User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 105
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Probably proprietary.

Since they are usually connected in parallel with the AC outlet, why not simply use a standard plug?

Take a look at the genny's schematic.
View Quote

Yep, on most of Champion inverter models, the "parallel cable" connector is just another connection to the the 120 VAC outlets on the front panel - You can use either set of connectors to make the parallel connection.

The only exception is a few older 2KW Champion models that also use a separate low-level "interface cable" that plugs into a small circular connector, in addition to the typical cable that carries AC power.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Same with Honda's I've looked at.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Same with Honda's I've looked at.
View Quote

Yep.
I replaced the plugs on my EU2000 and Companion with Twist Lock versions, then made a parallel cord.
This way they can't be knocked loose (which would be dangerous since the parallel cord is essentially a suicide cord.)
Using this method is easier than the parallel ports because you need a tool for the ground wire.
It's also cleaner because you don't have a rats nest of wires.

I made up some pigtails with male twist lock and female standard outlets to be able to plug directly into the generator when I'm not using it to power the house through the generator inlet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:32:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#4]

Who wants to do it first?

And deal with the power company 2nd?

Not sure the handle is linked directly, but uses a cam-like arrangement for operation. Have a breaker apart for the solar system design, will try to remember to look later today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
Originally Posted By shortbed:
Is it possible that the main breaker can still allow current to pass
after you turn it off when you run the generator?

No.
The contacts are broken when off.
That's how an interlock works.
Turn off main breaker, slide lock, turn on generator br es Maker and feed the panel.

He was implying I think, of the very unlikely technical possibility, and that would be if one of the main breaker contacts were 'welded' together and didn't open if set to be off.

If the contacts were welded, then I would expect you to have to apply sufficient force to break the CB handle off to get it into the off position.
That would be an indicator of what is known as "a problem".

To be completely safe, he should always remove the meter before attempting to run anything in the house on a generator...

Who wants to do it first?

And deal with the power company 2nd?

Not sure the handle is linked directly, but uses a cam-like arrangement for operation. Have a breaker apart for the solar system design, will try to remember to look later today.

Have looked at several breakers that I took apart a few years ago to study.

They use an over-center spring loaded linkage and the handle is not fixed to the operating contact.

So, if a contact should weld, the handle wouldn't be 'locked' to the contact and the welded contact might not be [mechanically] obvious.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Will not take in a NationaL Park nor live in California.

Back Porch only, is it okay to remove the spark arrestor on a Predator 2000?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:

View Quote

I took mine off the 3500.

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
This guy should run my 2k inverter for a little while.

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HKH:

View Quote

I bet that you tear off your mattress tags, too
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Did you remove the screen AND that wire thing?

Do you just have an open exhaust now?

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

View Quote

Yes

But mine just runs on gravel, if we took it camping I’d put it back.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:00:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#13]
I'd bet that a good cleaning of that spark arrestor in kerosene or the like would have it running just as well without the [perceived] danger of starting a wildfire by removing it, the key being no back pressure [if backpressure is the cause of the problem].

Try that. First things first, cheapest FIRST! A spark plug is a few bucks. Solvent is nearly free. Don't pay until you have no other choices.

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:14:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HKH] [#14]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
I'd bet that a good cleaning of that spark arrestor in kerosene or the like would have it running just as well without the [perceived] danger of starting a wildfire by removing it, the key being no back pressure [if backpressure is the cause of the problem].

Try that. First things first, cheapest FIRST! A spark plug is a few bucks. Solvent is nearly free. Don't pay until you have no other choices.

View Quote

In addition to the arrest or, I did change the plug when I bought it.

I also de-California’d it by removing the charcoal box and venting the cap.  It runs amazingly well and clean now.  It’s actually incredible the difference.  That’s in addition to the propane conversion.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DimaChado] [#15]
I'm doing a lot of research on a good emergency generator for my house around the 3,000-3,500W range that I can also use every now and then for my camping trailer, and so far I've learned that there are a ton of people on YouTube who run their generators indoors for filming purposes

But seriously, I'm considering the Predator 3500 inverter to run essentials in my home in an emergency, but also to provide clean power for camping.  I like the price and they seem pretty decent.  Dual fuel options would be great but they're pretty expensive from what I've seen so far.

Champions seem well rated as well but I cant see what the extra $400-$500 gets me. What say the hive?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DimaChado:
I'm doing a lot of research on a good emergency generator for my house around the 3,000-3,500W range that I can also use every now and then for my camping trailer, and so far I've learned that there are a ton of people on YouTube who run their generators indoors for filming purposes

But seriously, I'm considering the Predator 3500 inverter to run essentials in my home in an emergency, but also to provide clean power for camping.  I like the price and they seem pretty decent.  Dual fuel options would be great but they're pretty expensive from what I've seen so far.

