BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

a monument to the byzantine mess that is DoD procurement and contracts.
I've only seen the contract/money side of a small ( $12 mil) US Army program, and it was sickening.
View Quote
On the other hand, I've seen the .cov procurement process, and it's a mess.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
On a side note, there is a story that the Syrians already struck an Israeli F-35 with a S-200 missile.

Israel Is Hiding the Fact that Its State of the Art F-35 Warplane Was Hit by Syrian S-200 Missile – Reports

https://www.globalresearch.ca/israel-is-hiding-the-fact-that-its-state-of-the-art-f-35-warplane-was-hit-by-syrian-s-200-missile-reports/5613807
View Quote
They would have to be able to fly to get shot down. And they obviously can't fly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They would have to be able to fly to get shot down. And they obviously can't fly.
View Quote
Elbit Avionics.

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
This is why we have to stop giving these constant fucking budget increases to the military.  

It's absolutely ridiculous how much we spend on defense.  There is so much wasted money that it's absolutely sickening.  

Slash their fucking budget in half right now, with another 20% cut every year until they can demonstrate that they can efficiently operate.  

It's just another issue the GOP is on the wrong side of.....
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Saw one at the Chicago air show this summer. They're loud as hell and sounds like nothing else, which diminishes the stealth factor. It sounds like a cross between a passenger jet and a roaring waterfall. Cool for air shows, bad for sneaking up on the enemy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it not even have the capability of a 4th gen fighter?
They are stealthy-ish, and have good power to weight ratio.  They just may never be able to employ actual weapons in an actual fight.
Saw one at the Chicago air show this summer. They're loud as hell and sounds like nothing else, which diminishes the stealth factor. It sounds like a cross between a passenger jet and a roaring waterfall. Cool for air shows, bad for sneaking up on the enemy.
Correct.  We use UFOs to sneak up on those threats.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol not sure if serious.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We dropped more ordnance in Vietnam than we did in World War II.

Don't tell me we don't need air power.
View Quote
Yep and that worked so swimmingly well.....
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A solution space?

Earned Value?

What kind of mushrooms do you have to consume to espouse that nonsense?
View Quote
Words mean things. Just because you don't know what they mean doesn't mean they don't mean things.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Elbit Avionics.

View Quote
I hate the program issues, but we need to be best in class for the world war that is coming sooner than later.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is why we have to stop giving these constant fucking budget increases to the military.  

It's absolutely ridiculous how much we spend on defense.  There is so much wasted money that it's absolutely sickening.  

Slash their fucking budget in half right now, with another 20% cut every year until they can demonstrate that they can efficiently operate.  

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't Army patrols that brought the North back to the negotiating table.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A solution space?

Earned Value?

View Quote
People that talk like that (it's rampant in Corporate America as well) need to be choked out. 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Psssh.  Billions, ha!

Trillions are where it's at these days.  Trillions are the new Billions!

https://breakingdefense.com/2012/03/f-35-total-costs-soar-to-1-5-trillion-lockheed-defends-program/

...and that article is from 2012.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Billion here, billion there, pretty soon we're talking real money.
Psssh.  Billions, ha!

Trillions are where it's at these days.  Trillions are the new Billions!

https://breakingdefense.com/2012/03/f-35-total-costs-soar-to-1-5-trillion-lockheed-defends-program/

...and that article is from 2012.
You don't have to be a fighter pilot, or a pilot, or an infantry grunt to see the folly of these things. You only need common sense.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People that talk like that (it's rampant in Corporate America as well) need to be choked out. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A solution space?

Earned Value?

Earned value management is a key part of the PMBOK and definitely getting tested in the PMP exam.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You don't have to be a fighter pilot, or a pilot, or an infantry grunt to see the folly of these things. You only need common sense.
View Quote
What is your common sense answer to our fighter needs?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Words mean things. Just because you don't know what they mean doesn't mean they don't mean things.
View Quote
I find any term in .gov usage that has not been immediately converted into an acronym to be highly dubious.

In a fast emerging world of real-time CAP streamlining, where the FSSI pushed the GSA's FSA and OIFPP to be lockstep in implementing category management how can we trust ANY concept not enshrined in acronyms?

It is enough to make me want to file a pre-award protest with the GAO.

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Captain Pooby doesn’t fly planes, he just jumps out of them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I find any term in .gov usage that has not been immediately converted into an acronym to be highly dubious.

