BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on the spread of models you could well put them in training units for all of the services and then put a couple of non-deployable jets into each wing for currency and then not care about low O maintenance on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said anything about grounding them?
Sooo.....what exactly?  
108 stealth trainer aircraft?

I guess we’ll save money on the simulator time but seems we’d be stepping over the billions of dollars to save thousands
Depending on the spread of models you could well put them in training units for all of the services and then put a couple of non-deployable jets into each wing for currency and then not care about low O maintenance on them.
Except for the fact that almost all the currency requirements require the use of weapons systems and real captive carry missiles minus the warhead and rocket motor.

I really do not see and use of an aircraft that does not have weapons systems.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Except for the fact that almost all the currency requirements require the use of weapons systems and real captive carry missiles minus the warhead and rocket motor.

View Quote
Stupid question but is captive weapons carry designed to replicate control feel with a combat loaded aircraft?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
What a boondoggle
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Stupid question but is captive weapons carry designed to replicate control feel with a combat loaded aircraft?
View Quote
I'm not the best to answer, but I think that replicating control feel is a ways down the priority list since the jets aren't launching with a CATM on every station where they would have a weapon in combat ops.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
They need the capability to interface with weapons, even if the weapons don't have motors or warheads.

Avionics has to be there to be able to incorporate seeker behavior.

Weapons integration is always an ongoing process with every fighter back as far an anyone can remember.

Every time a new model or block upgrade is made to Air Intercept Missiles or bombs, they have to be validated by operational test and evaluation units, then have the avionics upgraded across the fleet of the aircraft that will be made compatible with that weapons upgrade.

Even with dumb bombs, they had to be tested and validated at different speeds, flight regimes, stores configurations, and altitudes.

It gets even more complex with AIMs and PGMs.  Look at the video of the F-35 testing AIM-9X, where they included barrel roll launches even with separation happening when the aircraft was inverted.

Like every other aircraft out there, the F-35 will never be finished with systems and weapons integration.

The real main difference with the F-35 vs the F-16, for example, when looking at costs, is that all of the ancillary and follow-on systems that ended up on or in the F-16, have some type of equivalent and more integrated into the F-35.

That includes IR and RF detection, tracking, and targeting, as well as advanced self-protection features.

In addition to those, you have low observable surfaces and internals, more sensors, and a radar that is in an entirely different generational leap over what's in the F-16.

That they are able to deliver at the current unit costs should be hailed as a major accomplishment, rather than ridiculed by those who don't know what is under the hood of this aircraft.  It's very ambitious across the board.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Perhaps.  I don’t really know what all is missing in the airframes to know what the limitations would be.  If you do I’ll defer to you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not at all

only one an AIM 9 captive is required to have a seeker that recycles. The systems do not need a radar seeker head to train with, it is all internal to the aircraft
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Perhaps.  I don’t really know what all is missing in the airframes to know what the limitations would be.  If you do I’ll defer to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know what is missing either, but if it isnt full up, there really isnt much that can be done with training.

It would be like training in a chevy vega for a formula one race
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As a former F-15 RTU instructor pilot, while the students do not need to actually launch weapons, they still need to use the systems on a daily basis that do launch the weapons. The F-15 course is 6 months long. Only the first 5 rides are just flying the aircraft. The rest are all about weapons employment using the sensors and systems needed to employ weapons.

So I would say yes, RTU needs the weapons systems to be operational.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those 108 jets will be used for Initial Qualification Training.
IQT teaches a student to aviate, navigate and communicate in their new ride.
IQT does not require the use of the latest weapons and sensors.
As a former F-15 RTU instructor pilot, while the students do not need to actually launch weapons, they still need to use the systems on a daily basis that do launch the weapons. The F-15 course is 6 months long. Only the first 5 rides are just flying the aircraft. The rest are all about weapons employment using the sensors and systems needed to employ weapons.