Champions seem well rated as well but I cant see what the extra $400-$500 gets me. What say the hive?
View Quote

Champions are awesome,  we have a 11500 KW for the house and a Predator 3500 for the trailer. Also have the 2K Predator and the 3200 open frame Champion.   A 1000K Honda just because.  

The Champions are work horses, the Predators seem pretty solid but mind isn't made up yet.  For the camp trailer it is fine I think.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:24:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#17]
Champions seem well rated as well but I cant see what the extra $400-$500 gets me.
View Quote

The Predator is $800. It has a 90 day warranty.

The Champion is $950. (Home Depot has it for $850, but it's currently out of stock.) It has a 3 year warranty.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
I have been super happy with my Predator. It's been de-California'ed as previously mentioned and has done 40+ hour stints for endurance racing plus a couple days of home backup duty.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone added an inline fuel filter to a Predator 2000?

My research says the gas line is 5/16 id.

Is that correct?

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone added an inline fuel filter to a Predator 2000?

My research says the gas line is 5/16 id.

Is that correct?

View Quote

I have not, but that doesn’t sound right to me. 3/16’s, or OD maybe.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Agree...
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Agree...
View All Quotes

Agree...

Ok thanks

If I get brave i'll report back

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

In China they probably do not use Spark Arrestors.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#24]

The Predator is $800. It has a 90 day warranty.

The Champion is $950. (Home Depot has it for $850, but it's currently out of stock.) It has a 3 year warranty.

View Quote

Amazon sells the WEN branded Predators.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:54:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vengeance6661] [#25]
New to generators. We are without power for close to a day now because of a storm. Looking at the HF generators. I dont need whole house, just something to run my fridge and maybe a light and a few other appliances. What model? Do I need conventional or inverter? Don't want to spend an arm and a leg.  Our neighbors have what I believe are loud Predator HF series generators.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#26]
We have the Predator 3500 it is very quiet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Alright people that know generators and electronics way better than me....quick question

I have a gas tankless water heater and a non-inverter generator.

The water is heated by gas, but I’m sure hit has some type of electrical board in it to control it.

Do y’all think it is safe to hook to the generator for a bit to take a warm shower or should I eventually get a small inverter gen just for it and other electronics
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
Alright people that know generators and electronics way better than me....quick question

I have a gas tankless water heater and a non-inverter generator.

The water is heated by gas, but I’m sure hit has some type of electrical board in it to control it.

Do y’all think it is safe to hook to the generator for a bit to take a warm shower or should I eventually get a small inverter gen just for it and other electronics
View Quote

Probably ok.

The board probably runs on 5V, so it'll have it's own AC to DC transformer rectifier.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Probably ok.

The board probably runs on 5V, so it'll have it's own AC to DC transformer rectifier.
View Quote

Fuck it....I’m sweaty and the wife also wants a shower. Think I’ll risk it
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

You should probably wait for eight more GD opinions.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Go on ...
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Go on ...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Go on ...

So?

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I picked up a used Briggs q6500 today for $700.  I have a 240v well pump, and my 240v generator was a contractor model.  The q6500 is much quieter.  About $3k cheaper than the yamaha and honda versions.  

Anyone else have one?  I am going to try to convert to LP.  No kit is available so I'll have to be the guinea pig.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:58:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gage] [#34]
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#35]

I almost had my wife buy this. She has prime.

Her question was, do we really need it?  

I'm holding out for the newer 2250 model

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 6:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Global_Cooling] [#36]
Generator sale at Home Depot

Gennie's are halfway down the page
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#37]
At my inlaws this week in NC.

Zeta knocked out power at 8am this morning. Still no power.

Running Predator 2000W generator all day.

Got refrigerator, small freezer, phone charger, tv, satellite receiver, and a lamp on it.

Had to take it off eco mode because when compressors kicked in voltage dropped enough to reboot satellite receiver.

Really impressed with fuel consumption even not on eco mode.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 7:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#38]
Originally Posted By memsu:
At my inlaws this week in NC.

Zeta knocked out power at 8am this morning. Still no power.

Running Predator 2000W generator all day.

Got refrigerator, small freezer, phone charger, tv, satellite receiver, and a lamp on it.

Had to take it off eco mode because when compressors kicked in voltage dropped enough to reboot satellite receiver.

Really impressed with fuel consumption even not on eco mode.
View Quote

Yea we’ve been w/o power since 8:30am or so.  Doesn’t look like it’s going to be on anytime soon.

ETA: when duke energy unloads a D7 dozer in your neighbors field at 9pm... you know it’s going to be a while
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:

Yea we’ve been w/o power since 8:30am or so.  Doesn’t look like it’s going to be on anytime soon.

