Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not bragging when you're a manager at Burger King.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Did OP's boss tell him to put his phone down and get to work?

I think I'll have a margarita at my desk today, I might even wait until noon.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Time served doesn't automatically equal more pay dude.  That entire concept is some bullshit the liberals came up with.  And it's completely fucking wrong.  Join a union if you want your pay based on arbitrary bullshit instead of merit.  Grats on your salary tho.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
coming into a job and making more than people who've been there for like 10-20 years lmaooo

muh loyalty

Time served doesn't automatically equal more pay dude.  That entire concept is some bullshit the liberals came up with.  And it's completely fucking wrong.  Join a union if you want your pay based on arbitrary bullshit instead of merit.  Grats on your salary tho.
Yeah, people need to learn that. It's funny when managers get upset about it.

We've got brand new cybersecurity folks making more than their boss' boss' boss, because that's just what that position pays these days.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I've read this thread and I have no idea what a "Project Manager" is or does.
View Quote
They use a predetermined template or system (you can google stage-gate process for an example) to deliver something within a schedule and budget.

It's an interesting position, in that most people that need to be completing tasks for your project don't usually report to you.  So it takes some finesse.

The idea is that the project manager keeps all the team members on task to drive toward a goal, and it really doesn't matter what the project is supposed to produce (a new blender, or a new computer program) those same tools can be used to keep a team on track. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We've got brand new cybersecurity folks making more than their boss' boss' boss, because that's just what that position pays these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
coming into a job and making more than people who've been there for like 10-20 years lmaooo

muh loyalty

The Peter Principle 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
You're only supposed to work at Subway for a few years and move on. You must work with a bunch of losers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

it is not silly when it is factually correct.  Current EOL medical costs are staggeringly huge and fiscally unsustainable for the government/taxpayers.
View Quote
Yet lots of doctors still talking 80 plus year olds into having expensive procedures that may extend their lives slightly but not really improve their quality of life and maybe even degrade it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know their names but I've spent enough years in a shop environment to know cutting up with the young kid doesn't equal them not talking shit the moment you walk back in the AC.  

Which was a brag. Like being assigned to a job in an AC area somehow makes you smarter or better. I've worked in plenty of shops and have seen the same thing all over.

You work in a manufacturing facility in the rust belt. I wouldn't count on making 30 years. Call it a hunch.

As for enjoying working I work for myself now which means I have an asshole for a boss.

Its good you are successful at your job but some free advice from a guy who was in your same spot twenty years ago: Manage your money, don't buy stupid shit, get as much education/certifications as you can on the company dime and be ready when the hammer falls. History says it will. Good luck.
View Quote
Seeing as the average tenure here is "life" and the shop has been around for almost 150 years I think I have a good chance. I am in AC because of my education and my certificates. Doesn't mean I am smarter just I have more education. You got it all wrong my friend. We talk shit to each other's faces. This isn't a hospital or call center with a bunch of drama. We work well together, we get along and learn from each other. I have worked good and bad jobs in the past. But now I am one of the few who enjoys being at work.  

Eta: do you think I can't be friends with the older guys simply because I am younger? Do you think I am lazy and can't do manual jobs because of my birth date? Trying to figure out where you're coming from here? 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yet lots of doctors still talking 80 plus year olds into having expensive procedures that may extend their lives slightly but not really improve their quality of life and maybe even degrade it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is not silly when it is factually correct.  Current EOL medical costs are staggeringly huge and fiscally unsustainable for the government/taxpayers.
That's all doctors ever do.

Doctors don't want to cure shit.  They just want to treat symptoms and sell more scans, pills, surgeries, and visits.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Doctors don't want to cure shit.  They just want to treat symptoms and sell more scans, pills, surgeries, and visits.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm,
ERs are full of old people that can't be fixed the doctors want to leave in peace,
But the families and nursing homes keep sending and bringing them in.

You think a neurosurgeon actually wants to take an 89 year old demented patient on blood thinners to the OR?
Nope.
It's the families wanting everything done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
lol at retiring at 65-67
I plan on retiring officially in my 50s and working something very low stress to stay busy.
View Quote
lol at retiring in your '50s.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]
OP needs to get back to us in 20 yrs after life has beat the shit out of him some.

It has a sneaky way of doing that.

Best part of NOT being a millennial is understanding nothing stays the same, and past performance does not predict future results.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Millennials in the Work Place AICC Video
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP needs to get back to us in 20 yrs after life has beat the shit out of him some.

It has a sneaky way of doing that.

Best part of NOT being a millennial is understanding nothing stays the same, and past performance does not predict future results.
View Quote
I'd say OP should listen to this but the  millennial mindset is your old pops and don't know jack.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol at retiring at 65-67
I plan on retiring officially in my 50s and working something very low stress to stay busy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seeing as the average tenure here is "life" and the shop has been around for almost 150 years I think I have a good chance. I am in AC because of my education and my certificates. Doesn't mean I am smarter just I have more education. You got it all wrong my friend. We talk shit to each other's faces. This isn't a hospital or call center with a bunch of drama. We work well together, we get along and learn from each other. I have worked good and bad jobs in the past. But now I am one of the few who enjoys being at work.  

