Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
There can be only one.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Just picked this one up on Saturday.  The "aged in rum casks" is what caught my attention.  Being a Bourbon novice its a bit harsh, but has some interesting flavors.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just picked this one up on Saturday.  The "aged in rum casks" is what caught my attention.  Being a Bourbon novice its a bit harsh, but has some interesting flavors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Except that is a Rye.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is worth a try if you run across a bottle at a decent price.

I picked one up today. Looking forward to having some this evening.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My latest go to
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Except that is a Rye.
View Quote
And here I thought it was just a version....At least you were nice about it.  Live and learn.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#7]
So I just spent a week in the San Diego to Orange County area and did some bourbon hunting in both small mom and pop and chain stores while I was there. Here are my findings.

1. So Cal does not really have any better selection than my area of Central Texas. In fact, Items that are regularly available here are not available there.
2. The proprietors of the stores there do not seem as interested or as knowledgeable about bourbon as those here in Texas. They all knew a lot about wine.
3. They did have Blantons. Both the mom and pop stores as well as the chains carry it. I did see it on the shelf in two stores. They both told me it doesn't last on the shelf long. It was going for $129 at both stores. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on it. I tried Blantons for the first time at a local saloon there, and have to say it was excellent. Just not $129 excellent in my opinion.
4. Overall prices were higher in So Cal than Texas. I guess this is no surprise with taxes and such.
5. I did not find anything unique enough within my price range to buy and take home on the plane. I was happy to learn that we have it pretty good here, bourbon wise.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't want a $100 bottle of whiskey.

I want a $30 bottle and $70 in my wallet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Elmer T Lee is fantastic and less than $50
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Eagle Rare
Bulleit
Buffalo Trace
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eagle Rare
Bulleit
Buffalo Trace
I have yet to try Eagle Rare. It's on my list.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can't say as I have seen that, but haven't been looking for it either. I will have to give it a go.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And here I thought it was just a version....At least you were nice about it.  Live and learn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that is a Rye.
Hey, Rye is great! Here is one I bought to try today.

Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Bud Light
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bud Light
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Can't say as I have seen that, but haven't been looking for it either. I will have to give it a go.
View Quote
Unfortunately ETL has suffered under the "Buy All The Buffalo Trace Things" trend.   Two or three years ago, it wasn't unusual to find it still on the shelf for $35.   Now if you can find it, it's $50 and up, depending on how savvy the liquor store manager is.

Personally I don't feel it's worth the money now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is worth a try if you run across a bottle at a decent price.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/IMG_7570-311573.JPG
View Quote
Notice how the proof of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof has dropped out of the high 130s. I presume this means they're using younger, lower proof bourbon in the mixture now that they no longer put an age statement on any of their bottles.

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Notice how the proof of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof has dropped out of the high 130s. I presume this means they're using younger, lower proof bourbon in the mixture now that they no longer put an age statement on any of their bottles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/IMG_7570-311573.JPG

Given the current demand, this is becoming a common theme among distillers. Many have gone away from putting age on the bottles and are lowering proof.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Belle Meade single barrel 10 year is back in stock at my local Specs. I think I will have to pickup another bottle. I really like this stuff.

Has anyone tried their Bourbon aged in Sherry casks? The bourbon guy at Specs recommends it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Belle Meade single barrel 10 year is back in stock at my local Specs. I think I will have to pickup another bottle. I really like this stuff.

Has anyone tried their Bourbon aged in Sherry casks? The bourbon guy at Specs recommends it.
View Quote
First warning sign is that they're pushing it.  Second warning sign is cask finish, aka "bourbon so good we had to put it in a wine barrel to give it some flavor ".

The cask finished whiskeys I've had have all been far too sherry forward for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Bulliet
Buffalo Trace

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
First warning sign is that they're pushing it.  Second warning sign is cask finish, aka "bourbon so good we had to put it in a wine barrel to give it some flavor ".

The cask finished whiskeys I've had have all been far too sherry forward for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. It's even more expensive than the Belle Meade 10 year Single Barrel. I think I will stick with what I know and like.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bulliet
Buffalo Trace

View Quote
I'd have to agree that Bulliet is one of the best bang for your buck bourbons out there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's still age stated 12 years, and in my opinion, extremely delicious. An absolute bargain if you can find it for $60.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's still age stated 12 years, and in my opinion, extremely delicious. An absolute bargain if you can find it for $60.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I could find it here. I have never seen it in my travels.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
E T Lee has become very scarce around here for the last couple years.

