Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2017 3:22:39 PM EDT
School me on who has the best collapsible police baton?

I like them, don't have one, would like one to just play with.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
They are great for keeping the wife and kids in line.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive heard good things about the Peacekeeper baton.  Have to have credentials to purchase though. Maybe there are some used ones on eBay, I'm not really sure though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody have the contact information for Tonya Harding or Nancy Kerrigan?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
ASP used to be the gold standard.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my monadnock better than my ASP. The button Lock feature is way nicer than friction lock when it comes time to close it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Batons are all classified as deadly weapons in the state of Texas and are a felony to possess. ... Batons include: PR 24, Straight Sticks, Expandable, etc. This means in the state of Texas, to carry a baton as a security officer, you must be a Level-3 Commissioned Officer and also possess a baton card.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Monadnock auto-lock. Don't get it with the stupid "power safety tip". It has a ball bearing locking mechanism instead of the friction fit that a standard ASP has. That way you don't collapse the baton if you do a jab.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Winchester was the biggest and best but haven't seen them since 2005. ASP and the rest are ok but having used them on people I got better results with a SL20.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Batons are all classified as deadly weapons in the state of Texas and are a felony to possess. ... Batons include: PR 24, Straight Sticks, Expandable, etc. This means in the state of Texas, to carry a baton as a security officer, you must be a Level-3 Commissioned Officer and also possess a baton card.
View Quote
That's quite a free state that regulates...sticks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's illegal for him to even own one? Sounds like he should move to a free state.

ETA: beat by 25 seconds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't know. Washington law restricts carrying batons.
Anywhere I would need a baton, a gun works as well.

I'm not Law Enforcement. There is very little need for me to follow a use of force escalation policy. Either I'm in fear for my life or I'm not. If I'm not, I'm walking away from whatever it is.

A gun and a knife is all I need. I'll let those paid to keep the peace carry around Tasers, OC, or batons.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Gotta keep it real.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]
anything not name brand is crap.

ASP is most common, but too light, doesn't thunk well.

Monadnock and Winchester is decent.

If I had the money, I'd have a Peacekeeper RCB on my belt, no question.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Please show us where in the state penal code it makes it a felony to possess a baton. I understand that carrying one without an LTC and handgun is illegal. But am pretty sure possession is not illegal in the great State of Texas.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like hippie-beatin' sticks. Gave my brother a Monadnock and a SOG tomahawk when he lived in an apartment where he couldn't own a gun. Solid tool.

Gave a friend a Bowie and S&W baton because he likes close-in weaponry. Doesn't feel as good as the Monadnock, but I wouldn't want to get smacked with it.

Get a shorter baton, study some Youtube, and practice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Sec. 46.02.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:(1)  on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or(2)  inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.(a-1)  A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:(1)  the handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster; or(2)  the person is:(A)  engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;(B)  prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or(C)  a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.(a-2)  For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.(a-3)  For purposes of this section, "watercraft" means any boat, motorboat, vessel, or personal watercraft, other than a seaplane on water, used or capable of being used for transportation on water.(b)  Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.(c)  An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Go old school...

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ive heard good things about the Peacekeeper baton.  Have to have credentials to purchase though. Maybe there are some used ones on eBay, I'm not really sure though.
View Quote
eBay banned all batons for sale a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
I like your style
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Please show us where in the state penal code it makes it a felony to possess a baton. I understand that carrying one without an LTC and handgun is illegal. But am pretty sure possession is not illegal in the great State of Texas.
View Quote
It is NOT a felony to possess a baton in Texas unless done on a premises licensed or issued a permit for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
    (a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Somebody on here recommended me the RCB Peacekeeper.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#22]
All collapsible batons suck, just to different degrees.  They are only popular because they are stuck on the belt and aren't forgotten in the car.

Hardwood is superior in just about every way.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Expandable batons are fucking useless unless you need to poke something to see if it's dead or to reach shit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It is NOT a felony to possess a baton in Texas unless done on a premises licensed or issued a permit for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:(1) the handgun is in plain view; or(2) the person is:(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:(1) the handgun is in plain view; or(2) the person is:(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

That's not what the law you posted says. The way I'm reading it, if you take it off your "own premises" (your property), then its illegal to possess. (See below text)

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's not what the law you posted says. The way I'm reading it, if you take it off your "own premises" (your property), then its illegal to possess. (See below text)

View Quote
Yes, but it is NOT a felony unless done on a premises licensed or issued a permit for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Which is exactly what I said.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes, but it is NOT a felony unless done on a premises licensed or issued a permit for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, you're right.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yup, you're right.
View Quote
Not that I think that is a good thing ... you can carry a gun and protect yourself from 30 feet, you can carry a sword and protect yourself from 3 feet but you cannot carry a stick and protect yourself from 1 foot ... stupid and I have let my legislators know exactly how stupid.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Expandable batons are fucking useless unless you need to poke something to see if it's dead or to reach shit.
View Quote
I hear they're good field-expedient back scratchers too, but I don't know if I'd want to use it for that after poking a maybe-dead thing
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a LEO license to carry one...took the class. a loong time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

That being said; I DON'T CARRY ONE.

