Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The KLR with a Corbin flat seat is awesome for crazy long days in the saddle if they aren't at highway speeds. More comfortable than my GSA.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Excellent info. Thanks!

I doubt the Sergeant is going to work for me from the sounds of it. I am 5 foot and 9.5 inches, with a 31" inseam. I can't flat-foot on low or high seat setting, but the low is much more reassuring for me when I'm in the slippery crap. What I usually do is run the stock seat in the high position for highway miles to keep my legs more comfortably straight while on the pegs, then when I come to a lot gravel/dirt section, I'll change the seat to the low setting for that piece of mind. I have to stop to set the bike in off-road mode at that time anyways.

I have read that the Madstad is the way to go many times. I keep looking at V-Stream and Puig shields on ebay, because the price is good. But I really need to do myself a favor and pony up for the Madstad. On my FJR I could run at 120mph in dead calm, smooth air with that big, adjustable V-Stream all the way up. I get battered pretty heavily (especially in wind) with the stock Tiger shield. I am a sufferer of frequent severe tension headaches (I get treated with botox and other treatments for them), so between wearing a snug, heavy helmet, and taking a battering from the wind... there are days on highway sections on the Tiger where I'm not having all that much fun. And there are a few days where I've chosen not to ride because my head was already hurting and I knew that I'd be in miserable if I rode.
View Quote
One thing of note.  Sargent does offer a low seat model that drops height by an inch or two.  I'm not sure what that would do to leg room, though, but it's something to keep in mind.  You might be better off going with something like Seat Concepts where they repack your existing seat, so the width wouldn't be as much of an issue.  You could also look at getting lowering footpegs.  That may let you run a lower seat height but keep better leg position.

As to the Madstad... finding the right spot is key.  I will note, on the Interstate, i have a small amount of head buffeting.   I can make it go away if i raise it to maximum, but then i'm having to look through the screen, which i don't want.  So i found a spot that gives minimal buffeting while still letting me looking over the screen.  I didn't actually have head buffeting with the stock screen, probably because of the GT Air helmet, unless i was in traffic.  Then it was pretty significant.  And the body buffeting was pretty brutal, regardless of traffic or not.  Overall, i'm very pleased with the result.  It's a bit of a compromise i made in regards to head buffeting, but i've found that for two lane backroad cruising, it's significantly better, close to perfect.  And on the interstate, while dealing with a slight amount of buffeting to the head, the overall improvements are drastic when in traffic, which is pretty much unavoidable on the Interstate.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The KLR with a Corbin flat seat is awesome for crazy long days in the saddle if they aren't at highway speeds. More comfortable than my GSA.
View Quote
I hate Corbin seats. Not because they aren't comfy.  I've sat on one.  They're great.  I just can't stand the way they look.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I hate Corbin seats. Not because they aren't comfy.  I've sat on one.  They're great.  I just can't stand the way they look.
View Quote
The Saddlemen seat on the GSA isn't pretty but it is night and day compared with the stock seat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

One thing of note.  Sargent does offer a low seat model that drops height by an inch or two.  I'm not sure what that would do to leg room, though, but it's something to keep in mind.  You might be better off going with something like Seat Concepts where they repack your existing seat, so the width wouldn't be as much of an issue.  You could also look at getting lowering footpegs.  That may let you run a lower seat height but keep better leg position.

