BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot, I read the news story while on a conference call.
View Quote
You get the conference call backwards too? Not too important I hope.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wait a minute, so if you're DUI and in a wreck if you just pretend to be unconscious or unresponsive and go to the hospital they cant force a blood alcohol level test? Is this a winning strategy for beating DUI? Any cops wanna chime in? I definitely thought cops could force a blood draw.
View Quote
With a warrant or consent.

Any DUI suspected MVAs where criminal charges will be sought will be warrant only.  We dont ask for consent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yea I did and I read the shitty blob of a story. I was asking based on the events in the 2nd video, it seems like if thats the protocol for getting blood from a patient/suspect then you could beat a DUI wreck by just being 'unconscious'. How would they be able to meet any of the 3 criteria?
View Quote
I'm guessing if you were suspected of a DUI they would arrest you which would meet the criteria for a blood draw on an unconscious patient
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm self-employed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, "I have hospital administration on the way."  Like hospital administration gives a flying fuck about their employees.
You need a better employer.
I'm self-employed.
Well here's the thing, even if the administration didn't give a shit about their employees, they absolutely give a fuck about their liability if conducting unlawful test. The damn rules are there for a reason. The cops signed off on the requirements, and the nurse was 100% right to call the administration.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the nurse correct?
View Quote
Yes, that cop is a fucking piece of shit.

I've dealt with shitheads like that before.  Not to that level but I know the type.

"Oh I'm sure you can stay on scene for just a few minutes while I ask some questions."

"Actually this ambulance is rolling in 10 seconds and if you're on it the next stop is St. Joe's Hospital."

"Are you trying to impede my investigation?"

"No, I'm taking my patient to the hospital, you're free to investigate your ass off on the way there."
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then the agency gets to try to use that blood test to reduce their financial liability for the lawsuit they know is coming. The only reason they would want it from a victim is so they can try to assasinate his character in court to reduce what damages they have to pay.
View Quote
In a lot of places its policy on fatal crashes to test for impairment on all drivers. You'd be surprised how many times a drunk driver is driving along normally and another vehicle crashes into them. Just because they didn't commit any traffic violations and didn't cause a crash doesn't excuse driving impaired.

Though I think this incident was uncalled for. It should be  a relatively simple process to obtain a warrant for his blood + it removes liability from the hospital/nurse as well.

Quoted:
The cop has shown he will violate the rights of a dying man. He should be fired. Every lawyer in court facing this cop should play this video.
View Quote
Technically when you signed for your driver's license you also signed consent for sobriety testing. If you are unconscious you aren't able to refuse and its implied consent to the testing. So I'm not sure what right he violated on the dying man.

Though always best to have a warrant. Cover's the nurse/hospital + doesn't leave any openings for court. I think most professional agencies would just do the warrant. I've no doubt in a lot of smaller places they'd just pull the blood based on that.  Driving is a privilege, not a right. Everyone so concerned with getting their license they don't bother paying attention to the legalities of it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
You may beat the rap but you won't beat the draw.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Paid leave.

Internal investigation.

Cleared of wrongdoing

Taxpayers foot the bill in civil suit

Goes home safe

Am I missing anything?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm guessing if you were suspected of a DUI they would arrest you which would meet the criteria for a blood draw on an unconscious patient
View Quote
How would they suspect you if you were 'unconscious' since they arrived on scene? Assuming nothing retarded like bottle in the car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the nurse correct?
View Quote
I think so, but should have gotten her hospital legal involved.

Also, usually the hospital tox isn't admissable in court unless there was a proper chain of custody on the sample.  Medical use doesn't equal legal use.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In a lot of places its policy on fatal crashes to test for impairment on all drivers. You'd be surprised how many times a drunk driver is driving along normally and another vehicle crashes into them. Just because they didn't commit any traffic violations and didn't cause a crash doesn't excuse driving impaired.

Though I think this incident was uncalled for. It should be  a relatively simple process to obtain a warrant for his blood + it removes liability from the hospital/nurse as well.

Technically when you signed for your driver's license you also signed consent for sobriety testing. If you are unconscious you aren't able to refuse and its implied consent to the testing. So I'm not sure what right he violated on the dying man.

Though always best to have a warrant. Cover's the nurse/hospital + doesn't leave any openings for court. I think most professional agencies would just do the warrant. I've no doubt in a lot of smaller places they'd just pull the blood based on that.  Driving is a privilege, not a right. Everyone so concerned with getting their license they don't bother paying attention to the legalities of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then the agency gets to try to use that blood test to reduce their financial liability for the lawsuit they know is coming. The only reason they would want it from a victim is so they can try to assasinate his character in court to reduce what damages they have to pay.

Quoted:
The cop has shown he will violate the rights of a dying man. He should be fired. Every lawyer in court facing this cop should play this video.

