Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/31/2017 8:02:51 AM EDT
Story Here

Apparently if we kick out the Dacas we will lose 20,000 teachers. Apparently there is NO FUCKING JOB that Americans will do anymore....
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Apparently there is NO FUCKING JOB that Americans will do anymore....
View Quote

I wouldn't work as a teacher in Dekalb county.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The teacher "shortage" is actually a lack of teachers willing to take entry level jobs in shit districts. Post an opening for a grade school teacher in an affluent district and you suddenly have thousands of applications.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Americans will do any job if firms pay the corresponding market price.

If firms are unwilling to pay, they can hire politicians to import replacement labor and drive prices down.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Kick out the illegals, then kick the worthless fucks off welfare..they will find a job and stop being a drain on society...
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would I go to college to earn $20k a year?

dont know how you are going to fix it though, I mean the only way to pay teachers more is to tax the living fuck out of the people who live in the district, which typically makes people move away. then you are back to square one
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The teacher "shortage" is actually a lack of teachers willing to take entry level jobs in shit districts. Post an opening for a grade school teacher in an affluent district and you suddenly have thousands of applications.
View Quote
This.....Teachers are taking positions in urban districts out of necessity before fleeeing to affluent suburbs at first opportunity
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Would you work as a teacher in the crappy parts of Houston, Chicago, Atlanta, LA, etc? Cause if DACA kids want to do that, we should give them waivers to stay.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL at teacher shortage. They're picky. My wife's cousin graduated and only wants to teach high school history. Anything else is beneath him. He's working at Menard's and living in mom and dad's basement. No, I'm not kidding.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh yeah. We're not uber affluent but teaching pretty competitive here, no shortage at all. Think it has something to do with wages, bennies and quality of life those wages bring.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

dont know how you are going to fix it though, I mean the only way to pay teachers more is to tax the living fuck out of the people who live in the district, which typically makes people move away. then you are back to square one
View Quote
The whole "education model" is broken. Here in Texas ONE THIRD of all our budget is spent on "education", it's the single largest item- and they are always begging for more, AND the kids are still Bi Ignorant. This last session they had to do a fix to the Teachers Retirement Fund as well, NOT included in the "education budget". That's the big problem- legacy costs, human costs....too many people involved in education.

Everything should be "University of Phoenix Online" essentially.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kick out the illegals, then kick the worthless fucks off welfare..they will find a job and stop being a drain on society...
View Quote
Would you hire someone who's previous employment was "Collected welfare for 20 years"?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#12]
The whole 'we need illegals because Americans won't do certain jobs' argument is crap.

Finding people to do shitty work for shitty pay isn't a solution. Americans won't work in the fields and pick fruit? Let their be a shortage, and subsidize automation. In the long run it will work out. Teacher's don't want to teach ghetto goblin crotch fruit for 30k a year? Clean up the school system and let teachers retake control of their classrooms.

The root problem is the jobs suck, the solution is making them suck less.

Using illegals is like having a leaking pipe in your basement and just directing the water to the sump pump... and calling it fixed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL at teacher shortage. They're picky. My wife's cousin graduated and only wants to teach high school history. Anything else is beneath him. He's working at Menard's and living in mom and dad's basement. No, I'm not kidding.
View Quote
Not saying this is the issue, but...

State licensing for high school teachers often locks them into one subject.  For example, if you have a social studies license, you can only teach history, government, econ, geography.  Math teachers can only teach math.  To get additional licenses, you have to complete more college (often enough classes for a minor in that subject).  Add to that "High Quality Teacher" requirements (above and beyond the license) and it's damn hard and expensive to be a multi-subject teacher.  Especially when inner city districts want to pay low wages.  People treat those jobs like what they are - stepping stones to higher paying opportunities.  

He legitimately may not legally be able to teach anything other than social studies.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Americans won't be doctors. Too good for that. Thank the Billy Kristols for informing us.

http://www.unz.com/isteve/another-jobs-americans-just-wont-do-doctor/
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Americans won't be doctors. Too good for that. Thank the Billy Kristols for informing us.

View Quote
Yea, I'm not sure how that works when just about every medical school has a HUGE waiting list of qualified students who aren't accepted. There is apparently something broken with the Law of Supply and Demand.....Could it be that SOMEONE is restricting the number of Medical School Grads, for SOME reason?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#16]
How many of that 20,000 are credentialed, masters holding teachers and not uncredentialed BA holding fluff subject teachers like art or music or private school teachers?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#17]
No sympathy. They had plenty of time to get their citizenship they just chose not to do so.
Go teach in Mexico. Maybe they can educate the people down there enough that they will change their corrupt government.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The whole 'we need illegals because Americans won't do certain jobs' argument is crap.