As to the Madstad... finding the right spot is key.  I will note, on the Interstate, i have a small amount of head buffeting.   I can make it go away if i raise it to maximum, but then i'm having to look through the screen, which i don't want.  So i found a spot that gives minimal buffeting while still letting me looking over the screen.  I didn't actually have head buffeting with the stock screen, probably because of the GT Air helmet, unless i was in traffic.  Then it was pretty significant.  And the body buffeting was pretty brutal, regardless of traffic or not.  Overall, i'm very pleased with the result.  It's a bit of a compromise i made in regards to head buffeting, but i've found that for two lane backroad cruising, it's significantly better, close to perfect.  And on the interstate, while dealing with a slight amount of buffeting to the head, the overall improvements are drastic when in traffic, which is pretty much unavoidable on the Interstate.
View Quote
Good to know. I'll definitely do something with the shield by next riding season, and maybe the seat. I have already put some long days in the saddle, so it's not unbearable. But I'm always damn glad to get off of it by day's end.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good to know. I'll definitely do something with the shield by next riding season, and maybe the seat. I have already put some long days in the saddle, so it's not unbearable. But I'm always damn glad to get off of it by day's end.
View Quote
You could also meander over to ADVrider if you don't already do so.  There are a number of guys who have decent DIY or lower cost solutions to the seat problem.  I just figured buy once, cry once applied to motorcycles just as well as it does guns
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone considering the 2018 Tiger XCx? It seems to check off the most boxes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Went outta town to check out some bikes today. Sat on a 350-exc and fell in love. I don't think I can afford the upkeep on orange though. I'm really conflicted on what I want. Some days I see a really well built DR and think "that's perfect!". Then I look at the 250s and think I might be better off with a lightweight...
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
If i didn't already have a 2017 XCx, yes, i would.  Love me some sweet, sexy TFT goodness.

To be fair, i think the F850GS will be equally as good, probably better off road due to COG, but i don't have a local BMW dealer and our local Triumph dealer is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Went outta town to check out some bikes today. Sat on a 350-exc and fell in love. I don't think I can afford the upkeep on orange though. I'm really conflicted on what I want. Some days I see a really well built DR and think "that's perfect!". Then I look at the 250s and think I might be better off with a lightweight...
View Quote
Did you look at the KTM 690 enduro?

It's a blast and maintenance schedule is a lot more friendly.

I had a DR 350 and a WR 250R. They were ok but were pretty soft on power . I did all the mods to make my WR as light and powerful as possible but it was still a heavy slug. The WR stock suspension is more plush than my 690 but other than that, the 690 is tough to beat.

It's more than worth the extra price.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had a DR 350 and a WR 250R. They were ok but were pretty soft on power . I did all the mods to make my WR as light and powerful as possible but it was still a heavy slug. The WR stock suspension is more plush than my 690 but other than that, the 690 is tough to beat.

View Quote
Curious what is lighter in that class?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You could also meander over to ADVrider if you don't already do so.  There are a number of guys who have decent DIY or lower cost solutions to the seat problem.  I just figured buy once, cry once applied to motorcycles just as well as it does guns
View Quote
Yeah,  I've been hanging out there off an on since last summer. I need to head back and look for those.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, I've been drooling over the 690/701 since they were released. I just think it's too much bike for me.

I want a TAT-style "lightweight" adventure bike. Easy handling and good range are musts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Curious what is lighter in that class?
View Quote
The WR is lighter than the CRF250l and the DRZ 400.

But it felt very top heavy to me. Mine was a 2008, not sure if they have changed much since then so maybe it feels lighter now?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Bigdog is selling his WRR (in Bigdog form)

WRR for sale
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bigdog is selling his WRR (in Bigdog form)

WRR for sale
View Quote
That's QUITE a write up he did! Wow! I can't imagine riding a 250cc bike all over North America like that. Then again... I can't really imagine man-handling my loaded-up Tiger in many of those scenes that he was able to flick his WR into and out of.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If i didn't already have a 2017 XCx, yes, i would.  Love me some sweet, sexy TFT goodness.

To be fair, i think the F850GS will be equally as good, probably better off road due to COG, but i don't have a local BMW dealer and our local Triumph dealer is awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our local dealer is both. I didn’t know about the F850GS. It has cruise control too. This makes things more difficult.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Our local dealer is both. I didn’t know about the F850GS. It has cruise control too. This makes things more difficult.
View Quote
That makes things difficult indeed.

