Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a great idea...until it passes and you can't find them in stock anywhere.  This passes and a few things will happen: 1. Demand will go through the roof, 2. Prices will go through the roof, and 3. The supply will dry up overnight.

So yeah...in concept, I am 100% in favor of this passing, but I can see the average person not really benefitting from it at all. ex. You'll have a handful of people running out and buying up all of the inventory they can find and flipping it for two or more times the purchase price.  

The one perk would be the wait time decreasing.  That and who knows...after the initial rush, producers might be able to crank out enough silencers that they can eventually start to get the prices down a bit (economies of scale).
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a great idea...until it passes and you can't find them in stock anywhere.  This passes and a few things will happen: 1. Demand will go through the roof, 2. Prices will go through the roof, and 3. The supply will dry up overnight.

So yeah...in concept, I am 100% in favor of this passing, but I can see the average person not really benefitting from it at all. ex. You'll have a handful of people running out and buying up all of the inventory they can find and flipping it for two or more times the purchase price.  

The one perk would be the wait time decreasing.  That and who knows...after the initial rush, producers might be able to crank out enough silencers that they can eventually start to get the prices down a bit (economies of scale).
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The SHARE Act is where our effort needs to be focused.  The HPA hasn't gained any traction on its own.
View Quote
I agree. I'll email my rep about it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
We should probably just give up then huh.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah ever since the AWB sunset it's been insanely difficult to get EBRs and standard cap mags.

My eyes just rolled so hard I detached one of my retinae
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Slow down, and breathe.

Something seems to be cutting off the oxygen supply to your brain.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I understand the source of your concern, but that's just not how capitalism works man.  There will be a FLOOD of manufaturers in the market and prices will DROP.  See: The Palmetto State Armory Effect
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pickle Rick was a friend of mine.   Sir, you're no Pickle Rick.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
HPA list of co-sponsors

Need 38 more co-sponsors !!
Look on this list - if your guy or gal ain't on here, give him or her a jingle.
View Quote
Ahhh yisss, my boy Garrett is a co-sponsor.
Interesting to see Goodlatte isn't signed on, unless I've missed him somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOLOL

Supply might catch up with demand?  These aren't diamonds, they're metal tubes.   Of course they'll crank them out by the millions and prices will plummet.  Just like AR15's.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LOLOL

Supply might catch up with demand?  These aren't diamonds, they're metal tubes.   Of course they'll crank them out by the millions and prices will plummet.  Just like AR15's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOLOL

Every machine shop in the country will start cranking out parts for 80% kits if they're kept as title 1 firearms, or complete suppressors if they're completely unregulated.  I know I've got two solvent traps waiting for me to either pay the $200 tax on each or for this to get passed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Get back to me if and when this passes and you can't find anything you want in stock...then tell me how awesome this is.

Quoted:
I understand the source of your concern, but that's just not how capitalism works man.  There will be a FLOOD of manufaturers in the market and prices will DROP.  See: The Palmetto State Armory Effect
We'll see. I can see it working out great in the long-term. However, in the short-term...I can see people getting frustrated over it (thinking they'll be able to run out and buy what they want).

Yes...there will be a flood of new $h1t on the market. However, if you want a good can from an established company...good luck with that.

Quoted:
I bought one this weekend. My point was more aimed at people that are waiting for this to pass...thinking: 1. It has a chance, and 2. They're actually going to be able to find a good silencer in stock at that point.  

I think it's just going to awesome overnight.  It might take years for the supply and demand to balance out.  

Quoted:
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]
From my libtard democrat congressman, Ted Deutch (Douche):

Attachment Attached File

My reply:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
That is going to be the hurdle...finding democrats that are willing to commit political suicide by supporting this.  To liberals...the only reason that someone could possibly want a silencer is if they're up to no good.  

You can throw out there..."If I'm going to be target shooting on my property...wouldn't you prefer that I use a silencer, so you don't have to hear it (I just ordered a .22lr can)?"  Even if that's actually the reason why MANY people want one...they don't buy it and they aren't going to buy it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Get back to me if and when this passes and you can't find anything you want in stock...then tell me how awesome this is.

