Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome post, OP.

Thanks for the photos of those beauties.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People grouching about "Canned hunts" make me laugh.  If you're hunting with anything other than your bare hands, naked, you're not doing it "the natural way".  It's only a matter of degree.  Next thing, people will be complaining that McDonald's doesn't use free-range beef or something.
View Quote
This is real retarded sir. If you can't see the difference between a fair chase hunt and animals that have never been captive and handled by man than you don't know what you're talking about.

I'll say it again. I have no problem with people paying top dollar to shoot livestock. There is nothing wrong with it. Just don't pretend it's he same as real hunting.

More power to you OP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Idaho.

I'll probably never shoot one.

But, I respect what you do.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome deer.

I hunt in Northern Michigan, and for years we only ever saw small bucks. The past 5 years or so our county has been part of an antler point restriction and they have been getting better and better. I shot this one last year. Scores probably half or less than what you are getting but, maybe in another 5-6 years. I have some on camera that are probably close to 140 and they make me giddy as is. This scored unofficially 117 3/8 using the tape they sell to get an easy rough estimate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Awesome deer.

I hunt in Northern Michigan, and for years we only ever saw small bucks. The past 5 years or so our county has been part of an antler point restriction and they have been getting better and better. I shot this one last year. Scores probably half or less than what you are getting but, maybe in another 5-6 years. I have some on camera that are probably close to 140 and they make me giddy as is. This scored unofficially 117 3/8 using the tape they sell to get an easy rough estimate.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278107/20170814_171648-1494x2656-311282.JPG
View Quote
I'd be proud of that, anywhere!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
WTF? Not only do you Texans bait deer with corn now you raise them in a pen until they're big enough to shoot? And people pay those ridiculous prices?
View Quote
never underestimate the determination of a fudd

hunting big game in the east is done, it's a joke now, i get a kick out of watching the local fudds get frustrated because there's nothing to kill

canned hunts are the future, there's profit to be made evident by this thread

this bears repeating the 2nd has nothing to do with hunting
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Already covered. Yes. Strict guidelines by the state, and even stricter by good ranches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they tested for CWD?
Already covered. Yes. Strict guidelines by the state, and even stricter by good ranches.
Sorry, must have skimmed right over it. That is the only problem I have with this type of operation. The ability these farms have of producing amazing antlers is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Respectfully...that's bullshit.

You are pen raising deer, feeding them, and releasing them to hunters who kill pen raised deer for money.

That's not hunting...it's buying deer and the price sheet is above.  

When you can select the deer you want to shoot from a catalog of photos...it's not huntiing.  

This brings shame on legitimate sport hunting.  Plus...it directly spreads disease into wild populations.  It should be illegal.
View Quote
Who can sell me a trophy tuna I can release in my swimming pool to fish for? I will proudly display it in my wall to illustrate to everyone how I'm a badass angler. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WTF? Not only do you Texans bait deer with corn now you raise them in a pen until they're big enough to shoot? And people pay those ridiculous prices?
View Quote
No different than raising cattle for market except someone gets to participate in the process and take home the entire animal instead of buying just a slice in a styrofoam tray. If  there are folks with that kind of disposable income, I think it's great that there is an industry that can accommodate them.  

As for me, I'm like the other hunters, buck, doe, it eats all the same to me. Frankly I'd rather take a doe. I don't hunt for trophies, I hunt for groceries.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
$3,000-$10,000 for a damn farm deer in a high fence shoot LOL a fool and their money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I've hunted pigs for the last 2 years on a 800 acre low fence ranch in Texas. The place is a couple hours south west of Dallas.
The ranch has a managed deer herd on it.

For all you "shooting fish in a barrel" whiners. Respectfully you have no clue what the hell your talking about.

As part of our package, we can take a cull buck if the chance presents itself. We do however have to pay for the pleasure of doing the culling work. Game camera photos of the cull bucks are handed out with specific identifying features.

Those "managed" deer are just as wild and cagey as their western mule deer cousins that live in the wild. I have yet had one run up and say shoot me.

Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

$3,000-$10,000 for a damn farm deer in a high fence shoot LOL a fool and their money.
View Quote
I've been spending $2-4,000/year on hunting (not including guns, trucks, ATVs) for the last 16 years.  I will never see a buck anywhere near the size of these farm monsters.
It's not something that appeals to most hunters, but if harvesting a massive farm deer is one's goal, the price sounds like a bargain.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sorry, must have skimmed right over it. That is the only problem I have with this type of operation. The ability these farms have of producing amazing antlers is unbelievable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they tested for CWD?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've hunted pigs for the last 2 years on a 800 acre low fence ranch in Texas. The place is a couple hours south west of Dallas.
The ranch has a managed deer herd on it.

For all you "shooting fish in a barrel" whiners. Respectfully you have no clue what the hell your talking about.

As part of our package, we can take a cull buck if the chance presents itself. We do however have to pay for the pleasure of doing the culling work. Game camera photos of the cull bucks are handed out with specific identifying features.

Those "managed" deer are just as wild and cagey as their western mule deer cousins that live in the wild. I have yet had one run up and say shoot me.

Just my 2 cents
View Quote
Exactly.  Not the way some with ZERO knowledge make it out to be.
I am AGAINST unfair hunting too. But I also know the difference and so do the real record keeping associations.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can only imagine how shitty it would be to "hunt" one of those
View Quote
Yeah, the whole thing strikes me as unnatural and the killing of one of those "things" is certainly nothing to brag on.

That said the manner of person that would avail themselves of that kind of "hunt" is not someone I would care to associate myself with.....Same with those that perpetuate the practice.

I figure it's only a matter of time before breeders unleash some disease into the natural whitetail population.....And they won't bat a eye.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't have a problem with it.

I am here in southern Illinois where there aren't any wild pheasants or quail.

If I want my dogs to get some exposure to birds, then I have to buy pen raised birds.

Now...as to the why the quail populations have dropped off so much... that could be another thread in itself.

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got one!!!

Go away PETA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't have a problem with it.

I am here in southern Illinois where there aren't any wild pheasants or quail.

If I want my dogs to get some exposure to birds, then I have to buy pen raised birds.

Now...as to the why the quail populations have dropped off so much... that could be another thread in itself.

View Quote
They're decimating the grubworm population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN0qpz81XVc
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#20]
How big does a fenced area have to be not be a canned hunt for you naysayers?

Is stocking a pond with bass canned fishing?

Bunch of slack jawed faggots up in here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, the whole thing strikes me as unnatural and the killing of one of those "things" is certainly nothing to brag on.

That said the manner of person that would avail themselves of that kind of "hunt" is not someone I would care to associate myself with.....Same with those that perpetuate the practice.

I figure it's only a matter of time before breeders unleash some disease into the natural whitetail population.....And they won't bat a eye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good points. That is why the forum exists. Until the name calling dumbasses fuck it up.
But, the thread was not intended for this argument in the first place.
But, arf gd... Lol!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It wasn't.  Sad. But it doesn't reflect "the norm". The super rich, who aren't true sportsmen, fuel that.
Then, there are arguments about every damn thing. Bait deer with corn? Most bucks know better.
You hunt free range deer? Do you hunt over harvested fields? Water sources? Mast, meaning heavy acorn crops, etc?

Too many arguments. Is camo clothing "fair"?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Do you get to dart them, or just herd them into other pens?

Got pulled off a job by my old boss years ago and he had me go to his property where there were dozens to maybe low hundreds of deer of that size. Gave me a tranq gun and an atv and we drove around shooting the ones he pointed out. Then drove them to the trailer for harvesting their essential fluids.

Most fun I've had at work, and he paid me double for the day.

Those pens were high fence and shrouded so you couldn't see what was in them. Said he didn't want drunken poachers shooting any through the fence.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome deer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278107/20170814_171648-1494x2656-311282.JPG
LOL, why would anyone be proud of the size of the rack on the deer they shot while they were hiding in the bushes?

It's not like you put on a pair of shorts and fight the thing to the death, bare handed, in a cage match.