Eta: do you think I can't be friends with the older guys simply because I am younger? Do you think I am lazy and can't do manual jobs because of my birth date? Trying to figure out where you're coming from here? 
View Quote
Are you the OP's troll account?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I made good money also before I retired...........I never felt it funny that people were making far less than I was at work.

Why is that funny to you?
View Quote
I never understood this.  

What another person earns is their business.
What I earn is my business.

So long as they are not actively taking money out of my pocket, what do I care?    People focus so much on other people and what they earn or what they have.

Perhaps people should focus more on themselves?    
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol at retiring at 65-67
People say "retire" when they really mean to say "changed jobs".

My neighbor is retired but makes jewelry for extra money. He made poor choices and although he had/has a rich wife (a Dominican who's family owns a gem mine) he gets no money from her and they no longer live in the same house.

Anyway, I took a few days off this week and I told him I was pretending I was retired. He asked me what I planned to do when I retire.

I don't think we use the term in the same way. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the OP is happy he has a job. He had to post about it. Congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#20]
So we have five pages of this and we never heard how much hes making or exactly what project he's managing, or did I miss it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just remember there is a new generation coming up behind you.
View Quote
who will be saying the same thing about you that you are now saying
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you the OP's troll account?
View Quote
Something to say?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They use a predetermined template or system (you can google stage-gate process for an example) to deliver something within a schedule and budget.

It's an interesting position, in that most people that need to be completing tasks for your project don't usually report to you.  So it takes some finesse.

The idea is that the project manager keeps all the team members on task to drive toward a goal, and it really doesn't matter what the project is supposed to produce (a new blender, or a new computer program) those same tools can be used to keep a team on track. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I've read this thread and I have no idea what a "Project Manager" is or does.

Thanks.

Interesting.

What happens to the project manager when the project is completed?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks.

Interesting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Interesting.

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

muh loyalty
View Quote

That's not really a millennial thing OP.  People have been riding that train for decades.  It's all a matter of priorities.  When you are young, it is all about the money and perceived "respect" (because you are making good money).  Later on, other things become important (vacation, friends, family, security, etc).

I agree, though.  Far too many people show loyalty to a business that really doesn't have much loyalty to them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm not sure millennials will miss pensions.  With a 401k (or equivalent) or IRA, it's my money and I can invest it according to my own risk profile and retirement timeline.  I don't have to worry about the company or pension fund going bankrupt, the PBGC being underfunded, or the pension being modified detrimentally post-retirement.

Personally, I'll take a decent 401k match with low ER investment options over a pension any day of the week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is a word millennial's will never know. Pension.............

It makes a nice 5k addition per month to the nest egg.
I'm not sure millennials will miss pensions.  With a 401k (or equivalent) or IRA, it's my money and I can invest it according to my own risk profile and retirement timeline.  I don't have to worry about the company or pension fund going bankrupt, the PBGC being underfunded, or the pension being modified detrimentally post-retirement.

Personally, I'll take a decent 401k match with low ER investment options over a pension any day of the week.
I have a matching 401K plan also through work. 6% match.

couple decades of that, [not all at a 6% match though] plus the pension, that works pretty well with my other retirement junk. Don't know if I will cash out the entire pension, do a 50% cash out or just draw the full amount til I croak. That depends on my health at retirement, I have to live past 83 to do better on the pension then the cash out but the cash out means if I die, my heir will get the cash out amount minus anything spent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ding Ding ding.

I've job hopped around the 18th month mark a few times. Each time it has netted me a $20k raise. Went From $10/hr in 2013 to $100k /yr in 4 years.

Also, I'm a project manager
View Quote
Until you run in to the likes of me. I don't hire unloyal, unstable job hoppers who fail in the commitment category.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
must suck to not have the balls to go after what you're actually worth
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody cares how much you make buddy.
must suck to not have the balls to go after what you're actually worth
Actually, most, but not all new hires are making 40-50% less than those they replace.....

LOL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nothing is funnier than seeing younger people learn life lessons the hard way.
View Quote
Not true. It's funnier watching older people continue to make the same mistakes they were making three decades ago, and being bitter about it. At least youngsters have an excuse. 

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol at retiring at 65-67
That would suck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Until you run in to the likes of me. I don't hire unloyal, unstable job hoppers who fail in the commitment category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding Ding ding.

I've job hopped around the 18th month mark a few times. Each time it has netted me a $20k raise. Went From $10/hr in 2013 to $100k /yr in 4 years.

Sounds like he didn't run into you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hahahahahahahaha!  Not in the office I work in, rookie.  Not even close.  But thanks for the post interview laughs.  
View Quote
Unfortunately, in my department, this is 110% truth.  We have some people been on for 6 months making .50/hr less than people been on for 10-12 years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That would suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol at retiring at 65-67
That would suck.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding Ding ding.

What's really going to happen is...

He'll job hop to the point where it's obvious he's getting more than he's worth, and the last company in the line will realize this, then... "eliminate the position".
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top