In a fast emerging world of real-time CAP streamlining, where the FSSI pushed the GSA's FSA and OIFPP to be lockstep in implementing category management how can we trust ANY concept not enshrined in acronyms?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Earned Value Management (EVM) has more than its share of acronyms:

Planned Value (PV)
Earned Value (EV)
Actual Cost (AC)
Schedule Variance (SV)
Schedule Performance Index (SPI)
Cost Variance (CV)
Cost Performance Index (CPI)
Budget at Completion (BAC)
Estimate at completion (EAC)
Variance at Completion (VAC)
To Complete Performance Index (TCPI)
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I cant wait to see how they B-21 and Columbia Sub programs are going to transpire at this rate.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I cant wait to see how they B-21 and Columbia Sub programs are going to transpire at this rate.
View Quote
Considering how the Virginia class is going, I would be optimistic on the latter.

B-21 will be a disgusting pile of putrid shit shoved down the taxpayers throat
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/usgs_chart2p34-336871.JPG
Lower percentage of GDP doesn't transfer into lower actual dollars.  Our GDP has exponentially grown.  Besides, until they stop wasting away money on shit they will never field they don't need an increase.  Commanche, FCS, Win-T, ARH, etc etc etc.  How many hundreds of billions wasted in programs like these
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Considering how the Virginia class is going, I would be optimistic on the latter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the Army considering buying a new rifle again?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Only" 550 million a plane, And they want over 100 of them to replace B-52's and B-1's.

I haven't followed any sub news so Virginia class thing is somewhat encouraging to hear.

On a side note the B-2 was quoted at that price and they wanted a similar amount.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
We'll see.  Virginia basically took a lot of stuff developed for Seawolf and put it in a less capable hull.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop wasting so much money.

It's obvious that this was colossal waste of money. From the comments here, by people involved in the procurement process, that this is a common thing.

It's also obvious that the people involved in these things often think in terms of profit and votes as opposed to what is best for the taxpayer and the military.

It is also obvious that single purpose machines generally outperform multi-purpose machines. Again, it is obvious that the higher tech something is, the more expensive it becomes. It is also obvious that perfection gets in the way of good enough. The highest tech isn't always required to get the job and often times it's the wrong answer.

It's not hard for someone with common sense to see, from the outside, without complete knowledge of the inside, that people are doing things wrong. You don't have to have all the answers to know that what "is" is not right. People hire business consultants all the time. A lot of what they will tell you is just common sense.

Now, I know my answer probably doesn't satisfy you, I didn't tell you we should have bought 500 units of x because I don't have that answer. However, I do know that what's going on here is as fucked up as it gets.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We'll see.  Virginia basically took a lot of stuff developed for Seawolf and put it in a less capable good enough hull.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ask joglee.

that said.

soup to nuts that would be the cost of one F35 that isn't combat capable.

small arms are budget dust.

aviation and ships are where the big dollars are at.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask the dead if it worked or not. We lost that war due to the fucked up politicians. LBJ, McNamara, Nixon, Kissinger. All incompetent malevolent fuck-ups.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can they be sold to civilians as surplus?
View Quote
Yes.  They are going to be available through the CMP for Tree Fitty.  Each.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is all a plan to leave us vulnerable about the same time China is ready to assume the stage in a few decades.
View Quote
Thanks Obama!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ask joglee.

that said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask joglee.

that said.

The program to upgrade M4s to M4A1s was more than the cost of an F-35.  Replacing 500,000 M4s with M27s would run about $1.5B.

Aircraft procurement is about 5% of the DoD budget.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm no expert but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion,   and the experts are free to rip it apart if they wish.

To me the F-35 was designed to bow to the false god of radar stealth.  

I say false god because radar stealth has already been defeated, to some extent, without resorting to VERY high technology to do it.

Remember when an F-117 got shot down in Serbia?  They did that by networking their radar sites.  And that was back in 1999.

Radar stealth is a defeatable technology.    And as ways to overcome radar stealthing are continually developed and improved upon by our adversaries, at the same time ways to improve thermal detection systems are also under continual development.

You might be able to make the plane absorb nearly all radar signals hitting it but you can't hide the megajoules of heat coming out of the back end of it.  With the right detectors the plane shines like a star in the night sky.

The F-35's airframe is bulked up by necessity for the purpose of carrying weapons in internal storage,  becasue the weapons are not stealthy to radar.    Launch those weapons and the airframe stays the same size...bulked up.  

The bulkier airframe MUST be adding a drag and weight penalty.  Adding the supportive systems for storing and launching weapons from internal storage must also
add a drag, weight, and complexity penalty.

The stealth profiling of the aircraft's exterior surfaces MIGHT compromise aerodynamic efficiency.  Not sure about that but if optimized aerodynamic surfaces were also optimized stealth surfaces then all aircraft would be naturally stealthy, wouldn't they?

What we ended up with in the case of the F-35 is a plane meant to replace the F-16 which requires a much larger engine (43,000 pounds thrust) in order to
achieve the same range of speeds that the F-16 manages with considerably less power.   (27,000 pounds)

I realize the F-35 is a bigger plane, with a maximum weight of something in the 70,000 pound class, while the F-16 (latest model used by the USAF) has a MTOW
of 37,500 pounds.   But tlhe F-16 it has a ferry range of more than 2000 miles as compared to the F-35's ferry range of about 1350 miles.