They're nuisance animals. Good riddance to them when you shoot one, and I don't care how it''s done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#25]
What do you do with the antlers you cut off?

I'm looking for some to use to make knife handles, and possibly pistol grips from. Just as a hobby / something I want to try
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pretty close to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bucks only produce semen when in hard antlers.
Not surprising. Growing antlers is hard work.
Don't they lose about 15% of bone mass during antler growth?
Pretty close to it.
In light of that, do you feed them extra supplements like calcium during antler time? Since they are in captivity it seems like it would be an easy addition to their food... or do they only graze? Just curious...

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Those are some insane prices.
View Quote
If you think that's bad, don't go to the White Mountain Apache site. 

http://outdoor8.wixsite.com/new-hunting-page/trophy-elk
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good points. That is why the forum exists. Until the name calling dumbasses fuck it up.
But, arf gd... Lol!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, arf gd... Lol!
Well when someone starts a thread about something unnatural what do you expect?

Managing a natural resource is one thing, perpetuating the breeding of "things" to hunt is something else.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#29]
IIRC, a typical deer's range is about a square mile, or 640 acres, so it would seem that much over that under "high fence" would be virtually indistinguishable from so called "open range".

The purpose of the fence is as much to keep out unwanted genetics and species as to keep "exotics" from entering the external ecosystems.

Mule Deer and Whitetail crosses are pretty much a disaster for the offspring and other crosses could produce similar unwanted results. When fleeing danger the Muley/Whitetail cross doesn't know whether to run or stott (look it up) and winds up being some coyote/couger/wolf's lunch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This man gets it.

I admit there are shady canned places, but OP's operation is not one of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How big of a ranch is the place you work?

I help out year around on a ~9000 acre cattle ranch, in east Texas, with game management. No hunting or pen raising/breeding/selling, the owner just likes to see monster bucks when he visits. (Largest to come off the place was 256")

I am loling at people bitching about picking a deer to shoot. We might see a particular buck and not see it in person or on camera again for 2-3 years
This man gets it.

There was a research project done by the Michigan DNR in the 60's I think it was. Basically they penned off a square mile of land and put I think it was 5 bucks in. They let them learn the land then put in some seasoned buck hunters.
Took those buck hunters something like 5 days to even see a deer.
Older bucks aren't dumb.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You are pen raising deer, feeding them, and releasing them to hunters who kill pen raised deer for money.

When you can select the deer you want to shoot from a catalog of photos...it's not huntiing.  

This brings shame on legitimate sport hunting.  Plus...it directly spreads disease into wild populations.  It should be illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate to tell you guys calling them canned hunts, they are not.  We have deer that have been loose for 4 years or more still running around.

They are not seen unless on game cameras or a brief moment.

Canned hunts are a northern "preserve" thing Texas has acreage not 150 acres that is called a "game preserve".

Yeah pretty much this. It's fucking weird. Not saying there should be laws against it or anything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Managing a natural resource is one thing, perpetuating the breeding of "things" to hunt is something else.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, arf gd... Lol!

Again, good point. I can see both sides. But OP isn't the bad guy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There was a research project done by the Michigan DNR in the 60's I think it was. Basically they penned off a square mile of land and put I think it was 5 bucks in. They let them learn the land then put in some seasoned buck hunters.
Older bucks aren't dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How big of a ranch is the place you work?

I help out year around on a ~9000 acre cattle ranch, in east Texas, with game management. No hunting or pen raising/breeding/selling, the owner just likes to see monster bucks when he visits. (Largest to come off the place was 256")

I am loling at people bitching about picking a deer to shoot. We might see a particular buck and not see it in person or on camera again for 2-3 years
This man gets it.

Older bucks aren't dumb.
True. Other studies have produced less. But, the arguments rage. I take no sides, but I am objective.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Who can sell me a trophy tuna I can release in my swimming pool to fish for? I will proudly display it in my wall to illustrate to everyone how I'm a badass angler. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to see everyone in TX isnt retarded.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How big does a fenced area have to be not be a canned hunt for you naysayers?