ETA: when duke energy unloads a D7 dozer in your neighbors field at 9pm... you know it’s going to be a while
View Quote

We are still without power this morning. Duke hasn't even updated when we might get power. Still says accessing damage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By memsu:

We are still without power this morning. Duke hasn't even updated when we might get power. Still says accessing damage.
View Quote
Same here.

Duke has really gotten caught with their pants down on this one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Going on 48 hours here in NOLA without power. I've put 37 hours on the Predator 2000 since the power went out and it's been running great. Using it to power the refrigerator, internet modem, tv, laptop and a few led lights. I just topped the fuel off and its only burned 4 gallons. Still have another 36 stored if needed.

Just did an oil change and could have waited a little longer judging how the oil looked. It was still gold / yellow with not much material in it. The magnetic dip stick had some fines on it but nothing alarming. The generator had 40 hours on it since since the last oil change this spring. It still has the NGK spark plug I installed at 6 hours.

Couldn't be happier how this has worked out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Finally broke down and bought a small 2000 watt inverter generator - Champion 100402.  Seems like a nice generator with good reviews.  I replaced the spark plug with a NGK and am using dino oil to break-in - will only be using 100% gas in it.  Gonna run it 1 hour no load - change oil, 1 hour no load - change oil, 1 hour 40% load - change oil, 1 hour 40% load - change oil, 1 hour alternating no load and 40% load - change oil to synthetic and then store until needed.  I'll be using it for camping and for power outages when needed.  I'll run it for a while every couple months.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By flying2275:
Going on 48 hours here in NOLA without power. I've put 37 hours on the Predator 2000 since the power went out and it's been running great. Using it to power the refrigerator, internet modem, tv, laptop and a few led lights. I just topped the fuel off and its only burned 4 gallons. Still have another 36 stored if needed.

Just did an oil change and could have waited a little longer judging how the oil looked. It was still gold / yellow with not much material in it. The magnetic dip stick had some fines on it but nothing alarming. The generator had 40 hours on it since since the last oil change this spring. It still has the NGK spark plug I installed at 6 hours.

Couldn't be happier how this has worked out.
View Quote

Today will be day 5 since Hurricane Zeta knocked out the power. Their's still power lines down on the road and Entergy has yet to begin working in my area. I've put 98 hours on the Predator 2000 during this outage and have 112 total hours on it. Its still running good. Its been 60 hours since the last oil change and it was starting to darken some so I changed it this morning. The magnetic dip stick has some fine material on it but less than last time.

So far I've burned 9 gallons of gas.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:09:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flying2275] [#44]
Powers finally back on tonight, 8 days and 5 hours after Hurricane Zeta came through. In total I ran the Predator 2000 187 hours during this outage and have 202 total hrs on it.

During this outage I did three oil changes, replaced the NGK spark plug twice (based on hours not due to a failure) and burned 16.5 gallons of fuel. The fuel economy seemed to be improving as I went and on the last few fill ups I was getting just over 11.5 hours on a tank of fuel.

It ran great the whole time and I would definitely recommend the Predator 2000 for anyone looking for a small generator. This made an 8 day power outage just a minor inconvenience.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Powers finally back on tonight, 8 days and 5 hours after Hurricane Zeta came through. In total I ran the Predator 2000 187 hours during this outage and have 202 total hrs on it.

During this outage I did three oil changes, replaced the NGK spark plug twice (based on hours not due to a failure) and burned 16.5 gallons of fuel. The fuel economy seemed to be improving as I went and on the last few fill ups I was getting just over 11.5 hours on a tank of fuel.

It ran great the whole time and I would definitely recommend the Predator 2000 for anyone looking for a small generator. This made an 8 day power outage just a minor inconvenience.
View Quote

Get the WEN version. It has a coin slot door for easy oil change access.  Same basic generator.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Did anyone get a budget generator and wish they got a Honda? I'm wondering if the EU2200i is worth twice the price of the others.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:24:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flying2275] [#47]

Get the WEN version. It has a coin slot door for easy oil change access.  Same basic generator.
View All Quotes

That would have made it easier than taking the whole side panel off to check / change the oil. After the first day I started only putting the center screw back in.

I'm currently thinking about picking up one of the Predator 3500's to be able to run a window a/c and the refrigerator if the power would go out during the summer. We got lucky with this storm as the daytime temps have been in the low 70's and humidity nice and low.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By rustypigeon:
Did anyone get a budget generator and wish they got a Honda? I'm wondering if the EU2200i is worth twice the price of the others.
View Quote

In some cases, three times the price.

Is one Honda worth three Champions?

IMO, no.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#49]
I have both.
Although the Honda is smaller & slightly quieter, we always use the champions to keep the hours off the Honda and less likely to be stolen from a job site.
I got a really good deal on the Honda on clearance at Sam’s for $700 years ago.
If I were to do it all over again I would have bought 2 champions for what I spent on the Honda.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By rustypigeon:
View Quote

Nope
Page / 105
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top