Speed: F-35 listed as mach 1.6. (~1200 MPH),   F-16 listed as 1500 MPH (mach 2 at altitude)

All figures I quote are from the USAF's online fact sheets.

I just can't help but think that the F-35's design is compromised for the purpose of being stealthy when that stealth technology is heading toward obsolescence.  The days of radar stealth being important are most likely numbered,  and thermal detection systems are going to become the standard for finding enemy aircraft in flight.   So when the bulked-up draggy airframe fails to provide the benefits it was designed to,  with radar stealth no longer being effective,  then you're stuck with a big bulky bomb truck that's cranking out however much heat can be generated by an engine that puts out up to 43,000 pounds of thrust.

And the missiles and bombs that they so want to hide inside the stealthy fuselage?  Well, maybe they themselves could be made somewhat stealthy,  and besides, the moment you drop or launch them from EXTERNAL hardpoints,  all their weight and drag penalty suddenly goes away.    But the empty weapons bays in the F-35 are
just as bulky empty as they are loaded.

I know that the great advantage of the F-35 is its situational awareness package.   But it seems to me that the airframe is seriously compromised all for the benefit of radar stealth,  when radar stealth is on the path to obsolescence.

So, to our resident aviation experts,  please clear up any misconceptions or errors I've made and give me more reasons to believe that the F-35 doesn't have
the compromises I believe it does.   Tell me that it's more aerodynamically efficient, that it can haul more payload farther per ton of fuel, etc.
View Quote
Defeating radar is not a false pursuit.  Radar is always in play for both detection and targeting.  The arguments you hear from people claiming otherwise is not even an amateur one, as they haven't done a single bit of research.

Every 5th Gen design currently being developed and tested uses a low observable airframe based on countering radar detection and targeting.  That includes the ones from Russia, China, Japan, India, Turkey, Sweden, and the new German-French program.  If radar detection is false, then you better call up all the major scientific aerospace communities in the world's largest defense industries and share with them your secret.

F-117A shoot-down in Serbia was a simple matter of predicting their flight path, particularly their take-off and landing patterns, not a defeat of LO.

IR detection:  IR detection requires wide-scanning capabilities with optics and attenuation that is able to distinguish signatures in a very dynamic thermal environment.  The analogy of a star lit against a night sky actually applies, as you have every space of that sky filled with returns when you attenuate to detect a tiny bug flying many miles away.  How do you determine range, azimuth, and velocity when you don't even know what it is?

IRST comes into play within a certain range (too close for comfort) and that's with US and European advanced optics that are actually working.  The F-101 Voodoo and F-14A/B/D had some of the aircraft outfitted with optical sensors, and so does the F-35.

The F-35 achieves higher speeds that the F-16 loaded for combat configuration, and out-performs the F-16 in its ability to turn at altitude at speed when loaded.  The F-16 will put on a better air show down on the deck in front of ignoramuses in all that thick air, stripped down of any stores, but need afterburner to sustain its speed at altitude in a turn with tanks, bombs, and missiles.  The F-35 does not require AB to make a turn at altitude, and this is coming from guys who flew the F-16 before transitioning to the F-35.

The A2A spectrum of combat is done at higher speeds and lots of distance between opponents.  Nobody really wants to close into a WVR scenario and get mixed up in 2 vs 4 or larger flights.  Sometimes you have to close to WVR due to ROE and mitigation of blue on blue, and this is done at pretty high closure rates.  Training is far more important at that point than any other factor, and all of the modern fighters are capable in the hands of trained pilots.  We train more than anyone else, hands-down.

F-35A has a longer combat radius than the F-16, unless you install CFTs on the F-16.  Even F-15C pilots who transitioned to the F-35 are saying they get more time on station during sorties compared to a 2-tank F-15C, which allows them to fight more, coordinate targeting and killbox management for follow-on sorties, and switching roles from ATG or A2A, to recon, AWACS, or EW.

Another thing the F-35 can do is cruise at much faster speeds than the F-16C, which is big for the A2A fight.

All the pilots involved with the F-35 who flew 4th Gen birds say it's a game-changer, and they used to think of it from 4th gen perspective, but no longer do after seeing its capabilities.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The program to upgrade M4s to M4A1s was more than the cost of an F-35.  Replacing 500,000 M4s with M27s would run about $1.5B.

View Quote
And replacing them all with GAP bolt actions would be still more.

which isn't happening.

Still want to make up scenarios to still admit I am right?

We can do this all day.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

which isn't happening.

We can do this all day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which isn't happening.

