Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/18/2017 5:13:06 PM EDT
Which Jeep is best Jeep; most capable, reliable off and on road? Why?

*ETA: for the purposes of this thread, if the top doesn't come off and the windshield fold down its not considered a Jeep.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Fake Jeep.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
......JK
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
TJ....because coil springs, 4.0L engine, can still find good examples not completely ate up with rust, Tons of aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TJ....because coil springs, 4.0L engine, can still find good examples not completely ate up with rust, Tons of aftermarket support.
View Quote
I'd agree, I think while all of the past few Jeeps have been incredibly solid, the TJ/LJ was the pinnacle of offroadability without becoming too soft. The JK, while still an awesome rig has started the descent down the opposite side of the hill. If I left my top off on the TJ in a rainstorm I'd be like eh, I'm just gonna have a wet ass on the ride home. In a JK, I'd probably start worrying about electrical gremlins.

Love my CJ, but they're well known for their problems. YJs have square headlights and thus are wrong. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#6]
LJ Rubicon

Coil springs, 4.0, longer wheelbase, Dana 44 axles, 4:1 transfer case, etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
1978 CJ-7, because that is what I have.  Voted CJ-8 tho
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
No Jeep
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
My TJ was a POS.  No mechanical problems, just small, too much cheap plastic.  Rough ride, etc.  The new JKs are so much better they are not even in the same category.  CJs are cool, but basically antiques at this point.  And leaf springs.  No experience with the others.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Y no CJ-6.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Y no CJ-6.
View Quote
meh, not enough out there in the wild and not enough slots in the poll. Kinda oddball Jeep anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Off the floor probably the JK.

The TJ is stupid simple and affordable to turn into a solid rig though, probably my favorite one.

The CJ and YJ were tough little bastards, but the leaf spring suspensions rattled the kidneys right out of your back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My TJ was a POS.  No mechanical problems, just small, too much cheap plastic.  Rough ride, etc.  The new JKs are so much better they are not even in the same category.  CJs are cool, but basically antiques at this point.  And leaf springs.  No experience with the others.
View Quote
Something about all the computer controlled stuff in the JKs make me distrust them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
The TJ rides like a Caddy compared to the ones that came before it. I loved my YJ, but it didn't hold a candle to the TJ's my friends had from both a modding and rid comfort standpoint. I do like the slanted roll bar look better though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Built Jeep is best Jeep.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
Winner!

I bought one of the first ones off the boat in 2006!.  It's been awesome.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Poll fail, the correct answer is:

XJ
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#18]
How come there is no option for the XJ with a 4.0?

You get the coils in the front, the leafs in the back, longer wheel base, and more room to store shit. They were pretty cool rigs too.

It's too bad cash for clunkers murdered so many of them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#19]
JK, zero question. Nothing comes close without serious modding

Second is the LJ, followed by TJ, followed by the old Cherokee.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#20]
JK, seriously

You people are smoking dope.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Anything that didn't come with flat fenders ain't a real jeep

(JK with my limited experience with it so far, ac and faster than 40mph is nice )
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Poll fail, the correct answer is:

XJ
View Quote
notajeep
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#23]
JKUR.
Poll sucks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
JKUR.
Poll sucks.
View Quote
Falls under JK. Two more doors and an offroad package do not a poll slot make.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#25]
My M151 set up as a Gun Jeep for the Scout Platoon I was in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
JK, seriously

View Quote
Take one of every rig listed new off the floor and put them head to head on an offroad course, I would be the JK wins most of it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
JKUR.
Poll sucks.
View Quote
Most of the offroad trails up here are cut through the woods and the JKUs all spend a light of time with the reverse lights on.  I get it, but at least up here, the extra doors are a serious compromise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#29]
FJ40
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Most of the offroad trails up here are cut through the woods and the JKUs all spend a light of time with the reverse lights on.  I get it, but at least up here, the extra doors are a serious compromise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
JKUR.
Poll sucks.
Go out west though and the longer wheel base is handy as hell for getting up and over stuff.