We'll see. I can see it working out great in the long-term. However, in the short-term...I can see people getting frustrated over it (thinking they'll be able to run out and buy what they want).

Yes...there will be a flood of new $h1t on the market. However, if you want a good can from an established company...good luck with that.

I bought one this weekend. My point was more aimed at people that are waiting for this to pass...thinking: 1. It has a chance, and 2. They're actually going to be able to find a good silencer in stock at that point.  

I think it's just going to awesome overnight.  It might take years for the supply and demand to balance out.  

View Quote

Your logic is all sorts of retarded. We should oppose lifting the MG ban too because it will just be too hard to find machine guns.

out of
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/7dc433a7fd2cbc1730886d5ff46af248/tumblr_ml2dnzk2az1rxde6go1_400.gif

Your logic is all sorts of retarded. We should oppose lifting the MG ban too because it will just be too hard to find machine guns.

out of
View Quote
I'm not saying that I oppose it. I don't. I'm just saying that the immediate result is not going to be what many people are hoping for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not saying that I oppose it. I don't. I'm just saying that the immediate result is not going to be what many people are hoping for.
View Quote
Are you 12? Who cares about "immediate result"?

The long term benefits of this legislation far surpass any short term constriction of the market.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you 12? Who cares about "immediate result"?

The long term benefits of this legislation far surpass any short term constriction of the market.
View Quote
Oh, I don't know...maybe people that are holding off on purchasing silencers at the moment because they think this is going to pass and that they'll be able to run out and buy what they want without a 7+ month wait.

There are apparently at least a few of them floating around out there, because my usual gun guy (....as I said...I ordered a silencer this weekend) had commented that multiple people had said to him that they were planning on waiting to see if this legislation gets passed.  His take was the same as mine...people that are waiting at the moment and planning on pulling the trigger the moment the legislation passes are going to be disappointed.

I'm not 12. I get that long-term it's a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is going to be the hurdle...finding democrats that are willing to commit political suicide by supporting this.  To liberals...the only reason that someone could possibly want a silencer is if they're up to no good.  

You can throw out there..."If I'm going to be target shooting on my property...wouldn't you prefer that I use a silencer, so you don't have to hear it (I just ordered a .22lr can)?"  Even if that's actually the reason why MANY people want one...they don't buy it and they aren't going to buy it.
View Quote
For sure. Another approach is selling it as a very "European" idea. Libs love Euro concepts and they in turn love suppressors more than the actual firearms themselves. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Emailed Paul "THECUCK" Ryan and my Congressman Blake Farethold.  Blake is already on board with this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Hope you've all peppered your reps about this as much as you post in GD.

Let's get this thing to a vote.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those conditions would be temporary.  The market would respond.

And even if it didn't....freedom to own expensive suppressors is superior to heavy regulatory compliance to own cheap ones.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everyone Is Now Dumber - Billy Madison
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And even if it didn't....freedom to own expensive suppressors is superior to heavy regulatory compliance to own cheap ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed. The market would correct itself in time.

What I posted is exactly what will happen in the short term. I'm sorry that my logic is beyond your comprehension.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What I posted is exactly what will happen in the short term. I'm sorry that my logic is beyond your comprehension.
View Quote

Thank you for your concern.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you posted was concern-trolling
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh, I don't know...maybe people that are holding off on purchasing silencers at the moment because they think this is going to pass and that they'll be able to run out and buy what they want without a 7+ month wait.

There are apparently at least a few of them floating around out there, because my usual gun guy (....as I said...I ordered a silencer this weekend) had commented that multiple people had said to him that they were planning on waiting to see if this legislation gets passed.  His take was the same as mine...people that are waiting at the moment and planning on pulling the trigger the moment the legislation passes are going to be disappointed.

View Quote
Good, then lets all get on the good idea bus and contact our reps. Pressure is what will make this pass.

Personally, I have no dog in the fight because I already have 11 suppressors, but it would be nice to have the option without going through the long waits.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I was not trying to troll anyone. I was just trying to point out a likely short-term side-effect that I have not seen mentioned previously.