We can do this all day.
I'd love to hear your scenario where buying new rifles would actually cost less than what the Army paid to upgrade 500,000 M4s to A1.  Based on current fly-away cost it would have to be about $188 per rifle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'd love to hear your scenario where buying new rifles would actually cost less than what the Army paid to upgrade 500,000 M4s to A1.  Based on current fly-away cost it would have to be about $188 per rifle.
View Quote

discounting the hundreds of billions pissed away already and engine cost and O/M cost and upgrade costs....

Why, they are cheaper than an F16!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

discounting the hundreds of billions pissed away already and engine cost and O/M cost and upgrade costs....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're counting actually flying the planes in their cost?   indeed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
at 40K an hour (or whatever the lie happens to be at the moment) it can't be discounted.
Planes are stupid expensive.  AT every level.

and you don't see me advocating for a new rifle even though rifles are far more evenly matched with our enemies than aircraft.

16 years in Afghanistan.  yeah.  we need F35s.  That's the problem there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How many of these things do we already have? 

How many are ready to fight a war if say Lil' Kim decides tomorrow that he's all done dicking around?
View Quote
None of them are combat ready. They’re all air show queens. But some day... just you wait. 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
at 40K an hour (or whatever the lie happens to be at the moment) it can't be discounted.

and you don't see me advocating for a new rifle even though rifles are far more evenly matched with our enemies than aircraft.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have often agreed that the Air Force and the Marines fucked up by not procuring LAAR airframes.  That doesn't change that new fighters are needed for near-peer adversaries.

ETA:  Cost per hour is always kind of funny.  Which is why it's listed as costing over $200,000/hour for a VC-25 when no other 747-200 costs that much.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see.  Virginia basically took a lot of stuff developed for Seawolf and put it in a less capable good enough hull.
That depends entirely on what you're doing with that hull.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That depends entirely on what you're doing with that hull.
View Quote
Fair point.

and unlike other "secret" units in the Navy. Submariners generally keep their mouths shut.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have often agreed that the Air Force and the Marines fucked up by not procuring LAAR airframes.  That doesn't change that new fighters are needed for near-peer adversaries.

ETA:  Cost per hour is always kind of funny.  Which is why it's listed as costing over $200,000/hour for a VC-25 when no other 747-200 costs that much.
View Quote
I would argue that the Army is the service that fucked up by not procuring LAAR.  Marines have their aging Harriers and Hornets for dedicated support if they need fixed wing.   Army has the ATO.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
The question is quantity.

1700?

that's fucking ridiculous.

But in the absence of ridiculous fleet counts, you can't have ridiculous R & D costs that get wished away in "well, we are building 2400 of them, so the R & D isn't really THAT expensive when you consider how many frames we are buying"

the whole thing is an ass raping of the taxpayer for the benefit of Lockmart and its future board members and future senior program managers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fair point.

and unlike other "secret" units in the Navy. Submariners generally keep their mouths shut.
View Quote
And I'm not badmouthing VA class.  It is a great attack submarine and the payload module brings a lot of flexibility, but there are some things that Seawolf can do that nobody else is close to, even today.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I would argue that the Army is the service that fucked up by not procuring LAAR.  Marines have their aging Harriers and Hornets for dedicated support if they need fixed wing.   Army has the ATO.
View Quote
as long as the AF is going to pay lip service to CAS, they could have at least played the game.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Army at least has the ability to fall on the Key West Agreement as the reason why they didn't push it organically.  The Marines chose to fly $15k/hr jets instead.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

1700?

But in the absence of ridiculous fleet counts, you can't have ridiculous R & D costs that get wished away in "well, we are building 2400 of them, so the R & D isn't really THAT expensive when you consider how many frames we are buying"

the whole thing is an ass raping of the taxpayer for the benefit of Lockmart and its future board members and future senior program managers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1700?

How would you replace over 1,000 F-16s alone?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Army at least has the ability to fall on the Key West Agreement as the reason why they didn't push it organically.  The Marines chose to fly $15k/hr jets instead.
View Quote
key west (technically NDA 47) does nothing to restrict the army from procuring anything.

In fact, the only service that has CAS by name is the marines.

It is all the follow on agreements, all of which the AF has violated multiple times.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
key west (technically NDA 47) does nothing to restrict the army from procuring anything.

It is all the follow on agreements, all of which the AF has violated multiple times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay then.  Blame only your organization if you like.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How would you replace over 1,000 F-16s alone?
View Quote
I wouldn't replace them one for one.

We procured 1000 F16s to fight the commies over the Fulda gap.

That threat is gone.

How many SU-37s can Russia put into the sky right now?

30?

and if gen 5 is such a huge advantage, you shouldn't need as many to fight legacy aircraft.

there is no threat to justify a 1 for 1 replacement except the threat to pilot billets.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top