User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hah at thinking Amazon can ship a radiator through FedEx, UPS, USPS without damaging it.
View Quote
I have done radiators twice now via Amazon.  BOTH times they arrived damaged and had to go back.  Both times the replacement showed up with a damaged box, but the radiator was intact.  

DON'T buy a radiator from amazon if you are in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes!  Replace the (almost always) shitty factory ones with the stainless steel ones at the auto supply stores.  They are only about two bucks each.

Edit:  If you look where the screwdriver slot is you will see that drive nut is hexagonal.  A hex driver has a screwdriver handle and the equivalent of a six-point socket on the end.  Very handy for that kind of thing--and it works MUCH better than a screwdriver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 5/16" nut driver will work MUCH better than a screwdriver.  Trust me on this.
Ok. Just for reference and to make sure we are on the same page:  https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71%2BzOxf-hBL._SX425_.jpg
Yes!  Replace the (almost always) shitty factory ones with the stainless steel ones at the auto supply stores.  They are only about two bucks each.

Edit:  If you look where the screwdriver slot is you will see that drive nut is hexagonal.  A hex driver has a screwdriver handle and the equivalent of a six-point socket on the end.  Very handy for that kind of thing--and it works MUCH better than a screwdriver.
You should not replace "shitty factory ones" with worm gears.

Factory clamps are "constant tension" clamps that are designed to work with today's plastic radiator necks.

Worm gears will warp and eventually crack plastic radiator necks in some cases.  Worm gear hose clamps are best for metal necks, which is more typical on a thermostat housing side, but today's engines even use plastic there now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Stop leak?
Yikes.

I'd have your husband swap it out and save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Factory clamps are "constant tension" clamps that are designed to work with today's plastic radiator necks.

Worm gears will warp and eventually crack plastic radiator necks in some cases.  Worm gear hose clamps are best for metal necks, which is more typical on a thermostat housing side, but today's engines even use plastic there now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 5/16" nut driver will work MUCH better than a screwdriver.  Trust me on this.
Ok. Just for reference and to make sure we are on the same page:  https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71%2BzOxf-hBL._SX425_.jpg

Not only that but the worm gear ones can easily tightened too much and cause a premature tear in the rubber hose at the worst possible time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not try a product called Alumaseal:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/alumaseal-powdered-radiator-stop-leak-asbp-73/7120024-P?searchTerm=alumaseal

Less than $3.50. Worth a shot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have done radiators twice now via Amazon.  BOTH times they arrived damaged and had to go back.  Both times the replacement showed up with a damaged box, but the radiator was intact.  

View Quote
Might try an auto parts warehouse "downtown".

ETA:  maybe not.  I looked online and couldn't find one.  Might just have to bite the bullet and order.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's the best way to flush it out in your opinion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A couple hours at the most. Having line wrenches help if it's an auto. Flush the hell out of the engine of the stop leak crap before you put the new radiator in, if you can. Replace thermostat at the same time to save later trouble.
What's the best way to flush it out in your opinion?
I don't know what it would do to a new vehicle's computer. But, I always added a garden hose end to the heater hose. Making sure you catch the coolant that comes out. If you're running the garden hose full blast with the engine running to circulate the water, you should be able to touch any part of the engine but the exhaust.

When that's done, replace the radiator and drive for a while with just distilled water, no antifreeze. When it's cool enough to mess with, drain that and put in your coolant mixture for your climate.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Might try an auto parts warehouse "downtown".

ETA:  maybe not.  I looked online and couldn't find one.  Might just have to bite the bullet and order.
View Quote
Strongly considering Rockauto atm. I would hazard a guess that their shipping is better than amazons. I also looked at Autozon and orileys. Their cheapest and only one for that matter was $182.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I put an all aluminum radiator in my M3 since that's a major weak point in BMWs. On a scale of 1-10 in difficulty, I give it a 4(at least on my car). I imagine it being a little easier on a truck since you have more room to work with. I never previously swapped a radiator before btw and did it in about 4 or so hours.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was gonna suggest the same about the stop leak. You should get all of it out. Hopefully it stayed in the old radiator. It's good for clogging up heater cores too. 
View Quote
You might not have any heat in the winter after using that stop leak crap !

