Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2017 2:20:00 PM EDT
Pardon another daily driver shit thread of mine. I keep finding awesome rigs and they turn out to be too goo to be true or pieces of shit. Anyway i know K5's are super popular and this year especially since they added EFI. Found this ad on craigslist:

1989 FULL-SIZE K5 BLAZER, BRAND NEW 12000# WINCH VERY NICE STRONG MOTOR, AUTO, AM,FM, PW, CB, POWER LOCKS ROLLBAR ,CD 4" LIFT 35"TIRES IN STORAGE ALL WINTER, FIRST COME FIRST TAKE. ONLY NEEDS A CARPET KIT AND A LITTLE PAINT WORK, MINOR DETAIL STUFF. NO MAJOR RUST, JUST A FEW SMALL SURFACE RUST SPOTS, VERY SMALL. $4995 cash

You guys think that is a bit high for one of these? I like broncos and jeeps mostly but everyone says these blow em out of the water, and for daily driver the EFI helps and the top comes off which is cool.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 90, my two buddies both had 89's.

Mine went way over 200k.  If there's no rot, FO hard.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
fo, my '84 is a sweet weekender.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice...

100% rust buckets here, unless lovingly cared for indoors.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pair of 84 M1009 CUCVs I need to sell one of these days
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Had an 81'.  It was rust rotting away before any of the mechanicals were dying at 100K.  I sold it for profit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Had an 81'.  It was rust rotting away before any of the mechanicals were dying at 100K.  I sold it for profit.
View Quote
I think they started using galvanized steel in 1988 so rust was not as bad?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad had a '77 he drove for a number of years. I was impressed with how much that thing was a tank, bone stock except tires. The only reason he sold it was he rolled it when it slipped off the road on an icy corner. He still misses it to this day.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think they started using galvanized steel in 1988 so rust was not as bad?
View Quote
LOL

The frames held up tremendously well.  The floor and body mounts not so much.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
How easy are these to work on or find parts for?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How easy are these to work on or find parts for?
View Quote
Incredibly easy to work on.  

Finding parts is an absolute breeze.  For your carpet, hit up LMC Truck.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]
In for info, I'm hoping to find a decent one to pick up when I move to Alaska as a trail/hunting/beater rig.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I pass on every vehicle the second I see wires hanging underneath the dash.

Maybe its just a poorly wired sounds system but it just screams shoddy maintenance to me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Maybe its just a poorly wired sounds system but it just screams shoddy maintenance to me.
View Quote
I noticed that too, maybe its to the speakers in the rear seat or CB radio?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Can you wrench on your own shit? If not I'd skip on a older vehicle.

Back wind are a pain in the ass. Tail gates all crack at corners. Hoods crease at crumple zone. Those early TBI injections really suck.

If you are planning to build it up to an awesome rig, I'd consider earlier model for emmisions reasons if applicable in your area. LSX 6.0L with 4L80 out of a mid 2000s 3/4 ton would make any unit with good bones an exceptional driver and for cheap.

They flex pretty decent off-road with little work for leaf springs. Lots of room inside too. You can but restoration parts for probably 100% of everything on one at this point.

Good long term investment. They are appreciating FAST!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#15]
If the body is good that seems like a decent price
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, the only caveat I can think of for those years is the emissions system.  GM seemingly threw all kinds of different shit on.

You know how I said me and two buddies all had 89-90 k5's?  All three had different emission systems.  I had a "ball" converter with no air pipe.  The others had two flavors of air cat with air pumps.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
The thing is almost 30 years old.  It's was maintained pretty decent to make it in good shape.  Wiring isn't a big deal.  I'd plan on replacing the wiring if I were going to DD it.  I've been in the market for a nice K5.  Most are bubbaed up or big $$$.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been wanting a K5 for a while to become my designated dune truck. So many sexy 70s and 80s out there it's not fair.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 1990 Dodge RamCharger that was a fire department's truck.  It had 80 some odd thousand miles on it when I bought it in January 2015.

The guy was asking $6,300 for it.

I asked him if he would take $5,300 for it and he jumped all over it.

I am kicking myself because I should have offered $4,300 since he jumped on $5,300 so quickly.

But looking at your pics of the K5...if everything looked as good in person...that $4995 figure seems really reasonable.

if you throw out 4,000 as an offer, the worst he can say is no.

EDIT:  the aluminum tread plate on the inside of the doors and on other parts of the interior could be worrisome.

Was he trying to hide some damage?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Price looks good.  I looked at CL ones in my area and several were $7500 and only one lower..$4000
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a '79 K5.
That thing was unstoppable.
I miss being able to sit in the engine compartment and work on a truck.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I noticed that too, maybe its to the speakers in the rear seat or CB radio?
View Quote
Most likely speakers - but for an owner not to take the extra 10 minutes to tidy up the wiring speaks volumes to me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Had a lifted with 35inch bfg on my 81 Scottsdale pick up.

