Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No

that mac box was a beauty
View Quote
He should be able to get new slides for it. Now depending on what tools were in it it could be very bad. Air tools don't like water.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm gonna guess it's fixable in a mechanical sense.  If the fusebox and breakers didn't get wet, and no water in the engine, ot might very well start up and run.  

Speakers, carpet and seats?  Could be smelly!  

Take all the carpet and seats out, door panels off if possible.  Rinse or pressure wash, let air dry for 5 or 6 days.

Waterlogged shit is heavy!
View Quote
Have you worked on the electrical system of a car since the year 2000?

ABS computer - near the master cylinder
Transmission computer - sometimes under the back seat
Engine computer - generally up high, but I've seen them relatively low in the chassis.
Not to mention the wiring that is down low: brake sensors, transmission sensors, etc.

Now add virtual 100% humidity environment for a couple of weeks.  I'd bet the interior of the dome light is filled with water and starting to corrode.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn.  Let's just say I'd buy you a beer, but I wouldn't donate to the GoFundMe.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
what depth did the water reach? maximum wade depth of the Q7 is 500mm or about 20 inches. do you see a water level showing how high it got? if its not higher then that you might actually be OK. the biggest problem on the Q7 would be the transmission vent tube, but the vent tube is in the cowel, if it got over the cowel your fucked.

basically. how deep did it get?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Sucks, to see your homestead.
On the other hand I have seen your work so I have faith in your recovery.
Nose to the grind stone and God bless Texas.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude.  That sucks.

You are no where close to covered with that flood insurance. 

On the bright side you get to remodel the kitchen again?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Guess ill be buying only new cars for the next 5 years.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Damn.  Let's just say I'd buy you a beer, but I wouldn't donate to the GoFundMe.
View Quote
When this is all over and rebuilt I'll be buying the beers. Planning a neighborhood block party. There are usually about six houses in our neighborhood that will take on water when it floods. This time I don't know of a single home that escaped. Thought my sons house was going to be safe up on the big ass hill his was built on but he still go an inch and a half in the house. Just enough to screw everything up. Mine was 22 inches in the house, about 26 in the garages. No go fund me account! Let's just say that there is a much needed cleansing going on around the house at the moment. Been getting rid of excess for the past four years and doubling down here the past couple weeks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#11]
They'll probably be bought by scammers cheap, dried off then sold as used despite the salvage/junk titles. They did it up here big time after Sandy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I want OPs job
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They'll probably be bought by scammers cheap, dried off then sold as used despite the salvage/junk titles. They did it up here big time after Sandy.
View Quote
Coming to a Carmax near you in 2018.  One time I looked at a car that had a water line halfway up the interior all the way around, and enough sand in the seats to fill a 5gal bucket.  Was it in a flood?  No sir, not that we're aware of.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#14]
... Looking forward, have you considered moving out of a known flood plain?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I want OPs job
View Quote
OP and his wife are just hard working unedumacated high school grads who have always worked their asses off. If my dumb ass can do it, anyone can.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
... Looking forward, have you considered moving out of a known flood plain?
View Quote
Been living here 25 years and never had water get anywhere close to coming in my house regardless of the floods or hurricanes. Always been told "you don't need flood insurance", but have always kept it. Completely overbuilt for the neighborhood with no intentions of selling so no, not considered moving. Love this old house. If it happens again, whatever the water doesn't get, the fire probably will....
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not the elsinores!
View Quote

I'll take them OP 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got so caught up helping everyone else do stuff and save stuff that my own stuff got neglected until the end. When "go time" hits, well it's go time. Glad I had all my ammo in 50 cal cans. The ones I popped open still all seem dry. The gun safes...let's just say they are not waterproof. I boated back in to pull them all out of the water.
View Quote
Kind of makes me wonder if you could waterproof a gun safe.  Like make sure there aren't any leaks on the main box of it way ahead of time, then when the shit is coming fill the door seam with silicone, close it and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh I could puke for you man. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
The dirt bikes could have been saved if handled quickly.  I've seen plenty go completely under.  Flip it upside down and pump the water out then back to racing
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Kind of makes me wonder if you could waterproof a gun safe.  Like make sure there aren't any leaks on the main box of it way ahead of time, then when the shit is coming fill the door seam with silicone, close it and hope for the best.
View Quote
And seal the lock up.

But if I think about it, maybe this:
1) Throw as many large bags of desiccant in as you can.
2) Use jacks and slide a couple of big sheets of poly underneath.  and something soft to go under the wheels.
3) Lift the poly up the sides and secure loosely.

Idea is that the water will press the poly against the safe body, but not actually penetrate.  If it overtops the safe, yer fucked, unless you have a heat sealer and lots of luck.  The desiccant is to pull out the moisture that will inevitably get past the seals into the body of the safe.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The dirt bikes could have been saved if handled quickly.  I've seen plenty go completely under.  Flip it upside down and pump the water out then back to racing
View Quote
Most got water in the wheels, a couple in the engines. A good friend rented a 26 foot U-Haul and came and picked up about 15-20 of them to clean up for me. Another friend came and got three in his truck. There are a bunch of others in pieces that went under and will be screwed pretty good by the time I get a chance to do anything with them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh I could puke for you man. Fuck that.
View Quote
Maybe this will help.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Those actually look salvageable. I'm on the MS coast I would gladly help you clean them up with you wanted to take a vacation.

The wooden stocks would be the worst.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry, OP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Years ago my Dad's Pontiac 6000 was flooded and "repaired."  It seemed OK except the front bench seat rusted in place. An Audi? There are so many electronics it's probably done for. You will probably have gremlins for the rest of its life.

