Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Roll your feet heel to toe. Swap out the boots for a few pairs of heavy wool socks. If you need boots for snakes and such slip a wool sock over the boot to help.

Go slow.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd get the rabies vaccine if I was out there with critters as much as you appear to be.

Only way to be sure.

From the CDC.

Who should get rabies vaccine and when?
Preventive vaccination (no exposure)
-People at high risk of exposure to rabies, such as veterinarians, animal handlers, rabies laboratory workers, spelunkers, and rabies biologics production workers should be offered rabies vaccine.
The vaccine should also be considered for:
-People whose activities bring them into frequent contact with rabies virus or with possibly rabid animals.

It is true that human rabies is very rare, but you have to consider that those at high risk get vaccinated.
View Quote
Got that when I was working in Africa. I'm vaccinated against damn near everything I can be vaccinated for.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How about a transvestite that dresses as Taylor Swift?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can't watch 365 degs. It is hard to hear critters moving with the call going. A rabid grey fox will make the next couple weeks suck. I've been seriously considering getting a rabies vaccine myself. Even though we have bear and the rare Mt Lion around, my biggest concern is a rabid animal, getting clawed by a bobcat that snuck in on me or a deer. I cannot tell you how many deer I've called in that just acted wild, especially when they have fawns in tow. I also cannot tell you how many times I had been running the call just to look around and see the eyes of a bobcat 50 yards away glowing from the IR just watching me.

You never know. That is the thing. One 2000 acre (1300 club & the rest game management) tract I use to call a bunch in McCormick Co SC taught me a valuable lesson.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0146-229220.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0141-229224.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0142-229225.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0144-229226.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0145-229227.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0146-229228.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0148-229229.png

That lesson is you never know what is out there with you. These are large cat tracks I found along with a deer kill. These were less than 100 yards from a spot I called at night probably 10 times. It was an area just like the OP described with a lot of leaf litter. The last picture is where the cat drug the dead deer. I followed the trail to the kill.

I had SCDNR verify they were mt lion tracks and have it in writting. I also know a State Trooper who saw a mother and a cub up near the mountains, and know of a security video at a goat farm locally where one was on video going into a stable and coming out with a dead goat. I know the LEO who took the call/report.

You also run a high risk of running into people out up to no good. Walking back to your truck and finding boogers stealing your stuff. I highly recommend having a buddy if you go out at night. It's a different world.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0092-228114.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my experience under nods at night the animals don't react the same way they do during the day. As long as you aren't stomping around like a water head you should be fine. Also, good idea having a wingman, shit gets weird at night when you're alone. I thought having nods would make that feeling go away it actually made it worse.
Care to elaborate?
You can't watch 365 degs. It is hard to hear critters moving with the call going. A rabid grey fox will make the next couple weeks suck. I've been seriously considering getting a rabies vaccine myself. Even though we have bear and the rare Mt Lion around, my biggest concern is a rabid animal, getting clawed by a bobcat that snuck in on me or a deer. I cannot tell you how many deer I've called in that just acted wild, especially when they have fawns in tow. I also cannot tell you how many times I had been running the call just to look around and see the eyes of a bobcat 50 yards away glowing from the IR just watching me.

You never know. That is the thing. One 2000 acre (1300 club & the rest game management) tract I use to call a bunch in McCormick Co SC taught me a valuable lesson.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0146-229220.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0141-229224.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0142-229225.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0144-229226.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0145-229227.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0146-229228.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0148-229229.png

That lesson is you never know what is out there with you. These are large cat tracks I found along with a deer kill. These were less than 100 yards from a spot I called at night probably 10 times. It was an area just like the OP described with a lot of leaf litter. The last picture is where the cat drug the dead deer. I followed the trail to the kill.

I had SCDNR verify they were mt lion tracks and have it in writting. I also know a State Trooper who saw a mother and a cub up near the mountains, and know of a security video at a goat farm locally where one was on video going into a stable and coming out with a dead goat. I know the LEO who took the call/report.

You also run a high risk of running into people out up to no good. Walking back to your truck and finding boogers stealing your stuff. I highly recommend having a buddy if you go out at night. It's a different world.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91271/IMG-0092-228114.png

Yeah, I really prefer to have a buddy at night. It's eerie enough alone, and there's a good bit of drug trafficking in the area. Haven't spotted anyone else at night here, but I wouldn't be surprised to come across people up to no good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do it after a good rain.
View Quote
My first thought as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This also works well in the deserts of Arrakis. The worm hunts by vibration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shuffle your feet, move slow and randomly, a step here, a step there...you can't avoid making noise, so sound like a critter instead of a human.
This.  You don't move silently.  Take an odd number of steps (3,5, etc).  Stop randomly.  Start randomly.  All critters make noise moving through the woods.  Squirrels are the loudest damn things in the woods.
This also works well in the deserts of Arrakis. The worm hunts by vibration.
Shai Halud.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Upon preparing to enter said woods, light the leaves in front of you on the ground on fire.