OC or firearm. I'm too old to close with a bad guy. I want his/her ass on the ground before he/she can get close enough to touch me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#31]
5 D-cell Mag-lite?.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I keep a 32 millimeter wrench in the truck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#33]
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

Sec. 46.02.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club...

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.

(b)  Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(2)  is traveling;

(3)  is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

(6)  is carrying:

(A)  a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun; and

(B)  a handgun:

(i)  in a concealed manner; or

(ii)  in a shoulder or belt holster;
View Quote
You can carry a club on your person in Texas, if you've got an LTC and are lawfully carrying your pistol.  If you leave the pistol behind, the club has to stay behind as well.

I don't particularly have an interest in carrying a baton in Texas as I can't envision a situation in which stabbing or shooting the miscreant would not produce the desired result faster in a situation in which deadly force is authorized.  If I can't carry a big knife or a pistol somewhere, I can't carry the club either.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Open carrying pistols and rifles is ok. But a metal stick is restricted?

WTF...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Open carrying pistols and rifles is ok. But a metal stick is restricted?

WTF...
View Quote
And starting Sept 1, we can carry swords, bowie knives, daggers, etc.... but yeah, stick scary
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
I have an old Convoy blackjack, where can I get me one of those?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They are in fact great.  Much mo better energy transfer.  Relative to the ASP, it looks/feels like you're carrying a collapsible aluminum baseball bat.

Quoted:
Winchester was the biggest and best but haven't seen them since 2005. ASP and the rest are ok but having used them on people I got better results with a SL20.
I have a Winchester.  I was issued one in 2007.  They're the same baton, just a different manufacturer now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#38]
ASPs suck.  I've NEVER seen one work well on a bad guy, even with good hit placement and some serious muscle behind them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  Batons are all classified as deadly weapons in the state of Texas and are a felony to possess. ... Batons include: PR 24, Straight Sticks, Expandable, etc. This means in the state of Texas, to carry a baton as a security officer, you must be a Level-3 Commissioned Officer and also possess a baton card.
View Quote
What retarded site did you pull that off of?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
School me on who has the best collapsible police baton?

I like them, don't have one, would like one to just play with.
View Quote
We were issued ASP telescoping batons. Never used it on the street. 
Really, the tonfa or nunchaku can be better tactically. Police departments chose telescoping batons because of how convenient they are to carry and wear when collapsed. 
You just want to play with it? Get a fidget spinner or Zippo lighter. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:16:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:55:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Seems like a lot of "The Great State Of Texas" but not so great if you ever feel like defending yourself.

To the OP, get an RCB.  Monandock is pretty good, ASP is absolute garbage
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:05:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Seems like a lot of "The Great State Of Texas" but not so great if you ever feel like defending yourself.

View Quote
The use of force laws are great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:20:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
In Nebraska,  what can I carry other than my pistol?    I have a carry permit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:29:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I carry an ASP at work.  I mostly use it to prop open the door to the morgue when letting in a livery service.

Given I will most likely be fired if I ever hit someone with the silly thing, I would only ever use it if it was a lethal force scenario.  Of course in that case why would I use a fucking baton?  I wish I could just leave it in my locker to save weight on my belt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:47:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Back in the'80's, we trained officers to use the baton primarily as a compliance tool. Lots of fun things you can do with them besides tonk people. The only strike I ever had confidence in was the downward stroke, as in sword fighting. Moreso with the ASP than the PR-24. I'm way too old now to waste time with contact weapons. Distance is my friend. I'll shoot you long before I can smell you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:50:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Monadnock > ASP.  

Better locking mechanism.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#48]
American ironwood baton is best baton.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:44:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Old hickory is what I started out carrying as a cop and the only baton that really worked. Several brands of collapsibles have performed poorly for me.

J-
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Texas does not have a classification of "deadly weapons".   They are not a felony to posses.  Batons are covered under clubs in Penal Code 46.02, and are a misdemeanor to carry on or about your person unless at a place where alcohol is sold, then it is a felony.   A person who holds a Valid LTC is exempt from this law, as is a person on their own premise or premises under their control, or inside of or directly enroute to  motor vehicle or watercraft that the person owns or is under the persons's control.  There are MANY other exceptions as well.

For a security officer, a level 3 is all that is required, not a "baton card"  

Where did you find that misinformation?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top