Quoted:
It should only be a little worse than a not flooded Audi.
View Quote
Should have been first post.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#29]
If salty water it's toast...
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry that you got hit by the flooding, OP.  It sucks, but all those things are mere possessions.  You and your family came though things unharmed and that may be the very best thing that could happen.

As far as recovery, your guns, bikes and most of your tools should be relatively easy repairs.  The car is toast and your house is going to need a lot of work. But you are going to be able to recover.

I will suggest that your new gun safe be installed on a platform that puts the top of the safe right at ceiling height.  It might save a lot of grief if there is a next time for flooding.  Plus if you have a platform welded up, you will have ammo storage space underneath.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#31]
You can expect moisture.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like you need a gun and tool cleaning party.

My neighborhood only had flooding due to some clogged underground drains in some of the back yards. We were lucky.

My neighbors and I have been helping friends muck out and dry out. You have my sympathies.

A friend had 6 feet due to reservoir release. The water was there for over a week. He has flood insurance, but a rough estimate puts him at over $1,000,000 of loss. The first floor looked more like there had been a fire than a flood. Remember someone always has it worse.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#33]
That's terrible.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#34]
This is exactly why I created a thread asking what everyone was doing with their guns when evacuating Florida from Irma.

I would be not pleasant to be around if I was in your shoes. Sorry you have to deal with this.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would bet that a roll of Gorilla tape and a plastic bowl with a big old bead of RTV around the rim would work just fine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Most got water in the wheels, a couple in the engines. A good friend rented a 26 foot U-Haul and came and picked up about 15-20 of them to clean up for me. Another friend came and got three in his truck. There are a bunch of others in pieces that went under and will be screwed pretty good by the time I get a chance to do anything with them.
View Quote
at a minimum pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with WD40 or oil, that'll buy you time to fix them later, or make them shop fixable..    I've seen bikes that spent a week under water get fixed without a huge hassle.  Even the wiring was Ok after a long dry out and selective replacement. The wheel bearings are replacable easily and the tanks can be drained and rinsed pretty easily.  It's sort of a . PITA but I doubt you completely lose any of them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#37]
... it can be repaired, but it will be fairly costly
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe install a dike this time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Get the water out of the cylinder and gearbox and they'll survive
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The wife's Audi Q7 went under with Hurricane Harvey. 18 months old with 17,000 miles.  Bought it for $67,500.00 back in January 2016. Was the brand new 17 body style that had just hit the dealers floor that week. How bad is this going to hurt? Almost had it paid off. Freshly detailed the week before the storm. On a side note, it's amazing how much shit floats!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/377823/IMG950422_2-311433.JPG
View Quote

The Audi totaled out and the insurance company paid $63435.00 to tow it away. Also got $1050.00 full payout for rental/loss of use and Audi refunded the $1594.00 for the prepaid service through 60,000 miles that we never used. Buying that brand new early release body style with very little negotiation off of list actually paid off well this time. We only owed 10k on it so this money will help get the house back in order while the insurance company continues to drag their feet on the house and content claims. Three weeks post hurricane and the adjuster told me it will be ten days to two weeks before he has his estimate submitted to the company for "review".
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Man, that totally sucks.  The worst thing though, is that it could potentially happen again next year... and the year after... and the year after that.  I couldn't stand living in the bottom of an empty swimming pool that just needs the right storm to fill it back up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I expected the number to be close to purchase price since it is the current model year there are no used cars to compare its value to, only new ones.

The bikes look salvageable. Good thing about them is little to no electronics on them. I would drain all the fluids and refill and run them. You may have carb issues but that's it. Also im not sure how wheel bearings on. Dritbikes work but that would get my attention.

I would go buy as much wd-40 as you can find and hose down everything metal with it. It will displace the water and prevent rusting. This includes the bike the safe and the guns. Take the guns apart and dry them and soak them either in wd40 or clp.

The wood furniture on the guns is my concern.

It all goes down to how fast you can get everything sprayed down to prevent surface rusting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

OP and his wife are just hard working unedumacated high school grads who have always worked their asses off. If my dumb ass can do it, anyone can.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The Audi totaled out and the insurance company paid $63435.00 to tow it away. Also got $1050.00 full payout for rental/loss of use and Audi refunded the $1594.00 for the prepaid service through 60,000 miles that we never used. Buying that brand new early release body style with very little negotiation off of list actually paid off well this time. We only owed 10k on it so this money will help get the house back in order while the insurance company continues to drag their feet on the house and content claims. Three weeks post hurricane and the adjuster told me it will be ten days to two weeks before he has his estimate submitted to the company for "review".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The wife's Audi Q7 went under with Hurricane Harvey. 18 months old with 17,000 miles.  Bought it for $67,500.00 back in January 2016. Was the brand new 17 body style that had just hit the dealers floor that week. How bad is this going to hurt? Almost had it paid off. Freshly detailed the week before the storm. On a side note, it's amazing how much shit floats!

was that their first offer?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Shame you don't own Jack stands.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Submerged bikes live...dirt bikes anyway.  My Baja racing friend dunked his and had it running 20 minutes later.  Completely submerged.

Someday they'll figure out how to coffer dam the garage.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#48]
That's a strange boat.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did catch that it is a 1 1/2 year old vehicle (an Audi at that) with 17,000 miles on it? Not a chance in hell I would have gotten that much for that car anywhere else. I know when to keep my mouth shut...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You did catch that it is a 1 1/2 year old vehicle (an Audi at that) with 17,000 miles on it? Not a chance in hell I would have gotten that much for that car anywhere else. I know when to keep my mouth shut...
View Quote

3k rental for 18 months on a nice Audi SUV?

Not too shabby. That's damn near Toyota truck depreciation levels right there.

Plus the prepaid maintenance.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top