You can now walk quietly and light your path at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.  You don't move silently.  Take an odd number of steps (3,5, etc).  Stop randomly.  Start randomly.  All critters make noise moving through the woods.  Squirrels are the loudest damn things in the woods.
View Quote
Ive had deer come within arms reach of me without making a sound. They can move like ghosts if they want to.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I just swing on the vines. Thought everybody did that. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just swing on the vines. Thought everybody did that. 
View Quote
You big ape.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very slowly, and roll your feet from heel to toe on the outside edge. Never step flat on the forest floor.
View Quote
This. Emphasis on the VERY SLOWLY.  

For extra sneaky wear socks or the thinnest shoes you own to feel what your foot feels.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
@eesmith
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The simple truth is, "You don't".

Anyone that spends any time in the woods knows the truth.

No critter from a Vole to a Moose is silent. Not even the Big Cats.

The sound of movement is part of the background. You either fit in or don't, when you move.

Anything moving in a hurry, doesn't fit in. Anything moving with attempted stealth, doesn't fit in.

You have to consider who is listening, and what they are listening for.
The unusual silence of other critters observing as you pass, is as loud as heel breaking a stick.

View Quote
This is a pretty good answer.

Next time you're out, just sit and listen to how things move. Pay attention to cadence, pattern, amount of noise. What does it take to get the attention of the peanut gallery? Compare those noises to what a man sounds like, walking.

"Heel to toe?" LOL  Nope.

Do you know what animal, the ONLY animal who makes a long crrrrruuuuunnnnch sound when they're putting their foot down? Especially when they think they're going to do it quietly by placing the heel down first and rolling to the ball?

If it's damp, or snowy, or there is a lot of downed logs, rocks, etc. Sure, feel your way on the solid stuff and use the heel/roll/toe.

If it's a crispy, dry, deciduous forest, you're not going to be quiet. Period.

So, you use camouflage with sound the same you do with sight. You don't disappear. You blend in.

Putting the toe down first helps to make you sound like an animal because basically your foot is coming down all in one short crunch. Do it randomly and stop frequently. Pay attention to the noises around you. If you hear a change, it's probably you that stood out, so stop for a minute or two until the chatter comes back.

Anyone who says the woods are quiet at night hasn't been in nighttime woods.

If there are characters present (particularly shit like wip-or-wils or bobwhites) who make consistent, loud, and repeating noises you can use those to cover your own sounds.

eta: Thick wool socks, or socks over boots does help.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just take your time, go real slow and inch your way out

https://i.imgur.com/H807YV8.jpg
View Quote
Dude forgot to change his ferns for open grass when he left the tree line.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

NVGs give a reduced field of view and while they improve your awareness of what is in front of you, they reduce your peripheral vision. Your eyes actually have pretty decent peripheral vision in the dark, and wearing NVGs pretty much kills it entirely.

They also have a relatively narrow focal range, so you can see objects clearly near or far, but not both at the same time. It makes for a claustrophobic feeling for me, especially in dense woods. 

Also, the woods just look weird through NVGs. Its creepy and unnatural. Your brain is not used to viewing the world in that manner.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have them than not, they add capability... but it's definitely an unnatural feeling and it fucks with your brain. I am sure, like all things, training with it long enough helps.

Now I should add, navigating or scanning an open field at night is a totally different story. NVGs dominate in open spaces where the lack of focal range and peripheral vision is less important. 
View Quote
Thank you. You said what I was referring to. The best way to get over that feeling it to get out there and use it. Helps if you have a buddy at first though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Heavy wool socks over your boots.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#17]
This short training film should help you distill down the advice offered in this thread.

Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks (Full Sketch)

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Shuffle your feet, move slow and randomly, a step here, a step there...you can't avoid making noise, so sound like a critter instead of a human.
View Quote
This.

It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, I really prefer to have a buddy at night. It's eerie enough alone, and there's a good bit of drug trafficking in the area. Haven't spotted anyone else at night here, but I wouldn't be surprised to come across people up to no good.
View Quote
Most people up to no good are drug/alcohol addled idiots, intent on what they're doing/stealing or drug/alcohol addled idiot teens intent on getting pussy.

I've come across both on family land in KY. Both were easy enough to deal with, since I was paying attention and was well armed.