Would buy that in a Hart beat.

Love the older Chevy truck, K5's

Nothing better but maybe the Military ones with Diesel motors And three quarter ton or 1 ton axles
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#24]
SSSHHH... Don't tell anyone on here. I have been planning on getting one, and i want the prices to stay low.

Also, a GMC Jimmy from the same time, can be found for cheaper if you look, and they are equivalent.

Relevant to your interests.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jwmerrick
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.

About as simple as it gets in a modern(ish) platform.

Super cheap to maintain/repair as well.

I would be all over that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Had a stock 90 full size GMC Jimmy, 350 with a 700R4 trans, thing always ran good, but the backseat floorboards rotted out where the floor 90'd up to the rear seat perch. I could look back and watch my tires turn with the carpet pulled back. Only real problem I had other than rusting out, was it would go through rear U-joints...everything was good, pinion angle, etcy , I ran good U joints (Spicer), and greased religiously, but usually about once a year I'd have to change out the rear u-joint, never could get it figured out, other than that, it was a great truck, if it hadn't rotted out so bad, I probably would of kept it longer.

I'd look over it good, pay attention to your pinion angles, especially since it's been lifted, but a good lift should correct the pinion angles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I love my CUCV M1009 and if it had AC in it I would drive it every day
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool truck, but I would definitely get some pics of the frame/undercarriage before even considering it. 
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#29]
My buddy had a late 80's Jimmy forever until he wrecked it. Decent ride, but the 10 bolt axles suck on the later ones. Seems like a decent one at a good price.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My buddy had a late 80's Jimmy forever until he wrecked it. Decent ride, but the 10 bolt axles suck on the later ones. Seems like a decent one at a good price.
View Quote
What was wrong with the axles?  I thought the later ones were 30 spline instead of the 28 on my 84 K10.  10 bolts were never known to be very strong.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#31]
mines a 90 and I just discovered some rust through on a rear wheel well. kinda sucks but inevitable.
mine doesnt get as bad of mileage as I thought it would.
Speedo/odometer doesnt work so no idea on mpg.
fun truck.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]

I had a 1972 K5, full convertible, metallic Bronze. Must have been a special order color because the truck wasn't a Silverado or a Cheyenne or CST. Base model with special color option, AF/FM, AC, 350/350.

I loved the truck even with it's 6mpg. I paid $4500 for it.

Identical this one was for sale for $13,500

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Had a 85 m1009 and a 84 civi diesel. Civie was a manual transmission and miss both dearly.

I have been looking for a m1008 to get back into it again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ive found parts to be kind of difficult.
The rear bench seatbelt setup is backwards. (female lap belt into male floor end) and you cannot find the male floor ends to save your life.
About the only place that I can find that makes aftermarket stuff (bumpers etc) is Diy4x.com.
As far as seals and ujoints etc, simple.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ive found parts to be kind of difficult.
The rear bench seatbelt setup is backwards. (female lap belt into male floor end) and you cannot find the male floor ends to save your life.
About the only place that I can find that makes aftermarket stuff (bumpers etc) is Diy4x.com.
As far as seals and ujoints etc, simple.
View Quote
Offroad design sells stuff too.

I've got a 84 and just bought a soft top for it, fuck jeeps.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#36]
M1009 here, daily driver/camper/off-road vehicle.

Picked it up at auction w/ 92,000 miles on the odometer for $1303.  

Replaced starter, replaced batteries (shitcanned the 6tmf and replaced with group 31 size) replaced tires, did under dash starter relay mod.  Replaced a couple of rubber fittings here and there.  Did coolant flush, axle gear oil changes.  Hit all the lube order fittings.  Replaced drive shaft u-joints (fore and aft).  Replaced box fuel filter with spin on adapter.

Added a rostra controls cruise control.

Eventually, I'll add air conditioning to it and herculiner the bed/floorpan.  

Still needs new shocks.

It's at 5k miles on the odo, now.   Rolled over to all zeros at Big Bend last year.  

Far down the line, probably after injector pump rebuild, I'll think about some body work and repainting it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#37]
You never see a (running) K5 in New Jersey any more.  If by chance you do, it's a complete rust bucket.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#38]
'84 K5 owner here.

Easy to work on for the most part

Parts arent as easy as you think, unless you want ChiCom crap. Cash for Clunkers wiped out alot of the K5s.

Dont bother putting carpet back in it, Rino or Line X the inside or DIY, that is what i did. I put some rubber mats down and called it a day.

As a daily driver, they are actually pleasant to drive, plenty of room inside, but the gas mileage will be horrible, even with an FI motor.

A few things I would check on that particular vehicle:

Look at the where the steering box bolts to the frame, esp the bolt holes, look for cracks. Its an easy fix and even easier preventive issue with a brace kit

Look to see if the lift is done correctly - dropped pitman arm , lowered T-Case and extended brake lines.