The F800GS was never an option for me because of that - no cruise. I had decided that if I were to get a new bike for touring, it must have CC. Sure, I can get by without it - already have for years. But if I were to upgrade, and certainly if I were to buy a new bike, it would need that feature.

What really irks me is that the manufacturers are running more and more bikes with full ride-by-wire, yet still won't give us cruise on most of such models. With a bike equipped with RBW, TC, and ABS, all of the hardware you need for CC is there - you just need the software and a button in the switchgear to set it.

Of course all past tense now, as I went with the Tenere. I was actually not planning on going the ADV route at all until I demo'ed one for the second time, and even that was sort of on a whim, as I only went to the demo for the R1M. Then I promptly sold one bike and traded another in to get this beast.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That makes things difficult indeed.

The F800GS was never an option for me because of that - no cruise. I had decided that if I were to get a new bike for touring, it must have CC. Sure, I can get by without it - already have for years. But if I were to upgrade, and certainly if I were to buy a new bike, it would need that feature.

What really irks me is that the manufacturers are running more and more bikes with full ride-by-wire, yet still won't give us cruise on most of such models. With a bike equipped with RBW, TC, and ABS, all of the hardware you need for CC is there - you just need the software and a button in the switchgear to set it.

Of course all past tense now, as I went with the Tenere. I was actually not planning on going the ADV route at all until I demo'ed one for the second time, and even that was sort of on a whim, as I only went to the demo for the R1M. Then I promptly sold one bike and traded another in to get this beast.
View Quote
I had a simple friction CC on my 2008 FJR1300. It sucked, but it beat the hell out of the palm "CC" wrapped around my Ninja throttle grip. I'm in love with the electronic CC on my Tiger. Flat out indispensable for the highway sections. I'd do away with TC and ABS before I went without CC. I can control those other things with skilled/smooth use of throttle and brakes. But CC is a right forearm saver on highway slab. My bad back and soft butt can take long rides better than my right arm can.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#20]
After checking the BMW out, I will probably stick with the Tiger. The Tiger is lighter and bigger fuel tank. Not a big fan of the wireless key too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd do away with TC and ABS before I went without CC.
View Quote
Absolutely with you there for any touring bike (or only bike, if you're forced into that unfortunate position ).

Though I am pretty sure that TC saved my ass on that black ice last week. And I am glad to have ABS on the little Ninja - it's never engaged, but knowing it's there improves confidence in braking really hard, which I appreciate on a bike with budget brakes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
After checking the BMW out, I will probably stick with the Tiger. The Tiger is lighter and bigger fuel tank. Not a big fan of the wireless key too.
View Quote
Holy crap, I just looked up the specs - my Ninja 300 has a bigger tank than the 850!
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Absolutely with you there for any touring bike (or only bike, if you're forced into that unfortunate position ).

Though I am pretty sure that TC saved my ass on that black ice last week. And I am glad to have ABS on the little Ninja - it's never engaged, but knowing it's there improves confidence in braking really hard, which I appreciate on a bike with budget brakes.
View Quote
INDEED!!! CC is indispensable for dry slab, but wet/icy stuff a whole different ball game. The pics that I posted on the previous page of this thread at 9,500' in the Bighorn Mountains a few weeks ago... I don't think I would have made it to that overlook to take them without TC. I didn't dare to use the brakes at all on the mile of solid ice, so ABS didn't play a role. I kept my speed slow and dead steady, so I'm not sure how much TC was doing (besides the blinking light). But I know for a fact that TC makes a difference because I can feel a huge difference between it being engaged or not when I'm on gravel. Almost feels like engaging 4WD when I change rider modes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am all about range which is why I went with the adventure version of the 1200gs. I bet in the next year they will make an adventure in the 850. But rest assured I think the Triumph is a worthy bike.