Quoted:

Good, then lets all get on the good idea bus and contact our reps. Pressure is what will make this pass.

Personally, I have no dog in the fight because I already have 11 suppressors, but it would be nice to have the option without going through the long waits.
I'd like at least a couple more, so I definitely have a dog in this race.  It would be nice to be able to walk out the door with my next one instead of having to deal with the 7+ month ATF $h1t show.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was not trying to troll anyone. I was just trying to point out a likely short-term side-effect that I have not seen mentioned previously.

I'd like at least a couple more, so I definitely have a dog in this race.  It would be nice to be able to walk out the door with my next one instead of having to deal with the 7+ month ATF $h1t show.
View Quote
I retract that...I DO have dogs in the race. Specifically $1800 worth of tax stamp refunds assuming that portion of the bill isn't sacrificed. (I went nuts on suppressors from fall 2015 through 41F implementation).

The second dog I have is the same as everyone else's here. Turning back the tide of 20th century 2nd Amendment infringement. This is the reason any temporary market constriction that comes from passage doesn't matter. Then once they're "in common use" (an argument can already be made that they are) they'll be that much more difficult for the neo-communists to ban outright.

Edit for clarity.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess I need to write and call that useless PoS Brian Babbin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Meh, it ain't like it is difficult to put one together. Most "innovation" is making them last longer because of the stupid rules for a muffler.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You should look around more.  We have had several threads on this topic, I have personally stated on this forum that in the short term demand will dry up and prices will skyrocket.  

But with companies like Ruger, and Smith and Wesson now ready to produce cans.  As well as companies with big time manufacturing capacity getting involved (PSA etc) it won't take long at all for the supply to catch up and we will all have $30 22lr cans.  

Also I think this version of the bill allows for imported suppressors.  If that is true there will be a flood of cheap Chinese stamped baffle cans over here as fast as the frickin boat can go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

See: The Palmetto State Armory Effect
View Quote
Now I'm just sitting here daydreaming about PSA churning cheap cans out by the truck load. I can practically see the Daily Deals emails right now. Adding 5 cans to my cart and checking out for under $1k. Picking them up at the local FFL in under a week. Yep...I'll be in my bunk.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a lathe ...so none of what you wrote applies, but  carry on...
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd 3d print a metric shit ton of disposable .22 cans.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
YEARS?

Are you fucking with us? Because it sounds like you're fucking with us.

Try six months. Suppressor companies can crank out a LOT of cans in a short period of time, they are very simple to make. Run the shop 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, hire some more help, and they can increase output in a short period of time. Bigger companies can do so in a heartbeat.

Suppressor companies aren't working at capacity as is, due to the limited market.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#37]
This fell back a few pages.

Ignore the bickering, contact your reps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Contacted my Reps.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#41]
To the top! Call your reps!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#42]
It's been "Placed on the Union Calendar, Calendar No. 224" I'm currently trying to figure out when/where it was placed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then shut the fuck up and get on board here. The long term on this one far outweighs your bullshit handwringing over a temporary market constriction.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Does this mean it's getting a straight up vote?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's been "Placed on the Union Calendar, Calendar No. 224" I'm currently trying to figure out when/where it was placed.
View Quote
Another step! 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Then shut the fuck up and get on board here. The long term on this one far outweighs your bullshit handwringing over a temporary market constriction.
View Quote
What I might do is write a few politicians and tell them to vote against this...just for you.  

Not really, but seriously...you come off as a real piece of work. Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1000000

I dont care how long there is a drought or how hard it is to find a can to buy.
I just want to be able to walk in, and back out with a can in the same day when I do find one.

Hell if nothing else I will start building my own until I can find a commercially produced one I like.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What I might do is write a few politicians and tell them to vote against this...just for you.  

Not really, but seriously...you come off as a real piece of work. Good luck with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he doesn't.  He comes off as someone sick of the bullshit people like you keep spewing.  

Just like all the "it's neva gon happen" people.  STFU or help.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Market demand and price don't matter when you build your own....

That's what I'm waiting for.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top