Don't think I'd care to have a group of meth head hillbillies happen upon my tent while I was asleep and unarmed, though. That'd be bad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got that when I was working in Africa. I'm vaccinated against damn near everything I can be vaccinated for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd get the rabies vaccine if I was out there with critters as much as you appear to be.

Only way to be sure.

From the CDC.

Who should get rabies vaccine and when?
Preventive vaccination (no exposure)
-People at high risk of exposure to rabies, such as veterinarians, animal handlers, rabies laboratory workers, spelunkers, and rabies biologics production workers should be offered rabies vaccine.
The vaccine should also be considered for:
-People whose activities bring them into frequent contact with rabies virus or with possibly rabid animals.

It is true that human rabies is very rare, but you have to consider that those at high risk get vaccinated.
Did you have any adverse side effects?

Like maybe

Or

Or

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#21]
When there is a lot of dry leaf litter it is impossible to walk through the woods quietly. As mentioned, breaking up your stride is about the best you can hope for. I keep a diaphragm turkey call with me to make a little animal noise occasionally when I know I am in a hot area. Turkeys make a lot of noise when a flock is moving through an area, a few peeps now and then makes me think I sound less human. It is debatable if it makes any difference to the animals.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ive had deer come within arms reach of me without making a sound. They can move like ghosts if they want to.
View Quote
I've had deer sneak up on me in tall grass, in snow and wet weather, windy weather and when I flat out wasn't paying attention.  In dry leaf litter?  Nope, they make plenty of noise.  It's not as loud and obvious as a squirrel (much more stop and go hesitation and long periods of silence in between), but it's there.  Every animal in the woods crunches dry leaves.  Each has their own pattern and volume.  

They aren't magic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thin soft soled shoes.

I've been known to hunt in a pair of moccasins I made up from some deer hide, they help you feel what's under your foot and avoid stepping on sticks.

If I'm feeling good enough to make the drive down, I'll show you how I move and see if it works for you.

People always yell at me as I sneak up on them and they never hear me, everyone else sounds like a heard of Buffalo walking around.
I was taught by my grandfather who was a small kid during the depression and was given 1 round and had to make sure it counted, he was like a ghost in the woods and he would test me by walking out and sitting by a tree and I had to sneak up on him.

Took me a while but one of the proudest moments was when I did and scared the beJesus out of him, I was awarded with his jack knife and a .22 rifle

Miss the man daily
View Quote
That's one of the best stories I've ever heard! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the electronic hearing protection that amplifies quiet noises.

If you think you can be quiet these should fix that issue.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Trails
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Trails
View Quote
Yeah, if you want to step on a hole full of punji sticks or get fish hooks in your eyes.

(depending on how far into methireferbilly heaven you are)

Pot needles every where. You can hear the banjos playing in the background and smell the THC and anhydrous ammonia in the air.

We need to outlaw this shit before someone gets hurt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do you guys have many copperheads or rattlesnakes up there?
View Quote
Bought as many as there are squirrels out at night.
But in fairness, we only have one type of venomous snake, a rattler, and I ain't never seen one in the wild.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no idea, I'm just happy to see a thread that's not about the NFL.
Can we interest you in something on Taylor Swift or transvestites, perhaps?
Who's he play for, the Giants?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This.

It's not rocket science.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
But in fairness, we only have one type of venomous snake, a rattler, and I ain't never seen one in the wild.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you guys have many copperheads or rattlesnakes up there?
Copperheads are common down here. Rattlers are less common, but I've seen both and shot more than one copperhead. I've just about convinced myself that I NEED thermal for exactly that purpose
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Most people up to no good are drug/alcohol addled idiots, intent on what they're doing/stealing or drug/alcohol addled idiot teens intent on getting pussy.

I've come across both on family land in KY. Both were easy enough to deal with, since I was paying attention and was well armed.

Don't think I'd care to have a group of meth head hillbillies happen upon my tent while I was asleep and unarmed, though. That'd be bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a guy stabbed on his land a few years back by people who were growing weed in his woods. Out for a walk, stumbled on their operation, and shit went south. I'm always armed in the woods.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Hecs  suit
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Simple, you sit on the edge of the woods and wait from something else to come crunching through the leaves. Then....

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@eesmith
View Quote
EE has a bigger rack.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Very slowly, and roll your feet from heel to toe on the outside edge. Never step flat on the forest floor.
View Quote
This.

Also, inserting felt boot liners into the thin rubber over shoe rain "rubbers" works great for stalking.