100% wrong. If you sign your drivers liscence, you may give implied consent, but since 2013 SCOTUS decided that warantless blood draws were against the 4th Ammendment. There is no more implied consent for blood. GET A FUCKING WARRANT. It's not the nurses fault there was no warrant issued. Not her problem. The piece of shit cop is the problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the nurse correct?
Sounds like she was in the process of doing that when officer fuckface decided to hook her up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And so his boss:

Payne — who contends he wanted the blood sample to protect the victim, not punish him — said he was advised by Lt. James Tracy, the watch commander on duty that night, to arrest Wubbels for interfering with a police investigation if she refused to let him get the sample, according to his report.

Gray is a truck driver when he is not serving as a reserve police officer, according to the Idaho State Journal.
View Quote
Hey.... when you are going to get nailed through vicarious liability, might as well go all in!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The sad part is there was fail from top to bottom on this but only the detective is getting it up.  Reading other articles he wasn't sure on the current case law so he contacted the Watch Commander who ordered him to arrest the nurse.  Shit only rolls downhill lol
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
it seems like if thats the protocol for getting blood from a patient/suspect then you could beat a DUI wreck by just being 'unconscious'. How would they be able to meet any of the 3 criteria?
View Quote
By placing the suspect under arrest or obtaining a warrant. Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If my baby got smashed by a drunk, I'd be very unhappy that he wasn't nailed for it because the hospital couldn't get a blood draw because he fucked up sooooo bad that he wasn't even conscious until the alcohol was out of his system.
View Quote
redacted, I see you misread the article.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How would they suspect you if you were 'unconscious' since they arrived on scene? Assuming nothing retarded like bottle in the car.
View Quote
Probable cause?

Police don't need an open and shut case to arrest someone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We gave cops benefit of the doubt.  We would draw (iodine--no alcohol prep!!) or if not we would
Order a tox  screen on our own for our own reasons.
Make sure to mention it in chart so it's discoverable

But Florida law at that time at least allowed wide lattitude
View Quote
When I used to be a real doctor there was a distinction between a "medical" blood alcohol (done for medical reasons/diagnosis) and "legal" blood alcohol (done to be used as evidence in a trial). The legal blood alcohol sample had to have a documented chain of custody from collection to analysis so no lawyer could claim the sample could have been swapped or tampered with.

A good lawyer would probably get your medical blood alcohol tossed as evidence.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Cop seems to think he is in charge in the hospital, which he is not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I used to be a real doctor there was a distinction between a "medical" blood alcohol (done for medical reasons/diagnosis) and "legal" blood alcohol (done to be used as evidence in a trial). The legal blood alcohol sample had to have a documented chain of custody from collection to analysis so no lawyer could claim the sample could have been swapped or tampered with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We gave cops benefit of the doubt.  We would draw (iodine--no alcohol prep!!) or if not we would

Not in the civil suit they won't
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I know the local hospitals around here do blood withdraw as a routine eval. In that blood they will test for the BAC level.

We just ask for a dyal subpoena and get the results.  But we don't enforce CDL procedures so I would never go request one for that reason alone.
View Quote
Good luck getting a conviction like that.
There is no chain of custody on that specimen. I order BACs all the time, but that's for medical purposes, NOT legal purposes. Cops get a different sample that is analyzed at the State lab, NOT in my hospital lab.
I may or may not have left a BAC result or 2 lying on the desk when a cop walked by.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why are they wanting to draw blood from the guy in the semi? What the fuck did he do, other than end up on the receiving end of an asshole running from the cops?
View Quote
That might be your answer right there.  They may be grasping at straws to shift blame to the victim in case there was reason for him to sue the department?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Cop was doing the blood draw and not the nurse. Nurse was refusing access.

Cop said he was using implied consent which ended a decade ago in Utah AND SCOTUS dumped the law a few years ago.

This was the victim. Cop is an idiot.
View Quote
When did cops get hospital privileges to do invasive procedures in a hospital?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is no chain of custody on that specimen. I order BACs all the time, but that's for medical purposes, NOT legal purposes. Cops get a different sample that is analyzed at the State lab, NOT in my hospital lab.
I may or may not have left a BAC result or 2 lying on the desk when a cop walked by.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the local hospitals around here do blood withdraw as a routine eval. In that blood they will test for the BAC level.

We just ask for a dyal subpoena and get the results.  But we don't enforce CDL procedures so I would never go request one for that reason alone.
We would routinely tell cops the result by announcing it to the doctor or the patient.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Porter said no claim or lawsuit has been filed. There have been discussions with Salt Lake City police and she feels the department will educate its officers, she said.
View Quote
If so, the detective should go put another bucket of chicken in front of his Jobu shrine and pray she doesnt come to her senses while writing out her mortgage check in a few days.