Regardless my BMW is the first bike I have had with a keyless ride. I absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I found moving my Madstad forward away from the little OEM screen like mount a little over an inch allowed enough air through to eliminate the low pressure area behind the screen and help eliminate buffeting. The height I like has the top of the screen bisecting the roadway about 50' in front of me. They take some fiddling to optimize but that is the beauty of their design, almost unlimited adjustability.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Biased opinion, but good choice. I love mine. Not quite as many aftermarket options as an Africa Twin, but still plenty to go around.

Altrider is a good place to look.

Safari also makes an aftermarket tank, if your really want more fuel range.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the LED headlight on that F850GS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Went outta town to check out some bikes today. Sat on a 350-exc and fell in love. I don't think I can afford the upkeep on orange though. I'm really conflicted on what I want. Some da isys I see a really well built DR and think "that's perfect!". Then I look at the 250s and think I might be better off with a lightweight...
View Quote
DR and a Katooms race bike are very far away...if you want to enjoy the dirt, go light. Mostly road work? DR is a great choice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#30]
It's not a donor cycle if you wrap it around a tree on some back trail, unless you count donating to the coyotes

I've been thinking about a custom plate, but not quite sure where to go with it.  TGR800 is already taken
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Its especially nice that the "come and take it" is right underneath of DONOR.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

DR and a Katooms race bike are very far away...if you want to enjoy the dirt, go light. Mostly road work? DR is a great choice.
View Quote
A 501 or 500 EXC-F is a very common bike for guys who want to do both.  It's not 250 light, but better than a DR, and you get much better pavement power if you're dreaming of long trips that you know will requirement hours of asphalt prior to or after your adventure.

Then again, there's also more cost and likely more maintenance (though my understanding is they've gotten much better in this regard)

If you want to do it on the cheap, a DRZ 400 is a great option.  Yes, it takes some work to get it good, but the platform has more upgrade options than just about any in existence.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A 501 or 500 EXC-F is a very common bike for guys who want to do both.  It's not 250 light, but better than a DR, and you get much better pavement power if you're dreaming of long trips that you know will requirement hours of asphalt prior to or after your adventure.

Then again, there's also more cost and likely more maintenance (though my understanding is they've gotten much better in this regard)

If you want to do it on the cheap, a DRZ 400 is a great option.  Yes, it takes some work to get it good, but the platform has more upgrade options than just about any in existence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really need two bikes. I want to ride Shadow of the Rockies, but I also live 30min from work and 20min from the nearest city. That means that I need to spend at least 20min on the slab every day. I could trailer my bike to El Paso to start my TAT ride, but as a daily driver it would be frustrating.
If I decide to go big, the Africa Twin has caught my eye since they brought it back. That's a big weight penalty, compared to a WRR, CRF250 or even a DR or KLR.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I really need two bikes. I want to ride Shadow of the Rockies, but I also live 30min from work and 20min from the nearest city. That means that I need to spend at least 20min on the slab every day. I could trailer my bike to El Paso to start my TAT ride, but as a daily driver it would be frustrating.
If I decide to go big, the Africa Twin has caught my eye since they brought it back. That's a big weight penalty, compared to a WRR, CRF250 or even a DR or KLR.
View Quote
When you say slab do you mean at 65-70 or insane 80+ bypasses?

If you are in the first category a DR or KLR would be a good choice. Obviously a modern Multi-cylindered bike is a different animal. It is still enjoyable to ride a midsize or big adv bike on the interstate where as the thumpers are work in the sense that you are getting to the top of their performance and you need to stay on your toes and anticipate traffic accordingly. But I have slung a fully Loaded KLR down the highway at 75mph for days at a time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When you say slab do you mean at 65-70 or insane 80+ bypasses?

