Braveheart, English Patient, Rob Roy, Last of the Mohicans. All 90's classics.

Funny thing is a lot kids in their 20's haven't seen these films.

I recently played these for my younger cousins who are just out of college. They were totally mesmerized.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Watched it.

Good flick.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The directors cut screwed up the music in a few spots I feel.  Honestly I like the theatrical the best and I normally am a hug directors cut person.  Not with this one.
View Quote
Totally agree with everything you said. I really wish they'd release the theatrical on a digital format (US, I know there's a Euro region DVD)
Gotta make do with this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Incredible movie, wife and I both enjoy watching it every few months. To me it demonstrates (amongst other things) how powerful a man's love can be and what lengths he'll go to save the woman he loves.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Totally agree with everything you said. I really wish they'd release the theatrical on a digital format (US, I know there's a Euro region DVD)
Gotta make do with this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3053/IMG_0978-393074.JPG
View Quote
WTH is that black plastic thing?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is odd, I can't think of a single woman I know who doesnt love it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The soundtrack is awesome.

This vid has bagpipes.  and Royal Marines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsC6pexViR0
View Quote
I'm sorry, if it isn't played by a smoking hot RennFaire chick in a fur bra and a taut bare midriff, it just ain't right...  She ruined that song for other fiddlers forever!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

WTH is that black plastic thing?
View Quote
The only way you can see the Theatrical version of the movie in the US...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's not really true but it sounds pretty good.

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My G/F really loves this movie. I can take it or leave it, ive watched it once but not a movie i have to own.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned that the actor who played Magua (Wes Studi), was ALSO in our favorite movie "Heat"! Played the detective who shoots Val Kilmer in the bank shootout

Y'all are slipping, GD !
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned that the actor who played Magua (Wes Studi), was ALSO in our favorite movie "Heat"! Played the detective who shoots Val Kilmer in the bank shootout

Y'all are slipping, GD !
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The movie helped fuel my FRD

Flintlock Rifle Disease.....Honestly until you have and master a Flintlock Long Rifle or Smooth Bore you have no concept of what it took to found this country and fight for independence with the MSR of the day.

DDL worked for weeks and throughout the move with Mark Baker, learning to master the time period clothing ,weapons, etc.

Yes it is a great movie!!!!!
View Quote
I need to get this thing off the wall for an afternoon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Daniel Day-Lewis isn't in many movies because he will be the character he is acting 2-3 years in real life prior to the the filming of the movie.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Y'all are slipping, GD !
View Quote
He's also in a new western themed movie with Christian Bale called Hostiles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#38]
That violin portion of the soundtrack, originally The Gael, is just amazing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#39]
One of my top 10 movies
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I took my family on a Last of the Mohicans waterfall tour in North Carolina a few years back. So yeah, I like the film.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For the old farts, that movie is now 25 years old

I think Michael Mann has a special place in his heart for that movie considering when he was asked to make a commercial from the NFL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTfz_5TAtwU
View Quote
When I coached youth football, I used the music in all our highlight videos.  Music starts around 01:30

ROGERS SAINTS 2009 HIGHLIGHTS
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Y'all are slipping, GD !
View Quote
He was also the Sphinx in 'Mystery Men'

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Many years ago, my grandfather asked me why I was so interested in the family history on my moms side of the family. He said I should learn about my dads side of the family, so I did. I don't know if I should be proud of the fact that Magua is based on my direct ancestor. I'm thinking probably not since he was kind of sadistic...
View Quote
He was at least a relatable villain. I could understand and even sympathize with his cause even though I was supposed to hate him.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes, great great great movie and fantastic score to go along with it.

I always thought the younger sister, Alice (played by Jodhi May), was absolutely stunning.

https://seniwatizaiton.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/jodhi-may-wp41.jpg
View Quote
She was indeed. The scene where she throws herself off the mountain....that last haunting look remained in memory.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Daniel Day-Lewis isn't in many movies because he will be the character he is acting 2-3 years in real life prior to the the filming of the movie.
View Quote
So he spent 2-3 years walking around talking like Daniel Plainview? That is an amusing picture.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He was also the Sphinx in 'Mystery Men'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuUopTPgjOI
View Quote
He was very mysterious.

Underrated movie.  Silly, but underrated.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Dude, that was sooo bad.
View Quote
you've brightened my day by getting it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Magua was a tragic character, and you could almost see what pushed him over the edge.

Or maybe it was just me..
View Quote
It must have been the non stop clubbing
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I read somewhere that before they started filming, DDL lived out in the forest for weeks like his character would have.

He really takes his acting seriously.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My now ex-wife and some friends saw it in the theater. We all left in silence, more than a little stunned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Must be viewed on a large screen.
The geographic cinematography is epic.
My now ex-wife and some friends saw it in the theater. We all left in silence, more than a little stunned.
It needs a big screen to be appreciated.
Page / 4
Top Top