Finding people to do shitty work for shitty pay isn't a solution. Americans won't work in the fields and pick fruit? Let their be a shortage, and subsidize automation. In the long run it will work out. Teacher's don't want to teach ghetto goblin crotch fruit for 30k a year? Clean up the school system and let teachers retake control of their classrooms.

Using illegals is like having a leaking pipe in your basement and just directing the water to the sump pump... and calling it fixed.
View Quote
This right here is the post, except for subsidizing automation. Either the fruit farmers will have to make the job suck less, pay more, or automate. It's on them to fill the market void- not on the government.

How do we make teaching jobs suck less? Pay more, and/or let teachers take control of the classrooms. Explain to parents that their childrens' misbehavior will not be tolerated and expell students for being bad apples. Flunk kids for not performing, instead of forcing them ahead. I grew up and went to school in the city- 20 years ago. I know how bad kids were then, I can only imagine how bad kids are now. We had one teacher when I was in elementary school, who was a real old school teacher. She used to whoop kids with the yardstick (I don't think any of us realized this was illegal). There was no getting sent to the principal. Shit got settled in her classroom, she was in control, and we were behaved because acting up wasn't an option.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Richer billionaires, and sending more billions to nations that hate the US is certainly the answer though. 
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Depends on who you ask.

I've got two degrees but if I find myself out of work suddenly no job is beneath me. I need to work to pay for things.
Scrubbing toilets, teaching little shits, digging ditches, whatever. Work is work and if it doesn't pay the bills then I get a second job.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Anybody will do a job that sucks for the right pay.

The big problem is that illegals will work for less, and the shit jobs are also competing against the government benefits for doing nothing at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This right here.

Any jobs left over we can come up with some form of guest worker program with draconian enforcement measures for anyone that hires an illegal alien.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Would you hire someone who's previous employment was "Collected welfare for 20 years"?
View Quote
Better than a Daca teacher.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#24]
We Saudi now!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#25]
We used to consider the school dist. I worked for a "training district". Teachers fresh out of college would work here for a year or two, get some experience, then move off to a better paying school district.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How do we make teaching jobs suck less? Pay more, and/or let teachers take control of the classrooms. Explain to parents that their childrens' misbehavior will not be tolerated and expell students for being bad apples. Flunk kids for not performing, instead of forcing them ahead.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm thinking that if we get rid of the of the BS administrators that would free up a ton of money. Why does every school district need all of these administrators. Why can't you have one of two for each county.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm thinking that if we get rid of the of the BS administrators that would free up a ton of money. Why does every school district need all of these administrators. Why can't you have one of two for each county.
View Quote
my brother went to public high school 20 years ago, he said their "administrators" were basically enforcers, all were large black men in Navy blazers who stalked students while carrying walkie-talkies.  At assemblies, they would space them every 50 feet in front of the bleachers, hands on hips, glaring at the students.  This was a redneck high school, not an inner-city one.  I thought, Damn, sounds just like prison, and if you treat kids like they are in prison, they're gonna behave like they are in prison...
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not saying this is the issue, but...

State licensing for high school teachers often locks them into one subject.  For example, if you have a social studies license, you can only teach history, government, econ, geography.  Math teachers can only teach math.  To get additional licenses, you have to complete more college (often enough classes for a minor in that subject).  Add to that "High Quality Teacher" requirements (above and beyond the license) and it's damn hard and expensive to be a multi-subject teacher.  Especially when inner city districts want to pay low wages.  People treat those jobs like what they are - stepping stones to higher paying opportunities.  

He legitimately may not legally be able to teach anything other than social studies.
View Quote
Ohioktm is right.

If his degree is in history and his certificate is in social studies, that is all he can teach for now.

If he wants a job, start subbing for everything. Eventually he will find a niche, the admin will take notice, and he will get hired.

Once you have experience you can take additional classes and test for additional certificates. 

I taught in a title 1 school. They are easier to get hired on at, since they are ghetto.

The goal is to transfer to an affluent suburb and escape the hood.

Most teachers at bad schools burnout or escape within a few years. The kids are bad in shit schools, but the parents and admin are worse.

You become a disciplinarian first. Education is a distant second.