I'm betting they are waiting to see if the dept is going to make his recent unpaid vacation permanent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow!  Bad, bad, bad that was.  The cop deserves whatever he gets.  
View Quote
He deserves training and a paid suspension?  
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I hope I don't read in this thread that some in the LEO community will find this was correct.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Paid leave.

Internal investigation.

Cleared of wrongdoing

Goes home safe

Am I missing anything?
View Quote
Yes.

No civil suit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Good for her sticking to her principles and the law.

<looking right at you, fucking imbecile cop>
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We would routinely tell cops the result by announcing it to the doctor or the patient.
View Quote
You would disclose protected medical information deliberately to the police? You sure you want to be posting that publicly?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If my baby got smashed by a drunk, I'd be very unhappy that he wasn't nailed for it because the hospital couldn't get a blood draw because he fucked up sooooo bad that he wasn't even conscious until the alcohol was out of his system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop needs to get fucked for this.
If you crash into someone and kill them you will get nailed, with or without blood alcohol level.

Blood alcohol is useful only for putting it in the DUI box or manslaughter box.

It is not the medical profession's job to nail people by collecting blood without a warrant.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get convictions all the time with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You would disclose protected medical information deliberately to the police? You sure you want to be posting that publicly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That last very concerning isn't it ? Not in 1993 it wasn't
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cop needs to get fucked for this.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Even from here I can hear lawyers in Utah laughing and hooting down at the marina. If you're going to be stupid, get a job with an employer with deep pockets.
View Quote
What lawyer is going to get money when there is no lawsuit?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You ordered medically unnecessary tests that your patient was billed for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's Florida and Florida man, for God's sake. Anything can happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not reading this whole thread but if in an accident driving for a living where a CDL is required you need to piss or bleed for the DOT regardless of who's at fault. Officer is still a turd regardless. Get the warrant and get your stuff, that simple.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#39]
These cops need to be held criminally negligent when the law is broken.

Arrest someone falsely like this? Charge the cop.

Misrepresent the law? Charge the cop.

I know for a fact that a lawyer can be held criminally liable for misrepresenting statutes and case law in the court, to the judge, in the state of North Carolina.

Cops should know every law they enforce, and not enforce the ones they don't know. It baffles me that the only "real" repercussions are administrative, and most of those are wrist-slaps.

Cops sitting in jail cells for this behavior will put a definitive end to the bullshit. Not lost vacation, not a reprimand, criminal charges. Let them face the same fate as those who are falsely arrested.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Strange that the UT DOT is not the one in charge of this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Title 42 USC Section 1983.  Paydirt!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a large inner city ER
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes.

No civil suit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paid leave.

Internal investigation.

Cleared of wrongdoing

Goes home safe

Am I missing anything?
Yes.

No civil suit.
Must have had Comey lead the investigation.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If they arrest him, they have to pay for his care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why couldn't they just arrest him? Surely there is sufficient probable cause.
If they arrest him, they have to pay for his care.
You didn't watch the vid. He was the victim......Perp died fortunately.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why are they wanting to draw blood from the guy in the semi? What the fuck did he do, other than end up on the receiving end of an asshole running from the cops?
View Quote
He has a commercial drivers license and was involved in an injury/fatality accident.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
These cops need to be held criminally negligent when the law is broken.

Arrest someone falsely like this? Charge the cop.

Misrepresent the law? Charge the cop.

I know for a fact that a lawyer can be held criminally liable for misrepresenting statutes and case law in the court, to the judge, in the state of North Carolina.

Cops should know every law they enforce, and not enforce the ones they don't know. It baffles me that the only "real" repercussions are administrative, and most of those are wrist-slaps.

Cops sitting in jail cells for this behavior will put a definitive end to the bullshit. Not lost vacation, not a reprimand, criminal charges. Let them face the same fate as those who are falsely arrested.
View Quote
You don't think anyone else in Salt Lake City could claim ignorance for assault and kidnapping?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Poor truck driver: tooling along making a living, minding his own business when some dipshit runs into him, setting him on fire.
He's lying unconscious in a Burn Unit when some cop insists his nurse stab him with a sharp object.
Then said cop hauls his nurse off for refusing to assault the patient.
Really bad day
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He has a commercial drivers license and was involved in an injury/fatality accident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I hope the nurse comes to her senses and goes for financial blood.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Have the court subpoena the guys blood, done. The hospital has it already anyways.

I don't know how their state law works when it comes to blood draws so I'm not going to comment. In my area the nurses refuse to draw blood even if it's within the statute. They still demand a warrant or consent even if your fully within the law.
View Quote
This....Duces Tecum warrants aren't exactly rocket science to file..........  plus you get an incredibly more detailed lab report than anything the Police Lab is going to come up with.  Now, that said, I can't speak for Ut, but in NJ, any Mva with injuries involving a Tractor Trailer, the driver is going to be blood tested.....this is WAY overkill though.
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top