Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/3/2017 7:14:09 AM EDT
Sorry if this is a dupe; i did a search first, but...

A disabled Navy veteran said Wednesday he declined to accept an award at a New Orleans Saints game due to the controversy over players protesting during the national anthem.

The Saints organization was going to honor retired Cmdr. John Wells, the executive director of Military Veterans Advocacy, with the Peoples Health Champion award during last week’s game in New Orleans, according to The Advocate.

He told the organization he was unable to accept the award at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome because of the anthem protests. Saints players have been seen kneeling before the anthem and some continue during the national anthem.
View Quote
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/11/03/disabled-navy-vet-refuses-to-receive-award-from-saints-over-national-anthem-protests.html

All i can say, is well done Sailor. It is refreshing to see more people call out this BS, though sad that ti means he wont get to be publicly honored. Personally, i am more than done with the NFL, and am all too happy to see people sticking it to em.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Good for standing for what you believe, Sir.

Just waiting now for him to be called a racist.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for him.

Screw the damn nfl. Let them keep losing supporters.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Good on that man.  Fuck the NFL.  I hope they are bankrupt by December.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Good
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good for standing for what you believe, Sir.

Just waiting now for him to be called a racist.
View Quote
I wish he would have showed up to the game and walked onto the field only to refuse the award in front of thousands and explain why.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
As a Saints fan.....good for him.   Screw’em.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#7]
good on him
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#8]
You can send Cmdr. Wells a note of support here:

http://www.johnwellslaw.com/index-5.html
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#9]
He might have been able to use the platform to publicly shame them (had he been allowed to speak at the ceremony), but . . . good for him telling them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Done.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wish he would have showed up to the game and walked onto the field only to refuse the award in front of thousands and explain why.
View Quote
Eh.. i am sure they would have had a camera/audio "glitch" as soon as they figured out what he was saying.  No way they would let him use their glorious sacred podium for that....
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I suspect they were intending to try to deflect some of the "disrespecting the flag" criticism by honoring a vet.  Wise of him to not allow them to steal his good name and honor to boost their own.  And as far as getting recognized, his name is now known by more people for his honorable stand that would have ever heard of him otherwise.

ETA:  His name is Cmdr. John Wells.

“Although I am touched and honored to be selected for such an award, the ongoing controversy with NFL players' disrespect for the national flag forces me to decline to participate in the presentation,” Wells said. "I am unable, in good conscience, to enter an NFL stadium while this discourtesy prevails. Since this award is tainted with the dishonorable actions of the NFL and its players, I cannot accept it.”

Wells served in the Navy from 1972 to 1994 and afterward became an attorney concentrating in military and veterans law, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. He was set to receive the award given by Medicare to senior citizens who have made significant accomplishments.

The Saints said in a statement Thursday they were disappointed by Wells’ decision.

“We will not allow Mr. Wells' decision and subsequent media appearances to distract our players and organization from continuing to honor and support our military and veterans. We, as an organization, have decided to move on from this sad and divisive discourse and focus our attention on supporting our military and veterans.”
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Page Not Found
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Page Not Found
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page Not Found
Hit the link at the bottom that says Contact.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
“We will not allow Mr. Wells' decision and subsequent media appearances to distract our players and organization from continuing to honor and support our military and veterans. We, as an organization, have decided to move on from this sad and divisive discourse and focus our attention on supporting our military and veterans.”
View Quote
JFC, the gobldygook newspeak bullshit that they use. Distract your players and org from continuing WHAT??  He's pointing out your lack of honor and support for military and veterans and that's your response? Who do they think they are bullshitting??
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#18]

The Saints said in a statement Thursday they were disappointed by Wells’ decision.

View Quote
So, the Saints' position is that it is WELLS who is the problem here, and not them. It is WELLS that is "divisive", and not them.
THEY support the country by their antics during the Anthem, and WELLS is the "distraction".

Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Wow NFL - that statement is a lie as long as you allow your players to disrespect our country!

By your actions - you put Micheal Brown above all the vets - Please move to the sand box and pound some sand.

Red
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Bullshit! They are trying to ignore the problem and hope it goes away. Sorry NFL, but can't just pretend most of your employees are out of control douchebags.

Good for that sailor for doing right by his fellow servicemen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Well done Sir.

Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
A fine piece of slick corporate PR newspeak and redirection you sanctimonious corporate pricks. You do not honor our Veterans and Military when you disrespect our National colors.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#23]
November is going to be rough month for the NFL as they try to market their "Salute to Service" gear.  

My checkbook has decided to take a knee.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done.
He responded to my note. So he is getting them.

Bravo Zulu Cmdr. Wells!
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
November is going to be rough month for the NFL as they try to market their "Salute to Service" gear.  

My checkbook has decided to take a knee.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374309/NFL_Gear-351766.JPG
View Quote
Into the trash it goes! Anti-American cultural Marxism or patriotic support of our military. you can’t have it both ways NFL, though you are sure as hell trying.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#26]
sad that ti means he wont get to be publicly honored.
View Quote

Sounds to me like he DGAF.  
Good job Commander.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wow NFL - that statement is a lie as long as you allow your players to disrespect our country!