That said, I managed to cram my YJ down a hiking trail through a big stand of pines one time, I kept fitting, so I just kept going.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]
None of the abovr.. Jeep Comanche MJ!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#32]
No M715?  Fake poll. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
JK, seriously

View Quote
The JK is easily the most capable Jeep to ever come off the line. I'm guessing you're a "muh leaf springs!" kinda guy though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
JK, seriously

View Quote
The only thing the older models do better is being slightly narrower. The TJ is no less computerized
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#35]
All those choices are for high school and sorority girls 

in before the triggering. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are trade offs for sure. Most will never push their Jeeps to the point where they would see them. If you have a family or cargo the unlimited is pretty damn appealing. And when it comes to hill climbing the longer wheelbase has its advantages.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The JK is easily the most capable Jeep to ever come off the line. I'm guessing you're a "muh leaf springs!" kinda guy though.
View Quote
I'm a leaf springs sort of guy.  

Easily as capable, or more, than the most expensive long arm custom systems.  Especially if you have skills to fabricate vs. you paid someone to bolt/fab. a long arm system (and all that goes along with it). Toyota, Jeep, etc.  

You know what I mean, if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#38]
The thing that killed Jeeps for me is the availability of awesome UTV's now.

They weren't really a thing when we used to mess with Jeeps.

If I wanted a super capable rig now I would just get a RZR ready to rock off the showroom floor and run it. For the same money you can build a pretty good Jeep, but it's a lot of time and effort, and it still won't be as good on the trail as a UTV now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
JK, seriously

View Quote
Which of those listed have you owned and taken off road?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm a leaf springs sort of guy.  Easily as capable, or more, than the most expensive long arm custom systems.  Especially if you have skills to fabricate vs. I paid someone to bolt a long arm system (and all that goes along with it). Toyota, Jeep, etc.  You know what I mean, if you know what I mean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a leaf springs sort of guy.  Easily as capable, or more, than the most expensive long arm custom systems.  Especially if you have skills to fabricate vs. I paid someone to bolt a long arm system (and all that goes along with it). Toyota, Jeep, etc.  You know what I mean, if you know what I mean.
Really hard to coax the same range of motion out of leaf springs though. They are nice because you can slide down shit with them if you need too, but I like coils.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#41]
FJZ-80
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#42]
1945 Willys.......

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a CJ7, but I voted JK. However, the 2018+ JL will be King Jeep, especially with the diesel option. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Um...prolly the one the frame hasn't rusted out on yet.    
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a CJ7, but I voted JK. However, the 2018+ JL will be King Jeep, especially with the diesel option. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/324728/jeep-310812.JPG
View Quote
I'll believe it when I see it.

They have been teasing a diesel option for 20 years and have yet to release anything more than prototypes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm a leaf springs sort of guy.  

Easily as capable, or more, than the most expensive long arm custom systems.  Especially if you have skills to fabricate vs. you paid someone to bolt/fab. a long arm system (and all that goes along with it). Toyota, Jeep, etc.  

You know what I mean, if you know what I mean.
View Quote
That's why I said "to ever come off the line." As in factory built Jeeps. If you want to talk fabrication then we can just one up each other until one of us starts bending tube for a custom crawler. How many of those do you see being built with leaf springs today? None...cause everybody sees the benefits of coils except for the old fart purists which will mostly be gone from the trails within the next decade.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Really hard to coax the same range of motion out of leaf springs though. They are nice because you can slide down shit with them if you need too, but I like coils.
View Quote
I get you.  This can be like an oil thread!  

But I can mess with a TON of cheap junk yard leaf packs and move my perches accordingly.  For example, the cheap 1/2 ton Chevy mod to the rear and moving your stock rears up front on Toyota pickups.  And incredibly tough and almost, almost, bullet proof.

1st video that came up and he has no lockers and no trans doubler.  Not that impressive, really.  More tinkering and he's got a nice machine for pennies on the dollar compared to linked rigs.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's why I said "to ever come off the line." As in factory built Jeeps. If you want to talk fabrication then we can just one up each other until one of us starts bending tube for a custom crawler. How many of those do you see being built with leaf springs today? None...cause everybody sees the benefits of coils except for the old fart purists which will mostly be gone from the trails within the next decade.
View Quote
Fair enough.  I shall bow out.  Still M715 though...  pffft.

A little slice of an old video I have of the complete military testing video for the M715.  NO jeep will match it off the line.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The only thing the older models do better is being slightly narrower. The TJ is no less computerized
View Quote
I disagree. My TJ did not have computer controlled stability control, traction control, transmission, lights, etc etc. It had standard EFI controller and ABS thats about it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
JKUR.
Poll sucks.
But you have TJ/ TJU.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top