So I would say yes, RTU needs the weapons systems to be operational.
That’s, what I was thinking, how do you train someone to fight as well as fly, when the fight parts do not function?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But it has to be stealth.

STEALTH EVERYTHING.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
JFC can we just stop wasting money on bullshit that will be obsolete before its even "combat ready"? If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times: drone swarms are the future of air combat. The sooner we quit flushing trillions down the scarf and goggles rabbit hole, the better off we'll be. Nostalgia never won a war. Move...the fuck...on!
But it has to be stealth.

STEALTH EVERYTHING.
I can see your STEALTH
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So what you're saying is really only 45 aircraft are not cost effective to upgrade.  
The question is what would be the cost to upgrade the 45 so they could be used for training (faux weapons and sensor included)?  They don't need to carry the actual weapons for training - just a software/hardware package to simulate the process for the pilot with the ability to pull data for scoring.
View Quote
If they don't have the money or don't want to spend the money to upgrade the software to current specs then why would you think they would spend the money to create an entirely new set of software programming to make them into "trainers"?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We wouldn't have to execute LB II if I could execute my SRAM-only option...

To paraphrase Enemy at the Gates...

"The B-52 with the SRAMs shoots...when that B-52 gets killed, the follow on B-52 with more SRAMs shoots"...rinse-repeat until there's nothing left that needs to eat a SRAM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We could execute a LB II equivalent against a similar enemy with conventional GLCMs.  

Strategic targets are rarely dynamically targeted.
We wouldn't have to execute LB II if I could execute my SRAM-only option...

To paraphrase Enemy at the Gates...

"The B-52 with the SRAMs shoots...when that B-52 gets killed, the follow on B-52 with more SRAMs shoots"...rinse-repeat until there's nothing left that needs to eat a SRAM
Blasting your way to Moscow with SRAMS would of been the best way to experience the end of the world.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#16]
At the same time the Air Force is recalling 1,000 pilots back to service to fly what aircraft?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
At the same time the Air Force is recalling 1,000 pilots back to service to fly what aircraft?
View Quote
A desk.

Guys like warpusher have no idea what airpower really is.  You need a pilot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Those are all instances of satisfying the customer.  Whether any fault falls on the contractor is hard to say without first hand information from the time of the contract negotiation.

The problem with big hardware modifications like that is the cost to incorporate them later as it increases the amount of redesign of existing structure and subsystem routing.  When the volume is occupied by other stuff, then the cost rockets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something similar was done with the F4. Procured as an air to air fighter only. After the Airforce and the Navy got their hands on it, they had it moded to drop bombs. Doing so before production and delivery would have cost more initially. Politics.

Same with the F-15. Procured without chaff and flares. As soon as it was delivered, money was requested to mod it with chaff and flares.

F-16 Procured without a BVR radar weapon capability. Later it was modified to shoot first AIM-7 and then AIM 120.

The F-18 was delivered without a space stabilized radar platform. Almost useless in combat. After acquisition, money was appropriated to 'fix' it.

This is the way fighter acquisition has been for a long time. It keeps the initial cost down for the bean counters. It's wrong and corrupt, but the F-35 is not really all that different.

This is how procurement happens, stuff is bought less than what the services want to keep the initial costs down, then capability added later.
Those are all instances of satisfying the customer.  Whether any fault falls on the contractor is hard to say without first hand information from the time of the contract negotiation.

The problem with big hardware modifications like that is the cost to incorporate them later as it increases the amount of redesign of existing structure and subsystem routing.  When the volume is occupied by other stuff, then the cost rockets.
I used to have a really good chart from NASA that illustrated the cost of incorporating requirements early on in the lifecycle. This wasn't it but it is close.

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A desk.

Guys like warpusher have no idea what airpower really is.  You need a pilot.
View Quote

So true...If only I had good eyesight at 20 years old and a fetish for scarves, zippers, and patches to go along with a Central Colorado School School for Wayward Youth education.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top