Just need to be careful as you diminish any real arch support.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Wear soft sole shoe instead of boot.
My friend I wear sneakers when we are stalking hogs in the hammocks at night.
Makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]
My great grandmother told me how my GGF used to do it.  He always carried a walking stick, and every time he took a step he'd put the stick down (like another step) to sound four-legged.  She said he could sneak up on anything in the woods.  I can't walk quietly through the oak leaves, but this method has worked on stalks.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wear soft sole shoe instead of boot.
My friend I wear sneakers when we are stalking hogs in the hammocks at night.
Makes a big difference.
View Quote
Do what?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I killed my first deer when I was 8 and successfully got a buck every year I ever bow hunted and you can't move quietly through the woods.

Socks over your boots?

Heal to toe just makes a longer crunch.

The only animal I ever had sneak up on me was a bobcat while I was taking a nap before dawn while deer hunting.

And even it make some sound when we figured out what each other was.

Last year I heard a coyote coming through the woods when he got about a hundred yards away due to dry leaves.

Thin soles or socks without shoes might help but would play hell on your feet if you actually spend any time in the woods and not just hiking on a nice trail.

In the last month I have went on a 5 mile and 10 mile hike through mostly woods around here and the mast is so thick this year that the acorns and hickory nuts would destroy your feet in a 1/4 of a mile.  Hell even the deer are crunching around when they walk.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Many times I will do real good sneaking through the woods but not see anything.  As soon as I give up and begin moving quickly I spook a deer or deers way up ahead that wouldn't have jumped if I didn't give up.  

The woods play tricks on you like that all the fucking time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Snap, crackle, pop!

You have to move very slow and try to feel for softer things.  Wearing softer moccasins helps better than shoes/boots with hard rubber soles.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thin soft soled shoes.

I've been known to hunt in a pair of moccasins I made up from some deer hide, they help you feel what's under your foot and avoid stepping on sticks.

If I'm feeling good enough to make the drive down, I'll show you how I move and see if it works for you.

People always yell at me as I sneak up on them and they never hear me, everyone else sounds like a heard of Buffalo walking around.
I was taught by my grandfather who was a small kid during the depression and was given 1 round and had to make sure it counted, he was like a ghost in the woods and he would test me by walking out and sitting by a tree and I had to sneak up on him.

Took me a while but one of the proudest moments was when I did and scared the beJesus out of him, I was awarded with his jack knife and a .22 rifle

Miss the man daily
@Kingpin38506

Thank you

That man taught me a lot and helped make me the man I am today.

We would go out in the woods all over Michigan from the south east part to the U.P. and he would always test me.
He had enough of hunting due to when he was younger but passed his skill onto me

I've used those skills all over the usa and on my farm to catch poachers and other trespassers.

These days in the city people are shocked that I just "appear" and they never hear me coming towards them.

Made for great days when I was little paying army with friends and in every day life.

He joined the navy so he could have a hot filling meal daily, served in ww2 and then worked as an engineer for Ford.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#46]
When I try to be quiet I end up making more noise.  I do as others and just move irregularly like a big squirrel.  I also look for big branches and sticks as those loud snaps are irregular.  Or, more often than not, I just camp on a powerline in a tripod with a 200 yard view.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Snap, crackle, pop!

You have to move very slow and try to feel for softer things.  Wearing softer moccasins helps better than shoes/boots with hard rubber soles.
View Quote
These days, my joints are making as much noise as the dadgum sticks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  

Also, moccasins.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The problem with NODs is, unless you have dual tubes, you are either going to be focused on the world around you (which I do) or you'll have them focused on where you are stepping. I usually bring a thermal, scan 50 yards or so of where I am going to look for snakes/skunks then walk. Repeat. Most dangerous snakes hunt at night, so it is a real concern. Either that or I wear snake boots. This is only in warm months though.

Either way, my priority when moving is to have the PVS-14 focused on the world around me so I don't get lost.
View Quote
Okay.

Heel to toe or toe to heel is to prevent you from crunching branches.
There isnt a good way to avoid crunching leaves, other then look to where the leaves are and go around them.

I would pull out my compass, look below the nods, and set the azimuth.  Squat down.  Look up toward the sky and pick out a tree.  Preferably a close one.  Look around with nods, look for grass or something that aren't dead leaves.  Don't walk through brush, bushes, deadfall.  Walk around to the tree you picked out.  Or just buy a garmin and plug in your grid, then spend your time on picking out a quiet trail or path.  The absolute quietest way is bend over and look at the ground through nods and find a quiet route...and take your time.

I suppose if you focus on being quiet you will hear others before anyone sees anyone else.

When you get where you are going, sit against a tree to break silhouette.

The old patrolling FM, 21-76, said that a patrol in daylight moves through woods. A patrol at night moves just outside, in the grass.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top