You better flush the hell out of it !!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:2.  You get what you pay for in radiators.  If the OEM is not much more money (aka double or less), always get the OEM radiator.  The cheap radiators from China sometimes work great, but I often have to return them because of damage, or cheap parts.  I returned one yesterday because the clips they use to hold the transmission cooler lines were total junk compared to the OEM ones.... and just crushed upon install.  I used the cheap one in that case because it was 1/4th the cost of OEM.  Mopar radiators are not terribly overpriced IMHO, so I usually go with those.  Ford is a ripoff for their Motorcraft by comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:2.  You get what you pay for in radiators.  If the OEM is not much more money (aka double or less), always get the OEM radiator.  The cheap radiators from China sometimes work great, but I often have to return them because of damage, or cheap parts.  I returned one yesterday because the clips they use to hold the transmission cooler lines were total junk compared to the OEM ones.... and just crushed upon install.  I used the cheap one in that case because it was 1/4th the cost of OEM.  Mopar radiators are not terribly overpriced IMHO, so I usually go with those.  Ford is a ripoff for their Motorcraft by comparison.
Wish I could get an OEM rad for my 95 Dakota, I'd pay for it. All the aftermarket junk is about half as thick as the stock shit and the truck runs hotter than I want during the summer.

Quoted:

From what i read/watched i don't even need to screw with the clutch fan.
Yeah if you undo the shroud and you can probably remove the rad with the fan in place.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
You F'd up putting that nasty stop leak shit in it...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tell me something i didn't know 20 posts ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not difficult, especially on a truck, as there's usually plenty of room.

The hardest part is usually getting the radiator hose off.  Use a tiny flat blade screwdriver and gently work it under.  It's a good time to replace the hose if it's not nice and soft.
View Quote
IMHO, if you're replacing the rad, then just get new hoses along with it. If it's something like an SBC, I'll also swap out a new thermostat and water neck.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Even if you could weld that hole/leak shut on that radiator...IT'S NOW COMPRIMISED by the stop leak...

be very lucky if you don't crack a head if it overheats.

Buy a new one and put only bottled mix in it...nothing else as if it clogs the tubes you're fucked and maybe crack a head.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tell me something i didn't know 20 posts ago. https://i.imgur.com/WTDnnwE.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell me something i didn't know 20 posts ago. https://i.imgur.com/WTDnnwE.gif

OK, those trucks are turds...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW i have ran roughly 600 miles since i put the stop leak in. I have also left the truck running on a few different fire scenes without any issue. Also have ran the heater a couple times as well. Every thing runs fine like should minus the ongoing leak.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Change belt/belts while you've got it apart. Cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

OK, those trucks are turds...
View Quote
Once again
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Before i get blasted let's put this out there first: My truck is a 02 Dakota 4x4 slt. I love my truck. Yes Dakotas have a shitty maintenance and reliability record. It's what i could afford at the time.
Now that is out of the way and flame shields are up we can get down to business. My truck currently has a radiator leak. The leak is on the radiator itself and spews water out the front grill when it gets up to pressure.  I already tried stop leak to no avail.  I finally have some spare cash so i can get it repaired properly.  Now the grand question is do i do it myself or take it to the local shop? I can get the radiator off of amazon for $95. Or should i should try selling the truck and buying something else. My budget is only $2500 though.
View Quote
You can repair it yourself. No specialty tool required.
I've done three radiators. Honda Civic, Mazda Protege and Mazda MPV.
They are all a little bit different, but the procedure is the same.
Your radiator has one outlet and one inlet. It might have an extra inlet and outlet for the transmission fluid, or not.

Unplug the battery negative terminal
drain radiator fluid into pan
untighten radiator hose clamps, or move clamps off and slide away
pull off upper radiator hose from radiator
pull off lower radiator hose from radiator
unscrew bolts/nuts holding the bracket that holds down your radiator to the car's front frame.
Unplug radiator fan electrical connection
pull radiator out
unclip radiator fan from old radiator
clip radiator fan onto new radiator
put radiator back in
plug electric fan harness to plug
screw bolts/nuts to hold radiator down
connect lower radiator hose
connect upper radiator hose
put radiator hose clamps to upper and lower radiator hoses as they were before.
connect negative battery terminal
Remove radiator cap
add coolant to radiator and then reservoir tank
put radiator cap back on
run engine, watch coolant level lower after it burps
fill with more coolant until reservoir tank is at full/max line
run engine again.

Also, I've bought all my replacement radiators from www.rockauto. Their prices on windshield wipers are great. Buy in bulk.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Replace the hoses while your in there as well.  Its alot easier to slice the old ones off with a razor blade.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stop leak?
Yikes.