By your actions - you put Micheal Brown above all the vets - Please move to the sand box and pound some sand.

Red
View Quote
That's the problem.. they don't see the disrespect, so they don't care.  In their minds, they were the disrespected one (oh, those poor millionaire thugs) and they should be seen as the oppressed and down trodden.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#29]
The Saints all stand for the anthem. The owner got pissed when a couple of them sat for it....

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Statement-from-New-Orleans-Saints-Owner-Tom-Benson/1606675f-7b5e-4ef5-b22b-2b5f7442b5d4
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
After reading the article this morning that was my first thought as well. Blast them right in the face on TV.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Standing for what is right rather than being used by the NFL entertainment cabal is righteous act.
Keeping the faith
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

After reading the article this morning that was my first thought as well. Blast them right in the face on TV.
View Quote
The TV would have cut him off
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I suspect they were intending to try to deflect some of the "disrespecting the flag" criticism by honoring a vet.  Wise of him to not allow them to steal his good name and honor to boost their own.  And as far as getting recognized, his name is now known by more people for his honorable stand that would have ever heard of him otherwise.

“Although I am touched and honored to be selected for such an award, the ongoing controversy with NFL players' disrespect for the national flag forces me to decline to participate in the presentation,” Wells said. "I am unable, in good conscience, to enter an NFL stadium while this discourtesy prevails. Since this award is tainted with the dishonorable actions of the NFL and its players, I cannot accept it.”

Wells served in the Navy from 1972 to 1994 and afterward became an attorney concentrating in military and veterans law, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. He was set to receive the award given by Medicare to senior citizens who have made significant accomplishments.

View Quote
You are correct, sir!

This makes me:

Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Been a Saints fan since 1969 and I'm so disappointed in them protesting America that I refuse to watch their games anymore.

They are not welcome in my house or on my TV's.

They are dead to me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Saints all stand for the anthem. The owner got pissed when a couple of them sat for it....

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Statement-from-New-Orleans-Saints-Owner-Tom-Benson/1606675f-7b5e-4ef5-b22b-2b5f7442b5d4
View Quote
Benson needs to nut up and release those players.
Let’s see who screams mercy first when these overpaid idiots have to go get a real job.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#36]
WELL DONE Commander!

Bravo Zulu!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Most excellent.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
It doesn't matter what one team does because its both the players Union and owner association who condone the actions.
They both are Involved and that means it's systemic from the top down.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Good man.  Fuck the Saints!  Given the kneeling and Payton's gun comments, I have a client (owner of a workboat company) who just got rid of his box.  Although it was used mostly as a marketing tool for him, he said that he has previously "always wants to go" clients who are no interested.

He said that people are NOT beating down his door to buy it, as they have for friends who sold theirs, when the oil industry tanked.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter what one team does because its both the players Union and owner association who condone the actions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree for the most part, although I do feel bad for the players who don't kneel. You can tell it they just want this bullshit to go away.

The article said "some players continue to kneel" when talking about the Saints, which is flat untrue. That's why I took the time to post the article.

Good on the vet btw....I find it amusing they encourage free expression until the shoe is on the other foot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
good for him

Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So, the Saints' position is that it is WELLS who is the problem here, and not them. It is WELLS that is "divisive", and not them.
THEY support the country by their antics during the Anthem, and WELLS is the "distraction".

Unbelievable.
View Quote
Unbelievable. I've seen a lot of poo-pooing of the notion of a civil/race war in this country on this site over the years. But if this shit keeps up...

Btw... my coworker was just telling me some story about Larry Fitzgerald (WR for AZ) ran over and picked-up a soldier's hat when it blew off or something to that effect. I hope that's true. I've always liked him and it seems like his parents raised him right (unlike so many other NFL players of "diversity").
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree for the most part, although I do feel bad for the players who don't kneel. You can tell it they just want this bullshit to go away.

The article said "some players continue to kneel" when talking about the Saints, which is flat untrue. That's why I took the time to post the article.

Good on the vet btw....I find it amusing they encourage free expression until the shoe is on the other foot.
View Quote
I hope you're right about that. It would be nice to know that there are at least SOME salvageable souls/minds left in the NFL.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting. Glad that there are a few owners will some balls and convictions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Good for him.  Glad to see there are still a few people with balls to stand up to the fucktards of the world.  Fuck the NFL and all their sponsors.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I emailed a brief note of support to Commander Wells, he responded with his thanks.

Guys like that don't just need our support, they need to HEAR IT TOO.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's a bump because this guy needs a hand salute from all veterans..
ALSO... I fixed the link.. try again with this one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was nice to see.

I don't feel bad for any player or owners. Unity with the bad apples have already spoiled the bunch.
It's a shame, I'm sure there are players that are against the protesters but for the life of me I cant think of any.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#50]
The Aints are full of shit. Bravo Cmdr!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top