Also DACA teachers might not be terrible because:
1. They can speak the language
2. They understand the ghetto culture
3. They will put up with the shit.

In the end, our society must be fixed to unfuck our inner city schools.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bing-fucking-o!

Want quality teachers?

Remove disruptive students from the classroom permanently.

That's pretty well it.  Teachers quit because of the discipline problems which lead to poor performance for all which mean poor evaluations for teachers.

Half of all teachers who go into Title 1 schools quit by the end of year 5.

Libs have destroyed public education by permitting problem students to disrupt classrooms.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#31]
My kid has been in private school since before 1st grade.  She is now 7th grade, and she is now home-schooled.  I work at home, so it fits nicely.  I have a graduate degree, so I think I'm the most qualified one to assist her in learning from this point forward.  Public schools are worthless.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
No one does, anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Buy equipment to send live 4K video over Ethernet, fire half the teachers and replace with poorly paid teachers aides.

Save money in the process.

Not a robot, but close enough.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
No one does, anyhow.
View Quote
What you did there...
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#35]
How many of them have teaching positions because they speak Spanish?  Seems to be a self-correcting problem to me.  Get rid of the illegal immigrants and we won't need the illegal teachers to cater to them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#36]
The irony in all of this is that the liberal MSM has been complaining for years that middle class wages have been stagnant for years.  Now, there is a way to push up those wages, and they still complain.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those leaves aren't going to rake themselves.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How many of them have teaching positions because they speak Spanish?  Seems to be a self-correcting problem to me.  Get rid of the illegal immigrants and we won't need the illegal teachers to cater to them.
View Quote
This right here.  They are there as SOL teachers.  With less SOL students you don't need the SOL teachers.

Immigrant students add about one-third onto the per-student cost of any school system, so if the school system spend $10,000 per student, the cost of the immigrants student is $13,300.  This is because they have both SOL needs and special ed needs.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
One of the reasons teachers don't want to teach in those districts is because up to 50 percent of teachers are physically attacked every year by the students, and of those teachers who are attacked 5-10 percent wind up with debilitating injuries.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get out of here with those racist facts!

Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Story Here

Apparently if we kick out the Dacas we will lose 20,000 teachers. Apparently there is NO FUCKING JOB that Americans will do anymore....
View Quote

Non-felonious DACAs aren't leaving. If we are lucky the Republicans will use that as a bargaining chip to get something else.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good luck getting into medical school if you’re a white male.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If firms are unwilling to pay, they can hire politicians to import replacement labor and drive prices down.
View Quote
Teachers are paid with tax dollars
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

dont know how you are going to fix it though, I mean the only way to pay teachers more is toReduce the pay of school board members
View Quote
fixed for you
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#45]
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/garland/2017/10/23/former-garland-isd-hr-director-sentenced-visa-scam-officials-say-scandal-cost-district-32-million

Victor Leos, a former Garland ISD human resources director and a central figure in a scheme to abuse work visas to recruit hundreds of teachers, was sentenced to two years in federal prison and ordered to pay $317,482 in restitution Monday.
Leos, 64, plead guilty to receiving kickbacks, travel and other benefits while using H-1B visas to attract bilingual teachers from Mexico, Central and South America and the Philippines. From about 2007 to 2012, he recruited and hired foreign teachers that Garland ISD did not necessarily need.
View Quote
Seems a bit relevant.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#46]
If you kick out the illegals we won’t need the 20,000 DACA teachers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#47]
If you get rid of illegals we won't need the 20k extra teachers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Story Here

View Quote

Its always some world ending event if we break up the stream of leftism, until it never happens, it ends and the world goes on a lot better.

20,000 new teachers back in their home nations, why does the USAtoday staff want 3rd world kids to be uneducated?
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:20:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Supply side economics.  Flood the market with cheapo illegal or imported labor and destroy the wages of Americans...

Politicians are whores. They get paid by lobbies & big business groups and will screw the average man at the drop of the hat
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Supply side economics.  Flood the market with cheapo illegal or imported labor and destroy the wages of Americans...

Politicians are whores. They get paid by lobbies & big business groups and will screw the average man at the drop of the hat
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, people wrongly think this will be paid for the "greedy 1%" (i.e. business owners).  It won't.  If the wages for washing dishes goes up, the price of a meal at a restaurant goes up.  If the wages for picking lettuce goes up, the price of lettuce at the grocery store goes up.  If the wages for roofing a house goes up, the price of the house goes up.  Make no mistake, the consumer will bear this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top