I'd have your husband swap it out and save a few bucks.
View Quote
The only thing that usually does is clog the heater core.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I did my 08 Wrangler back in the spring.  I am no mechanic.  It wasn't bad at all, I found a Jeep forum write up and watched a Youtube video or two,
and did it all in my driveway.

Took me about three hours, and that's taking my time.  I struggled to put some black trim pieces back, trying to get it perfect.. and got it close enough.

Its basically disconnecting your battery, drain all coolant, loosen upper and lower hoses, remove grill, get radiator out (LOTS of screws in tight places, took the longest),
drop in new rad, replace all plumbing and screws, fill with recommended (follow your specs) coolant, and burp out the air.

If I can do it with my basic tools, you can too!  Just watch some videos.  I ordered my OEM radiator off Amazon or Ebay and it was cheap, cant remember what i paid, maybe around $150

Also, if you are going to go through with the install, you might as well drop in a new thermostat.  You're draining the entire system, and the upper hose connection will be dry.  A couple of screws
and you replace the thermostat easily.

My original oem radiator failed at around 90k miles.

If I would have had this repair at the Jeep dealership it would be just south of a thousand dollar job.  Take some time and watch youtube.  Its do-able man!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I did my 08 Wrangler back in the spring.  I am no mechanic.  It wasn't bad at all, I found a Jeep forum write up and watched a Youtube video or two,
and did it all in my driveway.

Took me about three hours, and that's taking my time.  I struggled to put some black trim pieces back, trying to get it perfect.. and got it close enough.

Its basically disconnecting your battery, drain all coolant, loosen upper and lower hoses, remove grill, get radiator out (LOTS of screws in tight places, took the longest),
drop in new rad, replace all plumbing and screws, fill with recommended (follow your specs) coolant, and burp out the air.

If I can do it with my basic tools, you can too!  Just watch some videos.  I ordered my OEM radiator off Amazon or Ebay and it was cheap, cant remember what i paid, maybe around $150

Also, if you are going to go through with the install, you might as well drop in a new thermostat.  You're draining the entire system, and the upper hose connection will be dry.  A couple of screws
and you replace the thermostat easily.

My original oem radiator failed at around 90k miles.

If I would have had this repair at the Jeep dealership it would be just south of a thousand dollar job.  Take some time and watch youtube.  Its do-able man!
View Quote
I would like to try it. Save money and learn something in the process. However the local vote of confidence is zilch. "'"Your gonna fuck it up, then it will have to be towed"" Of the videos i have watched on YT none of them have been for my specific year model  and make. One is 92 dakota that looks nothing like mine and the rest are durangos that have similarity.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Dodges are easy to work on.

Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't use stopleak again, you'll thank me if/when you ever pull the heads off.

Do yourself a favor and get a lisle funnel for the radiator if you ever plan on working on cooling system in the future, it's a nice investment for bleeding the system and prevents coolant getting everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not try a product called Alumaseal:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/alumaseal-powdered-radiator-stop-leak-asbp-73/7120024-P?searchTerm=alumaseal

Less than $3.50. Worth a shot.
Kinda like your advice,  worth about what it cost ?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I promise it's not hard at all to do. I'm retarded when it comes to automotive repair but it's pretty easy. I would imagine with a truck it would be even easier. Be sure to check the condition of the coolant hoses. If they look worn or cracked, just replace them. They aren't expensive. A hose bursting as you're driving sucks. Ask me how I know

YouTube is your friend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I promise it's not hard at all to do. I'm retarded when it comes to automotive repair but it's pretty easy. I would imagine with a truck it would be even easier. Be sure to check the condition of the coolant hoses. If they look worn or cracked, just replace them. They aren't expensive. A hose bursting as you're driving sucks. Ask me how I know

YouTube is your friend.
View Quote
Minus removing the bumper is this video any good?It's for an 03 dakota 2003 Dakota
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Finally getting around to ordering the parts from RA. Am i missing anything? Will these parts work is the grand question as well.  

1.Radiator
2. Radiator cap
3. Lower Hose
4. upper hose
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#34]
+1 on the nutdriver instead of trying to use a screwdriver on hose clamps
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah at thinking Amazon can ship a radiator through FedEx, UPS, USPS without damaging it.

I ordered a replacement radiator for my Pathfinder through Amazon, zero issues.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was gonna suggest the same about the stop leak. You should get all of it out. Hopefully it stayed in the old radiator. It's good for clogging up heater cores too. 
View Quote
This. I played hell getting my suburbans cooling system right from a p/o using that crap.  I had to flush both heater cores and the engine a couple of times to get the glitter out and the heat working again.