Is stocking a pond with bass canned fishing?

Bunch of slack jawed faggots up in here.
View Quote
fudding is serious business

i'll repeat, 2nd has nothing to do with hunting

cracks me up the first thing a fudd does is question your manhood because you don't fudd
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Ignore the haters OP I love seeing your posts and thanks for sharing. One thing though, if you get anywhere near the San Saba/Brady area delivering them don't stop for gas or food. You'd walk out and find one missing and it'll be on my place. :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol this. The word "hunting" means something very different in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lol this. The word "hunting" means something very different in Texas.
View Quote
Yeah. Mr. No state..
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge operating a business where there's a profit. More power to the OP on that front. I just think it's ridiculous that 99.9% of these trophy's will be proudly displayed on the walls of buffoon's that will act as though they are master hunters. They will be able to carry on a great cocktail party conversations with all the people that had guides drag them to the top of Everest.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I find it interesting that those who a bitching about this method of hunting, choose to not state their location.

I would be interested to hear from some of these folks where they are from and what their life experiences are related to the outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas did fine until "assholes" invaded.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They're decimating the grubworm population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN0qpz81XVc
View Quote
In all seriousness...

it gets a little tin foil hat-y, but it has been rumored that the state DNR's purposely brought in coyote to control the deer populations.

The DNR didn't realize that coyotes were such an opportunist and would rather pick off quail which roost on the ground.

Well...that's one theory anyway.

Then there are the turkey....

of course, big farmers buying out smaller farms didn't help either...and pulling up the fences and farming from one ditch to the next ditch took away a lot of their cover.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Texas did fine until "assholes" invaded.
View Quote
Are you calling me an asshole because I don't agree with you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Any Northern genetics in those guys?  Impressive animals..

I have done a great deal of EHD WND Blue tongue work.  Hopefully, it isn't much of an issue in your area.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ok.  It is a BILLION dollar industry in Texas.  Go be whatever somewhere else, I don't remember what the word is after, Go Be, but whatever.

We are severely regulated by TPWD.  We have taken measures to prevent CWD in our herd  since 2008 and have not brought in outside animals since 2010 for fear of CWD.

The deer we let loose are two and three year old and get acclimated to the ranch before they are shot.

We also have an 8' fence surrounding the ranch with another 3' burried.  

I killed over 500 hogs off this place and we have zero hogs now.

As for your claims of it not being a hunt, spend the time and money with me and I can get you a quality deer, maybe not the one you saw in a game camera photo but one similar.

That is what happens on a propperly managed ranch.

Don't get your panties in a wad because you only see four pointers on public lands in Kentucky.
View Quote
The very definition of a canned hunt.

Some of us in the west don't realize how blessed we are to have the public lands that Texas doesn't. I'll take my chances in the forests or BLM land.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Some of us in the west don't realize how blessed we are to have the public lands that Texas doesn't. I'll take my chances in the forests or BLM land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.  It is a BILLION dollar industry in Texas.  Go be whatever somewhere else, I don't remember what the word is after, Go Be, but whatever.

We are severely regulated by TPWD.  We have taken measures to prevent CWD in our herd  since 2008 and have not brought in outside animals since 2010 for fear of CWD.

The deer we let loose are two and three year old and get acclimated to the ranch before they are shot.

We also have an 8' fence surrounding the ranch with another 3' burried.  

I killed over 500 hogs off this place and we have zero hogs now.

As for your claims of it not being a hunt, spend the time and money with me and I can get you a quality deer, maybe not the one you saw in a game camera photo but one similar.

That is what happens on a propperly managed ranch.

Don't get your panties in a wad because you only see four pointers on public lands in Kentucky.

It's like going out to get laid and ending up with a prostitute and then pretending you're a real ladies man.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#48]
For an extra fee can you have the deer brought to you, then pay someone else to shoot it for you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Breeder bucks are the ruination of deer hunting as we know it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Well I enjoyed the pics and info anyway. I wonder if there are doe hunts? I've never gotten a big buck, they don't really get very big here. Got big pigs though.

OP's job sounds better than mine. 
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top