Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 7:39:03 PM EDT
The transistors in an iPhoneX would, back in the late 1950s, implemented in vacuum tubes, have:
  • cost 150 trillion of today's dollars, which is:
    • one and a half times today's global annual product,
    • more than seven times today's U.S. annual national product
    • forty times 1957's U.S. national product
    • fourteen times 1957's global annual product
  • taken up 100 billion square meters of floor space
    • that is (with a three-meter ceiling height per floor): a hundred-story square building 300 meters high, and 3 kilometers long and wide
  • drawn 150 terawatts of power—30 times the world's current generating capacity
http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/09/do-they-really-say-technological-progress-is-slowing-down.html
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
and back then we would have used it for nuclear weapons or space technology, now we use the phones for dick pics.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
and back then we would have used it for nuclear weapons or space technology, now we use the phones for dick pics.
View Quote
America, fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Moore's law and all that.

Jeffgoldblum.jpg

Transistors.. Uh.. Find a way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Dang, now I want a steering wheel on my computer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My S6 was a steaming pile of shit compared to my iPhone 6 Plus, I imagine it doesn't actually stack up very well against the 8
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Having something and having something that reliably works are 2 different things
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
before long  your smart phone will be your home computer, just add a mouse, keyboard, monitor
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You should go read some of the pettiness that is MacRumors forums.

Who cares about the technical capability of the X. But that notch doe!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hahahahaha!!! Fewl. We buy our own surveillance equipment to be spy'd with on. Irony. '1984' turned into a passive-aggressive virtue-signalling thang. '1984' got all 'non-conformist' conformist, dogmatic, snide, envious, proud and bitchy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My S6 was a steaming pile of shit compared to my iPhone 6 Plus, I imagine it doesn't actually stack up very well against the 8
View Quote
Someone here was saying that the Android phones always look better on the spec sheet, but don't perform as well in the real world.

(I wouldn't know - I've never owned an Android device.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
And yet, we still have no flying cars.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And yet, we still have no flying cars.  
View Quote
But the Cubs did win the World Series
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I owned nothing but Androids (going back to the original Motorola Droid) up until I swapped over to iPhone last upgrade with a 6S.

The iPhone is leagues better than any Android phone I've used (including offerings from Motorola, HTC, and Samsung), even though it has "inferior" hardware and features.  To top it off, every Android phone I owned would become a slow, laggy POS within 1.5-2 years of purchase (some less), even after multiple device wipes/resets.  My 6S is still going strong nearly 2.5yrs later.

I'll never own another Android phone again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Someone here was saying that the Android phones always look better on the spec sheet, but don't perform as well in the real world.

View Quote
I would agree with that assessment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I owned nothing but Androids (going back to the original Motorola Droid) up until I swapped over to iPhone last upgrade with a 6S.

The iPhone is leagues better than any Android phone I've used (including offerings from Motorola, HTC, and Samsung), even though it has "inferior" hardware and features.  To top it off, every Android phone I owned would become a slow, laggy POS within 1.5-2 years of purchase (some less), even after multiple device wipes/resets.  My 6S is still going strong nearly 2.5yrs later.

I'll never own another Android phone again.
View Quote
I usually stay out of the android vs iPhone stuff because it's obvious I have a creative/financial interest in one side over the other and besides, it usually dissolves into a personal argument 

but with that said, here's an observation I've made in GD over the years:
guys get on here all bent out of shape because China is stealing American technology and using it against us. 
 These same guys get up and defend Samsung when they have blatantly ripped off the iPhone.
but such is the way it is in today's global competitive markets.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The transistors in an iPhoneX would, back in the late 1950s, implemented in vacuum tubes, have:
  • cost 150 trillion of today's dollars, which is:
    • one and a half times today's global annual product,
    • more than seven times today's U.S. annual national product
    • forty times 1957's U.S. national product
    • fourteen times 1957's global annual product
  • taken up 100 billion square meters of floor space
    • that is (with a three-meter ceiling height per floor): a hundred-story square building 300 meters high, and 3 kilometers long and wide
  • drawn 150 terawatts of power—30 times the world's current generating capacity
http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/09/do-they-really-say-technological-progress-is-slowing-down.html
View Quote
And the same is true of every current generation smart phone.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But the Cubs did win the World Series
View Quote
I mean, really, who among us thought that the Cubs would win the World Series BEFORE we had flying cars?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#20]
At least my iPhone won't explode
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#21]
And yet there are still people that are convinced Ai will NEVER happen
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's been my experience. I've had far more reliable service from Apple iPhones.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And yet there are still people that are convinced Ai will NEVER happen
View Quote
Particularly since it's ALREADY happening and embedded in everything from keyboards to MS Word to websites.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's how it went for me.
Of course, my last Android phone was an S3, but it wasn't a good experience.
I've had a 4, 5s, and now a 6s plus. I'll probably replace my current phone with the X next year.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#25]
You do know that's fake, right?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#26]
On paper the specs look great.  Now google (YouTube) side by side speed tests and watch the iPhone lap the droid in every test.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Arfcom GD is totally worth it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, because the spec sheet is everyyyyyyyyything
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually, NO.  It was NOT possible in 1957 to achieve the computing speed of today's computers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
before long  your smart phone will be your home computer, just add a mouse, keyboard, monitor
View Quote
Bluetooth mice and Bluetooth keyboards already exist. I did that with a tablet for traveling. I'm sure I could do that with my phone as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Note 8 does that now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
guys get on here all bent out of shape because China is stealing American technology and using it against us. 
 These same guys get up and defend Samsung when they have blatantly ripped off the iPhone.
but such is the way it is in today's global competitive markets.  
View Quote
Are they really stealing it when companies gladly outsource the manufacture and assembly to China?  

Isn't Samsung a south korean company? (you know "good Korea")
Also isn't Apple using Samsung oled displays in the iPhone x?  Why is that?

Hell we send tons of money to China and the Saudis but at least the Chinese haven't had groups of citizens hijack planes and kill thousands of Americans. I'm better with that than dealing with the lazy, entitled asses in the middle east.

Americans have willingly ceded manufacturing of technical items to formerly low cost countries. The Chinese were just better than the Mexicans at using the opportunity as a stepping stone for industrialization.

Why should I feel all patriotic about Apple?

It's a company that's trying to sell me a gadget they have made in another country because it's cheaper to have Chinese and Indians make it than Americans. Oh and now it has face tracking poop emojis.

I get that you're going to defend where your bread gets buttered but come on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Shit like this is what I think/laugh about when arfcom talks about automation taking over the world lol
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
To top it off, every Android phone I owned would become a slow, laggy POS within 1.5-2 years of purchase (some less), even after multiple device wipes/resets.  My 6S is still going strong nearly 2.5yrs later.
View Quote
This is one of the few things that makes me worry about pulling the trigger on an Android phone.
I still have an iPhone 4S. If that's any indicator of how often I plan on upgrading, I'm worried that if I switch to an Android it'll do what you just said.

What causes them to start getting slow and laggy? Was it the bloatware? Sounds like Samsung and LG have cut back on that and it's possible to deleted or disable those apps.
Is it because people load the phone up with all kinds of apps that slow it down?
Or is it more of a hardware issue?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#35]
You know that rule of thumb that computing power roughly doubles every 18 months, right?

Well, from 1957 to now is 60 years, or 40 18-month periods.
Out of curiosity, I just took $150T and divided it in half 40 times.

Final result:
$136.42

That's probably pretty darn close to what it costs to manufacture a new iPhone. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top