Replacing at least the hoses you mess with is a great idea and much easier to do now since they will be half removed anyway.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Factory radiator unless you just want 6 months out of your car before you get rid of it.  Rockauto crap is just that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Factory radiator unless you just want 6 months out of your car before you get rid of it.  Rockauto crap is just that.
View Quote
Well that helps
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I ordered a replacement radiator for my Pathfinder through Amazon, zero issues.
View Quote
I think i'm going to order the Spectra premium radiator from Amazon. RA's shipping cost is killing me. Also has better reviews than the one on Ra

Amazon Product
  • Innovative engineering, manufacturing technology and quality control ensure that Spectra Premium radiators meet or exceed the performance of the original equipment radiators they replace; that extends to all components, including engine and transmission
  • Maximum cooling efficiency
  • No modifications required for proper fit

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Why do you have to disconnect the battery when replacing the radiator??
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
While you’re in there order up and replace the radiator hoses while you’re at it. Rubber has finite life.

Maybe order a new radiator cap too for piece of mind.

Also if you’re feeling real frisky go ahead an replace the thermostat while you’re in there.

Another 40-50 in parts replaced while you’re in there anyway is good preventive maintenance.
View Quote
This thermostats are super cheap and when radiator is out its usually really easy to swap the thermostat and hoses in one shot.  Then that system will be good for thousands of miles.

And like mentions the personal satisfaction of doing the job yourself.  Plus the money saved can get you some new gun stuff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I assume to prevent any accidental metal on metal contact.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#43]
A stick went through the radiator and AC condenser on my 2004 Dakota earlier this year. Both were replaced with eBay aftermarket from the same vendor and the quality seemed to be surprisingly good. They came with no finish so I hit the front with rattle can flat black.

The idea of cheap replacement parts usually bothers me but this truck is semi retired and is only driven once a week or so. OEM was discontinued.

So far, I'd have no problem recommending this brand. There's plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how it's done.

Cheap Dakota radiator.

ETA: This is a good time to replace the thermostat. OEM is cheap from Quirk on eBay. Take a good look at the hoses too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A stick went through the radiator and AC condenser on my 2004 Dakota earlier this year. Both were replaced with eBay aftermarket from the same vendor and the quality seemed to be surprisingly good. They came with no finish so I hit the front with rattle can flat black.

The idea of cheap replacement parts usually bothers me but this truck is semi retired and is only driven once a week or so. OEM was discontinued.

So far, I'd have no problem recommending this brand. There's plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how it's done.

Cheap Dakota radiator.

ETA: This is a good time to replace the thermostat. OEM is cheap from Quirk on eBay. Take a good look at the hoses too.
View Quote
That's a pretty damn good price. I am only looking at keeping this truck till i get a better paying job then it goes. Really wanting a tacoma or the new ranger.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Common first step to disconnect power to the vehicle before starting repairs.

Yes, I know there are plenty of scenarios where disconnecting the battery is overkill, but for newb's it is a wise step.  If said newb has no idea how to disconnect the battery, it is the first indicator they should close the hood and walk away.

Plus, there is always Mr. Murphy lurking in the shadows on Sunday, after all the parts stores are closed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Common first step to disconnect power to the vehicle before starting repairs.

Yes, I know there are plenty of scenarios where disconnecting the battery is overkill, but for newb's it is a wise step.  If said newb has no idea how to disconnect the battery, it is the first indicator they should close the hood and walk away.

Plus, there is always Mr. Murphy lurking in the shadows on Sunday, after all the parts stores are closed.
View Quote
Even i know how to disconnect a battery. Now it does get a little more complicated than that when the vehicle is all electric. Still haven't got a chance to respond to a car fire involving that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because lawyers.

I never do.  It's silly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would head down to Pick N Pull and grab a clean used one.

I think they are 30 bucks here.
View Quote
To save $50-60? I wouldn't do that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Update:

Radiator was fixed on Monday. Also took care of the check engine light. I had a mechanical friend with own shop help me with everything. He did a damn fine job. Replaced the Rad, Upper hose, Rad cap, Lower Hose. Was going to replace the thermostat but the part i got from JC Whitney wouldn't fit. No since in returning it since JCW return shipping costs more than the part. They comped it for me. The process in removing and reinstalling the new rad was more complicated than the videos on youtube FWIW.

Also @eric496 Thank you for the link on the radiator from ebay. Works perfect so far.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top