Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2017 5:06:05 PM EDT
Local gun show today had 1/4"x12"x20" silhouette targets for $30 - Single 1/2" bolt hole towards the top.

HD plasma cut under water - MIL-A-46100 Rev D steel.

What's the best angle to hang these from a safety perspective?  15 degree, 20 degrees, other?   Safe shooting distance for .22 - 9mm?

Suggestions on portable stands, looking at the 2x4 setups right now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Hang from a chain.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have my action targets set up but I guess they're probably around 20 degrees 

I don't get much closer than 15-20 yards when shooting pistols. 
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what you need!

I always recommend this setup. The plastic they use is "self healing" and stands up to tons of rounds.  I've been using the same set for a couple years now.  I don't like using 2x4s for hanging targets because they always end up full of jacket bits sticking out waiting to cut up your paws.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what you need!

I always recommend this setup. The plastic they use is "self healing" and stands up to tons of rounds.  I've been using the same set for a couple years now.  I don't like using 2x4s for hanging targets because they always end up full of jacket bits sticking out waiting to cut up your paws.
View Quote
That's what I use. Bought it on amazon. It's been great.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what you need!

View Quote
Those look really good. Gonna need to look into um
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I use 2x4 and black pipe stands, both are cheap and easy to transport. Old firehose works well to hang targets. I have no idea what angle I hang them at. I just use a long bolt with the hose, flat washer and nut backed off enough that the target is tilted forward. We've shot 9mm as close as 10 yards with no issue.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what you need is what I also use, but be forewarned, keep a welding glove(s) for disassembling it.  Jacketed bullets which shed can throw fragments into the plastic corners and they are very sharp,  I wasn't paying attention and laid my hand open.

For hanging your plates, visit the local FD ask if they have some older hose you can have.  Fire hose is self healing unlike chain and swings with the bullet impact directing the ricochet downward instead of back to you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother owns a steel fabrication company, and I helped him design steel targets as a side project. 

We found that a ~30 degree forward angle to deflect energy combined with a mounting method that allowed the target to move and absorb energy provided the best longevity. 
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
This is cheap way I used to hang steel.  Fence posts with 1/2-inch holes drilled, 1/2-inch steel rod, Chain and "S" hooks.  All stuff available at Home Depot.  Fence pounder is auxiliary, in lieu of hand sledge to drive posts.  As I said, cheap and easy.

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Use a long bolt, a lock washer and nut then a stack of washers then a nut and fender washer, fire hose or chain and then a final fender washer and nut.

The number of washers can be changed to adjust the angle of the target. About 15* has worked well for pistols at 10yds and rifles 50+yds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top