If you are in the first category a DR or KLR would be a good choice. Obviously a modern Multi-cylindered bike is a different animal. It is still enjoyable to ride a midsize or big adv bike on the interstate where as the thumpers are work in the sense that you are getting to the top of their performance and you need to stay on your toes and anticipate traffic accordingly. But I have slung a fully Loaded KLR down the highway at 75mph for days at a time.
View Quote
70-80, medium traffic. I keep reading that the new 250s will handle that, but I haven't ridden one yet.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

70-80, medium traffic. I keep reading that the new 250s will handle that, but I haven't ridden one yet.
View Quote
For me it would be out of desperation or if I had no other choice. A 250 is not a powerful bike. You can travel the world happily on one but not by interstate. You will have issues keeping up for sure and you will be blown all over the place by trucks. The new BMW 310GS could do it most likely though I would want to hear from more real world users first. As you know there is top speed and then there is what the bike is comfortable cruising at.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I feel sure the newer 250's would handle it.
I also feel sure it would hurt reliability, and shorten their overall lifespan.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

For me it would be out of desperation or if I had no other choice. A 250 is not a powerful bike. You can travel the world happily on one but not by interstate. You will have issues keeping up for sure and you will be blown all over the place by trucks. The new BMW 310GS could do it most likely though I would want to hear from more real world users first. As you know there is top speed and then there is what the bike is comfortable cruising at.
View Quote
Should have some info for you before the end of the month.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup. They may be capable of highway speeds with an average sized person. But they'll vibrate you to death and that overworked engine won't last for long. There's a reason that highway bikes have large displacement. I put many thousands of miles on my Ninja ZX6 when I had it. But it wasn't even in the same universe as my FJR1300 in terms of comfort at speed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

I'm not sure this sign had the intended results.  For me at least.

Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't feel like you're alone in that. I love the Tiger.  I will definitely offroad the Tiger.  Already done a wee bit of gravel.  But, it's not meant for longer treks of sustained rough trail riding, just like a small bike isn't for sustained slab riding.  I have dreams of doing the TAT in the next few years, and i know the Tiger won't do that.  I also know that if i got a CRF Rally or a WR250R, that taking a trip down to the Dragon on that bike would make no sense, even if i planned on doing some gravel roads/forest trails while i'm down there.  Those bikes can do 70, like others have said, but the sustained RPM's required for that speed on those bikes will beat them to death.  Its more for that small pavement stretch of 1 hour between trails or the occasional half day pavement trek to get to the start of your adventure.

Horses for courses and all that.

So, i'm already planning on getting something lighter.  The Tiger will still be my primary, and it's amazing, but there is no perfect bike.  Shit, i'm already thinking i need 3 bikes, with the 3rd bike being something sporty for when i'm in the mood to go faster.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Don't feel like you're alone in that. I love the Tiger.  I will definitely offroad the Tiger.  Already done a wee bit of gravel.  But, it's not meant for longer treks of sustained rough trail riding, just like a small bike isn't for sustained slab riding.  I have dreams of doing the TAT in the next few years, and i know the Tiger won't do that.  I also know that if i got a CRF Rally or a WR250R, that taking a trip down to the Dragon on that bike would make no sense, even if i planned on doing some gravel roads/forest trails while i'm down there.  Those bikes can do 70, like others have said, but the sustained RPM's required for that speed on those bikes will beat them to death.  Its more for that small pavement stretch of 1 hour between trails or the occasional half day pavement trek to get to the start of your adventure.

Horses for courses and all that.

So, i'm already planning on getting something lighter.  The Tiger will still be my primary, and it's amazing, but there is no perfect bike.  Shit, i'm already thinking i need 3 bikes, with the 3rd bike being something sporty for when i'm in the mood to go faster.
View Quote
I know I have talked about this multiple times in this thread but this is why I am going to do a DR650 for my TAT bike. If I keep the racks off and go with a Mosko Moto Reckless or giant loop pannier system then even with a 6 gallon tank I can come in sub 400# minus personal gear and my ass.