I saw a bottle in a store a couple months ago for $99.99

When it was running about $40 it was good to go. Now? Not so much.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks. It's even more expensive than the Belle Meade 10 year Single Barrel. I think I will stick with what I know and like.
View Quote
Well, if it helps your decision process, one of those will still be on the shelf 12 or 18 months from now... and it will be the sherry aged.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have been reading good things about Balcones Single Malt Whiskey made right here. Anybody tried it?
View Quote
It's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been reading good things about Balcones Single Malt Whiskey made right here. Anybody tried it?
It's awesome.
Thanks. They sure are proud of it though. Selling for around $65 here. The True Blue goes for close to $100.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Been a bit busy, and my wallet needed a break.
Stopped in my store today and they had this set aside for me.
Never had this one, looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200513/DB0F2A4F-4F5B-44F3-AA35-9BDEF43CE560-324279.jpg
View Quote
That is awesome. You'll have to let us know how it is. I have been trying to refine my whiskey tasting skills. I'll be providing a review later tonight for a bottle of Makers I picked up last week. I just missed out on some Weller 12 yesterday by about 30 minutes.
Oh, and I get the finances thing. I need to settle down on my purchasing.

ETA: I just realized the proof on that bad boy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That is awesome. You'll have to let us know how it is. I have been trying to refine my whiskey tasting skills. I'll be providing a review later tonight for a bottle of Makers I picked up last week. I just missed out on some Weller 12 yesterday by about 30 minutes.

View Quote
I was in Houston over the weekend, and my son recommended a small store.
4 bottles of 12yr and a huge big bottle of 12yr, they were overpriced.

I bought 2 big bottles of Antique 107 and got a bottle of Eagle Rare (new to me)...it is good but I wouldn't call it great, decent pour for the price $30
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200513/DB0F2A4F-4F5B-44F3-AA35-9BDEF43CE560-324279.jpg

Follow up:
As a barrel proof fan:
This is the smoothest and tastiest I have tried yet in the higher proofs, mild hint of sweetness.
It is a delight to sip neat
Around $60
12 yr
More pics so you can get info, hopefully others can score.

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I bought 2 big bottles of Antique 107 and got a bottle of Eagle Rare (new to me)...it is good but I wouldn't call it great, decent pour for the price $30
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you not paying out the nose for that stuff. I was in San Diego last week and they had Blantons for $130 a bottle. I said no thanks. Today, out of the blue I stopped in a small shop and found a bottle locally for $65.
I have heard both good and bad about eagle rare, but have never seen it for sale personally.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Follow up:
As a barrel proof fan:
This is the smoothest and tastiest I have tried yet in the higher proofs, mild hint of sweetness.
Around $60
12 yr
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200513/D75AB645-B131-4E05-950C-292ACFDAF44B-324527.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200513/4D5C0A46-00B4-4A77-A1D8-07B3D76751FA-324528.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Follow up:
As a barrel proof fan:
Around $60
12 yr
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200513/D75AB645-B131-4E05-950C-292ACFDAF44B-324527.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200513/4D5C0A46-00B4-4A77-A1D8-07B3D76751FA-324528.jpg
That is great to hear. Glad you found one that appeals to you. I will have to keep my eyes and ears open for that one as I also prefer the higher proof bourbons. I did not have an opportunity to taste the Makers last night as I got wrapped up in work until late. I will hopefully get around to that in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#36]
2018 winners

Attachment Attached File

Saw this is my feed today
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got a new one to to try, and replaced my stock of Knob Creek Single bbl 120
This is not expensive but for price point is supposed to be good, I will let y'all know.
It is kinda rare around here, my store doesn't even keep it out front, got 3 bottles in today, and said it'd be a month before he sees anymore.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200513/IMG_4714_JPG-301553.jpg
View Quote
107 is hard to find around here.
Special Reserve is common and I’ve never seen 12 yr on a shelf
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have yet to try Eagle Rare. It's on my list.
View Quote
Very solid
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#39]
jim murray sucks...he jumped the shark years ago.

EHT four grain sucks, too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's like reading a list of the best European supercars.  They may be the best, but most of us will never be able to get hold of one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Bulleit and Basil Haydens.

Both way less than a C-note too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had this over the weekend, I was all
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Just cracked a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year. It's going to go well with my Ribeye.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Weller
Blantons
Makers &makers 46

Weller is the wheated that didn't make the cut to be pappy, or its the other way around. I cnt remember. I will ask again next week when I am on the tour again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the clear up .. I honestly had no idea who he was
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Im looking for a good one.
View Quote
I bought a real nice used full size china cabinet for mine.  

Amazing how cheap those things are then I realized why when I went to move it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Breckenridge
Eagle Rare
Blantons
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Scored a bottle of William Larue Weller Limited Edition Barrel Proof today at Costco-$70. Anyone have any info on this?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Wifey got me a bottle of EH Taylor single barrel for driving our happy asses to Iowa last weekend.  Excited to revisit this one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Scored a bottle of William Larue Weller Limited Edition Barrel Proof today at Costco-$70. Anyone have any info on this?
View Quote
That's part of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.   Don't open it until you check out the prices on bottle-spot.  Going for around $600 right now.  I don't know if that's what you have, or maybe it's a new release, but at any rate, it should be a very good wheater.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top