Check out CK5.com aka ColoradoK5.com wealth of info with down to earth ppl. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#39]
My old K5 is the only vehicle I regret selling.

Smog legal torque monster, 33" tires (3.73 gears) it would bark all four in low range
Two batteries, big alternator, three amplifiers, ten speakers.  I built the hell out of that thing
Wasn't a very practical family vehicle especially with a newborn.  So away it went

I still miss it
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a 1990 Dodge RamCharger that was a fire department's truck.  It had 80 some odd thousand miles on it when I bought it in January 2015.

The guy was asking $6,300 for it.

I asked him if he would take $5,300 for it and he jumped all over it.

I am kicking myself because I should have offered $4,300 since he jumped on $5,300 so quickly.

But looking at your pics of the K5...if everything looked as good in person...that $4995 figure seems really reasonable.

if you throw out 4,000 as an offer, the worst he can say is no.

EDIT:  the aluminum tread plate on the inside of the doors and on other parts of the interior could be worrisome.

Was he trying to hide some damage?
View Quote
As long as it isn't a rust-bucket, 5300 is pretty fair these days.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My old K5 is the only vehicle I regret selling.

Smog legal torque monster, 33" tires (3.73 gears) it would bark all four in low range
Two batteries, big alternator, three amplifiers, ten speakers.  I built the hell out of that thing
Wasn't a very practical family vehicle especially with a newborn.  So away it went

I still miss it
View Quote
Same here with me. New motor, tranny, Tcase, axles, huge radiator,electric fans,etc. I spent too much cash on it, and sold it for $7500 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
M1009 here, daily driver/camper/off-road vehicle.

Picked it up at auction w/ 92,000 miles on the odometer for $1303.  

Replaced starter, replaced batteries (shitcanned the 6tmf and replaced with group 31 size) replaced tires, did under dash starter relay mod.  Replaced a couple of rubber fittings here and there.  Did coolant flush, axle gear oil changes.  Hit all the lube order fittings.  Replaced drive shaft u-joints (fore and aft).  Replaced box fuel filter with spin on adapter.

Added a rostra controls cruise control.

Eventually, I'll add air conditioning to it and herculiner the bed/floorpan.  

Still needs new shocks.

It's at 5k miles on the odo, now.   Rolled over to all zeros at Big Bend last year.  

http://i.imgur.com/BYCAu0p.jpg

Far down the line, probably after injector pump rebuild, I'll think about some body work and repainting it.
View Quote
Very cool.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I had a tranny crossmember fail on my 85 K5

was a poor factory weld
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I had a tranny crossmember fail on my 85 K5

was a poor factory weld
View Quote
look for... the Union label...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a 78 on 38.5s. the factory transmission died so I put a sm465 and np205 with a hydraulic clutch setup in it. It was an awesome vehicle. Dad got sick and I needed the money to take time off work so i sold it. Don't regret the reasoning but I do miss it. Check the wiring there carefully. I know you're in Idaho but the a/c is gutted and if that matters could run into $$$ to fix. Also, Don't see it in the pictures but it should have been upgraded to dual batteries and a stronger alternator to pull that big ass winch.

Hood hinge reinforcements are a must before the hood bends on you. Hood hinges aren't that expensive and are insurance against this as well. Also check the frame where the steering box mounts. they like to crack out there. Luckily there are easy fixes, also smart to do them as preventative if no cracks yet.

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I had a 1972 K5, full convertible, metallic Bronze. Must have been a special order color because the truck wasn't a Silverado or a Cheyenne or CST. Base model with special color option, AF/FM, AC, 350/350.

I loved the truck even with it's 6mpg. I paid $4500 for it.

Identical this one was for sale for $13,500

http://www.2040-cars.com/_content/cars/images/74/619874/001.jpg
View Quote
I have been trying to talk my neighbor out of his '71 for years now.  Doesn't drive it, it just sits.  I hope one day he gives in even if it is just to shut me up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Look at the where the steering box bolts to the frame, esp the bolt holes, look for cracks. Its an easy fix and even easier preventive issue with a brace kit
View Quote
I had a metal plate wielded on to the frame because the steering box caused issues...weak point on the frame. Once that was done never gave me a problem again

Rear drive line U joints are disposable or at least seemed that way. Two battery set up is the only way to go with that winch.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I run a dual battery setup. I have a removable winch setup. WHen I had my front bumper built, I made sure it had a receiver built into it.

Im using a Hellroaring system for my dual batteries.

I dont know about the year OP is looking at, but on my '84, adding a second battery tray was easy, there was a spot on the drivers side, even the wheel well sheet metal had dimples for the bolt holes, just drill and mount. Can get a "left" side battery tray thru LMC. Wiring is pretty simple, jus google.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd drive the shit out of that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I still want a 70-72 or 73-75 Blazer. Those are the ones with the completely removable top. Some day....some day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top