Dead nuts reliable. light weight for an ADV bike. Capable of prolonged slab and off road. A plethora of after market. Finally, it's cheap. I have spent a lot of time on 3 different KLRs but I am looking to shave as much weight as possible for this one and still have a truly broad use bike. A 250 is better on the trails maybe but it suffers from lack of power and it can be brutal on long days. Plus I will set my DR up with Cogent suspension and I can tell you from experience that it is almost life changing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I know I have talked about this multiple times in this thread but this is why I am going to do a DR650 for my TAT bike. If I keep the racks off and go with a Mosko Moto Reckless or giant loop pannier system then even with a 6 gallon tank I can come in sub 400# minus personal gear and my ass.

Dead nuts reliable. light weight for an ADV bike. Capable of prolonged slab and off road. A plethora of after market. Finally, it's cheap. I have spent a lot of time on 3 different KLRs but I am looking to shave as much weight as possible for this one and still have a truly broad use bike. A 250 is better on the trails maybe but it suffers from lack of power and it can be brutal on long days. Plus I will set my DR up with Cogent suspension and I can tell you from experience that it is almost life changing.
View Quote
There is truth in this.  Also because you have a lot more experience than I do..  While people love the 250s for their light weight, there is a reason one of the more common mods is a big bore kit and why a number of reviewers, ancient as it is, prefer the DRZ 400.  A lot of the TAT is long gravel and dirt stretches where 60 is common, and those 250 bikes struggle with a heavy load and that sort of sustained speed.  while some say a DR is too heavy, there is a wisdom in understanding that the TAT has a lot more open road than it does technical.  So it's all in what you're willing to compromise for.

I still somewhat lean towards a 250, rather than a 650, but they're both doable and much better than our larger pigs, regardless of how much we love them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There is truth in this.  Also because you have a lot more experience than I do..  While people love the 250s for their light weight, there is a reason one of the more common mods is a big bore kit and why a number of reviewers, ancient as it is, prefer the DRZ 400.  A lot of the TAT is long gravel and dirt stretches where 60 is common, and those 250 bikes struggle with a heavy load and that sort of sustained speed.  while some say a DR is too heavy, there is a wisdom in understanding that the TAT has a lot more open road than it does technical.  So it's all in what you're willing to compromise for.

I still somewhat lean towards a 250, rather than a 650, but they're both doable and much better than our larger pigs, regardless of how much we love them.
View Quote
I really like the DR they built in this YouTube series.

DR650 project: best suspension upgrade ever??Cross Training Adventure
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Here’s my (IMHO) perfectly set up DR.  I sold it when I bought my Africa Twin.  I miss the DR but love the AT more.  I still have an XR650R.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here’s my (IMHO) perfectly set up DR.  I sold it when I bought my Africa Twin.  I miss the DR but love the AT more.  I still have an XR650R.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23561/42A33073-241C-45AA-8E21-A8C13E22D5D8-417964.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23561/E48D32E6-999C-42F1-B290-CF4FBBB98D88-417965.JPG
View Quote
An AT is on my list, but I'm gonna get some experience on a lighter bike first.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23561/42A33073-241C-45AA-8E21-A8C13E22D5D8-417964.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23561/E48D32E6-999C-42F1-B290-CF4FBBB98D88-417965.JPG
View Quote
Mind giving up the specs on your bike? Feel free to PM if you don't want to clutter the thread. I hope to start outfitting mine a little more this year.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Mind giving up the specs on your bike? Feel free to PM if you don't want to clutter the thread. I hope to start outfitting mine a little more this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put em up on here please.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#49]
It was a 2011 DR in the best color (white) which they are now offering again on the 2018’s (#notaracist)
Pumper carb, Seat Concepts Tall seat, tall adventure bend bars, dash with 12v and USB outlets, laminar lip screen, lowered pegs, IMS 4.9gal tank, GSXR exhaust with Procycle mid pipe.  I’m probably forgetting a few things.   It was perfect for the type of riding I like most.  Not hardcore single track but agile enough to get me to some pretty remote places in comfort.  If I kept it I would have tackled the suspension.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#50]
It’s hard to beat this for a two bike combo though.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top