Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2017 8:19:58 PM EDT
I realized today that outside of business related phone calls, scheduling appointments, etc, that I haven't had a casual conversation over the phone for almost a decade now. It's way easier to carry on a casual conversation with friends/loved ones via text message because lapses in conversation aren't anywhere near as awkward as they would be on an actual call, don't feel compelled to lead the conversation, can just have it through out the day instead of setting aside a certain amount of time for it and everything else.

Or maybe I'm just a hipster millennial that needs to get off the lawn and have actual conversations like people did back in the old day.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
fp.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Implicit communication, when possible, is generally a superior form to explicit communication.  

But seriously...I am glad there is no cell reception for 50 miles from the ranch.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes and no. It's the best way to convey information that is important to know and maintain.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Or maybe I'm just a hipster millennial that needs to get off the lawn and have actual conversations like people did back in the old day.
View Quote
There it is
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It became my default mode of communication as soon as smartphones with full keyboards became commonplace among the masses. Prior to that, is was a giant pain in the ass and not worth the effort.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish my grandmother could text. Every time I call her, its ateast 2 hours of the same shit she told me last time I called.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope. Contributes to more misunderstanding etc, people can't hear your voice inflictions nor see facial expressions; you have to word your message very carefully otherwise people will get offended. I find many people ignore texts and emails, so a voice call is the best if you care communicating one-on-one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my customers just told me I email too much.
"Just text me. It's way easier and I'm more likely to see it."

The only time I use email in a business environment now is when it needs to be sent to a large team group.
Even then, internally we are using MS teams, not email. Just using email for external customers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
It has its place but it's far from the best form.
If I need something done right I use actual verbal communication.
If I think it can be done properly in text I'll use e-mail.
If all I need to do is confirm or convey inconsequential information I'll text.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
One of our worst inventions to date. It is so easy to get into trouble with texting.  (Don't even get me going on email)
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It became my default mode of communication as soon as smartphones with full keyboards became commonplace among the masses. Prior to that, is was a giant pain in the ass and not worth the effort.
View Quote
t9 texting was abysmal.

Now, probably 80 percent of my communication is done via text, 15 percent via email and 5 percent in phone calls.

I only call when a text session has gone awry or when I answer someone calling me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nope. Contributes to more misunderstanding etc, people can't hear your voice inflictions nor see facial expressions; you have to word your message very carefully otherwise people will get offended. I find many people ignore texts and emails, so a voice call is the best if you care communicating one-on-one.
View Quote
Oddly, I ignore most phone calls but respond to texts virtually instantly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#13]
If it's important I like a old fashion phone call, but not after 9:00. I'm in bed at 9:00
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If I have something short to say then a text will do.
An actual conversation, I want to hear your voice.

People are losing the ability to have an actual conversation.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I use texts to ask simple questions, confirm reception of a message, and to transmit data.

Anything more complex or open-ended gets a phone call.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Apparently I suck at texting my wife sometimes as we misinterprete things a lot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I like that you can answer when you're ready as opposed to being put on the spot or having to take a call when you're busy doing something else.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't call me and definitely don't leave a voicemail.

If it's important send a text.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#19]
List of communications that people have complained about in order:

Printing Press
Telegraph
Telephone
Television

Then

Texting.

It won't ever stop. As long as there's something new Old hipsters say shit like "well back in my day" Just like young hipsters say shit like "I was into them before they were cool".  Same coin different ages.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't call me and definitely don't leave a voicemail.

If it's important send a text.
View Quote
Visual voicemail ftw.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought I'd never be a texter years ago, that's changed.

Now I rather you text me and I'll reply back when I'm ready, shoot I can even do a full convo texting.
It's even better when you're around people who might be nosy and try to listen in on what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Texting can take days to have a conversation that would take minutes with a call.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I hate texting. I email and call, prefer phone calls. If you're writing a message I expect email, I get it to my phone just the same as a text and it's an all around better medium in which to communicate.

I have a terrible habit of not texting people back so I prefer people don't text. Write me a physical letter and I'm more likely to respond to that than I am to your text, I'm not really sure why. I'm 25 fwiw.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's me. You can leave me a voicemail. Of course if my kid, brother, parents or work calls I'll answer. Add in I have an Apple watch so I can just glance at the message real quick makes it even better
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Texting can take days to have a conversation that would take minutes with a call.
View Quote
Conversely, it can take seconds to convey what would take minutes with a call, in practice.

Right tool for the job, and all that. It's situationally dependent, like anything else.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Conversely, it can take seconds to convey what would take minutes with a call, in practice.

Right tool for the job, and all that. It's situationally dependent, like anything else.
View Quote
This.

My daughter, three granddaughters and I use Wickr Me, and we're very happy with it.

(Fuck you, NSA ........... I fart in your general direction.)
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#27]
For me texting and E-mail is far better as I'm now legally deaf and hearing aids I just got ain't all cracked up as they said it would be.

Far better to read and understand than try to talk in phone, especially in noisy areas. And I can go back and review it, particularly if there is a list to be gotten.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep. Talking on the phone is the worst thing in the world.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#29]
It it is except for really personal conversations.

It never fails that I have my hands full and someone calls me. Also I prefer to have a paper trail.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Gal sent me this text:  Want to go watch Northwest College play?

I assumed a basketball game so said sure.

Got to her house and come to find out she meant a theater production of It's a Wonderful Life.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Text.  Dont bother calling
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#33]
For quick questions with a single yes or no answer; yes.

For anything more than one single question, a phone call is much better.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I like that you can answer when you're ready as opposed to being put on the spot or having to take a call when you're busy doing something else.
View Quote
Plus you have time to formulate your answer.  Important when dealing with women.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Phone conversations are turning obsolete.

They are never convenient. How do you talk and drive?

I always forget the important items. i.e. someone gives you an address, you have to write it down.

sometimes you cannot talk.

etc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, I love it. I've slowly conditioned all my clients to text me ilo calling.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife linked my phone to my laptop and now I can text via full QWERTY keyboard

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My wife linked my phone to my laptop and now I can text via full QWERTY keyboard

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/10/tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif
View Quote
I do this as well. My text messages show up on my laptop (which I'm almost always in front of), so for me, texting is really more like using IM most of the time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I like texting.

I hate when people leave voicemail messages.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife went deaf in her 30's, so...yeah.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wish my grandmother could text. Every time I call her, its ateast 2 hours of the same shit she told me last time I called.
View Quote
Imagine that, but with texting, your phone would be a Christmas tree
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes and no. It's the best way to convey information that is important to know and maintain.
View Quote
Its also good to use on people who take a 5 minute phone call to relay 15 seconds of info. I dont answer the people in my life who are like that. I tell em to text me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Lord no, no one wants to or needs to read every thought that comes out of the typical serial texter's brain.

And send all assholes...............well, they should be shot. Twice.

99.9% of all texts seem to be ego driven and not very informational. It seems to be a lot of ''look at me!" and usually somewhat short on actual useful info.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I fucking HATE talking in the phone. Texting for me. I’d say I’m about 90% text, 9% email, 1% calls.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Text.  Dont bother calling
View Quote
This. (mostly)
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a problem only if you are inarticulate, and can't express yourself clearly in grammatical North American English.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
One of our worst inventions to date. It is so easy to get into trouble with texting.  (Don't even get me going on email)
View Quote
"Get in trouble" how?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#49]
No.

Arfcom is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes.  Quick and you reply when you're ready. But some people suck at responding back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top